• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah. I'd buy Pichu, but she's an unpopular clone. People'd probably grow into her ala Dark Pit if she didn't cost anything, but I doubt we'll be getting a new character for free. Paying $4-5 for a clone wouldn't sit well with most people, so unless she's discounted, she won't see much use. Same for DK Jr., Alph, and Metal Mario (Though I'd personally only begrudgingly buy MM for a complete roster).

I think it's just fanon; Pichu was before Pokémon had gender dimorphism, and Pichu itself lacks dimorphic features, anyway.

What if Pichu was, similarly to Roy, reworked enough to justify the inclusion?

I personally don't really expect Pichu, but man would I be super duper stoked.

What if Pichu was, similarly to Roy, reworked enough to justify the inclusion?

I personally don't really expect Pichu, but man would I be super duper stoked.

I honestly think we'd be better off if they added a different electric rodent from a different gen. Emolga would be nice to see since it could have a different up-B from Pikachu.

But with how protective Pokemon Company is of their property in general I don't expect we'll see any Pokemon DLC other than Mewtwo.

I say newcomer first because if a veteran comes first then people would complain that the ballot was a joke, which is something I think Sakurai would be hyper sensitive about.

Also because Wolf can come closer to SF0 and no veteran other than him is both feasible and highly requested.

Final guess is 4 newcomers and 4 vets

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So for the next update, how many characters (if any at all) are you guys expecting to be revealed?

I personally think we're getting two. If I had to guess, probably Shovel Knight and a veteran.

I say newcomer first because if a veteran comes first then people would complain that the ballot was a joke, which is something I think Sakurai would be hyper sensitive about.

Also because Wolf can come closer to SF0 and no veteran other than him is both feasible and highly requested.

This is my line of thinking as well.

Four veterans:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf

Four newcomers:

Ryu
Ballot Choice A
Ballot Choice B
Ballot Choice C

Why would they complain the ballot was a joke if the ballot hasn't even officially ended yet?

I would be incredibly surprised if the next (and final) DLC characters aren't just 2-3 more vets and one more new comer.

This is my line of thinking as well.

Four veterans:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Wolf

Four newcomers:

Ryu
Ballot Choice A
Ballot Choice B
Ballot Choice C

That's super optimistic. We have no reason to believe they'll suddenly change their current strategy of mostly vets.

That's incredibly optimistic. We have no reason to believe they'll suddenly change their current strategy of mostly vets.

"current strategy"

Veterans are easier to make therefore we will get them first. I don't know why you suddenly believe that characters like Pichu are guaranteed just because we've gotten mostly vets up until this point. Who's left?

They made the guaranteed popular vets first and with the exception of Wolf will be using the ballot for newcomers IMO. It's super pessimistic to just think we're gonna get 99% vets from her on out, especially slap in the face ones like Pichu

Why is "most just vets" GAF's new party line? It's like before release when DIXIE & CHORUS KIDS R SHOO INS was everywhere (and it kind of is even now)

"current strategy"

Veterans are easier to make therefore we will get them first. I don't know why you suddenly believe that characters like Pichu are guaranteed just because we've gotten mostly vets up until this point. Who's left?

Vets are easier to make, therefore we'll get more of them. That's my line of thinking.

Pichu, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur are left. Young Link too I guess, but I don't count him.

Of those, Snake and Ice Climbers seem unlikely, leaving Wolf, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

If we get 4 DLC and it's vet heavy again, that's why people are thinking about Pichu. Because Pichu is basically the next option after Wolf, so even if the next batch of DLC is 50% vets, it basically leaves Pichu as the other vet. Pichu is easy DLC. They can clone him in exactly the same way they did in Melee, take Pikachu as a base, shrink him down, and change him from there. Slap on a new running animation, change his forward Smash to the Melee animation, and his idle and upsmash changes from Melee and there's another character some people would enjoy.

They made the guaranteed popular vets first and with the exception of Wolf will be using the ballot for newcomers IMO. It's super pessimistic to just think we're gonna get 99% vets from her on out, especially slap in the face ones like Pichu

Why is "most just vets" GAF's new party line? It's like before release when DIXIE & CHORUS KIDS R SHOO INS was everywhere (and it kind of is even now)

Because some of us came to the realization that Sakurai wasn't lying and the team making DLC is incredibly small. It should have been blatantly obvious this was true with the last DLC. A huge pile of new comers just isn't realistic. It might have been when it was raining DLC characters from the sky a few months back, but that seems to have just been a fluke, or poor timing of release, rather than an indication their team is able to rapidly develop characters.

Ignorant people already perceive Lucas and Wolf as clones, so it would be an uphill battle to convince the masses that Pichu is worth $3.99. I don't see it happening. They'd be better off cloning DK and releasing Funky Kong as a newcomer.

Ignorant people already perceive Lucas and Wolf as clones, so it would be an uphill battle to convince the masses that Pichu is worth $3.99. I don't see it happening. They'd be better off cloning DK and releasing Funky Kong as a newcomer.

You're really underestimating Pichu's popularity. Especially if he gets a Roy style remake. They like him a lot in Japan and he's no slouch in the west either. He's a vet, people will buy him based entirely on nostalgia.

Just because he was a joke clone 15 years ago doesn't mean he'd have to continue to be one. They've already shown they're able to take past unbalanced clones and make them feel more unique and more balanced.

It's impossible to underestimate Pichu's popularity lol

He's like lucky to be top 20 on any poll anywhere, even in Japan

It's seeming like people just projecting their own want for Pichu onto the ballot or the past DLC

Ryce

I think the point is that Pichu is popular enough (all vets are) to justify being included as a "ballot character," regardless of its precise ranking.

Dr. Buni

I think all vets other than Ice Climbers and maybe Snake are coming back regardless of ballot result. Roy proves that you don't even need to be a great character/come from a popular game to be popular in Smash. If you are a veteran, you have fans and if the characters have fans, there will be people wanting to buy the DLC. Plus, bringing back veterans is mostly "easy money".

So yeah, I think Pichu is coming back and maybe Ivysaur and Squirtle too.

It's seeming like people just projecting their own want for Pichu onto the ballot or the past DLC
lel :^)

Neoxon

But the thing is, the ballot isn't a popularity contest, it never was. If Sakurai sees a good idea in the ballot, he'll take it, regardless of where they're placed. It's just that the Top 10 or so are more likely to be seen by Sakurai & considered.

Javier

Had Roy not returned in the last DLC wave, a lot of people would probably be dumping him along with Pichu in the "No way" pile.

Zubz

Banned
Had Roy not returned in the last DLC wave, a lot of people would probably be dumping him along with Pichu in the "No way" pile.

I think Pichu's still generally in the "No Way" pile for most. We just overanalyze these things until we start humoring things like that Mirror Mode leak.

I mean, it's fun, but it leads to people expecting stuff like Pichu.

jph139

I think I'd rank the Vets as follows:

VERY LIKELY: Wolf
POSSIBLE: Pichu, Squirtle
NO-HOPERS: Young Link, Snake, Ivysaur

So it's possible that we'd get all three of the top tiers (or two and one wildcard from the no-hopers) and a Newcomer, to follow the pattern from the first pack. Or we'd just get Wolf and three newcomers to make the overall balance 50/50. Or we'd get Wolf and Pichu/Squirtle and two newcomers to make that pack more balanced overall.

Or fuck it, I dunno, we'll get Snake, Young Link, Pichu, K. Rool, Layton, and Shovel Knight by the end of the year and then we'll start on ballot characters in 2016. We're pretty much lost at sea here.

I have a solution to this "veteran" conundrum: there aren't four characters left, only two. The character packs will just end up being different sized, we'll get Wolf and one newcomer. Everyone wins! And by that I mean no one, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

I think Pichu's still generally in the "No Way" pile for most. We just overanalyze these things until we start humoring things like that Mirror Mode leak.

The veteran I would say was "no way" is Ice Climbers.

Likely happening: Wolf
Probably happening: Pichu
Could happen if they need more vets: Squirtle, Ivysaur
Happening with a miracle: Snake
Not happening: Ice Climber
Wasn't cut dammit stop saying he was: Young Link

They already were a few months before he leaked. Even after he leaked there were whiners

But the thing is, the ballot isn't a popularity contest, it never was. If Sakurai sees a good idea in the ballot, he'll take it, regardless of where they're placed. It's just that the Top 10 or so are more likely to be seen by Sakurai & considered.

BS, they need DLC to sell and some characters will flat out sell better than others

Pichu is a loathed character, especially among the casuals this site seems to obsess over with all other aspects of DLC, like OH NO THE CASUALS DUNNO THIS CHARACTER, NO CHANCE

Roy kinda got ignored in spite of being like Top 3 in Japan and big in America because of being FE Rep 5 and also named Roy, but even he is way better than Pichu, cuz so many people liked Roy for meme value in melee

Zubz

Banned
BS, they need DLC to sell and some characters will flat out sell better than others

Pichu is a loathed character, especially among the casuals this site seems to obsess over with all other aspects of DLC, like OH NO THE CASUALS DUNNO THIS CHARACTER, NO CHANCE

Sakurai picks the characters he thinks fit, though. It's why he chose Robin over Chrom, and why it was easier for him to make Villager work in a way that he'd like than Ridley. He's still on DLC team, so I can see him ignoring a popular character he's indifferent on for a modestly-popular oddball.

This is a good post

Yeah he has some leeway but that was with the main game, and Chrom wasn't some popular juggernaut anyway, only the most expected choice because people are lazy with who they call shoo-ins--basically "all protagonists in new games or characters in leaks are shoo-ins, everyone else is wishful thinking."

He also said fan service from here on out, so unless it's deciding between like the top three choices within reasonable distances of each other he's not just gonna throw in his random favorites. At least hopefully not, and he'd be backtracking if he did!!!

The DKC character talk is giving me 'nam style flashbacks to the mid 2000's where the Rare buyout and experimental phase of DK games meant there were constant debates over whether they should just scrape what Rare did and start anew or build off what they did.

I think Smash and Retro's games make it pretty obvious what Nintendo decided in the end. No clue why it's up for debate at this point; you're going to see more full-frontal Lanky Kong within your lifetime Rare-haters.

He was just advertising the upcoming wave of Amiibos over in Japan. He also posted the differences between the JP ROB Amiibo & the NA/EU ROB Amiibo.

COCPe_YUEAAhv8h.png
CODE9lZUEAAOiQd.jpg
the obsessive consumer whore in me is asking whether I should rebuy ROB for both regions god damn it sakurai

Vets are going to sell well no matter what. Nostalgia is a big thing for Smash Bros, especially for Melee.

A character with modest popularity, that was a vet, in a game where vets have made up the majority of DLC, and is incredibly easy to make because it's based on another fighter has a very good chance of returning.

Even you said Pichu is probably around the top 20. You said that as if the top 20 in a ballot with thousands of potential candidates is somehow a bad thing. When to me that actually show Pichu has a pretty modest fan base. Enough that, given the effort to make him, is probably worth it for DLC.

kirby_fox

Banned
Gonna laugh when we don't get Wolf or Pichu, and they end it with Shovel Knight and Layton. No Dixie or K Rool either.

I might cry a little too, but it'd be worth it.

Russ T

Banned

Roy kinda got ignored in spite of being like Top 3 in Japan and big in America because of being FE Rep 5 and also named Roy, but even he is way better than Pichu, cuz so many people liked Roy for meme value in melee
What? I'm definitely not a hardcore smash player and I love pichu?

Why do you hate pichu so much?

Also odd that you say pichu is hated by casuals and then cite memes of all things a the reason Roy was picked.

What? I'm definitely not a hardcore smash player and I love pichu?

Why do you hate pichu so much?

Also odd that you say pichu is hated by casuals and then cite memes of all things a the reason Roy was picked.

Casuals and a lot of online fans adore Roy, almost everyone except "what if! what if!" hipsters hate Pichu, no comparison

Third party newcomers that aren't iconic will not sell much better than first party characters but have so many more hurdles to jump so why would they have nothing but them? That's just ludicrous

Shame about what happened to Konami. But that's in the past. Pachinko is their future.
Gotta be the very best, Pachinko Machine there ever was. To flip them bumpers are my real test, to take money is my cause.

PACHINKO!! GOTTA GET ALL THE MONEY! MONEY AND ME! PACHINKO ITS YOU AND ME, TO THE TEST...OR SOMETHING. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS.

I dunno what Pachinko even is, but I'm assuming its a pinball table. Also sorry for randomness, it just came to me.

Golnei

I think people are being too pessimistic about Konami and Nintendo's relationship - not only are they licensing the Momotaru Densetsu IP from them, Konami is collaborating with EAD for the Super Mario Sunshine sequel; helping to expand some of the original's most ambitious concepts.

The idea that we're getting another 3 newcomers and 1 vet is very optimistic to me. IIRC, the files have 2 more placeholders for characters, and some fans worked out that the CSS can fit about 2 more without adjusting formation/icon size. Also, the fighter packs don't need to be the same size. In NA/EU, Fighter Pack 1 is the first 4 DLC characters. In Japan, Mewtwo is Fighter Pack 1, and the 4 character bundle is fighter pack 1-2. There's no real reason to believe we're getting two 4-character bundles.

Whatever we get, I think the ballot choices are well under way in development.

Also I see a lot of people really pessimistic about Konami characters, but I don't know why. Is there any reason to believe that they're off the cards when it comes to Smash, or is it just that they're dicks and haven't been supporting Nintendo hardware?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
pachinkos are slot + pinball with some franchise put on top of them (e.g. King of Fighters), usually in a form of a screen playing animations.

Russ T

Banned
"what if! what if!" hipsters

To be honest, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean!

Pichu would be cool, though. Isn't that enough? ):

Also I see a lot of people really pessimistic about Konami characters, but I don't know why. Is there any reason to believe that they're off the cards when it comes to Smash, or is it just that they're dicks and haven't been supporting Nintendo hardware?

I'd think they would be more willing than ever to just toss their properties around all willy-nilly to make a quick buck. But I wonder if it's Nintendo holding back this time, because of all the shenanigans, or maybe it is just as you ponder, that Konami doesn't do anything for Nintendo anymore? I don't know!

If it is for some reason not possible, I'd put the blame at Nintendo's feet on this one, not Konami's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom