• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

The Hanafuda stage can be on the top of a very japanese love hotel ! xD

Maybe it can have a "rage mechanic" (or maybe higher chance of item drops ?) when people go above the clouds so if you try to fight in the upper part of the level, you are leaving luck to heaven ? =D

Frofro

Banned
There was a rumor going around earlier saying the next wave will include Wolf, Squirtle and............Metal Mario. I laughed, but then realized that wouldn't be the worst idea ever.

Technically already a Smash veteran, and could be an interesting heavy character.

The stages probs sold bad because they didn't advertise them at all. They mentioned them in passing in June but then just sent out a few tweets and that's it, like as much as people talk of 'teh trillionz of casuals' not thaaaaat many people follow NoA on Twitter.

Should of put out another Direct. Heck maybe they'll remind people to go buy the old stuff on the next direct they show

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There was a rumor going around earlier saying the next wave will include Wolf, Squirtle and............Metal Mario. I laughed, but then realized that wouldn't be the worst idea ever.

Technically already a Smash veteran, and could be an interesting heavy character.

Yeah, you should mention that we are supposedly to get two more stage dlc which are Sector Z and Saffron. Also the source came from 4Chan.

Drago

lol, yeah I saw that one earlier.

So lame that it's probably 100% real!

Frofro

Banned
Well Metal Mario does have a stage and a unique theme song in Smash 64, so hes not that far of a stretch....plus making him turn into Gold Mario when he gets the metal box sounds like something Sakurai would do.

I don't know how Metal Mario would make any sense when you can already be that via power up. It's like adding Giant Donkey Kong to the roster. Total nonsense.

I do wish Squirtle came back though. I would main him for sure. He was my fav in Brawl, and he'd be an awesome Amiibo. But I don't think he's likely.

kirby_fox

Banned
Metal Mario would get confused with Mario when he's got the metal box.

If we ever got a character from Smash it'd wind up being a primid or sandbag.

EulaCapra

Metal Mario getting in would signal the beginning of the end of the remainder of SmashGAF.

Very few would live through the outbreak of CAPS LOCK cursing and yelling.

PK Gaming

(Super) Metal Mario is Super dead

Remember when Nintendo seriously tried to push him way back in the day? Hah. The last 2 smash games didn't even carry on the tradition of having a designated Metal Mario fight. Now it's Metal Anyone.

Metal Mario will be introduced alongside Pink Gold Peach.

EDIT:
And then we'll get Racoon Mario, Frog Luigi, Boomerang Peach, Tanooki Rosalina, and Giant Metal Double Cherry Cat Bowser.

Golnei

Well Metal Mario does have a stage and a unique theme song in Smash 64, so hes not that far of a stretch....

Speaking of which, although it's likely his stage will never return in an official game, they really should have brought back its music by now. Even if it were an unaltered rip, it'd have fit in relatively well in the sixth slot for Peach's Castle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

This thing?

ZCPzhj4.png

It sounds lame enough it could be real. What would happen if Gold Metal Mario got a hundred coins in the NSMB2 stage, though?

Frofro

Banned
This thing?

ZCPzhj4.png

It sounds lame enough it could be real. What would happen if Gold Metal Mario got a hundred coins in the NSMB2 stage, though?

Probably nothing, or Gold Metal Mario could have a different texture. Either way its probably the same effect of being big from a mushroom, and then touching another super mushroom and nothing happens.

Metal Mario would be fulfilling a deep, childhood fantasy of mine from Smash 64.

If he had 64 walk sounds and came with his stage...

Also maybe his icon would be his old metal icon, that would be a nice touch.

This thing?

ZCPzhj4.png

I'm fine with all of that sans Metal Mario. What a totally pointless addition if true (and truly is just a Dr. Mario variation with Luigi's Side B), and somewhat tone-death after what happened with Dark Pit's reception in vanilla Smash 4.

I remember thinking they'd try and resurrect Squirtle's moveset in Smash 4 after the Charizard?Greninja reveal by giving it to Bowser Jr. and making the water effects paint instead. Sorta funny if they both wind up in the game at this point.

Metal Mario would be fulfilling a deep, childhood fantasy of mine from Smash 64.
which was granted a couple years later in its sequel called melee

Metal Mario isn't pointless if you grew up thinking him and his stage were unlockable in 64.

He's sort of a hidden vet.

It would also add another villain to Smash!

That's Mario using a metal box. Metal Mario has been an entirely separate character since Mario Golf, and continued to be one for the rest of Mario history. He's even a villain of Doctor Mario's.

I find it funny the Squirtle down special and final smash were both, almost word for word, posted in this thread a few months back.

For fun, here's a music list for Metal Cavern

Metal Mario Fight (Original). Can anyone else not listen to this music and hear clanking footsteps? It's basically ingrained into my mind to hear them.
Metal Cap (Original)
Hazy Maze Cave (Original)
Underground V2 (Remix)
Underground (Original Remix)
Super Mario World Cavern (Original)

Metal Mario being bigger would solve the issue of confusion when Mario gets a Metal Box. Metal Mario would also have a unique voice (or at least a filter), so he'd be ahead of Doc in that regard. He'd be an extremely easy character and a cool reference to Smash 64. He also has no pupils, so he'd look soulless compared to Metal Box Mario, which has pupils.

jph139

I'd be down with Metal Mario. Oddball choice but he'd definitely be interesting to see.

And getting his stage back would be the bee's knees.

Not that there's any particular reason to believe a highly detailed text leak (those so rarely end up real)

But it makes some sense

- The missing song on Peach's Castle might have been Vs Metal Mario, and was cut when they decided to add his stage.
- It follows the same pattern of two characters based on another character and one unique fighter we had last time. In this case, Wolf and Metal Mario are based on other characters, while Squirtle is unique.
- Metal Mario is a cheap and easy new comer that's been in the series since the beginning. With all the 64 Nostaglia being used to sell DLC, it doesn't sound out of the question to package up the original mid-boss and finally make him playable.
- Gold Metal Mario and Metal Mario being slightly larger than Mario solves the readability issues that were holding the character back. Even thought there's only one incredibly minor difference between Metal Pit and Metal Dark Pit (the wrist halos), so I'm not really sure this was ever a proper issue.
- Metal Mario has been his own character since before Smash 64 came out, and continued to be considered a unique character. Almost always portrayed as a villain or an arrogant, somewhat "opposite" Mario. As of Mario Kart 7, he even has a unique voice, which puts him a step ahead of Doc. He was a villain of Doctor Mario 64, for Wario, so it's interesting in that regard. He'd be another villain, technically.
- A heavy character with a small/medium frame is unique. Snake used to be like this, but Smash 4 lacks a smaller heavy character.
- He'd probably even have a unique icon, as he did in Smash 64.

Reasons this is likely fake
- That's a lot of stages
- Yoshi's Story 64's music is already used.
- The Squirtle Final Smash and Down Special come from this thread. Rain Dance is a little different (it powered Squirtle's specials up), but Rapid Spin was posted (by me) as pretty much exactly as described.

PS: Mirror Mode not working on DLC stages makes this more believable to me haha. It's just the sort of thing they'd do.

I also bought a Silver Mario Amiibo to consider it as a Metal Mario Amiibo. Him getting a Smash Amiibo though, I'd probably get that one as well.

(Super) Metal Mario is Super dead

Remember when Nintendo seriously tried to push him way back in the day? Hah. The last 2 smash games didn't even carry on the tradition of having a designated Metal Mario fight. Now it's Metal Anyone.

Back in the day being a couple years ago when he was in Mario Kart 8 after being in Mario Kart 7? And will probably appear in the new Mario Tennis, along with Mario Kart 9 whenever that happens...

Neoxon

I'm fine with all of that sans Metal Mario. What a totally pointless addition if true (and truly is just a Dr. Mario variation with Luigi's Side B), and somewhat tone-death after what happened with Dark Pit's reception in vanilla Smash 4.

I remember thinking they'd try and resurrect Squirtle's moveset in Smash 4 after the Charizard?Greninja reveal by giving it to Bowser Jr. and making the water effects paint instead. Sorta funny if they both wind up in the game at this point.

I don't think anyone would care if Metal Mario was free.

I do love how Metal Mario is presented in Smash 64. I'm looking at a vid of the Metal Mario fight from Smash 64, and I really miss those loud clanking sound effects when he walks around. Combined with his overall slow movement and it really gives you the feeling you're fighting a robotic Terminator of sorts. It's cool as hell.

kirby_fox

Banned
Mirror mode is where it gets dumb. Why would you need to mirror a stage? A lot of them wouldn't be noticeable.

And c'mon...metal Mario in paid DLC? Main game sure, that'd be a decent wtf character. But it's really weak for something they're trying to sell.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would rather they finished making Alph his own character than Metal Mario.

I second this. That's why I hope that Alph would become his own character in next Smash Bros.

Is everybody going to suddenly bandwagon to Metal Mario now that he's been included in a fake lea...

Spoke too soon.

Indeed, you spoke too soon.

Wow, we are reaching that point huh?

I for one will welcome Wolf and another newcomer with open arms come next DLC release :D

Some people already reached at that point for awhile. I don't understand why people would want Metal Mario since we already have one. :V

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alph can never be made into a unique character now. Like Ganondorf, it'd disappoint fans of his current portrayal. I wouldn't even expect him to be promoted from alt status...

That's a weird case to argue about. Sakurai have no problem to upgrade some characters' moves, example: Bowser and Roy. After all, Alph is just alternative costume for Olimar & Pikmin, so it could meant he might not be subject to the situation that happened to Ganondorf. Again, we don't really know what Sakurai is thinking since he could surprise us somehow.

Golnei

That's a weird case to argue about. Sakurai have no problem to upgrade some characters' moves, example: Bowser and Roy. After all, Alph is just alternative costume for Olimar & Pikmin, so it could meant he might not be subject to the situation that happened to Ganondorf. Again, we don't really know what Sakurai is thinking since he could surprise us somehow.

If Alph were treated as a separate character like Dark Pit and Lucina, I'd expect him to go through similar changes to the ones Melee clones (minus Pichu) have if he showed up in the next game, but his position as an alt complicates things - the only precedent we have is Dark Pit, and that's a borderline case due to the specific character not existing during the time of Brawl (and him being planned as an alt in 4 anyway). Hopefully Sakurai is more favourably inclined towards making veteran alts separate characters than he is making veteran characters into alts.

Dr. Buni

Metal Mario would be weak for the main game, let alone for DLC.
Wow, we are reaching that point huh?

I for one will welcome Wolf and another newcomer with open arms come next DLC release :D
Yeah, I am ready for
Pichu
Wolf and a newcomer as well.
This thing?

ZChj4.png

"Brand new DLC character" lmao

Pichu ain't happening lol

People only say him because "needs moar vets" and "hahaha Roy got fixed" but Roy was actually beloved in Melee while Pichu was the only char not even considered in the forbidden 7 for brawl. Does that sound even a little bit like fanservice from here on out? No.

If you like him then great but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's a good bet just because of a "vet quota" or something ridic

So Metal Mario

Specials
- Metal Jump Punch: Goes higher than Mario's, but only does damage if the end of the punch hits. In Smash 64, Metal Mario's Jump Punch was the same as Mario's except it went higher, so I made some adjustments to that concept. No coin jump sound, rather makes the same sound as hitting a metal box.
- Gold Fire Ball: Lobs a large, slow moving yellow projectile that falls very fast. When it hits the ground, it does a short bounce and then explodes. If it hits an enemy it also explodes, but there's a coin particle to the explosion as well. As a nod to 64, AI Metal Mario rarely, if ever, use this move.
- Titanium Tornado: Cloned from Doc, except Metal Mario spins much slower, gains absolutely no height at all, and does more damage.
- Platinum Missile: Cloned from Luigi. Can never misfire, a lot shorter distance. More similar to Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash.

Properties
- Metal Mario is the second heaviest fighter in the game, right before Bowser. but heavier than DK.
- Metal Mario has the fastest fall speed in the game. Not as fast as 64, obviously, but pretty substantial. Slightly more than Fox.
- Metal Mario runs pretty slowly and doesn't jump high. Around Ganondorf as far as agility goes.
- He has flinch resistance before 50%. Like Bowser, except Metal Mario's is more extreme, he doesn't flinch at all, while Bowser only takes reducing flinching.

Other changes from Mario
- His Forward Smash is from Smash 64. Mario's old forward punch motion, rather than the fire ball/electric explosion thing Mario/Doc have.
- His walk and run animations are from 64, rather than Mario's Brawl style run/walk animations.
- Footsteps and jump are from Smash 64, and not Mario's SMB jump sound.
- Has Mario's old forward and back airs, rather than the ones Mario got changed in Melee.
- Neutral animation has him making robot poses, like Mario Kart 8.
- Voice is Mario's but with the reverb filter from Mario Kart 8.
- Metal Mario is slightly larger than Mario.
- Metal Mario cannot wall jump.
- Entrance animation is Mario falling from the sky on his head and then getting up. Taken directly from Melee's Metal Mario.
- As a small touch, Metal Mario cannot swim at all. The game treats Metal Mario hitting water as if there was nothing there, and he can jump and recover as normal in water.
- His Mushroom emblem has a metallic appearance to him. His victory song is a remix of the Classic Stage clear theme from Smash 64.

Alph can never be made into a unique character now. Like Ganondorf, it'd disappoint fans of his current portrayal. I wouldn't even expect him to be promoted from alt status...

Sakurai is fine upgrading characters, he just doesn't want to drastically change anyone or downgrade a clone to an alt.

Making Alph a semi-clone wouldn't really be all that different from Olimar getting some changes between games. Certainly not like Falco was between Melee and Brawl, which basically makes him a new character.

RomanceDawn

Every time Metal Mario showed up playable(Toadstool Tour, Mario Kart 7,8 and somewhere else I'm sure) I've always just been so disappointed. Like how lame could that be? Just slap a silver coat over Mario, make him heavy and give him that voice filter and done. Pink Gold Peach was the only thing more diabolical.

I hate telling people don't waste their vote but for this I make an exception.

Every time Metal Mario has showed up, he became my main in that game (Tennis, MK7, MK8)

I like his gimmick of being a heavy character but having a medium character's build. It actually makes him more unique than people give him credit for.

Calling fake myself, I really doubt they would make a third clone of Mario and sell it.

EDIT: I would rage if Pink Gold Peach was a thing though.....

I would rather see metal mario's smash 64 music and an upgraded meta crystal stage back than the actual character.
Can't deny that I liked fighting him in Smash 64 though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom