• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see both, but I'm afraid we might just see Bandanna Dee. He's the only big Kirby rep while Dixie and K. Rool may Bull Moose each other.
I would hope in that situation that they'd be able to see a general thirst for a Donkey Kong character and give us one of them if the other is off the table for whatever reason, but I dunno.

Azure J

That is a pretty exhaustive poll. Kudos to SourceGaming for setting it up. Already burned through the first three parts with predictable answers all around. :p

For serious, Waddle Dee before another Donkey Kong character would be pretty effing weak.

Waddle Dee of any configuration is weak considering the series still has Adeline (the perfect proxy character for Canvas/Rainbow Curse mechanics) and Magolor. Even then, I don't feel like Kirby is starved for newcomers really.

Adeline is so obscure I don't even think she'd be up for consideration.

It's not like Kirby's starving for content, anyway. Let something else like DK shine.

Hate to be "that guy" but I lost count of how many 1s I gave.

The Pokémon section in particular was pretty gross; way too many random picks.

Gotta say, I can appreciate PushDustIn adding Daroach to the Kirby selection. Squeak Squad gets too little love.

The game has some fun ideas but the whole thing feels incredibly half-baked (barring the Magic ability). Easily the weakest in the series, IMO.

Let's not kid ourselves, the sound of playable Waddle Dee is akin to the the sound of nails scraping furiously at the bottom of a barrel, granted we are at that stage for the most part.

J@hranimo

Banned
I feel like the lack of Epic Yarn content has probably something to do with the fact that there's already a stage based on Yoshi's Woolly World.

All the Kirby stuff is usually from games Sakurai worked on when he was with HAL. I thought he was going to break that tradition with this game...welp.

I'd love to see both, but I'm afraid we might just see Bandanna Dee. He's the only big Kirby rep while Dixie and K. Rool may Bull Moose each other.

I don't see why cuz K. Rool leads Dixie by miles in the vote and they can just do both him and Bandana Dee if they want to please both fans :)

The lack of Epic Yarn content disappoints me too, but I think that how they made a stage on a game that hadn't come out (Wooly World) is pretty dang neat.

It wouldn't surprise me if they chose the characters according to who had a support thread in SmashBoards.

Grovyle doesn't have a support thread...does he?

Let's not kid ourselves, the sound of playable Waddle Dee is akin to the the sound of nails scraping furiously at the bottom of a barrel, granted we are at that stage for the most part.

Much as I think Waddle Dee would be a hilarious joke character, this Sakurai quote comes to mind.

Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.

Granted, that was like seven years ago but I imagine he hasn't changed his mind on that, LOL

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

s5T44kZ.png

jph139

Grovyle has the distinction of being one of the few second-stage starters to be INFINITELY cooler looking than the final evolution.

Still not enough to get him into Smash, though. Maybe Pokken.

J@hranimo

Banned
As the Treecko line is my favorite starter line, Grovyle > Sceptile. The massive tail always made his design look a little weird to me, but with 6th gen and 3D sprites he looks a bit better.

Zubz

Banned
Not before Greninja.

Hey, Suicune got in before Charizard, and we're getting Pikachu in a luchadora costume instead of the actual luchador Pokemon (Seriously, why?). Grovyle beating Greninja into the game would just be par for the course. Plus, I don't think we have any Grass types at the moment.

The idea of new Mii classes would be cool to see; the poll suggests a 'magic' type but you could also have a hulking monster type who has similar moves to Bowser/Dedede/Charizard.

Also did Snake show up anywhere in those polls? Don't remember seeing him in the 'Deconfirmed Characters' poll. Nevermind, he's in the 3rd party one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The idea of new Mii classes would be cool to see; the poll suggests a 'magic' type but you could also have a hulking monster type who has similar moves to Bowser/Dedede/Charizard.

Also did Snake show up anywhere in those polls? Don't remember seeing him in the 'Deconfirmed Characters' poll.
He's in the 3rd party poll.

All the Kirby stuff is usually from games Sakurai worked on when he was with HAL. I thought he was going to break that tradition with this game...welp.
Sakurai really loves SuperStar. I played it for the first time on Wii U VC and thought it wasn't all that. A couple of mini stories/games instead of one big game, and the sprites are ugly as heck too. Wish we'd see stuff from later games included in Smash and its stages. Plus I hate fighting on the non-omega version of the minecart level.

Much as I think Waddle Dee would be a hilarious joke character, this Sakurai quote comes to mind.

Granted, that was like seven years ago but I imagine he hasn't changed his mind on that, LOL
Since then Bandana Dee has pretty much become the Player 2/assist character I can't think of anyone as visible as him right now he's been pretty constant in the series since Sakurai made that quote. I definitely wouldn't count him out but they'd have to make him really interesting to play as. I really want more polearm/non-humanoid characters so I'm down for it, but I wouldn't mind waiting to see Waddle Dee until the next Smash game, he's not a glaring hole in the roster or anything.

what

that is like the most beautiful snes game ever

how dare you

(am I allowed to post these images with these watermarks?)

I just think the sprites were so acidic, and 3D gradients and stuff they were going for were too much.I'm no pro behind game design or whatever, but it's like nothing stands out, I prefer the paler colours and smaller sprites in the GBA/DS games that followed with the less intrusive interface, since that took up a lot of space in Super Star too.

Reddit reminded me today is the unofficial one year anniversary of Smash 4, as it's the day Japan retailers started selling early copies.

I woke up at 3am to go the bathroom. I checked some messages and found out the game was out, and then watched a stream of gameplay for hours until I needed to go to work.

I remember seeing Master Core live, for the first time ever. That was quite the event, witnessing this entirely unknown and funky looking boss. It hadn't even ever been teased by Sakurai, probably one of the last big surprises we'd have until DLC started rolling out.

The dude who got the early copy was also garbage at the game. It took him, like, four tries to unlock Doctor Mario.

Frofro

Banned
Triple Deluxe and onward call him Bandanna Waddle Dee.
Secret-Diary.jpg
And Rainbow Curse reverted back to just Waddle Dee.

If we are taking his Japan popularity into account, then we should compare him to other top contenders. According to Push, veterans seem to dominate the polls...yet K Rool appears to have more support than even the veterans, something Waddle Dee doesn't.

The thing that bugs me with Waddle Dee, in my opinion, people only want him so they can "complete" other characters. Waddle Dee was the P4 option in RtDL and suddenly people want him to fill this role. We've seen other characters become popular to complete other characters, such as Waluigi for the sake of "4 Plumbers" or Sceptile for "starter trio." Hell, some want Chrom still so they can complete the "Awakening trio".

Compared to the DK franchise for example some people want Dixie and K Rool for the sake of adding more DK reps. While I do feel the series is underrepped personally, Dixie had a staring role in a game and K Rool was consistently the series lead antagonist for a great deal of time. Even further, popular characters like Isaac, Rayman, Simon Belmont, Inklings all had staring roles in their series. Waddle Dee has not, and only recently got a push from player 4 role to player 2.

Reddit reminded me today is the unofficial one year anniversary of Smash 4, as it's the day Japan retailers started selling early copies.

I woke up at 3am to go the bathroom. I checked some messages and found out the game was out, and then watched a stream of gameplay for hours until I needed to go to work.

I remember seeing Master Core live, for the first time ever. That was quite the event, witnessing this entirely unknown and funky looking boss. It hadn't even ever been teased by Sakurai, probably one of the last big surprises we'd have until DLC started rolling out.

The dude who got the early copy was also garbage at the game. It took him, like, four tries to unlock Doctor Mario.

Yeah, that was a great day. I remember when they unlocked Ness and we saw Magicant for the first time and everyone loved it. The we saw the Flying men and everyone lost their shit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom