• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should bring back and rename Swanky for the new generation as #SWAGgy Kong.

They should bring back Snapjaws from DK Jr. Now that's a classic DK enemy.

Snapjaws never left the series, they just never made it to DKC. They still appear in MvDK. And for some reason appeared in Yoshi's Island DS...

Oh no they're poorly designed because they're a bunch of cartoony apes who wear human clothing. Broadly calling them all "poorly designed" without explaining why is something that has always bothered me when people criticize the cast of DKC. Just because you don't like the characters doesn't mean they're poorly designed. I can live without Kiddy and Chunky, but the rest should come back. Yes, even Wrinkly Kong's ghost.

They're poorly designed because a lot of them are just an old character repurposed to a new character for the sake of making a new character.

Tiny is just Dixie for the sake of having a new character. Same basic abilities, same basic design. So why does Tiny exist? Swanky Kong is DK in different clothing. What point would these characters have to return? What gameplay addition warranted entirely new characters?

And even with characters that are still used, you can still see their origins. Funky is still Donkey Kong with a shirt and pants. Dixie is still just female Diddy without a tail. The Rare recycling origins are still there, but they've gotten better with making them be more unique looking.

It might be why Lanky is usually considered a better design than other Rare random Kongs by some people. Because he is a unique type of ape, has unique and interesting abilities, and is different from the other Kongs.

There's a lot of filler in Rare's DKC games.

Russ T

Banned
Oh no they're poorly designed because they're a bunch of cartoony apes who wear human clothing. Broadly calling them all "poorly designed" without explaining why is something that has always bothered me when people criticize the cast of DKC. Just because you don't like the characters doesn't mean they're poorly designed. I can live without Kiddy and Chunky, but the rest should come back. Yes, even Wrinkly Kong's ghost.

I never said they're poorly designed, though! I would appreciate it if you'd stop taking your aggression out on me just because I happen to dislike something you like.

I never said they're poorly designed, though! I would appreciate it if you'd stop taking your aggression out on me just because I happen to dislike something you like.

Retro has trimmed out the majority of the Rare garbage extended Kong family. The Kongs in Tropical Freeze are probably the only Kongs that will continue. They might bring Candy or Lanky in, but other than that, the rest of the extended Kongs are just poorly designed and not interesting at all. Rare seemed to like inventing new characters for the sake of inventing new characters.

There's a difference between not liking a character and actively hoping that it never comes back even though thousands of fans would be disappointed.

Russ T

Banned

Ah, sorry, you were being unnecessarily aggressive to me in your previous post, so I just assumed you were continuing your pattern of unnecessary aggressiveness.

There's a difference between not liking a character and actively hoping that it never comes back even though thousands of fans would be disappointed.

I feel I explained my position pretty clearly. I'm not hoping they never come back to spite "thousands of fans". I'm hoping they never come back because I actively dislike them and they bring the game down for me.

Is that really so unreasonable? Have you never disliked something that other people like?

Sponge

Banned
I think Retro doesn't want to bring back some of the old enemies because they're tied to K Rool, and it doesn't seem like they want K Rool back in the series.

But Kritters have actually somewhat untied themselves from K Rool, since they appear in spin offs with no mention of K Rool. And the rest are just random animals, so there should be ties to K Rool.

Yeah characters like Gnawty, Zinger and Necky aren't completely tied to the Kremlings and it kind of sucks not having them around.

Even if they have to retcon some stuff I'd still love to see DK Jr. return. I mean, how cool would a team-up like this be?

7nt9yte.png

Chunky Kong and Swanky Kong have thousands of fans just dying to have them in another game??

Other than Lanky, the Kongs everyone likes are already back in the series and will continue to be used.

Sponge

Banned
Now I just wanna finally play Tropical Freeze. I have it but have barely touched it. D:

Do it when you can! It's hands down my favorite DKC game. If you're not into it though don't force yourself. I still catch myself playing my Wii copy of Jungle Beat from time to time. I wish I had the bongos haha.

Is that really so unreasonable? Have you never disliked something that other people like?

There are plenty of characters in Smash I don't like, but it would be selfish of me to want them cut. These characters are beloved. This is why I don't believe in cutting characters. Period. Everybody should know my stance on rosters by now.

Chunky Kong and Swanky Kong have thousands of fans just dying to have them in another game??

That was aimed more at the people who don't want K. Rool in Smash. The Kongs I want them to bring back the most are Candy and Lanky. Candy, because she's part of the original Kong lineup, and Lanky, because he's undoubtedly the best character in Donkey Kong 64.

Russ T

Banned
There are plenty of characters in Smash I don't like, but it would be selfish of me to want them cut. These characters are beloved. This is why I don't believe in cutting characters. Period. Everybody should know my stance on rosters by now.

Well but we haven't been talking about Smash during this conversation (despite this being a Smash thread, I know!). We've been talking about the Donkey Kong video games.

My stance on Smash characters is pretty much identical to yours. I even said before I'm all for K Rool; even though I dislike him and wouldn't vote for him, I'd never fight against his inclusion. So, I'm still not sure why you're so hostile regarding my tastes and opinions?

Lanky, because he's undoubtedly the best character in Donkey Kong 64.

At least we are in agreement on this! :D

I'd go so far as to say he's the best character in the Rare DK universe besides the big man himself, though. O:

Zubz

Banned
I'm glad to see that we were giving the GX soundtrack some love last night, but there was no love for Dr. Stewart's theme? I don't even know you people anymore.

As for the Kongs, how can anyone be hating on how generic they look? I mean, you have creative gold like Chunky Kong? Kiddy Kong? Swanky Kong? ... Bluster Kong? Who can think Swanky Kong was unoriginal?

Despite Swanky just being DK's model with scrawnier arms and longer legs, I actually liked the character way back when. I don't know why.

Russ T

Banned
Do it when you can! It's hands down my favorite DKC game. If you're not into it though don't force yourself. I still catch myself playing my Wii copy of Jungle Beat from time to time. I wish I had the bongos haha.

Oh, I'm sure I'll love it. Platformer is, hands-down, my absolute favorite genre. I adored the first Retro DKC game, too, and by all accounts this one is better. (Plus it has pogo-stick Cranky, which is a gameplay mechanic I'll always love because of Commander Keen!)

Also now I want to play DK64 because of all this talk about Lanky.

...That might be a grave mistake, though.

this isn't helping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

argh at this point i'm on track to just playing through every single donkey kong game (well, all the mainline platformers, anyway, starting with dkc1)

Ryce

The June DLC presentation was announced six days in advance, so I'm really hoping for news tomorrow that there will be a special announcement on September 13 (the one year anniversary).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The June DLC presentation was announced six days in advance, so I'm really hoping for news tomorrow that there will be a special announcement on September 13 (the one year anniversary).

If we are getting any announcement this week then that would be glorious because we are getting Smash and Street Fighter 5 announcements this week. Either way, I would be very happy with just one announcement which is practically confirmed to be shown.

Neoxon

If we are getting any announcement this week then that would be glorious because we are getting Smash and Street Fighter 5 announcements this week. Either way, I would be very happy with just one announcement which is practically confirmed to be shown.
Same, but I have my doubts that we'll get anything in terms of Smash news in the near future (though I'd love to be wrong).

Ryce

Also, Sakurai recently returned to Twitter after a nearly month-long absence, and that's something he tends to do when there's an announcement on the horizon.

Neoxon

Also, Sakurai recently returned to Twitter after a nearly month-long absence, and that's something he tends to do when there's an announcement on the horizon.
So right when I make my post, this happens. Maybe I'll be happily wrong, after all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Same, but I have my doubts that we'll get anything in terms of Smash news in the near future (though I'd love to be wrong).

I'm fine with it if they decide to wait until after the ballot approach at it's end date. It's only 26 days.

Same for Smash Bros JP Twitter. I just checked to see what he tweeted today, I'm still unsure if I should buy two R.O.B or not.

Maybe my prediction of the Smash Bros Anniversary will be correct.

Just seemed like a good day to do something. It's a Sunday, it's the anniversary, and it's far enough away from the last DLC.

Let's see some Wolf action.

Neoxon

Maybe my prediction of the Smash Bros Anniversary will be correct.

Just seemed like a good day to do something. It's a Sunday, it's the anniversary, and it's far enough away from the last DLC.

Let's see some Wolf action.
Like I said, we also got a tweet back in August, & no big DLC announcement followed it. Maybe we'll get something, maybe we won't. The point is that we shouldn't take Sakurai's return to Twitter as a sure-fire sign of something big coming.

Zubz

Banned
Like I said, we also got a tweet back in August, & no big DLC announcement followed it. Maybe we'll get something, maybe we won't. The point is that we shouldn't take Sakurai's return to Twitter as a sure-fire sign of something big coming.

Thanks for quashing that hype; I almost got excited over Sakurai's return to Twitter! That would've been embarrassing.

And I still find it hilarious that he's an Amiibo collector, despite the fact that he made Smash. You'd think they could just pay him in Amiibo!

Ryce

• One year anniversary is approaching (September 13)
  • The last DLC set released 47 days after the E3 set; September 13 would be 44 days from then, so the timing fits
  • Sakurai and Smash Bros. JP Twitter accounts have been active this past week
  • Nintendo has been aggressively advertising the old DLC recently
None of that means anything concrete, but I'm still feeling kind of hopeful. We're due for something soon.

Russ T

Banned
  • The last DLC set released 47 days after the E3 set; September 13 would be 44 days from then, so the timing fits
None of that means anything concrete, but I'm still feeling kind of hopeful. We're due for something soon.

Yeah I think it's not unreasonable to jump aboard the hype train at this point.

PICHU PICHU PICHU

Dr. Buni

Very nice. Shovel Knight can't be announced soon enough.

Ah yeah, some nice simple Smash hype. That's what I like to see.

Lol Pichu

I think we get to have a newcomer as next character revealed and that it will be first party.
Wolf can come later to advertise SF0. Even if SK is in they would not laugh in the Japanese player's faces by showing him before the characters they know about & voted for.

Also more Kongs made Rare's worlds feel more alive and like a community instead of a utilitarian waste land like a lot of Mario games

Neoxon

Thanks for quashing that hype; I almost got excited over Sakurai's return to Twitter! That would've been embarrassing.

And I still find it hilarious that he's an Amiibo collector, despite the fact that he made Smash. You'd think they could just pay him in Amiibo!
Better to have your expectations lowered now than to be disappointed later.

Dr. Buni

The next newcomer will likely be announced with a veteran and most agree that Wolf is the most likely veteran to come back next (though I would prefer it to be Pichu if only for the reactions and to see people's "predictions" failing once again... and because she is a cutie).

Pichu would be like Dark Pit. You'd have people whining it's the worst thing to ever happen to Smash and then a few weeks later they'd be enjoyed like all the other Smash characters are.

Nobody really minds Dark Pit anymore. Just like they won't mind Pichu after a few weeks if it comes back.

Pichu would be like Dark Pit. You'd have people whining it's the worst thing to ever happen to Smash and then a few weeks later they'd be enjoyed like all the other Smash characters are.

Nobody really minds Dark Pit anymore. Just like they won't mind Pichu after a few weeks if it comes back.

Nobody had to buy Dark Pit separately.

Neoxon

The next newcomer will likely be announced with a veteran and most agree that Wolf is the most likely veteran to come back next (though I would prefer it to be Pichu if only for the reactions and to see people's "predictions" failing once again... and because she is a cutie).
I don't think Pichu was a she.

Zubz

Banned
Nobody had to buy Dark Pit separately.

Yeah. I'd buy Pichu, but she's an unpopular clone. People'd probably grow into her ala Dark Pit if she didn't cost anything, but I doubt we'll be getting a new character for free. Paying $4-5 for a clone wouldn't sit well with most people, so unless she's discounted, she won't see much use. Same for DK Jr., Alph, and Metal Mario (Though I'd personally only begrudgingly buy MM for a complete roster).

I don't think Pichu was a she.

I think it's just fanon; Pichu was before Pokémon had gender dimorphism, and Pichu itself lacks dimorphic features, anyway.

Richie

If they brought Mushroom Kingdom 64 back, you think the warp pipes would work?

May as well not bring it back if they won't. I was pleasantly surprised by the remade tornadoes in Hyrule's Castle (and how they gave everyone the corresponding animation of being blown away by them) so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Supposing that the next DLC batch is heavily Mario oriented to capitalize on the 30th anniversary, what would you guys like to see? A Pauline Brawler Mii costume would be awesome! (Admittedly that's more DK :p)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Pretty sure Pitoo is still the butt of jokes about filler character. Not as big as his announcement, but it still exists. It's not something like what happened to Wolf who got vindicated after his reveal and availability.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Okay, how many days apart for first two updates since you listed third one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom