• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Brawl era was full of misinformation. Remember reports of Rosalina as an assist trophy?

I also recall rumors from the Brawl days of Sothe (Fire Emblem) and Duster (Mother 3) being ATs.

Yeah. Same with Ridley, Porky, and Tails (I still think Tails'd be a good one).

HAHAHAHA! I remember those old days. It was pure insane because no one would willing to take picture of it and prove it, yet people still buying it like crazy!

I don't remember. I just remember reading about it back when early Smash 4 demo units were in the wild.

Yeah, someone tried to mislead everyone to think that Chucky is Assist Trophy so they could imply that King Rool or Dixie still have a chance to become playable character. When people found out that he was full of it then he backtracked if I recalled correctly.

I was reading the K.Rool thread when the Chunky guy was lying out his ass, he was a nobody who other people copied so it looked like a half a dozen people were reporting that Chunk was there. Bastard!

And of course people listened because no way would Sakurai go another game without a DK assist trophy. . Lol

I followed Brawl speculation back when I used to read the IGN boards, and I never even heard of some of these rumors.
Yeah, someone tried to mislead everyone to think that Chucky is Assist Trophy so they could imply that King Rool or Dixie still have a chance to become playable character. When people found out that he was full of it then he backtracked if I recalled correctly.

It's actually Chunky Kong, not Chucky.

I'm not trying to be a dick by pointing that out. You just reminded me of a DK64 racecar...van...toy, I used to have as a kid with the same error.
2537187625_d4c3d482ea.jpg

It was pretty generic, and it was too top-heavy to go down any of the ramps I made for it. One of the wheels may have been busted too.

That must be one hell heck of a toy.

I'm kinda salty you guys reminded me that of the Chunky Kong AT that was not to be.
At least we got that other DKC AT instead, oh ho ho, it's funny because we still got jackshit.

kirby_fox

Banned
That must be one hell heck of a toy.

I'm kinda salty you guys reminded me that of the Chunky Kong AT that was not to be.
At least we got that other DKC AT instead, oh ho ho, it's funny because we still got jackshit.

Cranky Kong or any of the animal buddies would be perfect choices.

You'll get K Rool as an assist in Smash 5 and that's all you'll ever get!

A lot of series are unrepped in Smash besides DK. Notably, Zelda.

Zelda has 2 clones, one of which is the main villain of the entire series in his human form. The series hasn't had a new character since Melee (sorry Toon Link), and only has a few stages compared to other series its size. There are 8 billion variations of the main theme and the dark world overworld, and the most visually interesting stage the series has ever had was cut for a model rip from Twilight Princess. And then they added basically a model rip of Ocarina of Time as DLC (with 6 different versions of the same song), so chances aren't good we ever get Pirate Ship back.

In the base Wii U game, Donkey Kong has as many stages as Zelda does. 20 million more lifetime sales than Donkey Kong (Wikipedia numbers) and much, much stronger legacy as far as mass appeal goes. If K Rool/Dixie gets in, Donkey Kong will have as many unique fighters as Zelda, a series that beats it, largely, in sales and brand awareness.

So you can't really say "DK beats Kirby in sales, therefore the character should go to DK" because then you have to ignore the elephant in the room of the Zelda series, since a Zelda fan can turn around and use the same argument.

Wait weren't you literally just hailing Ganondorf as this amazing unique character who should stay exactly as he is? And now he's a clone who is proof Zelda is in desperate need of stuff? Make up you're mind!!!

No series gets 1:1 content to sales [other wise Mario would have like 150] but with the exception of DK and FE/KI, most series match up with their place in the sales hierarchy; Mario has the most, then Pokemon, then Zelda has 5, Kirby has 3, Metroid and SF has 2, and the smaller series that aren't Sakurai's favorites have 1.

DK is the glaring sore thumb where it would fit right in with 3 or 4 but does not because of excuses, like that it is '2 close 2 Mario' or 'characters are boring and non important.' Let's just stop making excuses and get in K. Rool and Dixie and everyone will be happy :)

[also cuz someone is totally gonna say that OH THEN I GUESS WII FIT SHOULD GET FOUR TOO, it is more than just sales that matter, characters matter too but DK has those in abundance so no biggie]

But Zelda could totally use a newcomer too tho, so even more people are happy. Tingle would be my pick. And those main series remixes are so gd boring, just like all the DK isle swing remixes. FIRE THE COMPOSERS!!!

Liking Ganondorf as he is, but wanting more characters for the series isn't mutually exclusive

You also forgot Mother, a series that should struggle to even get more than a single trophy, yet has two characters, two assist trophies, four stages and more unique remixes than many other series.

Also in Brawl, Pokemon had more characters than Mario, unless you add Wario and Yoshi, and even then, the series are just tied. Pokemon has the most as well, if we count cut characters in the total.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Great article that echoes what I've been saying for months. Also dispels the notion that "Pichu is super popular in Japan just because he's a vet!"
Yeah, that was a pretty good piece. Nice work Dustin :3 I fear your points will be ignored by anyone wanting to try and say their character is super popular, as usual, but I appreciate that you took the time to carefully explain the issues with data gathering on the net and the methodology you used :D

Just for the heck of it I voted in the poll thingy, though I was somewhat surprised to see Delphox in there rather than Braixen when we have Grovyle over their doofier evolution :eek:
Pleasantly surprised to see Ashley in the top 20, though my gut feeling says she's probably not even a blip on the official ballot :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No problem, RascallyWizard. I probably made the obvious mistake because I don't really care about those two characters in Kong family. Other Kongs are more memorable to me.

Yeah, I felt same with some characters in Smash Ballot. They probably would be very small blips comparing to other characters.

On that notion: we have like 18 more days. :D

kirby_fox

Banned
I for one will welcome the Wii Fit Balance Board as a newcomer.

I mean, you can
play as the balance board in Super Mario Maker.

On that notion: we have like 18 more days. :D
Yup, yup. Keep in mind though that while they shared poll data back in melee's days they never revealed the final results of any poll data they gathered around the brawl era so there's no guarantee we'll be any the wiser after the ballot closes :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yup, yup. Keep in mind though that while they shared poll data back in melee's days they never revealed the final results of any poll data they gathered around the brawl era so there's no guarantee we'll be any the wiser after the ballot closes :p

I don't know why but I don't really expect to see any results from Smash Ballot.

jph139

I for one will welcome the Wii Fit Balance Board as a newcomer.

I mean, you can
play as the balance board in Super Mario Maker.

As a hardcore Wii Fit nut, Balance Board was kind of an obvious choice for the Wii Fit newcomer. He's the most prominent character by far - greets you every time you turn on the game, guides you through the various modes, plays a role in the various mini-games...

I'll admit it warms my heart a bit to see him hopping around in WFT's reveal trailer and hanging out on her stage. If they're ever interested in expanding the franchises he's the frontrunner for sure.

Apparently there's been 47 days exactly between each DLC pack so far if we count when Mewtwo was put on the store, and the 16th is exactly 47 days from the last DLC.

Maybe, but it seems we're getting so desperate people are just making up patterns. Needing to assume the date for Mewtwo is his shop date and not his actual release... eh

EulaCapra

No new rumours or anything? Even the 4chan trolls are unhyped.
Only recent one I'm aware of is that 4chan Saffron City leak. I'm having trouble finding it but there's a few Gamefaqs threads if you search for it on the message board.
- convenient 3DS pic of Pikachu and Jigglypuff on Saffron City with very iffy effort--like, the two are randomly floating on top of an old Saffron City photo.
- Wolf is next DLC announcement.
- Dixie Kong would be announced after too.
- Said that King K. Rool and Krystal are top-voted.
- Said that fans have expressed in having more DK reps and females in general.
- "Nintendo" rep said that Dixie Kong kills two birds with one stone with that logic. King K. Rool and Krystal status unknown.

Female votes FTW! Shitty Saffron City 3DS photoshops FTL.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Apparently there's been 47 days exactly between each DLC pack so far if we count when Mewtwo was put on the store, and the 16th is exactly 47 days from the last DLC.

Maybe, but it seems we're getting so desperate people are just making up patterns. Needing to assume the date for Mewtwo is his shop date and not his actual release... eh

Who are we? I don't recalled that I'm getting desperate for information?! :p

No new rumours or anything? Even the 4chan trolls are unhyped.

I already missed rumors despite that it's so cheesy and hilarious how bad they were.

Only recent one I'm aware of is that 4chan Saffron City leak. I'm having trouble finding it but there's a few Gamefaqs threads if you search for it on the message board.
- convenient 3DS pic of Pikachu and Jigglypuff on Saffron City with very iffy effort--like, the two are randomly floating on top of an old Saffron City photo.
- Wolf is next DLC announcement.
- Dixie Kong would be announced after too.
- Said that King K. Rool and Krystal are top-voted.
- Said that fans have expressed in having more DK reps and females in general.
- "Nintendo" rep said that Dixie Kong kills two birds with one stone with that logic. King K. Rool and Krystal status unknown.

Female votes FTW! Shitty Saffron City 3DS photoshops FTL.

That logic is literally horrible

Well, I guess Isaac uses plants and K.Rool is big and Paper Mario is from Mario so Petey Piranha Confirmed!!!

haha, this means every single person who owns Smash will have a page two for stages.

For literally two stages.

Yay... ...
Oh god.
WHAT THE FUCK. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN???

Roughly a minute before I posted it.

Also I am 100% positive this why Peach's Castle doesn't have Overworld from SMB. It all makes sense now, that's why it's missing a song.

jph139

Hmm, interesting. This has to signal a bigger set of DLC, right? They've never had a release for just a single item (unless you count Mewtwo's early launch) - I figure we'll be getting some Mii costumes at least.

Ok, music wishlist

- SMB Ghost House Edit Mode, because secretly best song ever
- SMB Overworld. Basically has to be there.
- Super Mario World Airship. This song is never going to get a chance to appear on any other stage since it's entirely made up for Mario Maker.
- The Mario Maker theme
- Some medley of music from all four styles.
- Fly Swatter Stage 1 (Mario Paint)

Medley and the Mario Maker theme would be the 3DS themes.

This was the perfect stage for the Mario Paint Medley. Ah well, who could have known.

Oh man, they have to have some of the editor music in there. That shit's just too cool.

also original smw theme plz kthx

I'd want Athletic ripped right from the game... but, Mario Maker doesn't have an Athletic theme :(

The Overworld would be fine though.

Still lots of nostalgia for me.
Of the GBA versions haha, just what I needed

I wonder they'll use some unused Brawl music on there.
Underground (on the Wii U at least)
Ground Theme V2

No real reason they need to, they have the soundtracks to Mario Maker and all four themes to pull from. But I just like music returning haha.

Page up, stage isn't free
CO6Hl2UWwAAFlve.jpg:large

Actually more expensive than all other DLC stages

I like how the stage select screen isn't immune to being a cluttered mess of randomly sorted stages.

CO6HmlSUAAEb3Wn.jpg

This look bad. Retro, New, New, Retro, Retro, New.

Ugh...

Looks like they haven't fixed the arrow pointing the wrong way either. Honestly, rather than change the arrow, they should swap custom and extra stages.

kirby_fox

Banned
Out of the blue.

I'm really expecting a random character announcement now too. From no where. Not necessarily soon, but out of the blue.

Wait just a second.

Shouldn't the Mario Maker stage be centered on the Stage Select screen?
qplf7ed.jpg

It's in a row by itself, yet it's centered all wrong, as if they just photoshopped the other stage out...

come on, there might even be artifacts there
PZ80JM7.png

There's this strange blurred circle right where the stage would be. It's especially noticeable at the bottom left of the circle, where the purple meets the orange.

Zubz

Banned
Wait just a second.

Shouldn't the Mario Maker stage be centered on the Stage Select screen?
qplf7ed.jpg

It's in a row by itself, yet it's centered all wrong, as if they just photoshopped the other stage out...

come on, there might even be artifacts there
PZ80JM7.png

There's this strange blurred circle right where the stage would be. It's especially noticeable at the bottom left of the circle, where the purple meets the orange.

The menus for this game are just a mess, anyway. I doubt anything's being hidden here. We might just get Mario Maker this month, then Wolf or whatever next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom