• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Simon Fucking Belmont. Because 30 years later he's still an important character that influenced a generation of games and gamers, appeared in a TV show alongside Pit, Mega Man, King Hippo and Mother Brain. His games spanned several Nintendo systems.

And here we are arguing about whether some flash-in-the-pan characters are making it into a league of evergreen personalities like Mario and Pac-Man? Wonder Red? Bayonetta? In thirty years nobody will even know who the hell they are! Even Shadow is a joke (I hope it really was a joke and that nobody voted for him). I get that you're enthusiastic for your underdog IP because it doesn't get the recognition you feel it deserves (Bayo, 101). But let's be real. We've got Pac-Man, Mega Man, Mario, Link, Samus, Pit and on and on. Simon Belmont needs to be a part of those great 80s characters.

Edit: Inspired by the above and I totally forgot to put it in the voting box :(

Forward special: Cross (boomerang)
Down special: Holy Water
Up special: Axe
Standing Special: Dagger

Smash: The Holy fucking Cross that obliterates everything on screen

Where is #teamridley ?

Already working since yesterday. Dont worry, he is going to be one of the top votes, even if Sakurai likes it or not.

I voted for Daisy yesterday... today is his turn

disaster_day_of_crisis.jpg

OMG how could I forget.
Mudafucking Ray. I also need a stage with disasters and his music.
Best way to take Solid Snake's moves and add them to a Nintendo character.

Jawmuncher

I voted for Simon Fucking Belmont. Because 30 years later he's still an important character that influenced a generation of games and gamers, appeared in a TV show alongside Pit, Mega Man, King Hippo and Mother Brain. His games spanned several Nintendo systems.

And here we are arguing about whether some flash-in-the-pan characters are making it into a league of evergreen personalities like Mario and Pac-Man? Wonder Red? Bayonetta? In thirty years nobody will even know who the hell they are! Even Shadow is a joke (I hope it really was a joke and that nobody voted for him). I get that you're enthusiastic for your underdog IP because it doesn't get the recognition you feel it deserves (Bayo, 101). But let's be real. We've got Pac-Man, Mega Man, Mario, Link, Samus, Pit and on and on. Simon Belmont needs to be a part of those great 80s characters.

Snakes coming back though.

Belmont isn't nearly as popular as the other third parties though...

Malvingt2

OMG how could I forget
Mudafucking Ray. I also need a stage with disasters.
Best way to take Solid Snake's moves and add them to a Nintendo character.

Yeah Yeah

this how I voted

Character you're voting for: Raymond Bryce [Ray]
Title of game the character appears in: Disaster: Day of Crisis
Why should this character become a fighter?
A very interesting hero that I would love to see playable on Smash and the perfect replacement of Snake.
Plus an amazing theme; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiMgfz6uJM

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lol @some pople just wasting their votes...

I can't wait for the results of the polls!

It's not like these votes mean much anyway. Drop in the ocean, and we don't even know what criteria they are going to use to filter out votes for "nonviable" characters. Someone like Isaac might have no chance because he's from a dead series, even if he manages to get decent support.

Not to mention the entire idea behind the poll is completely ridiculous. Might as well have fun with it and roll with the crazy. Give whoever reads the submissions a laugh.

Belmont isn't nearly as popular as the other third parties though...

At the time he most certainly was as popular as Mega Man. Way more popular than Samus, Pit and Solid Snake. Castlevania 1 and 2 were both top selling games when they came out. He was as recognizable as Link.

Mega Man has remained a prominent icon even in times where his games weren't coming out.

Simon Belmont isn't nearly as much of an icon, even though his home series still lives on as far I can tell.

At the time he most certainly was as popular as Mega Man. Way more popular than Samus, Pit and Solid Snake. Castlevania 1 and 2 were both top selling games when they came out. He was as recognizable as Link.

The key word is "was."

I want to see Paper Mario, personally.

Something about this "ballot contest" rings false. To think they don't have an exhaustive character list already given their past trophies, stages (which include a Paper Mario stage), and Mii costumes... Like someone would write "Rayman" and they'd say "OMG Rayman, I never thought of that!" when there's a trophy... I don't know. Call me a skeptic, but I think they're just trying to promote goodwill and already have established which DLC characters are in the works. And that's if 99% of the suggestions aren't idiotic licensing nightmares (read: Goku, Batman).

It's to see who's popular and who's not

Yeah, I just don't get the Belmont thing. The connection between Nintendo and that franchise is pretty tertiary at this point. I like Castlevania and all, but I just do not see it as a painfully obvious addition.

Again, not one to shit on the hope of others and if Simon were added I'd be down. But I just can't muster up the same enthusiasm.

georly

If I had to guess, nintendo/sakurai have a few ideas of who to work on next, but they'd like players to kinda decide which of the top 5 or so they have ideas for should be the 'next' one. If polls don't agree with the ones they have, well then, the polls are SOL.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yo Team Wonder Red

How about an "avatar campaign" to show our support for Wonder Red joining Smash Bros.?

Tune your avatar with this Beauty

wondereyes1buyz.png

Who's in?

ps. dunno how to minimize pictures in a post, sry bout that

I'd like to have one please

Malvingt2

Please god. No more anime characters. How can you look at her and think Castlevania? That should be a gaming crime. It absolutely needs to be Simon. At the very worst it could be Trevor. But even that wouldn't be acceptable.

Because her game is a Castlevania game and one of the best in the series? anime character look? so what? she is a very interesting character that I will take her over Simon and Trevor.

Mega Man has remained a prominent icon even in times where his games weren't coming out.

Simon Belmont isn't nearly as much of an icon, even though his home series still lives on as far I can tell.

The key word is "was."

Pac-Man was popular. Pit was never popular. Still isn't outside of the hardcore Nintendo fanbase. The series never took off. Little Mac? Also a niche character. You can argue was all day.

Fucking Duck Hunt dog? This is a losing battle if we're comparing Simon Belmont to all the other has-beens in the game.

And you're forgetting how awesome his moveset will be. Holy cross, axe, holy water, dagger. He's tailor-made for Smash.

Pac-Man was popular. Pit was never popular. Still isn't outside of the hardcore Nintendo fanbase. The series never took off. Little Mac? Also a niche character. You can argue was all day.

Fucking Duck Hunt dog? This is a losing battle if we're comparing Simon Belmont to all the other has-beens in the game.

And you're forgetting how awesome his moveset will be. Holy cross, axe, holy water, dagger. He's tailor-made for Smash.

Okay, well, all the "unpopular has beens" you listed are actual Nintendo characters, sooooooo

Also Duck Hunt was kind of a blockbuster

SmithnCo

I still associate Castlevania with Nintendo, it would certainly be less surprising than Snake was. Though sadly Konami is awful and probably doesn't give two shits about either of them in Smash. They'd rather make slot machines or whatever they do.

Lol @some pople just wasting their votes...

I can't wait for the results of the polls!

What is wasting your vote mean?
If its people voting thrid party, you are right. The only ones I see with a little hope are characters like Simon Belmont or Bomberman. Everything else is too shitty, too difficult or just out right stupid.

People who are not throwing their votes is actually people who are voting for Nintendo minor characters. Characters like wonder red, chibi robo, Ridley, Issac/Hans, Dixie, King K Rool, Daisy...
Those are the ones with more posibilites, even with no top votes (becuase I know stupid shit like Goku, Naruto, Shrek will get there with troll and kids voting). They dont need to go a get rights, or anything like that.

The only thing I really fear happening is something like Shadow because of the small kids voting. Having Sonic makes it easier, hopefully Sakurai has a norm of only 1 character for each third party franchise.

Yeah Yeah

this how I voted

Character you're voting for: Raymond Bryce [Ray]
Title of game the character appears in: Disaster: Day of Crisis
Why should this character become a fighter?
A very interesting hero that I would to see playable on Smash and the perfect replacement of Snake.
Plus an amazing theme; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiMgfz6uJM

You are a good man.

It's not like these votes mean much anyway. Drop in the ocean, and we don't even know what criteria they are going to use to filter out votes for "nonviable" characters. Someone like Isaac might have no chance because he's from a dead series, even if he manages to get decent support.

Not to mention the entire idea behind the poll is completely ridiculous. Might as well have fun with it and roll with the crazy. Give whoever reads the submissions a laugh.
Rather than filtering out non-viable characters, I think they're just going to see the most popular picks. Then they can choose the most appropriate one between those.

While there are many Nintendo characters I'd like to see, I voted for Inkling Girl. I think her paint weaponry and squid transformation could make for some cool move sets.

Because her game is a Castlevania game and one of the best in the series? anime character look? so what? she is a very interesting character that I will take her over Simon and Trevor.

Different strokes. There is absolutely nothing interesting about her to me. She looks ridiculous I'm afraid. It's very strange to think that style telegraphs interesting but to each his own.

I'm almost certain that a majority of the most iconic characters in Smash would never be voted in by the general public if not for the developers. We'd have an entire cast made up of FE characters, Sonic's shitty friends, some buxom long-legged half-naked vixen and 101 tiny fighters. I understand that I'm up against an exceptionally enthusiastic crowd so I think it's best if I don't even bother voting.

Please god. No more anime characters. How can you look at her and think Castlevania? That should be a gaming crime. It absolutely needs to be Simon. At the very worst it could be Trevor. But even that wouldn't be acceptable.
I take it you haven't played her game. The art is very classic Castlevania.

images

Synless

I am pretty excited for Lucas to come back. I can't express how dissapointed I am there have been no new stages announced, or music.

Malvingt2

Different strokes. There is absolutely nothing interesting about her to me. She looks ridiculous I'm afraid. It's very strange to think that style telegraphs interesting but to each his own.

I'm almost certain that a majority of the most iconic characters in Smash would never be voted in by the general public if not for the developers. We'd have an entire cast made up of FE characters, Sonic's shitty friends and 101 tiny fighters. I understand that I'm up against an exceptionally enthusiastic crowd so I think it's best if I don't even bother voting.

Do not get me wrong tho if Simon gets in I would love it. I believe Castlevania deserved a character in it.

Pac-Man was popular.

He is still iconic.

Pit was never popular. Still isn't outside of the hardcore Nintendo fanbase.

A first-party fan favorite would probably get priority.

Little Mac? Also a niche character.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was on fucking I Love the 80s. Glass Joe and King Hippo were still very iconic decades after that game.

Fucking Duck Hunt dog?

An iconic character from one of the biggest-selling games on one of the most iconic video game consoles of all time. And you can't deny the number of "Kill the Duck Hunt Dog" Flash games on the Internet. Simon Belmont wished he had that kind of impact.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Simon is the most iconic Castlevania character, but I don't play the series anyway.

Jawmuncher

Simon or Bomberman before snake. Ain't gonna happen. Konami doesn't need Kojima to use snake. Why would they give themselves more work for a Konami rep when they already have one done.

Edit: crazy stuff has happened though so guess we'll see. Since my guess is on one third party as dlc

Rush_Khan

I for one voted for Sora. I think he has a strong presence on Nintendo consoles with several portable games including the critically acclaimed 358/2 Days. If Sonic the frickin' Hedgehog can get in, I don't see why Sora can't get in.
;_;

As was Castlevania? And Castlevania 2? So what. And Duck Hunt was packed in withe very Nintendo system.

Sure, okay. My previous point still stands that Belmont's popularity compared to Pit or something means nothing

And it doesn't matter if the game was packed in or not, it was ubiquitous

I'm not saying Castlevania was unpopular, I'm saying comparing the popularity of its characters to Nintendo franchises' for the purpose of who deserves in is apples to oranges

No Skull Kid in Hyrule Warriors leaves me with no hope for him. Even with a Majora's Mask 3D, he was snuffed. Hard to believe. He'd have such a badass moveset, what with all those tentacles and dark energy.

Gave my vote to Snake. I know, you're surprised. Trap master extraordinaire.

Davey Cakes

For a minute I thought Mike Jones would be a PERFECT choice.

Then I remembered, that type of character is basically covered by Ness and Lucas.

SmithnCo

Overall, Dracula is probably the most well known and representative Castlevania character. But he's not an original creation obviously.

I could says same thing for Wonder Red. I'm concerned that 3DS limitation might hurt moveset potential for Wonder Red. I want the full potential and creativity moveset for Wonder Red to reflect on Wonderful 101's uniqueness and quirky.

Which I agree with, but at least he's an understandable suggestion. Shadow is a suggestion straight from the bowels of Miiverse.

So where are my #TeamTakamaru people at? Even if he isn't your first choice, I know you all can give this handsome fellow:

A shot at a new lease on life. I need some of that Kenshin Himura/Sword of the Stranger action and my dude promises that AND the funkiest assortment of projectile weaponry and passive buffs ever.

Let's get this man some support. :)

I want him too, man, but he's an already an AT. Granted, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I think he's out this round.

Rest assured, you have my sword for next game.

Which I agree with, but at least he's an understandable suggestion. Shadow is a suggestion straight from the bowels of Miiverse.

I want him too, man, but he's an already an AT. Granted, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I think he's out this round.

Rest assured, you have my sword for next game.

I'm not too sure they won't patch out ATs who they want to make full characters. I casted a vote for Dillon (among others), so I hope they do at least consider current ATs. Dark Samus, Takamaru, Dillon, there are just too many good candidates among them.

Ban Puncher

Simon and his leather skirt can stay home.

Richter or bust.

Sell me on K. Rool. What does he offer to the table that the other character's don't? In DKC, his final boss battle involves him throwing a crown at you. HE THROWS. HIS CROWN. Don't even get me started on his entire plan to defeat Donkey Kong. He steals his bananas. He doesn't burn down the Kongo Jungle, or kidnap DK's family. No, his plan involves weakening Donkey Kong via a potassium deficiency.

Is this a late April Fools joke? Because he literally does both of these things. In Donkey Kong Country 2, DK is kidnapped. In Donkey Kong Country 3, DK and Diddy are kidnapped. And in Donkey Kong 64, he tries to nuke their island with a giant laser. Saying "all he can do is throw is crown" is not only wrong, but ignores what are arguably the greatest games in the DK franchise. K. Rool would be a heavyweight fighter who relies on projectiles and deceptive, dirty tactics rather than brute force. The game is in dire need of more villains, and K. Rool fits the bill quite nicely. Plus, I'm sure we'd all agree that the DK series was woefully underrepresented in the initial release. I'd like to see Dixie as well, but K. Rool is a far more interesting character with potential for uniqueness. I love the old bumbler.

For detailed moveset possibilities, I highly recommend taking a look at this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/k-ro...-krocthevote-time-for-our-finest-hour.324259/

In the meantime, please enjoy these pretty pictures.

Owari

If there's a Square rep, it's going to be Cloud, not Sora. Also, has anyone voted for Mickey Mouse? I think he would be a great addition to the roster.

SmithnCo

I'm not too sure they won't patch out ATs who they want to make full characters. I casted a vote for Dillon (among others), so I hope they do at least consider current ATs. Dark Samus, Takamaru, Dillon, there are just too many good candidates among them.

In my mind, ATs are actually decent candidates because they already have lower-poly models, textures, skeletons, and a few animations to work off of. Just up the poly count and texture detail and they have a solid base. Of course most of the work is moves and balance but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom