• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm mostly remembering from my early Internet days. Like pre-Brawl hype and stuff. Don't remember much Roy requests at all and most people considered him basically guaranteed to be cut.

I know you probably ignored my message about Roy, but some people request Roy and Mewtwo to be DLC characters after they found out that they got cut. I still remember some people really want to see them in the game before Brawl came out.

I know you probably ignored my message about Roy, but some people request Roy and Mewtwo to be DLC characters after they found out that they got cut. I still remember some people really want to see them in the game before Brawl came out.

I remember people being completely blind sided by Mewtwo being cut. He's always been popular, I think Sakurai misread people thinking he was weak in Melee as people not liking Mewtwo.

I actually wasn't much into the Smash online community through most of Brawl's life until the Smash 4 engine started rolling. Pre-Brawl NSider was still around and so I got most of my stuff from there. I don't remember Roy at all on NSider, which used to be my go-to for Smash information and discussion.

Actually, speaking of Brawl DLC, I remember one of the first leaks I had heard of about Brawl was that Brawl would be the first Wii game with DLC and the DLC would be Mewtwo, Ridley and two others I'm forgetting. The other leaks for Brawl I actually only heard about long after Brawl was out, which is a shame. I would have loved to be around for when the real roster was leaked and apparently people freaked out and cried fake because ROB and Toon Link were apparently ridiculous.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I actually wasn't much into the Smash online community through most of Brawl's life until the Smash 4 engine started rolling. Pre-Brawl NSider was still around and so I got most of my stuff from there. I don't remember Roy at all on NSider, which used to be my go-to for Smash information and discussion.

Actually, speaking of Brawl DLC, I remember one of the first leaks I had heard of about Brawl was that Brawl would be the first Wii game with DLC and the DLC would be Mewtwo, Ridley and two others I'm forgetting. The other leaks for Brawl I actually only heard about long after Brawl was out, which is a shame. I would have loved to be around for when the real roster was leaked and apparently people freaked out and cried fake because ROB and Toon Link were apparently ridiculous.

<3 Nsider <3 (I'm talking about original one. They had to shut it down during Brawl. :( ) Thank to Nsider, that's how I found out about NeoGAF.

I remember those DLC leaks and final roster freak out. At first, I thought it was ROB64 because of people kept saying that we have three star fox representatives before they found out that Wolf is in the game but I realized that it was R.O.B like few minutes afterward.

Well really, the name "Toon Link" is pretty weird. It sounds super fake out of context and not knowing if the character was real or not. I don't blame people for calling fake on that.

Should have just stuck with Young Link. Not like there's much of a difference.

Lucario was the first unlock I knew about because of the sticker leak. Then someone at school showed me Wolf. After that I slowly had the roster spoiled to me by searching around Smash Boards.

Zubz

Banned
Emphasis on very small. Like, Ant-Man in the Microverse small.

I mean, Scott came back...

I'd take Squirtle over Pichu any day of the week.

I'd also take Ivysaur over either of them :p

Agreed 100%. Ivysaur's the best Pokémon fighter in the game, in my opinion. The only other one I use even close to regularly is Charizard. And that's only in 8-Player skirmishes.

As for this rumor, I'm not really feeling it. I definitely think Wolf's coming back, and I can see Nintendo doing a lot of the weird things listed, including the entirety of Metal Mario (I mean, he was popular enough in MK7 to warrant a second Metal Clone in MK8, but...). However, Squirtle's FS doesn't sit with me; we have some pretty useless Final Smashes, but one that's barely effective outside of team matches doesn't sit with me. Plus, all 3 Mii Packs have only had 8 so far, but this has 10.

I've had bad luck with rumors here, though. I was #TeamReal for the Palutena hoax but #TeamFake for the ESRB leak. Still, I think we're just seeing Wolf in the near future, with maybe K. Rool/Shovel Knight/Layton to follow soon after.

kirby_fox

Banned
If they wanted to do the same thing again, we'd wind up getting Squirtle. Then Wolf would be announced. Then we'd get a surprise release for Pichu and (third party newcomer).

Maybe we'll get another random fighting character. I'd be ok with Scorpion or Subzero showing up, despite it not making any sense for them.

If there was ever a character that doesn't fit in Smash, it's someone from Mortal Kombat.

Neoxon

Nope. If they add in Wolf, it will take away spotlight from the new Star Fox game. Wolf can't be added or else Star Fox Zero will bomb.

Fox was cut from Skylanders for this reason. I'm ready for the meltdowns at no Wolf now mwahaha.
I highly doubt that would be a viable reason. How would adding Wolf to Smash 4 take away from Star Fox Zero sales? Might as well remove Fox & Falco while they're at it.

Wolf not being DLC would take away from Star Fox Zero more if it came out it was partially the reason why he didn't get in more than the opposite, IMO. I'm looking forward to SF0 but it doesn't seem like the overall mood on the game at the moment is particularly positive already and it fucking over content in a far bigger game would just give people another reason to attack it.

Bluth54

Metal Mario ?

"leaks" gets less creative each day =/

Yeah I would be pretty disappointed if Metal Mario was real. The Mario franchise has more then enough characters in Smash and I don't want to see another Mario, even if he wasn't a clone. The only other Mario character I'm kinda interested in seeing would be a sports themed Daisy.

That's Mario using a metal box. Metal Mario has been an entirely separate character since Mario Golf, and continued to be one for the rest of Mario history. He's even a villain of Doctor Mario's.
Metal Mario is always Mario using a metal box. Get serious here; he's in Mario Golf and other spin-off titles now and then because he's an insanely easy extra character to work in, much like how for awhile Shadow Mario was used in a few things despite Bowser Jr. already being playable because he similarly just required a texture swap and Mario's voice clips ran through a distortion filter.

If he's really a separate thing in Smash than whatever, but he's the epitome of a 'clone'. If he's free like others suggested than obviously it'd be silly to complain about a 'freebie', but if he's not than that's absolutely resources that could've gone to an actual character, even if just another clone without that much demand like Pichu or Young Link.

The only circumstance I'd have found Metal Mario even remotely appealing is if nobody had been cut in the jump from Brawl to Smash 4, a few newcomers like a RH rep and a third DK rep got in. As is it'd be a pointless and confusing gesture.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
COGbExxWoAI3gy2.jpg

I think I found the way to put Ice Climbers into the game.

NeonZ

for use in a third party game that's geared towards a more younger audience than Star Fox generally is with gameplay that doesn't work well with Fox.

Yep, RIP Wolf.

The new Skylanders is apparently vehicle focused. In fact, I guess the reason they didn't want Fox there is that it could bee seen as too close to a Star Fox game, since you'd get both ground combat with Fox himself and flying around or racing with his vehicle in a 3d action game. Obviously an actual StarFox game is a pretty different experience, but they could be seen as overlapping each other due to those elements. Smash Bros obviously doesn't suffer from those issues though.

Wolf will return. There's no reason he wouldn't and he's easily one of the most popular DLC character of them all.

Him being cut turned a character that was sort of liked in Brawl and made him into the new Mewtwo.

Also Wolf with Fox/Falco's new side special mechanics seems like he'd be really good.

Frofro

Banned
If Squirtle returns, Id be willing to bet Ivysaur isnt far behind. Still doubt the leak, but would like to see the two of them back.

Has this been posted yet? Similar to what I said the other day that the Mii costume would be what K.Rool would look like in-game, this dude has taken the effort to mock one up. I saw this on my tumblr dash and my eyes widened and my heart stopped. Source

tumblr_nsfofxW3UD1rud3xqo1_540.jpg

NeonZ

Has this been posted yet? Similar to what I said the other day that the Mii costume would be what K.Rool would look like in-game, this dude has taken the effort to mock one up. I saw this on my tumblr dash and my eyes widened and my heart stopped. Source

I'd have bought the K.Rool skin if the mask actually covered the Mii's face...

Drago

Man this looks fantastic.

Zubz

Banned
Neither does Roy or Ryu. Not all of the later DLC characters are guaranteed to show up - I wouldn't rule them out to be added in later patches, though.

Same with Shovel Knight, though. Smash guest or not, he's the only character who currently has an Amiibo (Or at least a prototype) without a costume. I mean, it makes sense that the Indie 3rd Party who's not tied to Smash wouldn't get in, but unlike Wolf, we've seen SK's Amiibo.

NeonZ

Roy and Ryu aren't in it either, are they? Not all of the later DLC characters seem guaranteed to show up - I wouldn't rule them out to be added in later patches, though.

I don't think the Roy and Ryu Amiibos even have any announced support at this point. It's obvious they'll at least work with Smash Bros, but they still seem to be pretty distant as far actual support goes.

Golnei

I don't think the Roy and Ryu Amiibos even have any announced support at this point. It's obvious they'll at least work with Smash Bros obviously, but they still seem to be pretty distant as far actual support goes.

Lucas having a costume despite being released at the same time does make it slightly more conspicuous, though.

As for future support, while nothing's announced at the moment (and they probably won't even have the chance to be incorporated into many Wii U / 3DS games, considering how close both are to being replaced), they might be included in games with similar widespread functionality to Yoshi and Mario Maker's costumes and the Chibi Robo poses. Roy will probably work with future Fire Emblem / IS games if their consistent support for the current FE amiibo are any indication; but Ryu is more questionable - unlocking cosmetic items in first-party Nintendo games is plausible, as with Megaman and Pac-Man, but anything more involved is less certain.

Drago

Lucas having a costume despite being released at the same time does make it slightly more conspicuous, though.
Lucas was announced two months earlier though. I'm guessing they were just able to squeeze him in, and by the time Roy and Ryu were revealed it was too late to add more costumes. Assuming the dev team wasn't in the know about future Smash DLC and I don't really see why they would be. They probably only knew what the amiibo release schedule for the year would be like.

It's not lame lol it's just strange, like why does he have no tail

Also it seemed like lots of Rool fans expected the new model from Paon which is why they were so surprised when the Rare one became the costume, since like why not reuse the nice looking one from his trophy

Neoxon

So it's safe to assume that all DLC characters after Lucas aren't in Super Mario Maker. Makes sense, mainly to prevent leaks. Though it does kinda limit the use of characters like Roy & Ryu, more so if support for the former isn't added to Fire Emblem Fates later as a software update for the game.

NeonZ

So it's safe to assume that all DLC characters after Lucas aren't in Super Mario Maker. Makes sense, mainly to prevent leaks. Though it does kinda limit the use of characters like Roy & Ryu, more so if support for the former isn't added to Fire Emblem Fates later as a software update for the game.

I think Roy might get an update because otherwise the international release of Fates could be rather odd, since his Amiibo presumably will be already out by then.

Regarding Mario Maker itself, I guess we need to see if there'll be post-release support or DLC or if the initial set is really everything that we'll get. If there's support, I guess patching in compatibility with future Amiibos might be thrown in too.

I wouldn't be surprised if later amiibos were patched into Mario Maker at a later date. And I don't think it's specifically to avoid leaks/spoilers, but rather because the development finished before the announcement of those amiibo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom