• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd sooner wax nostalgic about the old Next Smash Bros Speculation Threads as opposed to the post SSB4 reveal/Pic of the Day threads.
Now those were the good times, it was still crazy and speculative without falling completely to pieces because a pic of the day decided to be 10 minutes late to reveal itself.

Those days were great! It was just small group of us discussing about almost everything.

Ahnez

When things super got of hand, remember?

There was a moment where the Smash threads were going to be shut down for good due to how wild they tended to get.

Those days were great! Our POTD threads only got locked once which is good thing, and yes moderators kept threading us once in awhile if we break the rules then we would get banned.

Its hard to believe those threads survived until the release lol

So many things happened during those times you could write a story around it

Oh wait

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Before I get back to next session. I felt so stupid when I saw some of my posts about system exclusive characters. I facepalmed pretty hard at myself.

Back to the Future Session #2

praying-dog10.jpg

You should have pray even more harder for Snake. :|

I wouldnt worry about PT. I'd worry about the three starters. They may decide to promote X/Y through PT.

That's right. We don't have to worry about Pokemon Trainer because he's not longer with us anymore.

Also ...

I was the only person kinda expecting Ryu's reveal at that time ?

68dzPOm.png

Congrats. You called it. It took nearly two years for it to happens. :p

I'm glad GAF was down most of today because I probably would've gotten banned for repeatedly posting "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and nothing else

:lol

I wonder if alternate costumes will finally come into play. I want to play as Dr. Mario in HD darn it. :(

Dammit. You almost got it right but they decided to convert alternate costume into the clones.

The boxing arena is covered in generic Smash Bros. logos rather than Punch-Out!! imagery, and Villager has a boxing glove move. I think those are two pretty significant blows against Little Mac, unfortunately.

Oh really? Little Mac survived the blows and outcome all odds.

Here's a bold claim, and if I'm wrong you can make fun of me: none of the Brawl Assist Trophies will be made into playable characters.

Yikes, I guess people have to get their rotten tomatoes ready for this guy!

So there's no way Wonder Red isn't a playable character, right? It just seems obvious.

*patting on his back* It didn't happens.

Welp, I'm starting to have a bad feeling about Takamaru. :\

Look like I should have listen to my gut in first place.

They could always go with Default Robin. After seeing Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, anything's possible.

^ just damn!

From the Pokemon Roundtable

https://twitter.com/RichIGN

I guess Sakurai decided to bring Mewtwo back after all!

No way that they would get rid of Mr. Game and Watch.

Time for me to trying to raise awareness of laughing dog at miiverse if I can.

^ It was quite hard to believe that I managed to get my dream characters.

I'm expecting early 2015.

I'm grateful that we didn't have to wait until early 2015 for the games!

I predicted it awhile ago because 2014 will be SSB's 15 years birthday and Nintendo's 125 years old birthday.

Also Don't forget the chance of delaying.

I was very close!!! VERY CLOSE!!!

Source gaming rub salt in the wound

Well not really.

Also, I knew the others, but this is the first I've heard of Urban Champion. Which is kind of funny, since Nintendo for some unknown reason, pushes Urban Champion really hard. Well, as hard as a bad game from the NES can be pushed.

Also
With the Ice Climbers, their mid-air horizontal movement is slow, which is a fatal flaw of theirs that’s been faithfully translated from their own game to Smash.
lol. They should have went all the way with this and replicated Ice Climber's hilariously poor jumping physics.

PK Gaming

Hah
If you fight the Ice Climbers, you’ll find them annoying. Having both of them at the same time will be powerful beyond imagination, but they don’t seem very powerful to the player controlling them, and it seems possible that the player will find themselves winning without really realizing it.

He sure got that right.

We had a pretty violent fight over whether Lucina was a real character or just an alt skin in that thread as well. That was pretty memorable, especially interesting looking back now knowing that she originally started as an alt.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We had a pretty violent fight over whether Lucina was a real character or just an alt skin in that thread as well. That was pretty memorable, especially interesting looking back now knowing that she originally started as an alt.

That was great. I still remember some of people's posts, and someone got banned because of it.

Azure J

I felt pretty stupid in the thread wondering about the alt thing myself especially after all that build-up complete with a character cue card. There was good reason to wonder though given how alts up until that point were being handled.

That and we were still seeing "replace Marth with Lucina" as a serious thing in facets of the net as well. =/

wait, mod threats? lol

High School AU fan fiction about SmashGAF, spamming of reaction posts that pushed the threads to 20k posts within days, weekend SmashGAF, the utter insanity everytime Sakurai pulled a fast one like Rayman, boots, #teamfake & #teamreal, disappointment, dreams coming true. And best/worst of all it was all on Gaming Side not Community. I believe the Smash OT threads were one of the reasons why mods don't allow OT about games far away from their release date anymore.

I felt pretty stupid in the thread wondering about the alt thing myself especially after all that build-up complete with a character cue card. There was good reason to wonder though given how alts up until that point were being handled.

That and we were still seeing "replace Marth with Lucina" as a serious thing in facets of the net as well. =/

I used to hate that she was her own character. But then Dark Pit was leaked and my reaction to Lucina became whatever.

Neoxon

High School AU fan fiction about SmashGAF, spamming of reaction posts that pushed the threads to 20k posts withing days, weekend SmashGAF, the utter insanity everytime Sakurai pulled a fast one like Rayman, boots, #teamfake & #teamreal, disappointment, dreams coming true. And best of all it was all on Gaming and not Community. I believe the Smash OT threads were one of the reasons why mods don't allow OT about games far away from their release date anymore.
We even burned through an entire thread within hours.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
High School AU fan fiction about SmashGAF, spamming of reaction posts that pushed the threads to 20k posts within days, weekend SmashGAF, the utter insanity everytime Sakurai pulled a fast one like Rayman, boots, #teamfake & #teamreal, disappointment, dreams coming true. And best/worst of all it was all on Gaming Side not Community. I believe the Smash OT threads were one of the reasons why mods don't allow OT about games far away from their release date anymore.

Actually, the moderators cited other games' official threads as their reasons to explain why they decided to set up a new rule. I believe it was Destiny's Official Thread that finally make them to push new policy because it already hit OT2 before the game came out.

Edited: Smash 3DS OT were put up like 3 days before it's release date, since I double checked on that. Smash Wii U OT was released a day before the release date.

I'm glad that they changed the policy because it really gave us 6 more days to work on materials!

Drago

My favorite POTD memory has to be the night before Yoshi's New Island was coming out, and a bunch of people were speculating that Yoshi might finally be revealed, even though character reveals had only corresponded to Japanese release dates and not western ones. Then of course, the picture was delayed by hours. Everyone did the logical thing and went fucking insane as we waited for this damn pic, and after all the craziness and waiting, all we got was the Tomodachi Life stage. No Yoshi.

Pretty sure that was the one night we got temporarily locked. lol

Zubz

Banned
Actually, the moderators cited other games' OTs as their reasons as why they decided to set up a new rule but I forget what which games it were. Smash 3DS OT and Smash Wii U OT was released a day before the release date. If I recalled correctly.

Yeah. Our threads were about the "(Week)Nightly for roughly 2 years" PotD's, so we had an excuse to have 18 threads, averaging at about 199-201 pages, a year and a half before release!

EDIT: So... We hit roughly 360,000 posts

My favorite POTD memory has to be the night before Yoshi's New Island was coming out, and a bunch of people were speculating that Yoshi might finally be revealed, even though character reveals had only corresponded to Japanese release dates and not western ones. Then of course, the picture was delayed by hours. Everyone did the logical thing and went fucking insane as we waited for this damn pic, and after all the craziness and waiting, all we got was the Tomodachi Life stage. No Yoshi.

Maybe? I could've swore it was when we started talking about which Smash Bros. characters we wanted to replace our families, though. Wasn't that the night the PotD was delayed by several hours and we just got a picture of a Mii wearing a Meta Knight mask? And thus people assumed he was cut?

Yeah. Our threads were about the "(Week)Nightly for roughly 2 years" PotD's, so we had an excuse to have 18 threads, averaging at about 199-201 pages, a year and a half before release!

Aww yeah. Loophole.

Ha. The thread was locked until the next PotD so that mods could contain the crazy.

Azure J

Murasame Monday & the Week of SmashGAF Clarity was the best arc of the PoTD threads.

J@hranimo

Banned

Ahh....that wait was madness I swear! I had work that morning too, wtf lmao. That thread sped through so quickly though. Good times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When things super got of hand, remember?

There was a moment where the Smash threads were going to be shut down for good due to how wild they tended to get.

I always thought they got locked but no actual mod threat.

Do you remember the insanity after Robin and Lucina were revealed and every other post seemed to be Neiteio posting about Lucina's boots?

I used to hate that she was her own character. But then Dark Pit was leaked and my reaction to Lucina became whatever.

Ahh those I remembered, but didn't know mods made a response out of those lol

I remember a Friday pic where the pic was so delayed that the thread devolved into ASL that someone had to lock it. The pic was a snippet from Sound Test. lol

Murasame Monday & the Week of SmashGAF Clarity was the best arc of the PoTD threads.

Ahh right, and everyone was s o sure he was coming in, complete with prayers and such, then bam! Assist Trophy!

And there were like, prophets or something. Like some people were discussing something prior to the pic release, then suddenly the pic is about that discussion or something relevant to that.. usually about that character being BTFO'd into a trophy or assist.

Also I distinctly remember Wonder Red being announced as a trophy when I was in a supermarket lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I will never forget this thread only lasted for two days.

EDIT: So... We hit roughly 360,000 posts. My favorites are still when EmCee came in to comment on how weird some of us got (Including the day we burned through an OT in hours despite no new news that day).

I remembered there is a night where people went crazy and posted several weird discussion like Fire Emblem (Beep) Relationship, etc which got this thread locked, right?

Yep, Picture of the Day is the reason why our threads wouldn't able to get locked or moved to the community because we could get new information everyday. I guess moderators would rather to deal with mega thread than multiple smash threads.

I found the post! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122490502&postcount=20003

Murasame Monday and Paper Mario Tuesday were insane! Some people actually believe that Sakurai were reading our posts. HAHA. I will never forget forkball's meltdown regard with Takamaru being AT.

Azure J

Murasame Monday and Paper Mario Tuesday were insane! Some people actually believe that Sakurai were reading our posts. HAHA. I will never forget forkball's meltdown regard with Takamaru being AT.

I will never be able to fully convey how totally amused and sad I was that evening. Remember that this came after that weird SDCC bit about Murasame Castle coming to the US for the first time ever. The Forkball "Get Hype" post + the timing of the actual PoTD + the quality of his render being suspect (remember when I thought it was someone messing with making a Takamaru model?) + the thread I made = amazing times.

J@hranimo

Banned
My god, I'm on like...page 20 of POTD Thread XVI.

Re-reading that thread gets me excited in nostalgic ways. This is a good trip down memory lane :)

Also a reminder as to how much I didn't post back then lol.

edit: Wait, Horizon banned? Sheesh. I knew that Miku obsession was gonna get to him eventually :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
When I checked out several old threads and I noticed that there are many fallen smashgaffers.

I will never be able to fully convey how totally amused and sad I was that evening. Remember that this came after that weird SDCC bit about Murasame Castle coming to the US for the first time ever. The Forkball "Get Hype" post + the timing of the actual PoTD + the quality of his render being suspect (remember when I thought it was someone messing with making a Takamaru model?) + the thread I made = amazing times.

Yes, it was amazing times for all of us.

I think my most poignant SmashGAF memory is probably the meltdowns after the Robin reveal.

Just how a bunch of people were insisting that Gematsu had spoiled all the newcomers for us then that trailer went and shit all over that.

So glorious.

Zubz

Banned
Holy shit horizon is banned

I am gonna guess it's due to something Miku related.

So is Neiteio... And Afoni, but that was inevitable. My posts were also brasher. I guess I was still finding a groove with my posts. Or I was overwhelmed by Smash hype. Either or. See you at the crossroads, Smashers.

Also, side note? Apparently, Famitsu's Mascot may or may not have a Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker. It might just be a doctored screenshot, because they like to stick that guy into various games, but it could also mean we'll be seeing post-launch costumes, assuming it's actually in the game proper. So if we didn't already expect it, we will probably see Roy and Ryu, as well as future Smash DLC characters, in Mario Maker down the road! As well as Shovel Knight, with or without him being in Smash.

The top SmashGAF moments are, in order:

3. Cake analogy
2. Takamaru/Paper Mario prophecy
1. Discovery of SmashGAF fanfiction
0. 3DS version comes out in Japan.

Holy shit horizon is banned

I am gonna guess it's due to something Miku related.

It was him commenting on a banned game I think? The whole thread was a graveyard, but regardless it was only a month long ban. No idea about what happened to Neiteio, though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The top SmashGAF moments are, in order:

3. Cake analogy
2. Takamaru/Paper Mario prophecy
1. Discovery of SmashGAF fanfiction
0. 3DS version comes out in Japan.

It was him commenting on a banned game I think? The whole thread was a graveyard, but regardless it was only a month long ban. No idea about what happened to Neiteio, though.

Neiteio posted a spoiler in review thread, I think.

I think I should do top SmashGAF moments too.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think my most poignant SmashGAF memory is probably the meltdowns after the Robin reveal.

Just how a bunch of people were insisting that Gematsu had spoiled all the newcomers for us then that trailer went and shit all over that.

So glorious.

I recall that day. My hype was completely gone, the thread for Smash was more or less dead. We had gotten everything we were going to get, and it was just a matter of time for the reveal.

I had to be at work the morning of the reveal, checking out a new location. My boss just wanted me to go there so he didn't have to be alone with a woman he didn't like, so I was able to try to watch it on my phone. I had to stand in one spot of this warehouse because it was the only place I got any signal from, preparing to watch the inevitable Chrom reveal...only to see it's not Chrom. What?!? Wait, Lucina is a character? Or a costume? Robin is in, and...is Chrom in too?

That whole trailer was confusing.

The best part about the Takamaru/Paper Mario prophecy was how after the latter happened, everyone went into a mad scramble for a subject to discuss. You had K. Rool, Snake, Ridley....naturally, no one could agree on what to talk about, so it was just pure chaos up to the moment of POTD.

And it turned out to be what absolutely no one rallied for: the Boss Galaga item.

Also, I'm reading through the JP release reaction thread now and I forgot how the streamer kept looking up the skirts, LOL.

3. Cake analogy
I vaguely remember this being some sort of poorly through through FUCK BRAWL/SAKURAI comment but I don't really remember much else about what this was?

Also if Horizon was a junior does that mean he's perma'd? I saw the comment and while flippant still seems dumb.

Also, I'm reading through the JP release reaction thread now and I forgot how the streamer kept looking up the skirts, LOL.
Probably why every girl with a dress in Smash 4 has a giant void of nothingness underneath them. Didn't a NoA employee go on GAF way back during the Brawl days to ask people to stop submitting upskirt photos?
All while the Japanese Dojo had a tentacle rape joke with G&W.

I vaguely remember this being some sort of poorly through through FUCK BRAWL/SAKURAI comment but I don't really remember much else about what this was?

Also if Horizon was a junior does that mean he's perma'd? I saw the comment and while flippant still seems dumb.

Guys, I just thought of something. I call it the cake analogy.

Smash 64 was like a muffin. It was made from flour, sugar, eggs, milk, all the usual stuff. And it was delicious.

Melee was a cake. A complicated and exquisite one at that. It had flour, sugar, eggs, milk and chocolate, as well icing made from butter, icing sugar and vanilla, and there were even strawberries and sprinkles on top. It was fucking delicious.

For Brawl, they decided that there'd be a change in recipe. They used twice as many eggs, half as much sugar, no oil, less flour, water in the icing, and although there were more sprinkles, the strawberries were gone. Also there were bits of hair in it. It wasn't dirt and worms or anything, but they messed with a perfect formula. Everyone loved the last cake, so why did they choose to go in such a radical different direction?

For Smash 4, the chef promises that he's going to do better. There's no hair in it this time, the icing was fixed, and there aren't as many eggs. But everything else is still the same as it was before. It's better, sort of, but you have to wonder why they only want to half fix it rather than completely.

Lulzworthy chaos ensues. Be sure to read beyond its page of origin.

And nope, like I said it was a month-long ban.

Probably why every girl with a dress in Smash 4 has a giant void of nothingness underneath them. Didn't a NoA employee go on GAF way back during the Brawl days to ask people to stop submitting upskirt photos?
All while the Japanese Dojo had a tentacle rape joke with G&W.

That was Nate Bihldorff, and I think that was actually about lewd stage submissions?

Azure J

“enjoy my good friend shulk!"

And then Chrom confirmed as Final Smash after he & Lucina tried and failed to 2v1 Captain Falcon.

Such a great bait and switch. It was really getting monotonous having someone leak that much about the game before any real suspense could develop.

At least it (possibly, but still probably given just how much of everything else they got right) gave us a clue into who was planned but cut with Chrom and Chorus Kids.

Zubz

Banned
Wait is Neiteio perm'd?

D:

Wait, how do you know if someone's Perm'd?

Why did he get banned? D:

He posted spoilers in a spoiler-free MGSV thread, apparently.

All this nostalgia has me thinking about Takamaru again. Maybe they'd be willing to add him in, despite the Assist Trophy, and they'll just replace it with... Well, I don't know who would be animated in the same way/have a comparable arsenal. But at the very least, I'm hoping this Ballot's letting them know that there's some demand for Takamaru to get into Smash, even in America!

Azure J

Takamaru is in such a weird position. He was cited as having no real western exposure but has been on Sakurai's mind for inclusion since pre-Melee. He gets in as an Assist Trophy which has some people thinking he's a sure thing for a theoretical "Smash 5", at the same time he (and a bunch of other big(ger) wants) loses out on votes to show support when Sakurai actually decides to poll the collective universe on who they want in because of that AT status.

I also imagine that the barrier for entry could be much lower for him though, just a good number of people talking about him in the west could tip the scales, but since we don't know anything about how these things work internally ehhh...

Azure J

Yeah, I definitely put in a vote for Takamaru here too. Just want someone to see that he has fans on the other side of the ocean. Smash will not be complete without an iaido fighter.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
“enjoy my good friend shulk!"

And then Chrom confirmed as Final Smash after he & Lucina tried and failed to 2v1 Captain Falcon.
That's my favourite reveal. For ages I had been saying that just because a source got one leak right (the original pre E3 post can't be disputed) doesn't mean everything they say will be gospel. Total egg on his face.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Smash augmented reality when

That's my favourite reveal. For ages I had been saying that just because a source got one leak right (the original pre E3 post can't be disputed) doesn't mean everything they say will be gospel. Total egg on his face.

but then if we look at everything we realized that he was somewhat right after all

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
but then if we look at everything we realized that he was somewhat right after all

He got fighters wrong and even a reveal trailer wrong. That's not really being somewhat right. What was presented was presented as fact. There was no 'this may be old data that was cut' side note. He had his 15 minutes, no need to give him more.

He got fighters wrong and even a reveal trailer wrong. That's not really being somewhat right. What was presented was presented as fact. There was no 'this may be old data that was cut' side note. He had his 15 minutes, no need to give him more.
Knowing work started on Chrom as a proper fighter and there are references to a Rhythm Heaven rep in the game's code sort of indicate in retrospect that despite getting way ahead of themselves Sal's source clearly had outdated information over lucky guesses.

Dumb that they didn't stop to consider the game's roster could and would change drastically between whenever they saw/heard about parts of it and E3 2013 onwards though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Being right about a hypothetical version 0.000000000001 of Smash 4 and being right about the final version are not the same so in the end the source was wrong. It was presented as the final roster and should be treated as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom