• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n8x7seePXd1sorarco1_r5_500.gif

I want to vote for the croc but....

King-K.-Rool.jpg

I don't really like his re-design....

latest

Or his manual appearance...

But if they go the Mega Man route and base his appearance from in-game then... it would be pretty awesome.
Do it. You know you want to.

VticiM0.png

Lunar15

I voted for Impa and am going to leave it at that because I expect with all the ballot-stuffing and joke votes, they're just going to throw the whole thing out.

Yeah, there's really nothing stopping you from voting as much as you'd like, nor are you tied to rational ideas and Nintendo franchises.

Also, what's up with the gender question? Why is that essential information for a character voting ballot?

Like I said before, although it's dead competitively, the 3DS version sold double that of the Wii U version. The Ice Climbers aren't coming back in this game. They aren't gonna screw over the majority just to appease the minority.

I'm not sure how many times you need to be told this to understand it, but here goes:

Adding Ice Climbers to only the Wii U version DOES NOT "screw over" the 3DS players.

3DS players, short of a technical miracle, will NEVER EVER get to play Ice Climbers on the 3DS version. Ever. So they're being screwed out of exactly nothing. It's not like the ICs would be added to only one version just to fucking spite the other.

So no, it would not hurt anyone. If you seriously think otherwise, then I have no clue how to convince you of how insane that is. If anyone is getting screwed over, it's Wii U players and Ice Climbers fans.

Stop. Please stop shitting on people when they talk about Ice Climbers. It looks unbelievably foolish because the reasons you think are keeping them out are not really real. I assure you that the great 3DS uprising you are imagining if the Wii U gets ICs but they don't is not a thing.

I voted for Simon Fucking Belmont. Because 30 years later he's still an important character that influenced a generation of games and gamers, appeared in a TV show alongside Pit, Mega Man, King Hippo and Mother Brain. His games spanned several Nintendo systems.

And here we are arguing about whether some flash-in-the-pan characters are making it into a league of evergreen personalities like Mario and Pac-Man? Wonder Red? Bayonetta? In thirty years nobody will even know who the hell they are! Even Shadow is a joke (I hope it really was a joke and that nobody voted for him). I get that you're enthusiastic for your underdog IP because it doesn't get the recognition you feel it deserves (Bayo, 101). But let's be real. We've got Pac-Man, Mega Man, Mario, Link, Samus, Pit and on and on. Simon Belmont needs to be a part of those great 80s characters.

Edit: Inspired by the above and I totally forgot to put it in the voting box :(

Forward special: Cross (boomerang)
Down special: Holy Water
Up special: Axe
Standing Special: Dagger

Smash: The Holy fucking Cross that obliterates everything on screen

I would be really happy with Simon as a character (within my top five choices for sure), but being a Konami property and considering how deep up their asses they seem to have their heads lately, he seems much more unlikely than Wonder Red or Bayonetta.

Also, that comment about nobody knowing who they are in 30 years is wrong on many levels. For one, there's no evidence that Simon will be better known by then, but more importantly, Smash 4 is a game about what is well known right now, and Bayonetta sure trumps Simon, like it or not. You can worry about what's well known in 2045 when Smash 10 begins development. :)

Voted for SMT and MonHun characters. Both are big brands on Nintendo consoles as of late, and the former has a new game coming out with FE. Nintendo pls

Simon would make the most sense of the Castlevania characters. He was the protagonist of the first two of the NES Castlevania's and the first SNES one. As we've seen with Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Little Mac and ROB, Famicom/NES nostalgia is big with this series and Simon would fit right in with that.

And in terms of wishful thinking, I'd love to see Popeye. His arcade game was a bonafide Nintendo/Miyamoto creation, and would fit in with the history in Smash very well.

1349834-popeye_controls.jpg

1. He's a goddamn pirate.
2. His blunderbuss can shoot cannonballs, spiky balls, and jelly that slows you down.
3. It can also hoover you up and shoot you out!
4. And it can be used as a jetpack!
5. DKC2 is the best DKC.
6. His theme song is awesome.
7. Gangplank Galleon would make a perfect Smash stage.
8. He actually has a ton of personality.
9. Smash needs more DK characters.
10. Smash needs more villains.
11. Smash needs pirates. ARRRR!
1. So is Captain Syrup
8. So does Captain Syrup
10. Captain Syrup is a villain
11. Captain Syrup is a pirate

So that's only 4 of your points that also apply to Captain Syrup, but I'd say that's still a significant amount!

I'm not sure how many times you need to be told this to understand it, but here goes:

Adding Ice Climbers to only the Wii U version DOES NOT "screw over" the 3DS players.

3DS players, short of a technical miracle, will NEVER EVER get to play Ice Climbers on the 3DS version. Ever. So they're being screwed out of exactly nothing. It's not like the ICs would be added to only one version just to fucking spite the other.

So no, it would not hurt anyone. If you seriously think otherwise, then I have no clue how to convince you of how insane that is. If anyone is getting screwed over, it's Wii U players and Ice Climbers fans.

Stop. Please stop shitting on people when they talk about Ice Climbers. It looks unbelievably foolish because the reasons you think are keeping them out are not really real. I assure you that the great 3DS uprising you are imagining if the Wii U gets ICs but they don't is not a thing.

It's wasting development resources on something not everyone can get

It's wasting development resources on something not everyone can get

While this is a more valid reason than "would screw over 3DS players," it's still important to remember that Sakurai has said in words from his mouth that they had Ice Climbers working on Wii U. If that is true, which I assume it is, it takes little resources then to get them to full fledged character.

trixx

Definitely would be in favour of bringing Ice climbers back. But more people bought the 3ds version of the game and I don't think they would compromise extra development time just for the wii u version. Ice Climber(popo or nana) would be a fair addition.

Yeah, there's really nothing stopping you from voting as much as you'd like, nor are you tied to rational ideas and Nintendo franchises.

Also, what's up with the gender question? Why is that essential information for a character voting ballot?

I imagine so they can get marketing information from it and figure out what genders like what characters the most. Likely not tied to this specific poll.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Keeping those expectations in check as usual I see. But Smashgaf is made out of hype.

We will get you eventually.

Well it already got me many times when they announced characters I wanted or I am interested in. Basically almost all characters.

Duck Hunt won tho. Lucas announcement is the most hype because it's telling us that we are getting more DLC characters.

I'm happy that we are back together. SmashGAF 4 Life.

That's why I was unsure of voting for him. I want a W101 rep as well, but Wonder Red alone would basically be the equivalent of Viewtiful Joe without any VFX powers. Him working alongside the other Wonderful Ones would make a more interesting characters, and could allow style changes to switch to Wonder Blue or Wonder Green. Unless other Wonderful Ones are similar to Olimar's Pikmin or Rosalina's Luma, I'm afraid that the team would just run into another Ice Climbers situation for the 3DS.

Exactly. I'm glad that I'm not only person felt same thing.

I'm not too sure they won't patch out ATs who they want to make full characters. I casted a vote for Dillon (among others), so I hope they do at least consider current ATs. Dark Samus, Takamaru, Dillon, there are just too many good candidates among them.

Oh damn. I forget all about Dillon.

Neoxon

While this is a more valid reason than "would screw over 3DS players," it's still important to remember that Sakurai has said in words from his mouth that they had Ice Climbers working on Wii U. If that is true, which I assume it is, it takes little resources then to get them to full fledged character.
Same logic could apply to the Chorus Kids to a degree (who we don't know if they had 3DS issues or not, so everything about them is just speculation).

i dont want any dlc in my nintendo games :(

Well then you're in an odd thread about possible future DLC when two DLC characters have already been announced, one comes out this month, and Nintendo's been doing DLC for about two years now.

If you've come from three years in the past to our present, but your future, let me suggest you 1) don't buy Assassin's Creed Unity and 2) do buy Villager and Wii Fit Trainer amiibos to sell on ebay. Trust me.

Same logic could apply to the Chorus Kids to a degree (who we don't know if they had 3DS issues or not, so everything about them is just speculation).

Yeah, I'm very hopeful for them as DLC. I actually voted for them, cause Rhythm Heaven is rad and needs a character so bad*.

*rhyme unintentional

That reminds me, aren't characters who are already Assist Trophies off-limits?

I don't think I ever heard that but I could be wrong. I could easily see them choosing an AT for DLC. Especially when the ATs are generally good playable character material.

Dark Samus would be cool, as would some others.

3DS version is the best selling one.

If anything, "screw the Wii U version" is probably a more enticing argument.

I've seen the argument thrown around that Ice Climbers Wii U exclusive DLC would entice some players who don't already own that version to buy it, which I'm not sure I really get. Though, on this forum we have people who buy (or dont buy) Smash games for single characters, so maybe.

Still seems like a stretch to me.

Don't worry, I also put in a vote for the Chorus Kids.

Together now

Guys, the Facebook message for the Smash voting thing says to vote for whichever Nintendo character you want most, I don't know if third party requests will be considered. :( Can't find the message now, but maybe we should adjust expectations.

Thinking about how Smash 4 might contain nearly every character ever in Smash is... pretty exciting.

Wow... the thought of everyone potentially being back. That would just be insane. The expectations for Smash 5 returning everyone would be outrageous. How is that even going to work?

I mean, it doesn't seem like anyone is off the table at this point. I would have lumped Lucas with Roy as "not important enough to bother" and yet Lucas is almost here. With the miracle Nintendo pulled with DK64, I don't even know if Snake is out of this.

Will we look back in 2 years and have a game where only Ivysaur, Ice Climbers and Snake are cut? I mean, I don't even think that's too outside what they could do (especially since Pichu and Roy could just be Doc style clones and be super easy DLC)

E3 will be kind of exciting. I 100% expect Wolf to be there. Maybe even a new clone? Roy returns? Snake?

I've seen the argument thrown around that Ice Climbers Wii U exclusive DLC would entice some players who don't already own that version to buy it, which I'm not sure I really get. Though, on this forum we have people who buy (or dont buy) Smash games for single characters, so maybe.

Still seems like a stretch to me.
Nobody who owns a Wii U would probably solely buy Smash for 3DS and not Wii U.

Nobody would be enticed by Ice Climbers to buy a Wii U.

The gap between people who own a Wii U versus who own a 3DS is something like 25 million. That's just the gap.

Soul Lab

I could says same thing for Wonder Red. I'm concerned that 3DS limitation might hurt moveset potential for Wonder Red. I want the full potential and creativity moveset for Wonder Red to reflect on Wonderful 101's uniqueness and quirky.

I see where you coming from. But Sakurai will deliver, no problem! :) And I have the feeling when Wonder Red doesn't make it into this iteration, he will never join Smash :(

Thinking about how Smash 4 might contain nearly every character ever in Smash is... pretty exciting.

Wow... the thought of everyone potentially being back. That would just be insane. The expectations for Smash 5 returning everyone would be outrageous. How is that even going to work?

Considering every fighter was made from scratch, Smash 4's roster is really a huge achievement. Just look at those animations. oh boy.
For future Smashes I think they can build up from this.

Nobody who owns a Wii U would probably solely buy Smash for 3DS and not Wii U.

Nobody would be enticed by Ice Climbers to buy a Wii U.

The gap between people who own a Wii U versus who own a 3DS is something like 25 million. That's just the gap.

Yeah, I'm also interested in seeing how each version does with DLC sales. I know I'll probably be spending the extra dollar to get the stuff I buy on both versions.

Neiteio

Hey Shocking_Alberto, are you voting in this thing? I don't know if this process actually makes any difference, but I'm curious who'd have your vote.

I want Wolf back, but part of me feels like that's already going to happen (perhaps shown alongside Star Fox WiiU at E3). I also want Ice Climbers and Snake back, but feel there are other complications that make them not possible.

As far as straight-up newcomers... Not sure.

Fandangox

Hey Shocking_Alberto, are you voting in this thing? I don't know if this process actually makes any difference, but I'm curious who'd have your vote.

I want Wolf back, but part of me feels like that's already going to happen (perhaps shown alongside Star Fox WiiU at E3). I also want Ice Climbers and Snake back, but feel there are other complications that make them not possible.

As far as straight-up newcomers... Not sure.

Alberto voted for Impa.

Azure J

I mean, it doesn't seem like anyone is off the table at this point. I would have lumped Lucas with Roy as "not important enough to bother" and yet Lucas is almost here. With the miracle Nintendo pulled with DK64, I don't even know if Snake is out of this.

Will we look back in 2 years and have a game where only Ivysaur, Ice Climbers and Snake are cut? I mean, I don't even think that's too outside what they could do (especially since Pichu and Roy could just be Doc style clones and be super easy DLC)

E3 will be kind of exciting. I 100% expect Wolf to be there. Maybe even a new clone? Roy returns? Snake?

This is probably so far from the truth but I've been entertaining a strange thought for a while that seems to be getting a bit more traction after this direct.

I imagine that a hidden positive to doing all this work is that whatever engine and assets they're using for this Smash are far more modular and modern than the ones they've had to use previously for Melee/Brawl and as such, creating more characters, assist trophies, and stages now might mean a comparatively smaller workload for any future titles. It also seems like they're ready to embrace the idea of Smash as its own dedicated "service" or "shop" where buying the game gets you the base but getting extra "hats" (re: characters) over time base on current Nintendo's properties is the endgame.

Hey, Impa would be interesting (especially if they incorporated the god-like Naginata from Hyrule Warriors), but be careful what you wish for -- they might give us the ALBW Impa instead of SS or HW.

That's why you play it safe and specify titles. I said Skyward Sword Impa but in the little blurb I mentioned that taking references from HW Impa would be swell. :p

Neiteio

I haven't voted yet, so I don't see an option to see results. Is there any point at which you can see the results so far? I imagine not, since two people might vote for the same character but spell/word it differently.

6b07b18e0eacdc522844b6a37419ccdd.png

From Super Star Saga.
Square owns him, but that doesn't make him a Square character. He's only ever appeared in Mario. Those Mario games are the ones he would represent if he was included.

Oh he was bullshitting. I need to stop believing the first thing I see written on the net by a random dude.
Dude that's not what I meant. I meant that he doesn't represent Square or any of its franchises, not that Square doesn't own him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom