• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if we get more than the Mario Maker and that other potential stage (the one that looked like it was shopped out of the select screen) next week.

They could save the next round of fighters for the ballot reveal whenever that may be, all in one go. Just seems to be very little hype.

My gut says:
Wolf
Ballot winner 1
Ballot winner 2
Pichu?

Leaving Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur as the only Smash casualties of SSB4.

I just hope we get an Inkopolis stage along with Mario Maker to make up for no Inklings - I can't see it happening even if they did score high in the ballot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sure we'll get Mii Costumes. Hell, like Ryu had fighting related costumes, we may get Mario ones like dungarees and a Goomba hat.

And since it takes a while to make a new character expect them to just say who will be coming as a result of the ballot rather than the ability to download them, a bit like Mewtwo's reveal.

Neoxon

I'll be surprised if we get more than the Mario Maker and that other potential stage (the one that looked like it was shopped out of the select screen) next week.

They could save the next round of fighters for the ballot reveal whenever that may be, all in one go. Just seems to be very little hype.

My gut says:
Wolf
Ballot winner 1
Ballot winner 2
Pichu?

Leaving Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur as the only Smash casualties of SSB4.

I just hope we get an Inkopolis stage along with Mario Maker to make up for no Inklings - I can't see it happening even if they did score high in the ballot.
I honestly don't think they'd do a Splatoon stage with no Inklings. The Mii Costumes seemed more like a means to advertise the game than a means to appease Ballot voters. More so when you consider that the bulk of the Inklings' popularity came after the game's release, especially in Japan.

NeonZ

I'm just saying I don't see the point of it any more now that every stage is a FD equivalent. It's the only stage I have turned off in random stage selection. Tabuu's stage in Brawl was story exclusive, it's not really a big deal when you already have another stage that provides the same service; a flat stage and as said above you always have Battlefield Omega for non game series tied flat stage.

No stage from Subspace Emissary was available outside of it (and Boss mode) due to the way the game was developed apparently.

Ryce

It's curious that only one of the two big releases since Smash Bros. is getting a stage. Hopefully Splatoon won't be stuck with a lousy Mii costume and a character/stage combo is in the works.

Somebody told me that a Crash Bandicoot GBA game is coming to Wii U VC, and Crash is also coming to Smash. I just kind of laughed about it, asked for proof and didn't get any.

Is this some sort of rumor that has been circling around?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Somebody told me that a Crash Bandicoot GBA game is coming to Wii U VC, and Crash is also coming to Smash. I just kind of laughed about it, asked for proof and didn't get any.

Nope, I haven't heard anything about it so I guess it's your local thing.

Neoxon

It's curious that only one of the two big releases since Smash Bros. is getting a stage. Hopefully Splatoon won't be stuck with a lousy Mii costume and a character/stage combo is in the works.
If that was happening, the 2nd stage wouldn't be listed separately.

I've seen this, but it's not worth posting due to how blatantly fake it is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly feel that Splatoon as a character at this time is bad since the 3DS will limit them and they won't fully integrate their moveset potential.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Style Savvy: This third instalment in the fashion simulation series that has sold over 1.5 million units across Europe to date*

I'm surprised that Style Savvy is a million seller, so I wonder if it could meant anything for Smash 5.

I honestly feel that Splatoon as a character at this time is bad since the 3DS will limit them and they won't fully integrate their moveset potential.

I'm not sure about Splatoon but I'm more concerned about Wonderful 101 representative being limited/.

Crayolan

I'm still thinking Inklings will be saved for Smash 5. They're pretty much the most popular newcomer Nintendo has left and would be a big point for marketing. Plus Smash 5 can probably do them more justice than Smash 4, not tied to the limitations of the 3DS.

If Melee had DLC, do you think Olimar would have still been saved for Brawl?

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure on Inklings being saved either. There's always the risk they're irrelevant in 5-6 years.

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure on Inklings being saved either. There's always the risk they're irrelevant in 5-6 years.

Oh please. Splatoon was highly successful. They aren't going anywhere. Do I think they could be rushed out as Smash 4 DLC? Possibly, depending on how well they perform in the ballot. It's not over yet, folks.

I can't imagine Nintendo is going to let the Splatoon IP just sit and decay.

How long were the Donkey Kong Country and Metroid series dormant? Especially the latter, which, other than Smash, wasn't even mentioned at all or used in any way. It will be one decade since the last Star Fox game (besides the remake). Pikmin missed the entire Wii generation.

They've let successful series lay dormant before.

Honestly all I really want out of DLC character-wise is a Rhythm Heaven character.

And Ice Climbers goddammit and I swear if you try to tell me it won't happen I'll give you a wedgie so there

How long were the Donkey Kong Country and Metroid series dormant? Especially the latter, which, other than Smash, wasn't even mentioned at all or used in any way. It will be one decade since the last Star Fox game (besides the remake). Pikmin missed the entire Wii generation.

Right off the bat they don't. Every one of them laid low after at least a single sequel. Metroid disappeared for eight years after two sequels were made because the team was stuck with the Virtual Boy failure and a lack of 3D experience to bring it to consoles, and is dead now due to being stretched too far too fast followed by an honest to goodness bomb. Donkey Kong fell off the map when Rare did, no coincidence there. Star Fox died after a series of games of declining quality and sales. And while Pikmin's absence on the Wii is odd, it did still get one sequel before that.

The chances of Splatoon falling off the face of the earth in the next five years are incredibly slim.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm pretty sure that Splatoon is going to be one of trifecta of online games for Nintendo consoles, starting now. Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon. There is no way that Splatoon would be forgotten.

Because Pikmin 3 kept getting delayed from top of my head during Wii development so I have a feeling that's why they re-released Pikmin 1 and 2 for Wii to keep people aware of the franchise.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Splatoon is already closing the gap of Smash iirc.

Anyway even if they didn't put Inklings as playable now, that won't stop them for putting them next game. Olimar had that.

Crayolan

I'm not sure.

I mean, yes, there is a chance, but it's such a tiny one that I sure hope you don't actually believe Nintendo will let that happen.

Aside from the obvious, like Mario, Kart, and Zelda, Splatoon is the one series I'm the most confident will get another installment on Nintendo's next home console.

Javier

Regardless of when Inkling makes it to Smash, I stand by my prediction that she will be a Hammerspace-style character that pulls the right weapon for the right move, without the ink having any lasting effect on the stage. I don't really see the Ink mechanic from Splatoon carrying over to Smash since it sounds like a pain to implement, even on Wii U.

One other thing I think is very possible is that Sakurai could start making the Inkling character as four female alts and four male alts (like what Robin, Villager and WFT are now), but eventually could give it the Marthcina/Pits treatment and separating Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy as two different characters.

Muzy72

Banned
Regardless of when Inkling makes it to Smash, I stand by my prediction that she will be a Hammerspace-style character that pulls the right weapon for the right move, without the ink having any lasting effect on the stage. I don't really see the Ink mechanic from Splatoon carrying over to Smash since it sounds like a pain to implement, even on Wii U.

One other thing I think is very possible is that Sakurai could start making the Inkling character as four female alts and four male alts (like what Robin, Villager and WFT are now), but eventually could give it the Marthcina/Pits treatment and separating Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy as two different characters.

Inkling Girl and Boy being separate characters would make no sense.

Give me Callie and Marie instead. :p

Male Inking V1
Female Inkling V1
Male Inking V2
Female Inkling V2
Male Octoling
Female Octoling
Callie
Marie

Where the Inkling variations have different outfits (but are all called Inlking), and Octolings/Callie/Marie each have separate voice clips and announcer names.

The 8 alts for Inklings should be split into 4 different outfits for each gender like Robin, WFT, and Villager.

With the first six colors/outfits being from this picture:

latest

and the last two being the School Girl Inkling and Samurai Boy Inkling.

If Octolings are playable in a future Splatoon update, double the alts to 16 to match Little Mac's count.

As for their inks covering a course, just make a lame excuse where all of the stages in Smash can't be covered, like some parts of the maps in Splatoon.

Their forward air shall be a semi-clone of Snake's leg slam, where they flick a roller, weaker, and has more range to compensate.

Give me Callie and Marie instead. :p

If there is a Splatoon stage, there should be a Splatfest theme that is played around the time the actual Splatfest occurs, with Callie and Marie in the background kind of like Smashville.

Crayolan

Male Inking V1
Female Inkling V1
Male Inking V2
Female Inkling V2
Male Octoling
Female Octoling
Callie
Marie

Where the Inkling variations have different outfits (but are all called Inlking), and Octolings/Callie/Marie each have separate voice clips and announcer names.

As much as I'd like Callie and Marie to be playable they'll obviously be reduced to trophy status, or if they're lucky, assist trophy status.

Besides, if they were playable then they'd have to get in their Agent Outfits and that'd spoil the deep Splatoon lore!

The 8 alts for Inklings should be split into 4 different outfits for each gender like Robin, WFT, and Villager.

With the first six colors/outfits being from this picture:

and the last two being the School Girl Inkling and Samurai Boy Inkling.

If Octolings are playable in a future Splatoon update, double the alts to 16 to match Little Mac's count.

As for their inks covering a course, just make a lame excuse where all of the stages in Smash can't be covered, like some parts of the maps in Splatoon.

Now this I could see happening.

Simply because of the announcement last week. Right in the middle of Wednesday night seemed random... Unless they plan to lead to the update with something every Wednesday.

Just a hunch.

So far, finding patterns in DLC releases, even announcements of DLC releases, hasn't really held up.

I do think today is the most likely day to announce something. Maybe not a character, but we have Mii Hats and the mysterious second stage.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So far, finding patterns in DLC releases, even announcements of DLC releases, hasn't really held up.

I do think today is the most likely day to announce something. Maybe not a character, but we have Mii Hats and the mysterious second stage.
I think Mii costumes is the most likely outcome. Maybe the second DLC stage will be saved for a surprise trailer next week.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have the feeling that, if we are getting anything else with the Super Mario Maker stage, it will be announced today.

It's probably Friday or Monday. They usually announce something like few days before the release date. It's rare that they would announce something like a week before the release date.

Richie

Final Destination is a series' staple, it's here to stay. Not every Omega form is the exact same either, subtle difference are at play, it's like sayin' Miiverse renders Battlefield obsolete.

Plus, story exclusive stages by all means should be playable. The more the merrier! One of the missed chances I saw with the Subspace Emissary is that so many stages, which could have been perfectly playable in Brawl mode, were relegated to the SSE only. There should have been four tabs in the stage selection: the Brawl ones, the Melee ones, the Custom ones....aaaand those you had unlocked through the SSE. Would have been awesome.

At most, we'll get someone like Wolf. But at this point, even he seems unlikely for this update.

There's literally no reason for anything to be "unlikely" this update. Like seriously, we know absolutely nothing.

In fact we know more is coming via their poor photoshop and HTML artifacts lol

You think they'll announce it early, or do a mini Smash direct on the 30th and just say "It's out after the direct"

I guess the latter is more likely if there's a character, but there's no way to know

Neoxon

There's literally no reason for anything to be "unlikely" this update. Like seriously, we know absolutely nothing.

In fact we know more is coming via their poor photoshop and HTML artifacts lol
I just feel like it's too late for anything substantial. And judging by the fact that the second stage is listed separately (unlike Ryu, who was bundled with his stage), I doubt that we'll get anyone from a new franchise.

Ryce

The E3 presentation that revealed Roy and Ryu was announced six days in advance, so there might be an announcement tomorrow for a video on the 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom