• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I think Roy might get an update because otherwise the international release of Fates could be rather odd, since his Amiibo presumably will be already out by then.

Regarding Mario Maker itself, I guess we need to see if there'll be post-release support or DLC or if the initial set is really everything that we'll get. If there's support, I guess patching in compatibility with future Amiibos might be thrown in too.
I sincerely hope so.

I wouldn't be surprised if later amiibos were patched into Mario Maker at a later date. And I don't think it's specifically to avoid leaks/spoilers, but rather because the development finished before the announcement of those amiibo.
On top of me agreeing with you on the hope that Super Mario Maker gets support for future Smash 4 DLC characters, your theory as to why the post-Lucas DLC characters aren't supported probably makes more sense than my theory. More so when you consider that Lucas' Amiibo was announced at the same time as Mewtwo's.

This makes me miss Wolf even more :(

Wolf was my first main in Brawl (I eventually gravitated towards Samus and Falcon, like I've done since smash 64, although I would come back to Wolf now and then). And he's still the one who's in the air. And until he's announced/released, I'm gonna be worried about his inclusion or lack thereof.

I honestly wouldn't mind another Sonic character at all, but I'd rather have Knuckles or Eggman.

Knuckles wouldn't be much more work than Shadow. Really, about the same changes needed for both. Other than I guess Knuckles would need a new side and neutral special. Side is easy though, just a glide, maybe works similar to Ike's side special or something so it's not full gliding.

Ryce

In the unlikely event that Sonic gets a second character, it'll probably be Tails. He's the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.

It looks great, but the face is a bit off. It should be facing more towards the screen and the snout should be longer.
Eh, compared to the mockup Rare-era K. Rool looks a bit hunched over when his head is that stretched out. I'd say K. Rool looks a bit too short in that fan art though, maybe make him closer to Bowser's height? Unless he already is.

In the unlikely event that Sonic gets a second character, it'll probably be Tails. He's the Luigi to Sonic's Mario.
Or Dr. Eggman, since he's Dr. Eggman.

Dr. Buni

Dr. Eggman would be the ideal second Sonic rep. He is iconic, have potential for a fun moveset, he has a nice and unique design and lastly, we would have an extra villain in the roster.

I love Eggman. I watch Sonic Boom mostly for his character (and Knuckles because he is SO dumb its funny).

Did he pass away recently, or am I misrememberng? Or maybe it was a hoax.

Not at all. Eggman's old actor died, Pollock replaced him and has done the voice since and absolutely rocks at the roll. He even voices Eggman in the new cartoon.

I believe he's the most consistent voice actor the series has had for any character. I hope they keep him around for as long as he can, as far as I'm concerned, he IS Eggman.

Not at all. Eggman's old actor died, Pollock replaced him and has done the voice since and absolutely rocks at the roll. He even voices Eggman in the new cartoon.

I believe he's the most consistent voice actor the series has had for any character. I hope they keep him around for as long as he can, as far as I'm concerned, he IS Eggman.

Ooooh okay it was his old voice actor that passed.

Eggman in a machine a la Bowser Jr. would be cool. Would have been even more novel and fitting had he made his appearance first, but I feel like it could be done without the character feeling like a Junior ripoff.

Eggman or Tails would be my pick for a second Sonic rep.

Tails could easily go the semiclone route if one were concerned about ease. Spindashes are something Sonic and Tails have in common. But I would hope they would still make him mostly unique.

Zubz

Banned
You know, for being the "Pro-Wonder Red" site, we tend to talk about Eggman/Robotnik a lot more than anyone else (Barring K. Rool). If we got a second Sonic character, I'd rather it be Knux, but the good doctor would be a great character, both in terms of gameplay and likability! I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

And for the record, the best Robotnik/Eggman VA was Long John Baldry. No question.

So I stumbled upon this gem. What in the world.

Considering this references Smash almost directly (which is weird in itself), how did this ridiculous song of Falcon's Mighty Glory not get into Smash? It's even only 3 minutes long, so it wouldn't need to be cut.

Uhh... ok. When confusion threatens my lunch, I want Falcon to unleash his Falcon Punch.

I kind of wonder if Nintendo would continue to embrace the cheese of the F-Zero series if they ever decide to continue it. It's not really a series that takes itself all that seriously... even if it sort of tries to pretend to. Then it pulls out a ridiculous anthem to "Our Hero El Capitan Falcon"

yeah falcon punch was integrated into the f-zero universe in gx

and yes, f-zero gx has lots of awesome vocal songs, including many of the racer themes (which actually barely appear in the game at all, they're only in the racer profiles, special movies, and AX trophy ceremony iirc). falcon's is good.

imo Tails is so boring. His up special is super obvious, and the rest is just semi-cloned from Sonic.

He seems like he'd be kind of boring.

Edit: lol one of these commentators on Paragon said he was bugging Trinen and JC about adding Snake at PAX. That must have been an awkward conversation.

I prefer the music from F Zero X than GX, myself.

GX has a really awesome sort of club mix of Big Blue I always really liked. Too bad it's only used in a story mode mission.

Actually, all of GX's remixes are really good.

I kind of prefer the more "dancey" songs of GX compared to the more traditional 80s metal stuff from X. Although the latter fits the theme of the game a lot better, basically being a textbook 80s scifi movie game.

Mute City for example only has a little bit of Mute City in it, and the rest is a fast paced techno beat. An interesting interpretation of the song, versus the 15 million remixes of it that sound like updated versions of the SNES original.

Ok, I just really like GX. My favorite F-Zero game and one of my favorite Gamecube games lol. Fourth behind Melee, Prime and Wind Waker.

Kind of surprised Lightning never made it into Smash, considering it's one of the most iconic stages of GX. It's the stage when you realize this game has seriously good graphics for a Gamecube title.

But X has Dream Chaser... One of the best songs in the series.

imo Tails is so boring. His up special is super obvious, and the rest is just semi-cloned from Sonic.

He seems like he'd be kind of boring.

Edit: lol one of these commentators on Paragon said he was bugging Trinen and JC about adding Snake at PAX. That must have been an awkward conversation.

Only thing I would see semi cloned maybe would be his down B which would be Spin Dash, Tails has evolved into his own character within the Sonic series and grown up in the same way Luigi has. Tails is a Genius inventor so I would imagine that would come into play like it did in his moveset in Sonic Battle on GBA with the Arm cannon,Magic glove/hand and chu chu bombs. He also has a few tornado moves (think meta knight Neutral B) he can pull off with his tails and is known to use Boxing gloves when paired with certain characters in Sonic Advance 3.

He is not a boring character or at least thats how I see it.......then again this is coming from a fan. :p

Golnei

and yes, f-zero gx has lots of awesome vocal songs, including many of the racer themes (which actually barely appear in the game at all, they're only in the racer profiles, special movies, and AX trophy ceremony iirc). falcon's is good.

While they're awkwardly cheesy (and the shaky lyrics/vocals don't help), they do work in context. Though Phoenix's was actually sort of okay - it'd probably be the only vocal GX character theme I'd want to see in Smash Bros. Dr. Stewart and Blood Falcon's wouldn't be a bad fit either...

So I stumbled upon this gem. What in the world.

Considering this references Smash almost directly (which is weird in itself), how did this ridiculous song of Falcon's Mighty Glory not get into Smash? It's even only 3 minutes long, so it wouldn't need to be cut.

Uhh... ok. When confusion threatens my lunch, I want Falcon to unleash his Falcon Punch.

I kind of wonder if Nintendo would continue to embrace the cheese of the F-Zero series if they ever decide to continue it. It's not really a series that takes itself all that seriously... even if it sort of tries to pretend to. Then it pulls out a ridiculous anthem to "Our Hero El Capitan Falcon"

It would be a natural inclusion, but its absence on the soundtrack might make it difficult to get a version in the required quality - the version in the game is embedded with the FMV's sound effects; and the original mix of the song might not be easily available, seeing as it wasn't written by an internal composer, on top of being over a decade since it was first put together. I don't expect them to reach out to the original composer or record a new vocal arrangement for the sake of an obscure F-Zero song anytime soon, especially since we only got a single remix for that series with the current game.

RomanceDawn

Its amazing how Smash eventually creeps into canon material with characters. DK never clapped or threw head butts before Smash. Jungle beat took Smash's moves and ran with them! Love me some jungle beat.

Its amazing how Smash eventually creeps into canon material with characters. DK never clapped or threw head butts before Smash. Jungle beat took Smash's moves and ran with them! Love me some jungle beat.

- Bowser retreating into his shell.
- The entire character of Mr Game and Watch
- Kirby's "Smash" copy ability which you get from Master Hand.
- Pieces of Dedede and Metaknight's movesets for Return to Dreamland
- Pretty much the entire Kid Icarus universe
- Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors
- Falcon Punch
- Fox and Falco's reflectors
- Link's Ice Climbers costume in that new game
- Lots of other stuff I'm probably forgetting

Frofro

Banned

The sonic boom cartoon is such a gem and eggman steals the show

I mean it's a double edged sword because Smash kind of defines what happens in the franchises for the next generation, so if something doesn't get in Smash it has damaged chances of happening outside of Smash, but yeah

Also DK only ever did single hand slaps before Smash, then he started doing rapid ones in Returns after Smash

Russ T

Banned

Yeah Jungle Beat is unequivocally the best Donkey Kong game. Oh man now I wanna play that game again. Oh man so gooooood.

While they're awkwardly cheesy (and the shaky lyrics/vocals don't help), they do work in context. Though Phoenix's was actually sort of okay - it'd probably be the only vocal GX character theme I'd want to see in Smash Bros. Dr. Stewart and Blood Falcon's wouldn't be a bad fit either...

I dunno, if Shantae ever made it into Smash and got a stage, we'd definitely need this one. Also this song being added to a Star Fox stage would be hilarious.

Though yeah, most of the vocal tracks are kinda odd and have super nonsensical lyrics. I like the massive cheese though. Plus I'm really partial to Digi-Boy's theme.

Yeah I'm a sucker for F-Zero GX songs, sue me.

I always forget just how cheesy the F Zero GX pilot themes get.
Obligatory reminder that Captain Falcon's theme is like a Christian Rock Ballad as someone once mentioned in an old smash thread and I've never been able to unhear it.

Yeah Jungle Beat is unequivocally the best Donkey Kong game. Oh man now I wanna play that game again. Oh man so gooooood.

I think the gameplay is solid, but I find the environment to be kind of "eh"

I get things were awkward with Rare back then, but I still find it "off" that the game seems to have off-brand animal partners, no Diddy and barely seems to be set in the same world as Donkey Kong. It doesn't really help that nobody new from that game was ever brought back into the DKC universe.

It's cool in a "what if the Mario guys made DKC" sort of way. And the level design is excellent. But it still feels "off" to me.

I only ever played the NPC version. Maybe with Bongos it's a little different.

Russ T

Banned
Bongos were fucking amazing for that game. I can't even imagine playing it without the bongos. It just feels so amazingly fun.

Also the lack of DKC characters contributes not-insignificantly to Jungle Beat being the best DK game!

Sponge

Banned
Also the lack of DKC characters contributes not-insignificantly to Jungle Beat being the best DK game!

No way. I think Tropical Freeze has the best balance of characters in a Donkey Kong game. I like Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky. It'd be like having a Mario game but Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi were written out of the series. I'd be pissed.

Russ T

Banned
No way. I think Tropical Freeze has the best balance of characters in a Donkey Kong game. I like Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky. It'd be like having a Mario game but Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi were written out of the series. I'd be pissed.
I feel I've made it pretty clear that I detest the hillbilly Kong family. The fewer of those in a DK game, the better!

So, while you'd be pissed without them, I'm actively annoyed every time they're present. They really do bring a game down for me. (Don't mind it so much in Smash, but definitely do in DK games proper.)

Sponge

Banned
I feel I've made it pretty clear that I detest the hillbilly Kong family. The fewer of those in a DK game, the better!

So, while you'd be pissed without them, I'm actively annoyed every time they're present. They really do bring a game down for me. (Don't mind it so much in Smash, but definitely do in DK games proper.)

What's hilarious is there almost was a hillbilly kong. I would have hated this guy.

hqdefault.jpg

And that's fair to me. I can see why people wouldn't like the secondary characters. Also, Jungle Beat does have some damn good gameplay. I'd love another game that played like that.

Retro has trimmed out the majority of the Rare garbage extended Kong family. The Kongs in Tropical Freeze are probably the only Kongs that will continue. They might bring Candy or Lanky in, but other than that, the rest of the extended Kongs are just poorly designed and not interesting at all. Rare seemed to like inventing new characters for the sake of inventing new characters.

They really should bring back some iconic DKC enemies though. Not the entire bunch of janky looking crocodiles, but Kritter, Gnawty and Zinger would be who I would bring back. The rest are kind of lame looking and still rooted firmly in the 90s.

Sponge

Banned
Retro has trimmed out the majority of the Rare garbage extended Kong family. The Kongs in Tropical Freeze are probably the only Kongs that will continue. They might bring Candy or Lanky in, but other than that, the rest of the extended Kongs are just poorly designed and not interesting at all. Rare seemed to like inventing new characters for the sake of inventing new characters.

They really should bring back some iconic DKC enemies though. Not the entire bunch of janky looking crocodiles, but Kritter, Gnawty and Zinger would be who I would bring back. The rest are kind of lame looking and still rooted firmly in the 90s.

I think Tropical Freeze has the best balance of DKC characters that I liked. DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky are all cool to me. I never liked Candy, I stopped liking Tiny after her redesign, and I never felt anything for Kiddy, Chunky, or Wrinkly. I think Retro trimmed the fat nicely. The only Kong currently MIA I miss is Lanky (memes aside, I actually like Lanky).

I do miss a lot of the enemies and animal buddies though. Just some of the common ones like you mentioned. It'd be cool if Retro made a few new characters. Considering how many characters DKC has though they are probably reluctant to. It'd be cool to see Jr. back in a game if DK wasn't already him but older.

I do miss a lot of the enemies and animal buddies though. Just some of the common ones like you mentioned. It'd be cool if Retro made a few new characters. Considering how many characters DKC has though they are probably reluctant to. It'd be cool to see Jr. back in a game if DK wasn't already him but older.

I think Retro doesn't want to bring back some of the old enemies because they're tied to K Rool, and it doesn't seem like they want K Rool back in the series.

But Kritters have actually somewhat untied themselves from K Rool, since they appear in spin offs with no mention of K Rool. And the rest are just random animals, so there should be no ties to K Rool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They should bring back and rename Swanky for the new generation as #SWAGgy Kong.

They should bring back Snapjaws from DK Jr. Now that's a classic DK enemy.

Russ T

Banned
What's hilarious is there almost was a hillbilly kong. I would have hated this guy.

hqdefault.jpg

haha wow

just wow

Stay annoyed. I hope Retro brings back Candy Kong with an even lewder redesign just to piss you off.

Stay classy, pal!

The weird thing is it's not like I even dislike Rare's character design, or something like that. There's nothing about Banjo-Kazooie that annoys me. I absolutely adore those games. It only bothers me in DK, and even I don't really know why. It's a purely emotional reaction.

Also as I said before I love Lanky Kong so I am a huge hypocrite.

Also also it's entirely possible Retro could bring back some of the characters and actually make them good as opposed to gross and all would be right in the world. We'll see, we'll see.

Oh no they're poorly designed because they're a bunch of cartoony apes who wear human clothing. Broadly calling them all "poorly designed" without explaining why is something that has always bothered me when people criticize the cast of DKC. Just because you don't like the characters doesn't mean they're poorly designed. I can live without Kiddy and Chunky, but the rest should come back. Yes, even Wrinkly Kong's ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom