• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chorus Kids!

Chorus Kids

Sounds good haha

Done and done
cqusWXL.png

Sponge

Banned
It also seems like they're ready to embrace the idea of Smash as its own dedicated "service" or "shop" where buying the game gets you the base but getting extra "hats" (re: characters) over time base on current Nintendo's properties is the endgame.

It does seem like it. Games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros come once a generation and tend to sell well through out a consoles lifespan. I'm pumped that Nintendo is making Mario Kart and Smash more into services. It gives those players even more reason to come back and play these games. Plus, we don't have to wait over half a decade for new content.

^ I probably would have actually voted for Snake if all this Kojima stuff hadn't basically burned the only bridge that was there in the first place.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I see where you coming from. But Sakurai will deliver, no problem! :) And I have the feeling when Wonder Red doesn't make it into this iteration, he will never join Smash :(

Considering every fighter was made from scratch, Smash 4's roster is really a huge achievement. Just look at those animations. oh boy.
For future Smashes I think they can build up from this.

Fair enough. I hope that he would make in next iteration of he didn't get his chance this time.

Kierian

Neo Member
I'm going to vote for Elite Beat Agent. Each agent could be a separate costume and all their attacks could be different dancing moves. For their final smash all the agents could get together and dance around the stage to Jumping Jack Flash... I can dream can't I?

Zimmy64

Just voted for Simon (with a Richter alt). Has Richter ever appeared on a Nintendo platform. He's most famous for Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, but I don't think either of those have appeared on Nintendo platforms unless I'm missing anything.

EDIT: Just remembered about Dracula X. That crappy port of Rondo of Blood is finally good for something. Richter is so much cooler than Simon.

Just voted for Simon (with a Richter alt). Has Richter ever appeared on a Nintendo platform. He's most famous for Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, but I don't think either of those have appeared on Nintendo platforms unless I'm missing anything.

EDIT: Just remembered about Dracula X. That crappy port of Rondo of Blood is finally good for something. Richter is so much cooler than Simon.

he's also playable in portrait of ruin! and also rondo was on wii vc

Mupod

Did not see any wonder red hype this page.
For shame.

I think I might actually love the idea of a smash charge character, that charges up his unite morphs in order to get more damage and range.
There's no way that if he gets in, he's going to be just the baseline version without unite morphs. It's how they
might
do those that's going to be interesting.
Normally I would throw my vote away on lyn but she's gonna be in project m anywaysseeing all these true believers here in the Neo has given me hope.
I have a dream.
And only you crazy assholes can make it happen.
The time has come.
Let's defend the earthput a pretty cool guy in smash
GIF_-_Wonderful_101_Thumbs_Up_zps7f241b13.gif

TEAM, UNITE UP!

roger

[im g]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080623063411/metalgear/images/e/ed/Mgs2-solid-snake-bw.jpg[/img]

[im g]http://i.imgur.com/KFEFGneh.jpg[/img]

Do the right thing, people.

Unique means one of a kind, something can't be the most unique!

Also, I imagine any chance Snake had left Konami earlier this month.

I just... don't see Wonder Red being added as DLC.

DLC needs to sell. More so than characters in the regular roster, DLC characters need to basically be able to stand on their own and be popular enough to make it worth it. Veterans come pre-built with enough popularity to matter, but a new comer has to work for it. It's also hard because the costs to add a new comer would be a larger, as they require new voice acting (vets can re-use lines), new movesets (vets can re-use theirs) and new animation ideas (vets already have this planned out).

People will see Wonder Red and wonder who the heck he is, and it won't really be a successful DLC. Especially since I doubt we get many new comers as DLC, having Wonder Red, a character nobody has heard of, be one of those few characters will upset people.

Unless the new comer is a very strong character, I just don't see them having any chance at all.

RomanceDawn

Well the one in Other M isn't the real Ridley. Just a failed clone.

Agreed. And of course the same can be said for DK.

Now how do you guys think Sakurai feels about all this? I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't present all that info, have there been times where he hasn't presented Smash info before? Remember how he addressed Mewtwo in that interview? It could be a mistranslation but his words were "...for some reason we promised Mewtwo..." I mean what the ef? We all know he goes through his burn out periods and then he rises again like some sort of phoenix but I wonder how his schedule is now? I have to imagine his days are shorter and that because the main game is out things are a little more at ease at the office. Then again Sakurai.

What do you guys think?

Soul Lab

DLC needs to sell. More so than characters in the regular roster, DLC characters need to basically be able to stand on their own and be popular enough to make it worth it. Veterans come pre-built with enough popularity to matter, but a new comer has to work for it. It's also hard because the costs to add a new comer would be a larger, as they require new voice acting (vets can re-use lines), new movesets (vets can re-use theirs) and new animation ideas (vets already have this planned out).

People will see Wonder Red and wonder who the heck he is, and it won't really be a successful DLC. Especially since I doubt we get many new comers as DLC, having Wonder Red, a character nobody has heard of, be one of those few characters will upset people.

Unless the new comer is a very strong character, I just don't see them having any chance at all.

Don't crush my dream pls. pls don't :(

this is true for every interesting newcomer choice, imo!

Actually, most of the characters that people wants won't be really something that sucessful.

Isaac, Wonder Red, King K Rool or Bayonetta. They aren't really successful.

I can see Ridley and Snake selling enough but both of these have serious problems besides their popularity.

That Inkling gif is amazing.

I'm really torn myself. SO MANY CHARACTERS I could choose from and I can only pick one (well I suppose there doesn't seem to be a limit, but what if they see duplicate entries and void them later?

I'm torn between Impa (SS/HW version), Inkling (but I feel like she'd be better for a whole new Smash), Mike Jones, Simon Belmont (to complete that Captain N family), Paper Mario, and even Rayman.

Anyone but Snake and Ridley though.

Actually, most of the characters that people wants won't be really something that sucessful.

Isaac, Wonder Red, King K Rool or Bayonetta. They aren't really successful.

I can see Ridley and Snake selling enough but both of these have serious problems besides their popularity.

Bayonetta and Ridley have no chance for reasons outside of popularity.

K Rool actually does stand a decent shot. He's always way high in popularity polls for Smash rosters, in all regions, consistently. He's a well known character from a beloved series that sells well.

He's basically the perfect candidate for a DLC New Comer. Dixie too.

Others would probably be Dark Samus, most Pokemon, Waluigi, Daisy, Toad/Captain Toad, and Simon Belmont.

A character from a game that barely sold anything and that most people don't really know can get into the Smash Roster. Just... not as DLC where they have to sell themselves based on the character, not being part of a larger roster.

Neiteio

I imagine part of Sakurai wants to work his networking/negotiating magic and make Snake work, if for no other reason than to have a "kept you waiting" reveal

Konami could even do it to snub Kojima, with a credit like "The character of Snake is property of Konami and was created by nobody worth mentioning"

Durden77

Unique means one of a kind, something can't be the most unique!

Also, I imagine any chance Snake had left Konami earlier this month.

"One of the most unique", I'm pretty sure the way I used it works fine.

Nintendo asked for a character I want to see, and I want to see Snake return. If anyone else does too, just vote for him. Don't think about all the behind the scenes bullshit. Just vote for him. Already two posts on this page about that stuff. Can't you just let us have our hope?

Snake as DLC makes a lot of sense, though. Nintendo has the ability to do what it takes to get Snake, and the ROI will absolutely be worth it for them.

Snake could very well end up as one of the best selling fighter DLCs ever made. The demand is just that high to have him back and I'm sure Nintendo and Konami can work something out.

They've pulled licensing miracles before (Sonic in Brawl, Earthbound on VC, DK64 on the VC), so I don't doubt for a minute if they really wanted to and saw that it would be highly successful, that they couldn't work something out.

Neiteio

When is MGSV coming out? Curious if a Snake reveal would work as a tie-in promo from Konami's pov (similar to Snake in Brawl building buzz for MGS4).

Neiteio

More I think about it, more I realize I want to vote for Snake. Guy was hilarious in Brawl. His very existence on the roster is joyful.

"One of the most unique", I'm pretty sure the way I used it works fine.

Nintendo asked for a character I want to see, and I want to see Snake return. If anyone else does too, just vote for him. Don't think about all the behind the scenes bullshit. Just vote for him. Already two posts on this page about that stuff. Can't you just let us have our hope?
It's like saying "one of the most bestest"

Frogstep

Threw in my vote for Wolf, cause he's a realistic character I can see happening. Also he's the only one missing from Brawl now, minus Snake, that I really wanted back.

Threw in my vote for Wolf, cause he's a realistic character I can see happening. Also he's the only one missing from Brawl now, minus Snake, that I really wanted back.

99% sure Wolf is already done and waiting for E3 to be announced with Star Fox U.

I wouldn't mind Squirtle from Brawl either. And I mean, at that point just add Ivysaur too. I think Snake would be great.

You know what, bring them all back. There's only 5 of them (not counting YL). 2 of them are clones.

You can do this Sakurai!

It would be weird to have a small playable Ridley when there's already a huge Ridley as stage hazard.

You have exactly the same example already in the game. Donkey Kong is playable and theres a stage with a huge original donkey kong.
You are maybe saying now, but they are not the same character, one is Cranky and playable was the old DK jr.
And is still the exactly same thing with Ridley. He is just a future clone with the same mind.
We could still have super metroid/zero mission ridley that has a much smaller scale just like he appears in the melee intro and it would be a different character, because it would be an older clone or the original.

wait a second

we should all be voting for inklings

nLLvJ8m.gif

Hahaha, thats great.

Im sure if inklings are not part of the DLC they are going to be in the next smash, Im even puting my money that they are one of the newcomers showed in its first trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom