• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Yeah, there have been a bunch of announcements made on short notice. I'm not expecting a DLC character on the 30th, but I don't think the Mario Maker stage is all we're getting. Sakurai has talked about distribution difficulties in Famitsu, so I don't think he's going to put out a content update that includes only one stage.

Neoxon

Yeah, there have been a bunch of announcements made on short notice. I'm not expecting a DLC character on the 30th, but I don't think the Mario Maker stage is all we're getting. Sakurai has talked about distribution difficulties in Famitsu, so I don't think he's going to put out a content update that includes only one stage.
I mean, I'm sure that we'll get a second stage. I'm just not sure if we'll get another character on the 30th.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We are bound to get a few Mii costumes at least. The things are very easy to make and we've had them in every update involving a character or a stage.

We are bound to get a few Mii costumes at least. The things are very easy to make and we've had them in every update involving a character or a stage.

They must be super cheap to make because I doubt most of them sell all that well. Probably only the big ones like Inkling, K Rool and Protoman that really sell well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
They must be super cheap to make because I doubt most of them sell all that well. Probably only the big ones like Inkling, K Rool and Protoman that really sell well.
I doubt they spend more than a day's work on each costume. They are literally just models super imposed onto the Miis' skeletons. Of course there's some testing to make sure they don't come out buggy, but most of the work was already done in the vanilla game.

The most time consuming part when doing Mii costumes has to be getting the licences for the 3rd party ones.

I have a theory Capcom basically gave them full reign over the entire Mega Man IP as part of the initial contract, and they ran from there with all the Mega Man costumes.

There's so many Mega Man costumes, plus all the different Mega Man songs and trophies, it feels a lot like Capcom just sort of handed everything over for Smash.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I have a theory Capcom basically gave them full reign over the entire Mega Man IP as part of the initial contract, and they ran from there with all the Mega Man costumes.

There's so many Mega Man costumes, plus all the different Mega Man songs and trophies, it feels a lot like Capcom just sort of handed everything over for Smash.
They're just getting ready for when they hand the IP to Sakurai. Can't wait for Mega Man Uprising for NX.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Pretty Much! I imagine people would buy more Mii costumes if they actually allows Mii fighters being selectable during for fun and for glory.

Muzy72

Banned
The E3 presentation that revealed Roy and Ryu was announced six days in advance, so there might be an announcement tomorrow for a video on the 30th.

In all fairness, that one had to be announced a bit ahead of time because it was part of their E3 lineup. This one doesn't have to be announced so far ahead in advance.

NeonZ

The deck of the Halberd is used for a boss fight. Not sure if it's the same as the deck that appears on the Halberd stage though.

I think the background assets were the same, but the SSE version was almost an "Omega" version of the stage, with no floating platform and never leaving the deck.

The Mega Man bgm are all from the classic series though...

I really do think Ridley's issue is that Sakurai has kind of made up his mind about what he is and not necessarily that he's impossible to make work, and turning him into a terrible stage hazard is his attempt to make peace with his fans. Which was just a flat bad idea, if you ask me.

But this made me think of the ballot and its potential for being used as a metric for Smash 5--that would be pretty unfair to characters who are already wrapped up in other functions in SSB4, be it Assist Trophy, stage hazard, or otherwise.

RomanceDawn

Is this really about Ridley? I can't read it at all. Someone mentioned a proxy to get around Chinese Internet defenses but I don't even know fear that is, lol.

@Green Mamba.
I've thought about the exact same thing since the ballot was announced. Ridley is by far the clearest example to me because I am active in his support communities but I know the same can be said for Takanaru, Ashley, etc.

Not to mention you had and still have people discouraging others not to "waste" their vote on a character with a very clear role already and I'm sure the results reflect that.

I went in with the mindset that this poll will be referenced for Smash games in the future so hazard or not, Ridley got most of my votes.

I do not think Source Gaming has ever done an article that was not completely in defense of Sakurai and his character design instead of picking apart the good and the bad. First Ganondorf then Wario and now Ridley too.

Next in line will be talking about why Dark Pit is the best thing to come since they put the pocket in pita bread :s

You think they'll announce it early, or do a mini Smash direct on the 30th and just say "It's out after the direct"

I guess the latter is more likely if there's a character, but there's no way to know
As odd as it may be, I say the character(s) (I do believe in a character, no way we go two DLC updates without on.) will either be announced on twitter/youtube or not announced at all. Nintendo's announcements/Direct/Hype have all been completely destroyed since Iwatas death so I'm just going with a simple twitter announcement or the character trailer being uploaded on youtube at a random time before the update like the Mario Maker stage was.

Next in line will be talking about why Dark Pit is the best thing to come since they put the pocket in pita bread :s

Well...

As odd as it may be, I say the character(s) (I do believe in a character, no way we go two DLC updates without on.) will either be announced on twitter/youtube or not announced at all. Nintendo's announcements/Direct/Hype have all been completely destroyed since Iwatas death so I'm just going with a simple twitter announcement or the character trailer being uploaded on youtube at a random time before the update like the Mario Maker stage was.
Pretty much. They just sort of throw announcements out on YouTube or Twitter these days.

Ryce

I love Source Gaming, but I wish they stuck to translations and data mining/evaluation. That's how the site became popular. It's always disappointing when the site updates and it's just some op-ed piece or top ten list or prediction. It feels like they have a content quota to fill.

Found on Reddit. Wanna post because I live for leaks. :D

a5kye6p.jpg

v8F6dFj.jpg

The fur looks ugly since the realer it looks, the worse it looks, so I'm going with it being true since DK and Diddy look so bad ingame.

Fur too strong.

I'm not joking about the fur, it looks ugly like the game's fur but yeah, probably easily debunked simce it didn't catch on Reddit. #Teamfake #IWantCharacter!

Render is by VeemonTamer for the Dixie4Smash campaign on SmashBoards/Twitter.

I like it. Only thing is the mouth area looks off-model to me. But it's pretty cool. Dixie's my #2 after K. Rool, glad to see her get high quality work like that.

Also: I agree about the Sourcegaming editorials. They frequently come off as lectures to shut down complaints about Smash Bros. While I wouldn't say they are "completely" on board with all of Sakurai's decisions, their tendency to make posts mostly "defending" Sakurai/Smash Bros. is something I have noticed myself. If the editorials were more even-handed (in argument, not necessarily conclusion), I would enjoy them more. Their translation work, however, is invaluable.

Zubz

Banned
Somebody told me that a Crash Bandicoot GBA game is coming to Wii U VC, and Crash is also coming to Smash. I just kind of laughed about it, asked for proof and didn't get any.

Is this some sort of rumor that has been circling around?

This is the first I've heard of the rumor. I see no reason to believe it's real, but I honestly would love it if Crash was coming to Smash!

Style Savvy: This third instalment in the fashion simulation series that has sold over 1.5 million units across Europe to date*

I'm surprised that Style Savvy is a million seller, so I wonder if it could meant anything for Smash 5.

I mean, my favorite fighter's the Wii Fit Trainer. I could care less about Style Savvy, and there are numerous characters like Wonder Red, Bayonetta, and Ridley that I'd want more, but I wouldn't be upset if we got a Style Savvy character as an oddball rep. Maybe it'll get a Mii Costume now, and a stage in Smash 5, though? I mean, it's now a decent-tier franchise for Nintendo, after all.

As for that Ridley article, they raise a lot of good points. Seriously, I think it's more frustrating knowing that Ridley's role as a mere, annoying hazard in Smash 4 isn't because Sakurai didn't care, but because he actually did (Albeit clinging tightly to his idea that Ridley has to be at least twice the size of anyone else). Thinking that Sakurai didn't want Ridley but added him due to fan demand made it easier to swallow that he not only wasn't playable, but was part of the game's second-worst mechanic behind Smash Tour.

Realizing he truly thinks the character deserves a big role, but that this is the best way to implement him is far more disappointing, and makes me feel bad for Sakurai. He did what he thought was right, and even if stage bosses are an abysmal mechanic, that must be horrible, hearing that he just made the very people he'd hoped to excite quickly turn irate and bitter. Plus, there's that whole personal guilt over calling his Ridley teases "assholish." I wasn't thinking straight after that reveal, and all the people cawing about how he never had a chance didn't really help... But I also didn't even consider that he was hoping to get Ridley fans excited.
It's still technically just the Other M clone in Smash 4, though. I'm not done pushing for Ridley Prime as DLC.

And I'm sorry. I may still be greatly disappointed over a lack of Wario Land representation, and I think they could've just given Melee-Ganondorf's moveset to Black Shadow in Brawl while giving the Dorf a new Trident-based moveset (It's too late to go back now), but I will defend the decision to upgrade Dark Pit from alt to clone until the day I die. Unless it turns out that Rock Pikmin wouldn't've been so hard to make and we could've gotten Alph promoted to playable instead of Dark Pit, that is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I mean, my favorite fighter's the Wii Fit Trainer. I could care less about Style Savvy, and there are numerous characters like Wonder Red, Bayonetta, and Ridley that I'd want more, but I wouldn't be upset if we got a Style Savvy character as an oddball rep. Maybe it'll get a Mii Costume now, and a stage in Smash 5, though? I mean, it's now a decent-tier franchise for Nintendo, after all.

I'm trying to figure out how could Style Savvy Shopper would work in Smash Bros. It might be one thing that could held back the character. I did check out the youtube and see the game in action. All I could think is that the stage might be best way to represent the franchise itself.

Dark Pit is the only character I think in Smash Bros. history I see as a net negative gain. Uncharacteristically cheap and lazy design for Smash, he has no defining gameplay or visual reason to exist that couldn't have been achieved with a costume and customs and the only significant thing he adds is yet another character to the already ridiculously bloated All-Star mode and every "beat XXX with everyone" challenge. Lucina at least gets to call herself "Lazy-Man's Marth," or "Training Wheels Marth." Dark Pit is "Pit with Angry Eyes."

No matter how bad character selection may get in the future, I would hope we will forever be at least able to say, "Well, at least they aren't Dark Pit."

I'm the dead opposite, I view Dark Pit as only a net positive. He offers a minor gameplay change at barely any cost to development and Pit isn't bogged down with half of his alt colors being wasted on Dark Pit, while Dark Pit would have an unfitting Final Smash as an alt.

The Dark Pit vs Rosalina match up alone warrants his inclusion.

Also you'll probably be using Dark Pit in the present tense when you say that, as he probably isn't going anywhere.

Also you'll probably be using Dark Pit in the present tense when you say that, as he probably isn't going anywhere.
You say that about every character though. Is there anyone you think could be cut at all? Because Smash has only gone through one installment where no one was cut, and that was when the veteran roster was a lofty number of twelve.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm trying to not be ass about it but I can't help it but smiled at those complaints. I meant it literally bring me a huge grin on my face when I read those complaints.

Seriously, Dark Pit is just a low budget development which turned from alt costume into full fledged clone character. Ironically enough is that Dark Pit is mirrored of Pit in the story plot.

If it wasn't for clone concept then we could have got less characters on the roster in several versions of Smash. Also our clones are way better than clones in Mario Kart. :p

Best things about Dark Pit are Dark Pit Amiibo and his edgy and snarky attitude.

NswY7ih.jpg

damn right, I'm biased!

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I would love for Dark Pit to be de-cloned some more, but he may just be an alt-costume in future games. He could have had a different array of uprising weapons compared to pit (like clubs/gloves/staff), so I can see some potential in keeping him as a separate character.

This is probably a terrible thing to say but I kinda feel the same as Heath except it's more in regards to the Ridley stage boss.

It's so unbelievably overpowered and broken, but it's that very fact and the Ridley KO icon that makes me laugh so goddamn hard every time I play on it.

Should hVe been someone from a different series to get the alternate costume/promoted to clone treatment. Maybe Dark Samus would be good, or Ninten, or even Blood Falcon before Dark Pit.

Zubz

Banned
This is probably a terrible thing to say but I kinda feel the same as Heath except it's more in regards to the Ridley stage boss.

It's so unbelievably overpowered and broken, but it's that very fact and the Ridley KO icon that makes me laugh so goddamn hard every time I play on it.

Y'see, it's those 3 reasons why I actively avoid Pyrosphere unless playing with a 5th+ person. The first 2 just make the stage actively not-fun. The 3rd just gives me a case of the sads.

Even if Dark Pit could benefit from further decloning in Smash 5, and if there were options I'd rather they added, Dark Pit is only there because Dark Pit was always in the game. He was just an easy-to-add alt costume. He has the same voice actor as Pit, and developed from one of Pit's Brawl palettes; Dark Pit was inevitable, but extra dev time allowed them to either promote him to playable or sit on their thumbs. I'm appreciate that they did the former.

Would be great if Dark Pit comes back next game if they really reworked him more so his specials, or even his normals all used the various weapons in KI:U or whatever KI game comes out before then. There's so many different types of weapons and playstyles in the game but they only scratch the surface in Smash.

Ridley is so special that he gets a stock icon but not special enough to get one based on his SSB4 appearance.

PK Gaming

I wouldn't say he's a net negative, but Dark Pit definitely doesn't offer much to the roster. He's ultimately just a different flavored Pit with better taunts and a spiffy win theme (and let's be real, the competitive differences between him and Pit border on neglible). I mean if you like him then more power to you, but he could have been so, so, soooo much better.

Even giving a couple of his normals different properties would have been nice.

I'm mostly just miffed that they couldn't just change the Orbitars he uses. Even if it was a texture swap. Like, give him the Gemini Orbitars and swap the shields for the faces. Even keep the effect, just change the looks so Pitroo can have three unique KI:U weapons.

I'd love to see him further decloned by making him use his Dark Pit Staff for his normals.

Also, on the topic of clones, I'd be ecstatic to see Alph promoted to clone status (even if that may not be likely). I wanna see how they planned him to be different from Olimar and also Rock Pikmin are the best Pikmin.

I'm mostly just miffed that they couldn't just change the Orbitars he uses. Even if it was a texture swap. Like, give him the Gemini Orbitars and swap the shields for the faces. Even keep the effect, just change the looks so Pitroo can have three unique KI:U weapons.

I'd love to see him further decloned by making him use his Dark Pit Staff for his normals.

Also, on the topic of clones, I'd be ecstatic to see Alph promoted to clone status (even if that may not be likely). I wanna see how they planned him to be different from Olimar and also Rock Pikmin are the best Pikmin.

Yeah, Dark Pit should have had all his weapons changed even if some of it was just cosmetic. I'm honestly surprised they didn't do that, considering they changed his side-special like they did.

I love Dark Pit though. I'm glad both he and normal Pit made it into the game, though I'd have been cool with him being an alt costume... but it's nice there's some difference, particularly with their Final Smashes.

Alph should be promoted in Smash 5 for sure.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the game's second-worst mechanic behind Smash Tour.
Smash Tour is the worst mechanic? That has to be the worst opinion posted in the history of all these threads.

And I'm sorry. I may still be greatly disappointed over a lack of Wario Land representation, and I think they could've just given Melee-Ganondorf's moveset to Black Shadow in Brawl while giving the Dorf a new Trident-based moveset (It's too late to go back now), but I will defend the decision to upgrade Dark Pit from alt to clone until the day I die. Unless it turns out that Rock Pikmin wouldn't've been so hard to make and we could've gotten Alph promoted to playable instead of Dark Pit, that is.
When has Ganondorf used a trident? Trident represents Pig Ganon.

kirby_fox

Banned
I still think Dark Pit would have been great as a slower, heavier Pit- much like Ganondorf was a slower, heavier more powerful Falcon. Would have made him way more unique feeling, and played a lot differently than Pit. As he is now, he feels like a 90s by-product instead of being way more interesting like he was in Uprising.

I really want to see what an updated Pichu would play like. You have to think, if they had plans for Plusle-Minun in Brawl then there was likely an updated moveset that could be used for Pichu instead...

I just thought of something, what if the Super Mario Maker stage has the potential to get the layout of Mushroom Kingdom 64 and Melee as a hidden easter egg?

Crayolan

Smash Tour is the worst mechanic? That has to be the worst opinion posted in the history of all these threads.

Yea, obviously it's the second worst mechanic, after being able to get repeat custom moves and equipment.

Being serious, I'm sure there's a handful of things worse, but Smash Tour is pretty boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom