• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or do the easier solution & promote Alph to a full-on clone. Supposedly the work has already been put in.

Let's promote Alph to a full on clone and give Brittany her own moveset that involves swinging pikming around as weapons and throwing fruit juice in opponents faces, it's not gonna happen (like most things I want in this game) but I can dream.

I just want a Pikmin character I'd actually enjoy playing as, unfortunately Olimar's playstyle just doesn't do anything for me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ryu, Roy and Lucas?

Also Sunday is the one year anniversary.

Yeah, but that was E3 week so I kinda understand why they decided to release it on Sunday.

Time to board the Brittany hype train, Sakurai is already a fan as we learned from the pic of the day with her trophy last year.

I'm on board for second pikmin character. I love the franchise so I'm willing to see anyone being second.

Hopefully they don't nerf him into the ground like some other characters were at launch (IE Falco/Marth)

I hope that Wolf would be so good just like Ryu, Lucas and Roy.

Hopefully they don't nerf him into the ground like some other characters were at launch (IE Falco/Marth)

He'll get a significant buff to his recovery because the Star Fox crew no longer go into helpless state from their side special.

Let's promote Alph to a full on clone and give Brittany her own moveset that involves swinging pikming around as weapons and throwing fruit juice in opponents faces, it's not gonna happen (like most things I want in this game) but I can dream.

I just want a Pikmin character I'd actually enjoy playing as, unfortunately Olimar's playstyle just doesn't do anything for me.

Olimar pretty much has the perfect Pikmin moveset. He represents his series really well, and his moveset is one of the more faithful in Smash, which is interesting because he comes from a top down RTS sort of game and yet that transitioned into Smash really well.

Olimar pretty much has the perfect Pikmin moveset. He represents his series really well, and his moveset is one of the more faithful in Smash, which is interesting because he comes from a top down RTS sort of game and yet that transitioned into Smash really well.

Oh I don't disagree, if anything I find it too perfect.
Chucking pikmin at people and limited striking otherwise just doesn't engage me much as a fighting game character.

How weird, I was looking over some sprite sheets from Smash and noticed the All Star images for Ryu, Lucas and Roy seem to depict beta models for them...
67242.png

Lucas appears to be using his Brawl model posed in his Smash 4 pose, and Roy has a younger face, closer to his face from Melee. Ryu's eyebrows aren't as thick, his neck is longer and his hair looks not as detailed. His face is also at a different angle.

Just a weird thing they left in the game. Nobody probably even notices when playing All Star on the Wii U.

Why not instead we use the three Pikmin 3 captains as one character. You choose the character, and sling simplified models of the other two around instead of Pikmin :D

I will take your Brittany moveset too. I wants her!

Ryce

How weird, I was looking over some sprite sheets from Smash and noticed the All Star images for Ryu, Lucas and Roy seem to depict beta models for them...

Lucas appears to be using his Brawl model posed in his Smash 4 pose, and Roy has a younger face, closer to his face from Melee. Ryu's eyebrows aren't as thick, his neck is longer and his hair looks not as detailed. His face is also at a different angle.
They're not "beta models" -- they're just using images of their in-game trophies instead of their renders for some reason. That definitely isn't Brawl Lucas.

Zubz

Banned

It's never going to happen, but as a fan of Pikmin, with Brittany being my favorite captain, I'm all for this!

I mean, Alph's probably going to stay an alt and Brittany's a no hoper, but I'd still love for this to happen! I also am expecting a slow, steady stream of DLC characters until an NX port, though, so I'm probably just hopelessly optimistic.

They're not "beta models" -- they're just using images of their in-game trophies instead of their renders for some reason. That definitely isn't Brawl Lucas.

Oh, his head looked fatter, the stripes looked thinner and his hair looked different. I guess, based on the shadow, it is his trophy.

Roy's face still looks weird.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, we were talking about Bomberman music and nobody mentioned Bomberman Hero's unfitting-but-wonderful D&B soundtrack? I mean, even if we got Bomberman, I'm sure we'd just get a few remixes of the 2 songs from the NES game, and maybe a song from Super Bomberman if we're lucky. Plus, I'm still pretty disappointed in the Street Fighter selection for not having anything from SFIII, or at least Guile's Theme.

I mean, I know Bomberman's even less likely than Snake, seeing how they can't just copy-paste him a moveset. Nevertheless, I really want him in Smash, and if that happens, I'd love for him to bring some songs from Hero with him. Or at the very least, Redial

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope to see this character become playable character somehow!?

MkpPXwg.jpg

Well, I have to face it that he probably wouldn't become playable character.

Edited: I'm going to wear Isaac avatar until Smash Ballot is over then I will be back with my Duck Hunt avatar again.

I think Isaac's best shot was in Brawl. Unless a new Golden Sun with him as main character comes out and somehow does decently well, I don't see him ever making it into Smash as a playable character.

It it hypocrisy that makes people ignore Issac because it's not relevance holding him back, his latest game was later than Little Mac's, people just argue "Dark Dawn bombed" but then run ahead and support Wonder Red and other protagonists from tiny series or even one off games. That's silly

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Don't worry Intelliheath, I'm hoping for Isaac too.

It doesn't mean much, but he's consistently top five in the random website polls. Hope remains until the end.

I really hope to see this character become playable character somehow!?

MkpPXwg.jpg

Well, I have to face it that he probably wouldn't become playable character.

Edited: I'm going to wear Isaac avatar until Smash Ballot is over then I will be back with my Duck Hunt avatar again.

YEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

I'm still strongly hoping for Isaac to get in. I also wish Camelot would partner with some studio to help revive the series too. Stinks how the series went vapor after Lost Age.

It it hypocrisy that makes people ignore Issac because it's not relevance holding him back, his latest game was later than Little Mac's, people just argue "Dark Dawn bombed" but then run ahead and support Wonder Red and other protagonists from tiny series or even one off games. That's silly

Fun fact: The first Golden Sun on GBA outsold every single Fire Emblem game ever made, worldwide, including Awakening. There was a GAF thread about GBA software sales some time ago that had this information. The first two Golden Sun games were a huge success. It's too bad about Dark Dawn. I thought that game had a number of issues though, and the interest in the series at large has largely evaporated. For nostalgia's sake, there should've been some Golden Sun fanservice on the 3DS version of Smash. GS was a noteworthy part of GBA's history. Even Miyamoto briefly mentioned its success a long time ago in an interview. Wish Sakurai could give us some love too. :(

Dr. Buni

I disliked what I played of Golden Sun, but Isaac is one of these characters I'd like to see in Smash because of how much his fans want him. Plus, Golden Sun have a great soundtrack, so to the very least, I would get more great music to listen while smashing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fun fact: The first Golden Sun on GBA outsold every single Fire Emblem game ever made, worldwide, including Awakening.

Wow, I had no idea. I was always under the assumption Golden Sun was a smaller series...
A lot of that had to do with how starved Nintendo fans were for RPGs* after the N64 years. We had Paper Mario, Tactics Ogre: Person of Lordly Caliber, and Quest 64 and... that was pretty much it. Tales of Symphonia benefited a lot because of that, too.

When Dark Dawn came out, the DS audience wasn't nearly as in need of a quality fantasy RPG. The Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ports were numerous, and the RPG developers that left Nintendo in the late 90s came back in droves after development costs rose considerably for the console market. It also didn't help that, quite frankly, Dark Dawn was shit.

Isaac could get in anytime Sakurai wants him to but suffers from the fact that his support dies every time Smash Bros comes out and he's not playable. Which has happened twice. Though twice is not enough to claim that Isaac is unusable. Hell, he was even removed as an Assist Trophy.

A lot of that had to do with how starved Nintendo fans were for RPGs* after the N64 years. We had Paper Mario, Tactics Ogre: Person of Lordly Caliber, and Quest 64 and... that was pretty much it. Tales of Symphonia benefited a lot because of that, too.

When Dark Dawn came out, the DS audience wasn't nearly as in need of a quality fantasy RPG. The Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ports were numerous, and the RPG developers that left Nintendo in the late 90s came back in droves after development costs rose considerably for the console market. It also didn't help that, quite frankly, Dark Dawn was shit.

Good points. There was a lot less competition for the game on GBA and for Nintendo fans at the time. Plus, the visuals were a stand-out among early and even later GBA releases. Also, I was puny when I played it, and it was probably my first non Pokemon and Mario RPG. I wonder how many newbies like me they were, since GBA was popular with the young crowd.

Dark Dawn had a lot more competition and... well, it wasn't even as good as the first two. Its biggest appeal was nostalgia for us old fans. I hated the forced tutorials in the beginning. The first two didn't do that. And the story... let's find a feather because our friend is an idiot and broke some machine when told not to mess with it. Yay!

I hope one day they can bring it back. Especially after that ending. lol

Dr. Buni

Isaac could get in anytime Sakurai wants him to but suffers from the fact that his support dies every time Smash Bros comes out and he's not playable. Which has happened twice. Though twice is not enough to claim that Isaac is unusable. Hell, he was even removed as an Assist Trophy.
Maybe he will be added to Smash 8's roster as the "retro" character.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
well you know my stance about GS. A mediocre RPG normally would have been forgotten that got lucky.

did you just avatar quote me from 1 thousand mile away? haha

it's the most recognizable Wolf image that shows annoyance and disillusion :p

well you know my stance about GS. A mediocre RPG normally would have been forgotten that got lucky.

it's the most recognizable Wolf image that shows annoyance and disillusion :p
Yeah, I don't get the GS love. At the same time, it's one of Nintendo's most popular RPG series, so I'm fine with it getting inclusion. The only two good parts of GS were the Read Mind power, and some of the puzzles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The story is generic four elemental crystals drivel, but the battle system is sooooooo good.
Yeah, I don't get the GS love. At the same time, it's one of Nintendo's most popular RPG series, so I'm fine with it getting inclusion. The only two good parts of GS were the Read Mind power, and some of the puzzles.
Flashy visuals on the GBA plus Zelda-like dungeons during the height of Zelda's popularity. It's not hard to see why it caught on.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nothing stands out in its turn based combat though, aside from summoning, and even then it gets repetitive.

Pokemaniac

Nothing stands out in its turn based combat though, aside from summoning, and even then it gets repetitive.

I'm pretty sure that the highlight of the combat system is the dynamic class system, where using/summoning Djinni actually has an effect on your stats and which Psynergy you can use.

The story is generic four elemental crystals drivel, but the battle system is sooooooo good.

Flashy visuals on the GBA plus Zelda-like dungeons during the height of Zelda's popularity. It's not hard to see why it caught on.
The battle system is really basic. You can just spam summons through 99% of fights in the game, including the final boss. You can also just abuse the invincibility summons if you have the patience, and nothing is challenging.

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure that the highlight of the combat system is the dynamic class system, where using/summoning Djinni actually has an effect on your stats and which Psynergy you can use.
It's mostly just annoying, because most of the classes aren't good, and you usually have to sacrifice a character or two to get a good class for the others.

Honestly, most RPGs have horrifically bad combat systems. The only ones I would list as good are Chrono Trigger, Shadow Hearts, and TWEWY. If SE combined FFXII and FFXIII's combat systems, that could be really good, but by themselves both are bad as well.

Golden Sun was cool because the battles were in 3D on a handheld when everyone was still used to the Game Boy Color being pretty good tech. That's basically what the marketing focused on and the fancy summons are all most people remember about the game.

It was the right sort of flashy for that moment in time and the sequels didn't live up to that first-time wow factor the original had. It just wasn't novel anymore.

I'd love to see a Golden Sun rep because I think they could be really fun to play as and have cool abilities, but I don't think it makes much sense as a DLC pick right now. Make them a hidden fighter in Smash 5.

I always found golden sun's in-battle graphics to be quite hideous.
At the time the 3D camera stuff was really impressive on a handheld. Everyone was constantly raving about how good it looked and how close we must be to a portable FF7 sort of thing.

Which in retrospect is a little bit like how people saw the n64 and were like WOAH I BET THIS COULD PLAY LIKE THE MOVIE TOY STORY IN REALTIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom