• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if some how he ever got changed I bet his mains would defend the changes any way, since they would make sense like Bowser or Pit's did

Bowser got a new idle stand, a new run animation, a new neutral air, and a new forward Smash. Not really a remake. Ganondorf himself got a new idle, a new run animation, new tilts and a new up Smash in Brawl. And more.

They obviously realized something was up with heavy characters being very bad in the game. If changing Ganondorf's moveset will make him a better character then change the moveset. Because grandpa jog doesn't really scream Demon King.

Ganondorf has no canon run animation. He always walks or floats slowly, being slow and calculated is his thing. He could float when running I guess, but he's only floated in one game, and it might start entering Mewtwo territory.

Counterquestion: Why is it so hard to accept that some people are disappointed with his representation?
Because I disagree with their attitude and approach in regards to his moveset?

There's a difference between "I'd rather Ganondorf gets a different moveset" and "Sakurai is an incompetent designer with no regards to this character's history. He should be ashamed for making Ganondorf the way he is", of which the latter example is far more prominent.
It's annoying.

And if some how he ever got changed I bet his mains would defend the changes any way, since they would make sense like Bowser or Pit's did
Bowser and Pit are largely the same as in Brawl outside of Pit getting better specials and Bowser getting a better BAir... Even Falco changed more than they did.

Pit has the most dramatic change in specials the series has had, but his standard attack changes are pretty standard, and I'd argue his down special is the same in spirit and not much different than boomerang->gale boomerang.

Russ T

Banned
I think the thing is that so called "experts" like to write these pieces and videos on why the existing Ganondorf is objectively correct and condescend to all the people who want him changed like they are kids of something. Like "people want him changed but why can't you see the brilliant design of WARLOCK PUNCH = POWER = IN CHARACTER? why would you ever want a change lmao"
Frustrating

Yeah both sides have extremists who just annoyingly refuse to empathize with the other side, which is absurd.

Also just gonna repeat my little aside that they just need to make a Toon Ganandorf. (And Toon Zelda while they're at it. Specifically Tetra. Both!!)

Why yes I do know it's ridiculous to ask for more Zelda characters that are just different versions of the ones that already exist and no I don't care!!!!!

Russ T

Banned
Because I disagree with their attitude and approach in regards to his moveset?
I'm not asking you to agree with them, just to understand that it's okay for people to disagree without insinuating that the other side is somehow being unreasonable... Is that so unreasonable?

E: oops double post sorry D:

A lot of characters that got significant changes in Smash 4 are actually worse off than in Brawl. Even Yoshi.

Lucario is the most depressing though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather Ganon be made with a unique moveset. That way Ganon/dorf gets a unique moveset while also retaining a fighter people like. Considering we have Sheik for Zelda and two forms of Link, having Ganon as the next Zelda newcomer would be rather appropriate so all three have an alternative form as a fighter.

I just want Ganondorf to have a new Up and Down Special. And change up some tilts. But I'm not entirely dissatisfied with him.

Every one of Ganondorf's tilts are unique to him. His up is the charge foot slam thing, his forward is the kick from Twilight Princess, and down tilt is exactly the same as forward, just while crouching.

Up Special I could stand to have changed, although it's more decloned in Smash 4, as it has an entirely new animation, but it's not really noticeable. Wizard's Foot could be changed to Wizard's Drop Kick with a new, custom animation, and would be a unique attack.

Every one of Ganondorf's tilts are unique to him. His up is the charge foot slam thing, his forward is the kick from Twilight Princess, and down tilt is exactly the same as forward, just while crouching.

Up Special I could stand to have changed, although it's more decloned in Smash 4, as it has an entirely new animation, but it's not really noticeable. Wizard's Foot could be changed to Wizard's Drop Kick with a new, custom animation, and would be a unique attack.

I think the up tilt is a little more similar to Falcon's. It's just that Dorf holds it longer. I think his aerials could get some tweaks too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People bitch about all the sword users in the game, but when discussion goes back to Ganondorf they want him to use a sword anyway so what is the fucking point?

Ganon spinning a trident, though? Also bats. Lots of bats.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd rather Ganon be made with a unique moveset. That way Ganon/dorf gets a unique moveset while also retaining a fighter people like. Considering we have Sheik for Zelda and two forms of Link, having Ganon as the next Zelda newcomer would be rather appropriate so all three have an alternative form as a fighter.

No, Ganon should be King Dedede' clone! /sarcasm

I still reckon you could just reanimate a lot of Ganondorf's A moves so he's using a sword/trident, but keep the hitboxes and stats the same. Like, his up tilt could be him slowly raising his sword before he slams it down, his dair similarly him thrusting a massive sword downward...

I definitely want to see him with Dead Man's Volley over either Warlock Punch or Wizard Kick, bit his other specials are fine at this point. Make his Ganon FS a proper Giga Bowser-style transformation too, with classic trident and everything.

Ganondorf despite being my most played character in both Smash 4 games is the only pre-Smash 4 clone who's implementation still sort of annoys me.

Dr. Buni

I would rather have Ganon wielding a trident as a newcomer instead of the effort being put into "discloning" Ganondorf. I actually don't mind "Falcondorf" at all. ^^

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would rather have Ganon wielding a trident as a newcomer instead of the effort being put into "discloning" Ganondorf. I actually don't mind "Falcondorf" at all. ^^

Same here.

Here is a moveset for Ganon!

Ganon (King Dedede Clone)

They should replace hammer with the trident and leave the animations alone. Yes, you could bash someone with the spear, instead of stabbing them with it!

Neutral B: Instead of inhale, he could charge up Light Ball in his mouth and spit it out.
Side B: He could summon the bats
Up B: He would simply float upward to the air then come back to the ground with spear, as if he's going to impale someone in Final Fantasy Dragoon-style.
Down B: He would charge up his trident then slam the trident into the ground to cause people to trip.

Dr. Buni

Same here.

Here is a moveset for Ganon!

Ganon (King Dedede Clone)

1. They should replace hammer with the trident and leave the animations alone. Yes, you could bash someone with the spear, instead of stabbing them with it!

2. Side B: He could summon the bats

3. Up B: He would simply float upward to the air then come back to the ground with spear, as if he's going to impale someone in Final Fantasy Dragoon-style.

4. Neutral B: Instead of inhale, he could charge up Light Ball in his mouth and spit it out.

5. Down B: He would charge up his trident then stab someone with it.
Why

That moveset is something I would like to see, plus Zelda getting yet another cloned newcomer would be rather funny.

That reminds me of people wanting Isaac to be a Robin clone (?) on Smashboards.

EulaCapra

I check up on the Gamefaqs Smash message boards periodically just in case some outrageous rumor pops up, but it's literally the worst. The day's top topics usually revolve in misogynistic and sexualized comments of pretty much the entire female roster but especially with Daisy and Lucina.

Dr. Buni

I check up on the Gamefaqs Smash message boards periodically just in case some outrageous rumor pops up, but it's literally the worst. The day's top topics usually revolve in misogynistic and sexualized comments of pretty much the entire female roster but especially with Daisy and Lucina.
If only that was exclusive to Gamefaqs. You could read creepy stuff towards the female cast on SmashGAF as well... though lately it seem to have stopped.

K. Rool is a sexy beast and I would viciously make out with him if I could.

1294424-160px_krool.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
"We'll have to bomb them" said BY2K. He had gotten sick of all the bs that had been affecting the proud country of Americo. He decided to take matters into his own hands and destroy TeamReal and TeamFake. He boarded his private bomber and took the pilot seat. Not appeared next to him in the co-pilots chair.

I just found SmashGAF Fan Fiction again. It was awkward to read some plots there.

That reminds me of people wanting Isaac to be a Robin clone (?) on Smashboards.

Heh.

Edited: Checking though old threads, and I found this quote.

The problem with Lucina is that she'd be a straight-up Marth clone. Chrom would at least be somewhat unique (I see him as a happy medium between Marth & Ike).

^ he's right, but we got Roy as happy medium between Marth and Ike in term of strength.

We try to balance it out with homoerotic ramblings about Wolf, K. Rool and 'Hot Ryu'.

EDIT: Lucina's issue as a clone is more that she's objectively worse than Marth stat-wise. It's sorta dumb a series of Fire Emblem's size has 5 reps, but I definitely remember a ton of support for her inclusion before she was announced and in different circumstances I don't think she'd have had any backlash. Lucina and Chrom getting in as alts for Marth and Ike respectively with their own voice samples would've been nice though. I'd say the same for Roy but despite probably having several posts complaining about his inclusion as DLC at the beginning of the year his Smash 4 incarnation is easily one of my most played characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I actually called it, to an extent. Both Lucina being a Marth clone & us getting our Marth-Ike happy medium (albeit not in the form that I originally anticipated).

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing small projects for fun depend on my free time. I'm going to look through some old locked threads and quote some people's comments here for fun.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing small projects for fun depend on my free time. I'm going to look through some old locked threads and quote some people's comments here for fun.
For every comment of mine like saying I'd only be happy with Bowser Jr. if he somehow came with a Koopaling alt which I said while assuming it'd never happen, I think there's other's like thinking Roy was gone for good and would suck if he got brought back or Capcom getting two reps would be overkill and Ryu was clearly 'off-limits' after Mega Man.

Retrospect makes jackasses of us all.

Zubz

Banned

Oh dear... I still feel bad about calling Sakurai an "asshole" over Ridley being a stage boss. Definitely should've gave myself a minute to calm down and reevaluate that post before I made it. Plus I was Team Fake all the way until we had leaked video footage.

So, yeah! This could be fun, and we can reminisce of the weeks where the biggest things we had going for us were Neiteio and his Boot Lust! There just may be worse that I don't even remember. Heh.

kirby_fox

Banned
I was team fake as well. Swore I had found the reason it was fake, photo shopped it and everything. Considering we had never once seen anything leak from the ESRB though- it sounded like a load of crap. Someone lost their job over that I mean, can't exactly recall that happening before.

I came to the conclusion to trust no one though without video that has sound. Gameplay or bust.

Am I only one who doesn't care about whether or not a character is 100% accurate to their source material? Like...at all?

Ganondorf I can understand considering his bizarre Smash origins, but Ness/Lucas and Wario are so fun to play that I could care less about Sakurai taking liberties with them.

Speaking from experience, GameFAQs is quite possibly the worst place anyone could engage in discussions on video games. The Smash 4/Skyward Sword boards alone were just...Jesus Christ.

Which reminds me! Earlier I remembered I never checked out the Reader Reviews for Smash 4 and wondered if the inevitable low-score reviews were just as laughable as the ones for Brawl. They didn't let me down.

For every comment of mine like saying I'd only be happy with Bowser Jr. if he somehow came with a Koopaling alt which I said while assuming it'd never happen, I think there's other's like thinking Roy was gone for good and would suck if he got brought back or Capcom getting two reps would be overkill and Ryu was clearly 'off-limits' after Mega Man.

Retrospect makes jackasses of us all.

Tell me about it. In hindsight, it's embarassing I was initially on #TeamFake, but I remember being excited I was proven wrong about Robin and Lucina.

I'm also certain I said at some point that bowser jr. will never be playable........................

Azure J

Am I only one who doesn't care about whether or not a character is 100% accurate to their source material? Like...at all?

Ganondorf I can understand considering his bizarre Smash origins, but Ness/Lucas and Wario are so fun to play that I could care less about Sakurai taking liberties with them.

The way I see it, if they're fun to play, they're fun to play. If they aren't fun to play and have a lot of potential that isn't realized fully, then yea it's fun to entertain "what ifs".

Edit: At the same time, if Sakurai ever includes Lyn or Takamaru and they aren't immensely over the top iaido practicioners, I would be crushed. :lol

FWIW, I'm cool with Ganondorf currently, but I definitely feel like just changing three specials (Up Special to some OoT floatjump/TP Teleport, Down Special to an earthquake [could even be a stomp] and Neutral B to a Warlock Punch/Dead Man's Volley hybrid) and giving him back the awesome Melee jab (speed and knockback) would be much more tantalizing that current dorf.

Golnei

It's not always a question of making sure every move can be traced back to an exact source in the character's original game, but just that the character feels like themselves. To use the Ganondorf example again, while most of his moveset feels as if it's more or less within his existing characterisation despite not being drawn directly from the source, the running animation, up tilt and neutral/up/down special are still jarring just from the way they conflict with Ganondorf's persona in general (and the image portrayed by the rest of his moveset), not just his appearances in Zelda games.

The others (also including the mostly original Smash interpretations of Sheik, Captain Falcon, Zelda, Ice Climbers, various space animals, etc.) don't really have any of those problems; due to not sharing Ganondorf's origin as a clone they aren't particularly incongruous despite their interpretive nature. Though I would like it if Sheik were able to use the harp in some form in the next game, even just as a taunt/victory animation/new Final Smash...

Lucina and Chrom getting in as alts for Marth and Ike respectively with their own voice samples would've been nice though.

Even Dunban as a Shulk alt would be more justified than Chrom for Ike.

And while I support Lucina returning as an alt in the next game, if the Melee clones' later status is any indication, they won't ever remove her from the main roster. At least there's some hope for her receiving changes if she comes back - though hopefully it'll be a little more than those Roy got.

Well, like I said, I can understand Ganny. If there's any problems I have with him it's that they made his facial animations too derpy.

They're not as bad as Sonic's but as someone who loves taking screens it's really weird.

Golnei

The expressions themselves are fine - that level of exaggeration is fairly standard for Smash - it's the awful face model that ruins them. The proportions still are a little off even in the 3DS version; but the overall effect isn't nearly as bad as the Wii U one.

If it were using his Hyrule Warriors face model, that :\ would look adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom