• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I have a handful of Mii costume expectations:

• A third generic outfit in the vein of the T-shirt and hoodie — maybe pajamas?
  • An outfit for an in-game Brawler since we’ve gotten Link (Swordfighter) and Samus (Gunner) outfits — maybe Captain Falcon?
  • Tom Nook holding a bell bag gun — Tom Nook, K.K. Slider, and Isabelle are Animal Crossing’s “big three”
  • Mega Man Volnutt, Star Force Mega Man, and maybe Bass outfits — the other in-game Mega Man models have been turned into costumes
  • Assist Trophies and other non-playable models seem to adapt well to Mii costumes, so Doc Louis (Brawler), Tingle (Brawler), Ghirahim (Swordfighter), Samurai Goroh (Swordfighter), Takamaru (Swordfighter), Prince of Sablé (Swordfighter), Dark Samus (Gunner), and Saki Amamiya (Gunner) all seem plausible

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm expecting to see an Isaac costume for the Mii Swordfighter.

This is the same one I expect as well.

There better be one. Heck, I would be fine with it being condolence prize for myself.

FXCefnO.jpg

I have a handful of Mii costume expectations:

• A third generic outfit in the vein of the T-shirt and hoodie — maybe pajamas?
  • An outfit for an in-game Brawler since we’ve gotten Link (Swordfighter) and Samus (Gunner) outfits — maybe Captain Falcon?
  • Tom Nook holding a bell bag gun — Tom Nook, K.K. Slider, and Isabelle are Animal Crossing’s “big three”
  • Mega Man Volnutt, Star Force Mega Man, and maybe Bass outfits — the other in-game Mega Man models have been turned into costumes
  • Assist Trophies and other non-playable models seem to adapt well to Mii costumes, so Doc Louis (Brawler), Tingle (Brawler), Ghirahim (Swordfighter), Samurai Goroh (Swordfighter), Takamaru (Swordfighter), Prince of Sablé (Swordfighter), Dark Samus (Gunner), and Saki Amamiya (Gunner) all seem plausible

I would rather to see them reuse Takamaru Mii Costume from NintendoLand. Edited: Eh, never mind. I just saw picture of it. I'm not sure anymore now.

Edited: I wouldn't be surprised if we are going to see Ken Mii Costume and Chun Li Mii Costume for Mii Fighter

Nia

I voted for characters that will likely never get in, but I don't care. They asked me to vote for characters I want, and that's what I did. I hope whoever gets in at the end of this will be a fun addition.

Yeah and people bitching Why Would Any One Vote For That Character are dumb. It's a game ballot! Have fun with this thing!

It is so hype to think we might have some thing completely new and unexpected for a character or stage come this time next week.

Sakurai on character selection

His four rules
1. The character must display personality in their game

2. It’s important to have something only that character can do.

3. Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration

4. Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration.

Four is the big one we argue about a lot. So it seems there really is some "this series deserves more reps" thing going on.

Also the Pokemon are a little iffy on 1 and 2. Other than maybe Mewtwo and Pikachu.

Also this might apply to K Rool, but seems more about Waluigi.
There are some characters that can’t join the battle, even if they meet the qualifications.

"Can't" is probably reserved for characters like Master Chief who can't be added to the game because they belong to competitors. K. Rool was obviously not a priority for the base roster due to a lack of recent appearances, but the ballot has proven that relevancy doesn't matter to fans. If K. Rool doesn't get in now, then Sakurai just has a bias against the character.

It's pretty clear that franchise distribution is taken into account, but Sakurai cares about certain franchises more than others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kirby_fox

Banned
"Can't" is probably reserved for characters like Master Chief who can't be added to the game because they belong to competitors. K. Rool was obviously not a priority for the base roster due to a lack of recent appearances, but the ballot has proven that relevancy doesn't matter to fans. If K. Rool doesn't get in now, then Sakurai just has a bias against the character.

Bias. Yep, that's why...only you Gonzo :p

I think the issue with K Rool is trying to make him play differently. When I look at the game, characters for the most part need to be played a certain way and even with clones you can't play everyone the same. I feel like a lot of fans want him to be like Bowser with new specials, and that's what is holding him back. The move sets I've seen really give me that image.

I think a neat thing only he could have done would be changing his play style. Changing from standard to Kaptain and the mad scientist and having his moves slightly change to incorporate stuff. Changing standard moves has yet to be done with a character.

Crayolan

Sakurai discusses creating a ‘marketing slogan’ for each fighter. Here are some examples:

Marth: Elegant Fencer
Lucina: Female Elegant Fencer
Pit: Dual-Sword Wielding Angel
Dark Pit: Dark Dual-Sword Wielding Angel

Seems about right

It's pretty clear that franchise distribution is taken into account, but Sakurai cares about certain franchises more than others. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Did we already get ballot results?

Bias. Yep, that's why...only you Gonzo :p

I think the issue with K Rool is trying to make him play differently. When I look at the game, characters for the most part need to be played a certain way and even with clones you can't play everyone the same. I feel like a lot of fans want him to be like Bowser with new specials, and that's what is holding him back. The move sets I've seen really give me that image.

I think a neat thing only he could have done would be changing his play style. Changing from standard to Kaptain and the mad scientist and having his moves slightly change to incorporate stuff. Changing standard moves has yet to be done with a character.

Pros:

- He's popular
- He has a plethora of moveset options
- He has a distinct personality
- He's a heavyweight
- He's a villain
- He's a Donkey Kong rep

Cons:

- "He's ugly!"
- Hasn't appeared in Donkey Kong game since 2007

If he still isn't included by the time Smash 5 rolls around, then yes, Sakurai has a bias against the character.

I like how only heavyweights are trivialized as "Bowser clones" yet nobody ever complains about there being too many medium sized characters of which there are over twenty. K. Rool doesn't even have claws in his original design! Other than the fact that they are both large reptiles, the two characters share nothing in common. K. Rool is unique in that he is a heavyweight who relies on gadgets and projectiles rather than brute strength. He's a dirty fighter who tries to deceive his opponents by playing dead. One idea I had was to make K. Rool the first character who can cancel out of taunts with other attacks. If Sakurai is incapable of coming up with a proper moveset for K. Rool, that's not the character's fault.

Did we already get ballot results?

No, but we now know that K. Rool isn't "worthless and irrelevant" like some of the people here liked to parrot pre-release.

You're going to get another samey Fire Emblem character and you're going to like it, dammit.

Star Fox shrinking? Seems like someone is spitting on Metroid fans from a tall building? Treating F-Zero about as well as Nintendo does? Just straight up forgot about Donkey Kong? Nope, Fire Emblem time.

PK Gaming

1. The character must display personality in their game

Oh dang, I guess that explains why Ridley keeps getting snubbed!

You're going to get another samey Fire Emblem character and you're going to like it, dammit.

Star Fox shrinking? Seems like someone is spitting on Metroid fans from a tall building? Treating F-Zero about as well as Nintendo does? Just straight up forgot about Donkey Kong? Nope, Fire Emblem time.

I mean you're mostly right, but Robin's inclusion basically makes up for the hilarious imbalance.

Honestly those reasons are kinda true, but I think the biggest factor is just straight up whether or not Sakurai thinks it's a good idea.

His whimsy seems to be a factor. And I say this as a past supporter of a character Sakurai straight up said wouldn't fit in the game.

Pros:

- He's popular
- He has a plethora of moveset options
- He has a distinct personality
- He's a heavyweight
- He's a villain
- He's a Donkey Kong rep

Cons:

- "He's ugly!"
- Hasn't appeared in Donkey Kong game since 2007

If he still isn't included by the time Smash 5 rolls around, then yes, Sakurai has a bias against the character.

I like how only heavyweights are trivialized as "Bowser clones" yet nobody ever complains about there being too many medium sized characters of which there are over twenty. K. Rool doesn't even have claws in his original design! Other than the fact that they are both large reptiles, the two characters share nothing in common. K. Rool is unique in that he is a heavyweight who relies on gadgets and projectiles rather than brute strength. He's a dirty fighter who tries to deceive his opponents by playing dead. One idea I had was to make K. Rool the first character who can cancel out of taunts with other attacks. If Sakurai is incapable of coming up with a proper moveset for K. Rool, that's not the character's fault.

No, but we now know that K. Rool isn't "worthless and irrelevant" like some of the people here liked to parrot pre-release.
How do we know he isn't worthless and irrelevant? I feel like I missed something.

He's pretty much DK's Bowser. It's like if Nintendo just dropped Bowser from the Mario games and suddenly he was ugly and worthless.

See to some extent I agree but I don't think the comparison is that cut and dry.

I certainly think K. Rool is a great contender and a cool character, but him being "so obvious if he's not in then Sakurai bias" is kinda silly considering how many characters are in the race.

kirby_fox

Banned
I like how only heavyweights are trivialized as "Bowser clones" yet nobody ever complains about there being too many medium sized characters of which there are over twenty. K. Rool doesn't even have claws in his original design! Other than the fact that they are both large reptiles, the two characters share nothing in common.

I'm basing this simply on fan created movesets, mind you-- but a lot of them seem to have his play-style be a bit of other characters. You have him with boxing gloves (Little Mac), biting (Wario, Charizard, Bowser) and using gadgets to control the screen (Mega Man, Duck Hunt). A possible conclusion I was making is that Sakurai feels like K Rool can be done with other characters then, and nothing he does is unique. I usually use Bowser, because a lot of the standard attacks I've seen are similar to his in this fan suggestions.

I still think there's a moveset that would make him feel unique, but no one has created it yet-- and that's the problem. It's also the issue I have with Dixie-- way too similar in play to Diddy and that's including her specials.

Try doing that marketing line that Sakurai does and apply it to K Rool. I'd actually like to see a suggestion for that line, maybe I can envision a better play style that way.

Sponge

Banned
See to some extent I agree but I don't think the comparison is that cut and dry.

I certainly think K. Rool is a great contender and a cool character, but him being "so obvious if he's not in then Sakurai bias" is kinda silly considering how many characters are in the race.

I honestly feel Dixie and even Cranky seem a bit more obvious than K. Rool just because they've returned in recent games. I like K. Rool, and we need more villians, but Dixie and Cranky just make more sense to me getting in first.

Kinda sucks most people think Dixie would be a Diddy clone :/. I'm positive they could make her pretty different from him.

It's also the issue I have with Dixie-- way too similar in play to Diddy and that's including her specials.

Yep. There it is. Dixie could pretty much be Diddy's Luigi. Different enough to justify the inclusion.

I honestly feel Dixie and even Cranky seem a bit more obvious than K. Rool just because they've returned in recent games. I like K. Rool, and we need more villians, but Dixie and Cranky just make more sense to me getting in first.

Kinda sucks most people think Dixie would be a Diddy clone :/. I'm positive they could make her pretty different from him.

Yep. There it is. Dixie could pretty much be Diddy's Luigi. Different enough to justify the inclusion.

I was literally about to post that last part. Take Dixie and make her from Diddy's skeleton but change her up a good bit. I feel like that'd be superb.

Ryce

I'm basing this simply on fan created movesets, mind you-- but a lot of them seem to have his play-style be a bit of other characters. You have him with boxing gloves (Little Mac), biting (Wario, Charizard, Bowser) and using gadgets to control the screen (Mega Man, Duck Hunt). A possible conclusion I was making is that Sakurai feels like K Rool can be done with other characters then, and nothing he does is unique. I usually use Bowser, because a lot of the standard attacks I've seen are similar to his in this fan suggestions.

I still think there's a moveset that would make him feel unique, but no one has created it yet-- and that's the problem. It's also the issue I have with Dixie-- way too similar in play to Diddy and that's including her specials.

Try doing that marketing line that Sakurai does and apply it to K Rool. I'd actually like to see a suggestion for that line, maybe I can envision a better play style that way.
I don’t think K. Rool is going to be playable, but move set potential isn’t an issue. Let’s not pretend like each character is 100% unique in every way. If Villager, Bowser Jr., and Little Mac can all use boxing gloves then so can K. Rool.

K. Rool could easily be marketed as a “slapstick technologist,” which is much different than Bowser’s depiction as a fire-breathing, shell-spinning pro wrestler. K. Rool could use his blunderbuss to suck in nearby items and spit them back out at high speeds. He’d also throw his crown, and he could lay out electric land mines. He’d probably use a propeller pack as his recovery. He could also have some kind of rage mechanic where his eye grows and pulsates as he takes damage, giving him super armor or something.

Dr. Buni

Do you guys think we could get a clone or two if they finish all the other DLC characters before schedule?
I wouldn't mind one or two new clones, as long as they aren't more Fire Emblem characters.
Kinda sucks most people think Dixie would be a Diddy clone :/. I'm positive they could make her pretty different from him..
Just shows how many Smash fans are ignorant towards the DK series. Dixie has so much potential for an unique moveset.

What?

Smash is basically the only thing F-Zero has left where it's still actively being used. Besides Mario Kart cameos.
An exaggeration, but taking the Wii U version on its own, F-Zero is essentially living on fumes in Smash, with literally the only new F-Zero stuff in it is a single, redundant remix of a song that's already been remixed twice before.

EDIT: Concerning Dixie, here we have a character who is known for fighting with her hair and the common complaint about her is that she isn't unique enough. Yeah, okay people.

Ryce

I doubt Dixie would be a clone. Diddy and Dixie were originally designed as a tag team in Brawl. That gimmick wouldn’t have a ton of appeal if both characters had similar move sets. I’m sure a standalone Dixie character would pull heavily from whatever Sakurai had planned for Brawl.

Diddy = acrobatics
Dixie = weaponized ponytail (grabbing, slapping, spinning, poking, etc.)

PK Gaming

Yeah, it'd be pretty easy to differentiate Dixie from Diddy. She has personality, the vaunted "female character!!!" attribute and plenty of material to work with. And yet...

I still want KKR over her.

I doubt Dixie would be a clone. Diddy and Dixie were originally designed as a tag team in Brawl. That gimmick wouldn’t have a ton of appeal if both characters had similar move sets. I’m sure a standalone Dixie character would pull heavily from whatever Sakurai had planned for Brawl.

Diddy = acrobatics

She definitely wouldn't be a clone in the sense of Falco, Ganondorf, etc in Melee, but I do get the feeling Sakurai would use Diddy as a base and build upon her from there on, much like Wolf and Lucas in Brawl.

NeonZ

Diddy = acrobatics

They both would be small sized acrobatic characters. Dixie's moveset itself could be fairly different from Diddy's, due to the focus on her hair, but her unique gameplay gimmicks like spinning attacks or hovering would already be taken by other characters.

She wouldn't be a clone (in fact, due to her lack of a tail, she can't even be a clone), but I can see how she'd add little to the game. At least, if she doesn't have the tag team mechanic that was cut from Brawl. Without that, she's in a situation similar to Chrom's.

Sponge

Banned
They both would be small sized acrobatic characters. Dixie's moveset itself could be fairly different from Diddy's, due to the focus on her hair, but her unique gameplay gimmicks like spinning attacks or hovering would already be taken by other characters.

She wouldn't be a clone (in fact, due to her lack of a tail, she can't even be a clone), but I can see how she'd add little to the game.

She could potentially share having a popgun, too. It would shoot bubblegum instead peanuts though. There's room to make that popgun work different than Diddy's.

LdViUtZ.png

Ryce

She wouldn't be a clone (in fact, due to her lack of a tail, she can't even be a clone), but I can see how she'd add little to the game. At least, if she doesn't have the tag team mechanic that was cut from Brawl. Without that, she's in a situation similar to Chrom's.
Chrom was "just another swordsman," but Dixie would be the first of her kind. Who else in Smash Bros. attacks primarily with their hair? That's a very visually distinctive fighting style.

Platy

LAST WEEK TO VOTE !

As a reminder, people NEED to vote for the GameFaqs Character Battle Winner of 2007, The L BLOCK !

dEZYJo8.jpg

(pictured one of it's fans)

Only songs representing the BEST GAME EVER the reason the game boy is THE GAME BOY .... it needs a character representation !

If you think a third party character would be complicated so vote on the first GAME Nintendo ever made !
The one that STARTED IT ALL !

ZD3QSv5.png

The HANAFUDA DECK OF CARDS !

Also, having a hanafuda deck of cards as playable character can be the only way to include the Love Hotels that Nintendo started doing bussiness .... as the Hanafuda Stage !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom