• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks like plastic. His stage looks like absolute garbage. Like it was baby's first model maker.

I'm extremely skeptical on Sakurai ever making an Ice Climbers' costume as well. I think that falls squarely in the same camp as not making vets into alt skins.

Edit: Totally wrong font on the trophy (look at the lower case a).
VAdpmgz.jpg
AWm6MGj.png

As said before, the font on his trophy is off, also some of the green background's lighting should be bouncing off his model. The title of the Runbow stage looks odd too and would probably be capitalised.

I don't know why there'd be so much content like that in one update though, especially for such obscure things such as Nindies. I know Nintendo has a lot more focus on them nowadays but I don't think they'd put it in Smash. Cute attempt though.

Another question would be, why wouldn't Shovel Knight have a stage, and instead some other random indie game has a stage that is Shovel Knight's but basically unrelated.

The only other time that situation happens is with ROB, and it seems incredibly unlikely they'd do that for a third party.

I also like how the button is over the entire Shovel Knight icon, so we can't compare if the fire lines up.

Also in what universe is Shovel Knight trophy number 3? Did he literally boot the game up and then do nothing else but Classic mode and collected absolutely no trophies in classic mode?

Neoxon

Not only does the Shovel Knight model look weird, but (as pointed out) the font for the trophy description is completely off. Plus why would they have a stage from something other than Shovel Knight's own game?

I have to hand it to them though. I was sure the render and the trophy were exactly the same, but upon inspection, the lighting is actually different.

Still fake. But a nice little attention to detail.

That trophy model looks "too" good. And a Runbow stage? Really?
I was about to say, everything in it seems really smoothed over. Smash 4 may be in 1080, but there's very little if any anti-aliasing, so even in that Rayman screenshot you can see some rough areas around his hair that aren't in Shovel Knight's trophy at all. His horns especially seem really rounded and high-poly. Like other's have said, a different indie dev's game being his stage representation would also be bizarre, even if he had a major cameo in it.

Still a cool mock-up, even if it's likely fake.

Why would they take a game that has decent graphics and style and try to make it look like absolute garbage in 3D?
720-GDC-2015-Screenshot-_0003_Lava.png

They wouldn't obviously. A Runbow stage would almost certainly be a "flat" style stage.

I really doubt SK gets in. Smash Ballot aside, the game isn't even out in Japan yet and I really doubt most of the dev team heard about it let alone played it. It just sounds unlikely. Still though the one character I want to see in Smash is Phoenix Wright. Of course, I voted Wonder Red over him because Platinum needs love and Capcpom really doesn't.

kirby_fox

Banned
What if Nintendo is going to announce their first acquisition is Yacht Club? And that's why Shovel Knight is coming.

They could become the next Rare.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
At least this time there's nothing in this leak that will let me down when it turns out to be fake (I will never forgive those Dr Mario stage fakers for teasing an arrangement of the title screen music!)

To give them credit, everyone assumed Shovel Knight fighter = Shovel Knight stage, so at least the stage idea is original.

I do not believe that Shovel Knight will be in Smash, but this was a semi convincing leak. The trophy screen font was pretty jarring tho. Runbow stage was a cool idea.

Also, I'm really getting into making Mii fighters. Now that they're all kinda decent (Swordfighter still needs some help), I've been getting really into customizing them. The hoodie outfits are slick as fuck.

I kinda wish there would be some DLC which added new types, especially since it would be kinda easy as several Mii moves are based on other characters.

Sorcerer would be a good one. I was also kicking around the idea of a Mii that has a huge shield and uses it to fight (maybe call it "Defender" to stick with the "er" naming theme).

I'm sure there would be other cool Mii ideas but I'm drawing a blank.

Sorcerer is the first thing to come to mind, though there could also be a 'Beast' type of Mii Fighter that's like Bowser/Dedede/Charizard/Donkey Kong. Maybe also an 'animal' or 'cute' type Mii who could mimic characters like Kirby/Pikachu?

Getting fans to vote on their favorite moves in Smash to be turned into custom moves for Mii Fighters would be neat as well.

Three characters is plenty for Miis.

Most new characters added with a new series. Fire Emblem in Melee used to be the top with two characters, Mii got three.

No series is probably ever going to overtake Zelda's four new comers in Melee though. Except that's all Zelda would ever get, so maybe other series are happy they didn't get four new comers in Melee :/

I don't think Smash treats the Miis as belonging to a series at all. They're essentially custom characters done the Smash way using Nintendo's built in avatar system.

I wonder if we are going to hear something from Nintendo or Sakurai. Like this Friday or next Monday.
I think I've consigned myself to the idea that we are never getting any more characters and Mario Maker is coming alone. I mean, I know that isn't necessarily true, but the way they've handled DLC post E3 makes it too easy to just forget. I'm thinking they shouldn't have blown their character load at E3 and spaced them out so we wouldn't get droughts like this.

Zubz

Banned
Well, of course it's not over, but they are doing a pretty poor job of keeping it on everyone's mind.

Nintendo's entire marketing plan for late Summer/early Fall seemed to be based around a Direct or 2. With Iwata gone, the Direct(s) got cancelled, so everything's just happening at almost-random, though.

Iwata passed away less than a month after the June update IIRC, so there wasn't too much time to change their marketing plans. It's impressive that we had that August update that got revealed via Twitter at all; they could've just waited, did a second blow-out, and then further DLC, assuming it's coming, would have been better-paced.

Neoxon

I'm starting to think that this update will go character-free, again. Unfortunately, this would most likely result in the Super Mario Maker level not selling that well.

javadoze

I'm starting to think that this update will go character-free, again. Unfortunately, this would most likely result in the Super Mario Maker level not selling that well.

That and the lack of a Direct to promote the DLC makes the release feel a bit more under-the-radar (just like the release of the two N64 stages).

kirby_fox

Banned
This is true, but even beyond that I think they would have been better served to stagger Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. Nothing gets Smash fans more excited than a new character.

I've had my theory that the original plan was to do that had the data not leaked. The amount of characters was perfect for one every two months. I feel like that might be why we've been getting what we've been getting instead with some random dates. If we do get a character next week, I feel like it'll be a clone or someone they made quickly to fill in the gap. I wonder if they had an initial list for DLC and are working on a bunch at the same time...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/310806207

There is more Smash Brothers DLC coming along with the Mario Maker Stage on the 30th.Infact in the days leading up to it Nintendo on there twitter will be a Mii outfits,another stage, and on the 29th a character.

27th:(Mii fighters):Isaac(swordfighter),Eggman(Gunner),Glass joe(Brawler),Generic Rabbit Suit(brawler),Smash style onesie(All types),Takamaru(Swordfighter),Galatic Knight(swordfighter),Pit based outfit(gunner)

28th:(stage): Brainstar Depths. The popular Metroid stage is back.The series is known for its larger than life boss battles and this stage plays into that perfectly.Can you survive Kraid and a stage that rotates at random points?

29th:(Character):Back by popular demand it's none other than melee's cute little underdog pichu.He may not be as strong as his older counterpart and true he hurts himself doing some attacks but dont let the cute face you or will be in for quite a shock.

The prices for the most part are the same as wave 2 and 3.So keep an eye out on the 27th

1 and 3 are fine. 8 costumes and Pichu, whatever

2 is the stickler because the music is used. Also I question how "popular" Brinstar Depths actually was, or if it could even work on the 3DS.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Pichu.
I mean, I could understand Wolf, but I'm not buying that Pichu would be coming back. Also, I hate Brinstar Depths, so pls no to that

What's said there is no doubt fake, but I would be down for a Takamaru outfit for the Swordfighter. Give some hope that his outfit sells well, and the amount of people voting in the ballot, maybe Sakurai will consider him beyond the roster planning stages, I wouldn't care if he's still not in Smash 5 just as long as he had more hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom