• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

You can't bring up Pichu, K. Rool, Isaac, Daisy, Waluigi, Shantae, or Shovel Knight without starting some kind of war. Even the Chorus Kids are a touchy subject.

Wolf, Dixie Kong, and Inkling are probably the least contentious among the popular characters. I don't think the masses would be upset to see those three -- they're generally understood to be important, deserving characters. There's also Snake, but there are still some people who don't think he fits Smash Bros.

K. Rool is not real contentious, its just some people who yell that he won't get in and that he's an ugly rare character. But if you put in Dixie and not him then people will definitely be upset there.

Maybe you should just be happy we're getting DLC at all

I get disappointment about your favorite character not being selected but goddamn

You people can be pathological

Come on don't play that card. What is wrong with wanting the best we can get out of what limited stuff we will get? Not just "YAAAAY WE GOT SOMETHIIIIING!"?

Azure J

That's quite true.

RIP Playable Status. At least, I have good luck to summoned him in my battles, and always aid me to my victories!

bDmSjNm.jpg

Crayolan

There will be some drama from who ever is chosen from the ballot but I am sure that whoever it is, people will yell about how amazing the character is until any one who is upset at the chosen ones is silenced, as is usual with Smash fans

Way to twist reality. Some people like some characters and some people don't. Eventually time passes and people stop caring enough to yell on forums about it. Just cause people aren't still whining about some year old thing they don't like doesn't mean they were "silenced."

Sorry that was not a sh*tpost! But hypothetically does any one think there are characters who could of been chosen that all the message boards will not go out of the way to say "they did not win fan polls but who cares they are amazing in every way so don't ever be unhappy?"? I know NeoGaf for certain would not shed a tear if the final DLC was Pichu and Shovel Knight and Chorus Kids, and nothing more.

Lol, okay. I'm not even sure if this is supposed to be a "gaf is a hivemind" post or "people in this thread=entirety of gaf's opinions on smash."

Like with anything, all those characters would make some people happy and some people upset.

I do not think this is a hive mind or anything - that is a dumb term that reddit should have never have popularized - but people are kidding if they think that any one thinks that people who are unhappy or mad with roster fighters are tolerated at all. Any posts not happy with the Smash roster is browbeaten (sp.?) pretty bad actually

Its a flow chart of sorts:
1. Fighters revealed with a handful of weird picks and big snubs
2. People react, happy with the good picks and unhappy or mad at the sub par ones
3. People treat the happy reactions as business as usual
4. People treat the unhappy or mad ones as sacrilege and yell at those people and call them mean names like entitled or crybaby or what ever, or try to use guilt to say that Sakurai worked hard so do not say any thing bad
5. Those people feel like their feelings are not valid just because they are not super happy

It just rubs me wrong. In like two weeks if I do not like Shovel Knight then why should I stay quiet just because? People respond that complaining won't change him from being in game but it may effect the future and the characters they choose, so talking open forum style should be a good thing, yeah? Legit wondering here not trying to spark angry posts :s

There is a huge difference between expressing disappointment and moving on, and holding a weird personal grudge because you were displeased about a character that wasn't included.

There are a couple of fanbases with a really upsetting sense of persecution, and it's just so odd.

Crayolan

I do not think this is a hive mind or anything - that is a dumb term that reddit should have never have popularized - but people are kidding if they think that any one thinks that people who are unhappy or mad with roster fighters are tolerated at all. Any posts not happy with the Smash roster is browbeaten (sp.?) pretty bad actually

Its a flow chart of sorts:
1. Fighters revealed with a handful of weird picks and big snubs
2. People react, happy with the good picks and unhappy or mad at the sub par ones
3. People treat the happy reactions as business as usual
4. People treat the unhappy or mad ones as sacrilege and yell at those people and call them mean names like entitled or crybaby or what ever, or try to use guilt to say that Sakurai worked hard so do not say any thing bad
5. Those people feel like their feelings are not valid just because they are not super happy

It just rubs me wrong. In like two weeks if I do not like Shovel Knight then why should I stay quiet just because? People respond that complaining won't change him from being in game but it may effect the future and the characters they choose, so talking open forum style should be a good thing, yeah? Legit wondering here not trying to spark angry posts :s

This has less to do with Smash in specific and more to do with negative opinions on the internet in general. Of course dissenting opinions are going to be questioned. That's just how things tend to work. And of course more positive opinions are going to be discussed in the end, because no one with a negative opinion of something cares enough to discuss as it as long as those people with positive opinions.

If you don't like a character, you don't have to be silent about your dislike, but you also shouldn't just constantly complain for the sake of complaining.

Also I don't know why on earth you'd think a "Pichu is the final DLC character for Smash 4" thread would go over well.

There is a huge difference between expressing disappointment and moving on, and holding a weird personal grudge because you were displeased about a character that wasn't included.

There are a couple of fanbases with a really upsetting sense of persecution, and it's just so odd.

Oh I understand what you're referring to then. It's just you were making broad strokes, so. :c

What could've been:

What we got instead:

kirby_fox

Banned
You people can be pathological

All of your faves will never make it in so mine can instead!
Too bad all the characters I like as characters are already in, so I'd be happy for your faves to get in now...

Yeah I feel like Excitebiker is almost an inevitability at some point. Him and a handful of other NES Action Series characters (Balloon Fighter and to a lesser extent Urban Champion and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land) are all from really well-known games and I feel like at some point they're just going to happen. Maybe not many people are clamoring for them, but I don't think anyone would be able to complain about them either.

For some reason I thought Bubbles would have made an awesome character. And then I saw the game she was from, and I didn't think it would transfer over well.

Mach Rider I think would be interesting as a classic character....also I want a gritty 80's action movie black comedy revival of that series with a female lead, so I'd be down if that happened.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What we got instead:

JTWWEob.png

Look at his beautiful duck bill! How could you say that to his face like that? Also look at how gnarling those teeth, and his eyes! Look at those flexible muscles arms, and his stance and claws reminded me of Licker from Resident Evil. Come on, he would strike the fear in everyone's hearts when we saw him dropping by on our stage.

Ridley is so perfect for stage hazard so he's the best stage hazard ever in Smash franchise!

mind you. I'm being sarcastic

Yeah I feel like Excitebiker is almost an inevitability at some point. Him and a handful of other NES Action Series characters (Balloon Fighter and to a lesser extent Urban Champion and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land) are all from really well-known games and I feel like at some point they're just going to happen. Maybe not many people are clamoring for them, but I don't think anyone would be able to complain about them either.

I don't think we'll ever get Excitebiker, but given the pattern of stages of classic NES games, I imagine we'll get an Excitebiker stage sometime down the road.

I wonder how that would work.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eh, Ridley has always been an ugly mofo. I actually liked the Other M design if only because he didn't look like he was gonna snap in two from a hug.

I'm getting paranoid we're only getting that Mario Maker stage next update. Whoever it was saying as great as the E3 update was they should've spread the character releases out thinner was absolutely on the money.

I think we might hear more on Sunday (our time), Monday morning (Japan time).

Seems like an appropriate time to start multi-day Mii hat reveals, maybe with some other stuff thrown in.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm getting paranoid we're only getting that Mario Maker stage next update. Whoever it was saying as great as the E3 update was they should've spread the character releases out thinner was absolutely on the money.

Just wait for two more hours! Or end of Monday! I'm not optimistic about it anyway.

What a bizarre time for the update.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (online play and leaderboards)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (online play and leaderboards)

The maintenance will take place on:

– Europe: September 30th (7.30AM to 9AM)
– UK: September 30th (6.30AM to 8AM)
– North America (EDT): September 30th (1.30AM to 3AM)
– North America (PDT): September 29th (10.30PM) to September 30th (12AM)
– Japan: September 30th (2.30PM to 4PM)

Middle of the night in the US lol

This leads me to believe it might be fairly large. Middle of the night in Smash's largest region means the eShop won't completely die and the patch servers won't be overloaded. They can gradually roll it out without worrying about alienating entire regions.

This is the same time as when Mewtwo was released (well, about 2 hours earlier than Mewtwo).

kirby_fox

Banned
This maintenance is tied to an announced update though, so we can hype it up.

It's a stage so far. Don't get too hyped, or we'll have really high expectations again.

I think it's ok if we only expect Shovel Knight, Layton, Snake, Wolf, Pichu, and Ice Climbers with a Splatoon stage and 16 Mii costumes...beyond that though, we're getting too hyped.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yep. Pretty much.

I wonder if they push characters dlc into Star Fox's void during November?

Seems kind of pointless since the same crowd isn't necessarily going to buy one over the other. Also pretty sure SMM is going to be a huge push for rest of the year no matter when Star Fox came out.

The weekend coming up, I can't wait for all the fake rumors to pop up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, I just realized how arbitrary the "series separation" Yoshi is. I mean DK and Wario could get away, but Yoshi's own games still tie him back to Mario.

One of Yoshi's Smash 4 U stages is 100% a Mario Stage. Even Yoshi's 100% own stage has a bunch of Mario music on it.

Yoshi is probably only his own series because 64 was conservative with reps for series, and Yoshi's Story was a big Nintendo game at the time.

Yoshi's Island Melee being a Yoshi stage is basically just because of tradition at this point. It's completely a Mario stage. No more a Yoshi stage that Mario Galaxy, Delfino and Mushroom Kingdom U (all three also feature Yoshi in the same capacity as World). The music on it was Mario's credits music! And it was Bowser's home stage in Melee!

They even seem to have moved all of Yoshi's trophies to Mario, with characters like Baby Mario and Kamek being in the Mario category, while traditionally Baby Mario was a Yoshi trophy.

Eh, Ridley has always been an ugly mofo. I actually liked the Other M design if only because he didn't look like he was gonna snap in two from a hug.
Criticizing Ridley for being too gaunt is like criticizing Kraid for being too fat.

You know, I just realized how arbitrary the "series separation" Yoshi is. I mean DK and Wario could get away, but Yoshi's own games still tie him back to Mario.
It probably helps that he was introduced in SSB64 where all of the eight starting characters had their own symbol and it came out during the time in which Yoshi's series was still a priority for Nintendo instead of the red-headed step child it was for the past decade and a half. But Yoshi definitely has his own series, but at the same time he is still definitely a core Mario character unlike Wario and Donkey Kong. He's in an odd position in that respect so that's why it doesn't really bother me that he's inserted among the Mario characters on the character select screens.

Yeah Wario only gets away with it because Warioware. And DK because, well, he came first, as well as DKC.

Won't Woolly World be the first Yoshi platformer with no Baby Mario? At least I think WW doesn't have Babies in it.

Ryce

Yoshi's biggest appearances post-Brawl have been New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and New Super Mario Bros. U. He's a mainline Super Mario character who happens to have his own series on the side. He's definitely in a unique position there, but I still don't like that he disrupts the proper mushroom Mario characters on the select screen. It's just really sloppy, but the select screen in general is in such a state of disrepair that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Won't Woolly World be the first Yoshi platformer with no Baby Mario? At least I think WW doesn't have Babies in it.
I don't think Baby Mario is in Yoshi's Story.

I honestly wouldn't even be opposed to separating characters more like Yoshi and Wario.

Giving Bowser and Jr their own icon. Rosalina a new icon. Maybe Doc. Stuff like that.

It would help break the stages up a bit more so there isn't a huge block of Mario stages, they'd be broken into different sections, like Yoshi's Island Melee is a Mario stage, but technically not. Mario Galaxy could be a "Mario Galaxy" series stage.

I don't think Baby Mario is in Yoshi's Story.
He's only mentioned in a passing comment by Baby Bowser at the very end. Oddly, Kamek isn't in Yoshi's Story either, which is the bigger omission.

I honestly wouldn't even be opposed to separating characters more like Yoshi and Wario.

Giving Bowser and Jr their own icon. Rosalina a new icon. Maybe Doc. Stuff like that.

It would help break the stages up a bit more so there isn't a huge block of Mario stages, they'd be broken into different sections, like Yoshi's Island Melee is a Mario stage, but technically not. Mario Galaxy could be a "Mario Galaxy" series stage.

Yeah, Bowser and Jr. could have the Bowser face logo and Rosie could have a Grand Star. Doc could be a virus or a capsule.

Honestly at that point I'd give Luigi a Luigi's Mansion logo.

But then it'd be weird for Mario and Peach to be the only "Mario" characters haha

SaikyoBro

I think separating characters like that makes sense in some cases and not much in others. Like, Dr. Mario having a pill emblem and his own victory theme would make perfect sense (I don't know if there's a single reference to the super mushroom in any Dr. Mario game), but I don't think Galaxy is distinct enough from the other Mario games to warrant Rosalina having a unique series emblem. I've seen the suggestion of Tingle getting in as a representative of his own series as well, which I think would be okay.

Ryce

There are already a few series inconsistencies in the game. The Viruses trophy is in the Other section, even though Dr. Mario is considered a Super Mario character. The Golden Hammer is considered a Super Mario item, even though Wrecking Crew has its own icon in this game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well to be fair, since Brawl, the stages are labeled specifically for their origins, so even in the Mario stages block, the Galaxy stage is still specifically pointed out as such.

But man, that really, really odd feeling of that one Star Fox Assault stage not feeling like SFA at all, while the "general" Star Fox stage gets the Assault feeling right.

I do not care a lot about the icons but if all the characters had unique victory musics like the data in Brawl says there were going to, that would be grand. Bowser was a good start in this game but that was probably just cause they were adding Koopalings and having them all have this jolly orchestral music for Mario would be offputting.

Those origins are inconsistent and wrong a lot of the times.

Hyrule Castle which is basically a cleaned up model rip from Ocarina of Time with Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time in the background? lol nope, from "The Legend of Zelda Series"

Port Town ripped directly from GX. From the "F-Zero Series"

Temple specifically from and referencing Zelda II. From the "Legend of Zelda Series"

And one of my favorites. Peach's Castle, clearly from Mario 64. From "The Super Mario Series" except the logo is the Mario 64 Logo, they just removed the 64 out of it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom