• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pink Gold Peach is entirely made up. There isn't even a Pink Gold Flower or anything. She also doesn't have any of the unique personality traits Metal Mario has.

Metal Mario over time has been developed into sort of a bizarro world Mario. He says phrases backwards or changes them slightly ("Mia Mama" for example. Also where Mario says "mama" in places, Metal says "papa" which is god awful cheesy, but whatever). He also seems more arrogant than Mario, at least his lines in Mario Kart 8 seem so.

For whatever reason he's Wario's Rival in Doctor Mario 64. Don't really know what that comes from or why he exists in the Doctor Mario universe, but there he is.

Pink Gold Peach has none of this. I don't even think she has unique lines in Mario Kart 8, unlike Metal Mario.

I'm not saying Metal Mario is some unique bastion of good character design. But he does have a subtle personality and a bit of backstory. PGP doesn't.

J@hranimo

Banned
Sakurai and Co. should bring back and reimagine Metal Mario's stage from 64. The look and music is too cool to let it stay in the first game.

I wonder if it would be used in competitive. It's obviously a neutral looking stage, but it's also fairly small.

8 Player Smash would be hilarious on it. Like, so silly I want it to exist almost just to try 8 Bowsers on it to see if they can even all remain standing without pushing someone off the edge.

J@hranimo

Banned
I wonder if it would be used in competitive. It's obviously a neutral looking stage, but it's also fairly small.

8 Player Smash would be hilarious on it. Like, so silly I want it to exist almost just to try 8 Bowsers on it to see if they can even all remain standing without pushing someone off the edge.

If it's just like 64 probably won't be legal at all. Small stage, eventual slope johns and a rather large blast zone will turn people off from it. Even the PM crowd doesn't play on it!

Still, it's a cool ass stage :p

Golnei

I just want Paper Mario.

Along with Captain Toad, they'd be a relatively realistic choice for the next game's Mario newcomers. His own unique abilities combined with cameos from various Pixls and partners would give them a lot to work with; and in terms of relevance the Paper Mario series doesn't seem to be going away soon. Even the much-maligned Sticker Star and SPM hovered around the series' average sales, with the former even showing some improvement.

If it's just like 64 probably won't be legal at all. Small stage, eventual slope johns and a rather large blast zone will turn people off from it. Even the PM crowd doesn't play on it!

Still, it's a cool ass stage :p

Yea, but RIP 1994-1998 All Star. All three of these characters would be in that particular time frame (along with Mewtwo).

Star Fox 64, Mario 64 and Pokemon Red/Blue.

Also this tiny little stage would be in that era as well, I assume.

This would have to be Metal Mario's official pose as well
MetalMario.png

Also, Final Smash: Hazy Maze
Engulfs the entire stage in yellow-green gas for awhile. Enemies take damage over time, has no effect on Metal Mario or his allies.

Javier

I'l say this again: I hope they bring back the Trophy Tussle stages from Melee. It was pretty criminal they couldn't be played outside of their respective events back then.

NeonZ

For whatever reason he's Wario's Rival in Doctor Mario 64. Don't really know what that comes from or why he exists in the Doctor Mario universe, but there he is.

Huh, but we know. It's just a transformation of Dr.Mario. He accidentally eats all mega vitamins right before the final battle against Wario and then becomes Metal Mario (in Wario's story).

I have a huge soft spot for Metal Mario due to my SM64 love (so much that I even came up with some "bizarro world" theories of my own), but as a potential Smash character? Naaaaaaaah.

He was a super cool boss character, though. I want that original theme back!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Woah! Apparently we're getting a third party Mii costume from MICROSOFT of all people! Probably the nearest thing to Banjo we're gonna get.

The off TV photo proves it's 100% true.

Dr. Buni

Pichu ain't happening lol

People only say him because "needs moar vets" and "hahaha Roy got fixed" but Roy was actually beloved in Melee while Pichu was the only char not even considered in the forbidden 7 for brawl. Does that sound even a little bit like fanservice from here on out? No.

If you like him then great but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's a good bet just because of a "vet quota" or something ridic
You must be delusional if you think Nintendo isn't releasing pretty much every cut veteran other than Ice Climbers and Snake. Pichu is definitely coming back. Also, Pichu isn't a he.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You must be delusional if you think Nintendo isn't releasing pretty much every cut veteran other than Ice Climbers and Snake. Pichu is definitely coming back. Also, Pichu isn't a he.
How can you tell? Only Pikachu and Raichu have gender differences in that evolutionary line.

Golnei

How can you tell? Only Pikachu and Raichu have gender differences in that evolutionary line.

And if the goggles given to Pikachu after Melee are intended to indicate that it's an evolved version of Melee's Pichu; wouldn't those same dimorphic traits indicate Melee's Pichu was male by extension?

Bookmarked.

Also remember when Sakurai said "we hope you enjoy these veterans who were especially popular?" Implying there are ones who aren't or who are even despised like Pichu. Honestly it seems like no one even wants him they just twist it so the expect him and justify him post fact.

Also also what part of "fan service from here on out" does Pichu qualify with exactly? Other than curing ocd for people who want all Melee vets in the game

This thing?

ZCPzhj4.png

It sounds lame enough it could be real. What would happen if Gold Metal Mario got a hundred coins in the NSMB2 stage, though?
Pretty sure only 8 Mii Costumes in each set, so I'm calling fake.

I would be fine with it tho. And it would mirror 3 vet/clones and a newcomer, just missing a newcomer. Never really played Squartle since he wasn't a real character due to transformations so I'd be hyped to have him as a "newcomer".

Really tho. Please sometime within the next week or two just give me a character, any character. I will buy anything so please I needs a character.

Pichu ain't happening lol

People only say him because "needs moar vets" and "hahaha Roy got fixed" but Roy was actually beloved in Melee while Pichu was the only char not even considered in the forbidden 7 for brawl. Does that sound even a little bit like fanservice from here on out? No.

If you like him then great but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's a good bet just because of a "vet quota" or something ridic

The majority of DLC has been vets. Once Wolf is added, that leaves... no other vets except Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Pichu is consistently the most popular of those three. Snake and Ice Climbers don't count, as odds are they don't come back.

And Roy wasn't beloved in Melee until he wasn't in Brawl. I don't remember his popularity at all in Melee, his popularity got a new life once Project M added him. From there people began liking him more and wanting him back.

He is a good bet. If DLC is mostly going to be vets, Pichu is next in line behind Wolf.

Pretty sure only 8 Mii Costumes in each set, so I'm calling fake.

eh... sort of I guess. Pack 3 has 6 outfits, plus the Samus hat, plus the hoodie for all three. Pack 2 has 7 outfits, but just a hat, no costumes for all. Pack 1 has 6 outfits, one hat and the shirt for all three.

Can't really use past packs as anything, as they're fairly inconsistent.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The majority of DLC has been vets. Once Wolf is added, that leaves... no other vets except Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Pichu is consistently the most popular of those three. Snake and Ice Climbers don't count, as odds are they don't come back.

And Roy wasn't beloved in Melee until he wasn't in Brawl. I don't remember his popularity at all in Melee, his popularity got a new life once Project M added him. From there people began liking him more and wanting him back.

He is a good bet. If DLC is mostly going to be vets, Pichu is next in line behind Wolf.

Snake isn't completely gone yet. There is very small chance that they could come back.

I can't see them bringing Pichu back and charging $3.99 for what was originally a joke character. Nintendo doesn't want to "devalue" the other characters. That's why they bundled a stage with Ryu so they could get away with charging more.

If they Luigify Pichu and remove the dumb self-damage mechanic I imagine most people wouldn't mind its inclusion.

That would defeat the purpose; based on the source material, Pichu is supposed to be an inferior version of Pikachu. I'd rather see Squirtle, to be honest.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Actually that's wrong. I'm pretty sure that some people were hoping that Sakurai would support DLC for Super Smash Bros Brawl so they could have a chance to get Roy, Mewtwo and other few characters.

People kept clamoring for Roy and Mewtwo is the reason why Project M team decided to add them in the roster.

I can't see them bringing Pichu back and charging $3.99 for what was originally a joke character. Nintendo doesn't want to "devalue" the other characters. That's why they bundled a stage with Ryu so they could away with charging more.

Would you be saying this if Jigglypuff was cut from Brawl and people wanted her back as DLC? She started her life as a joke character in 64.

Nobody is saying Pichu would come back as a joke character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd take Squirtle over Pichu any day of the week.

I'd also take Ivysaur over either of them :p

I take Ivysaur over both of them for a dumb reason. The dumb reason is we don't have any grass type pokemon as playable character yet.

I don't think anybody thought that rumour was legit

It's hard to tell with Balladofwindfishes since he seem very excited about the idea behind Metal Mario. >.>

It's hard to tell with Balladofwindfishes since he seem very excited about the idea behind Metal Mario. >.>

I like fake leaks and sort of coming up with ideas on how they could be real and if they are real, what parts of them would be cool.

Well then it's obvious that "leak" is fake, since wigs and hats there are assigned to specific classes.

Actually, Nintendo lists them like that as well. They say "K Rool Hat and K Rool Outfit for Mii Brawler" even if the hat can be worn by whoever.

If they Luigify Pichu and remove the dumb self-damage mechanic I imagine most people wouldn't mind its inclusion.
If they made him faster and more powerful I wouldn't mind. Since he's a baby Pokémon it makes sense like he hasn't regulated his power yet or filtered it to a point where he doesn't hurt himself, like Pikachu. It'd be fun if there was that payoff for the damage dealt to himself.

This is coming from a Tira main in Soulcalibur so I guess I'm used to it...and confident I can beat people even with that extra crutch ;) (jk, I'm pretty casual by most's standards).

Russ T

Banned
If they made him faster and more powerful I wouldn't mind. Since he's a baby Pokémon it makes sense like he hasn't regulated his power yet or filtered it to a point where he doesn't hurt himself, like Pikachu. It'd be fun if there was that payoff for the damage dealt to himself.

This is coming from a Tira main in Soulcalibur so I guess I'm used to it...and confident I can beat people even with that extra crutch ;) (jk, I'm pretty casual by most's standards).

It's been a while since I've played Melee, but wasn't he already faster and more powerful as a tradeoff for hurting himself? I thought that was the whole point. I remember that being why I liked him.

eh... sort of I guess. Pack 3 has 6 outfits, plus the Samus hat, plus the hoodie for all three. Pack 2 has 7 outfits, but just a hat, no costumes for all. Pack 1 has 6 outfits, one hat and the shirt for all three.

Can't really use past packs as anything, as they're fairly inconsistent.

Roy was absolutely popular. Maybe not in the competitive scene, but among casual players he was extremely popular. Hell, I remember when that Crono person from Smashboards used to translate stuff that Sakurai said and Sakurai said that a "black man" thanked him for putting Roy in Melee.

Saying Roy wasn't popular...that's just crazy talk.

Roy was absolutely popular. Maybe not in the competitive scene, but among casual players he was extremely popular. Hell, I remember when that Crono person from Smashboards used to translate stuff that Sakurai said and Sakurai said that a "black man" thanked him for putting Roy in Melee.

Saying Roy wasn't popular...that's just crazy talk.

I'm mostly remembering from my early Internet days. Like pre-Brawl hype and stuff. Don't remember much Roy requests at all and most people considered him basically guaranteed to be cut.

It's been a while since I've played Melee, but wasn't he already faster and more powerful as a tradeoff for hurting himself? I thought that was the whole point. I remember that being why I liked him.

Pichu trades range, weight and power for speed, a small hurtbox and general agility.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pichu's speed taken a bit more extremely, and maybe adjust his power to be the same or slightly better than Pikachu, while still making him be extremely light and have smaller range. Also scale his self damage way back, so maybe only his specials hurt him and only for 1 percent or something. So the gimmick is still there, but it's basically pointless.

"Next in line" is a bad reason for Pichu cuz they're not just gonna say LOL MUST ADD TWO VET REPS, NOW WHO IS TOP TWO IN LINE. I bet they would have a new clone before they would have Pichu. Or wrap up DLC because how demoralizing to pour effort into a character thousands would hate on principle

Also Roy was beloved by casuals in Melee because of the fire. Like all my friends would pick him and just spam B all day. Hardcores didn't like him as much but he was never HATED like Pichu near universally is outside of speculation hipsters.

Really the only lock for DLC is Wolf I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom