• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Gamer is awesome. And this is coming from somebody who thinks Orbital Assault, Flat Zone X, and Great Cave Offensive are a complete waste of space that never should have made it past the planning stage.

Flat Zone X is only bad since it's lazy, but the original concept for the Flat Zone stage is still one of the greatest stages in Smash history (alongside Mr Game & Watch being one of the cleverest fighters).

Scheduled maintenance downtime and the time of the update don't necessarily indicate anything. You're waaaay overthinking this.

I don't think I am. There's little reason to block out an hour and a half to upload one stage file and add it to the list of random stages that can show up online. They've done two of those, plus added a whole new online mode in less than a half hour. After the chaos of the eShop after E3, releasing bigger items in the middle of the night makes total sense.

It's hard to show off what doesn't exist. We probably aren't getting any more Mii costumes until the next wave.
There basically has to be Mii Hats. They're so trivial, I wouldn't be surprised if they offset a lot of the costs of shipping DLC.

The Mario Maker stage might have been intended to release with the mysterious stage 4 at a later date.

It was probably announced early to coincide with Nintendo of Japan’s “Today’s Super Mario Maker” video campaign, which started in August and ended a few weeks ago. The penultimate video in the series was the Smash Bros. DLC video.

Then why wait three weeks to release it?

You even have doubts this is everything
In trying to rationalize the release of the Mario Maker stage by itself, I keep coming back to this quote from Sakurai:

Given how arduous the process of downloading DLC can be (especially for players in Japan), would Sakurai really push out an update that contains just a single stage?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They developed just one Mii hat. A special commemorative end of the ballot hat that says: "I only voted once in the ballot".

Then they realised there was no one to give it to.

Flat Zone X is only bad since it's lazy, but the original concept for the Flat Zone stage is still one of the greatest stages in Smash history (alongside Mr Game & Watch being one of the cleverest fighters).

Totally agree. I like the original Flat Zone from Melee just fine. Flat Zone 2 and Flat Zone X are terrible though.

Mr. Game & Watch got me to try those Game & Watch Gallery games and I ended up really liking those old school games. If you guys haven't tried those, you really should!

I have doubts, but I also realize that we might just get the Mario Maker stage by itself. It seems like you're trying your hardest to set yourself up for disappointment.

I don't really get crushed by DLC not meeting my anticipation. I've been speculating and hyping updates for various games since the early years of TF2 updates, so when the best case scenario doesn't happen (which it rarely does), I'm a little disappointed, but more at a lack of proper communication than anything.

Smash DLC is nothing compared to some of the stuff Valve pulls with update hype. And people think Sakurai is a troll, woo boy.

Neoxon

It's just far too late for us to get our hopes up. I mean, I'd love to have more than just the Super Mario Maker stage, but that doesn't look to be the case for the September 30th update. The extended maintenance time is probably to account for the randomized elements of the Super Mario Maker stage.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A few people starting to accept reality.

Starting? I already expected the possibility that MArio Maker stage is more likely to be only thing we might get. Most of people already expected that too yesterday or couple days ago.

Time for you to get off the high horse, guy.

It's just far too late for us to get our hopes up. I mean, I'd love to have more than just the Super Mario Maker stage, but that doesn't look to be the case for the September 30th update. The extended maintenance time is probably to account for the randomized elements of the Super Mario Maker stage.

The server doesn't care how complex a stage is, they just upload a map file. Unless it's something like Miiverse, which actually uses server calls.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't really get crushed by DLC not meeting my anticipation. I've been speculating and hyping updates for various games since the early years of TF2 updates, so when the best case scenario doesn't happen (which it rarely does), I'm a little disappointed, but more at a lack of proper communication than anything.

Smash DLC is nothing compared to some of the stuff Valve pulls with update hype. And people think Sakurai is a troll, woo boy.

That don't meant you could try to overhype it for nothing. It's same thing that you did for a simple mainatence schedule.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait didn't Brawl have Tamer? It's been a while since I've played Brawl. I might be remembering things incorrectly.

Brawl has Tamer, but it's quite easy to avoid. Same with Oil Panic. It's Chef that's annoying because he moves around while taking up a bulk of the screen and throws projectiles.

Melee was just boring.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mr. Game & Watch got me to try those Game & Watch Gallery games and I ended up really liking those old school games. If you guys haven't tried those, you really should!

G&WG2 was one of my first GBC games. Helmet incidentally was one of my favourite titles in it so unlocking FlatZone, which was based on this title, was a Godsend.

Was hoping for G&WG music for the FlatZone stages, but it wasn't to be.

Brawl has Tamer, but it's quite easy to avoid. Same with Oil Panic. It's Chef that's annoying because he moves around while taking up a bulk of the screen and throws projectiles.

Melee was just boring.

Tamer is avoidable in 1 on 1. With four people it becomes a catastrophe. Between that and Chef I consider it unplayable. Just my take though.

Melee was boring, but at least the stage didn't try and make me into a punching bag. That makes it okay in my book. I really like the Game & Watch games, so I'm bummed that the Wii U stage isn't of very good quality.

G&WG2 was one of my first GBC games. Helmet incidentally was one of my favourite titles in it so unlocking FlatZone, which was based on this title, was a Godsend.

Was hoping for G&WG music for the FlatZone stages, but it wasn't to be.

Helmet is one of my favorites too. Fire, Octopus, Chef, Mario's Cement Factory and Mario Bros are my other favorites. I love how expressive the characters are in the G&W games. It really adds a lot, and makes them more special imo.

Boss Doggie

Ehh, just avoid the sides of the middle stage. Not that hard to do even in 4v4. And this is me, a guy who always plays vs 4 with items on.

Boss Doggie

And it just dawned me that GaW series is barely repped in the game, at least according to many people here on how they factor representation. Only MrGaW and a stage, and a music. Most are trophies.

And it just dawned me that GaW series is barely repped in the game, at least according to many people here on how they factor representation. Only MrGaW and a stage, and a music. Most are trophies.

ROB has no stage, one song and 3 trophies on the Wii U and 2 on the 3DS.

In Brawl, he didn't even have his own trophy category. He was filed under "Other"

Game and Watch is lucky.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry.

then my apologies. I misinterpreted your comment as condescending!

I think you misinterpret me trying to make sense of fairly random release schedules, development time and PR as hype.

We don't really need to make any sense for random Smash maintenance, since it already happened several times in the past and we haven't go anything! :p

Wait what

the Melee Flat Zone stages were bad. In Brawl it's only the chef that is bad.

Most of my friends and I really enjoy both versions but I just wish that we could get both versions instead of merged stage.

So if I got my timezones right, the new character(s) will come out tonight before I goto sleep.

I'm so excited! Can't wait to see who it is!

Also good morning everyone on this epic day.

kirby_fox

Banned
We'll all give up at midnight, go to bed and wake up to the west coast freaking out.

They drop a bunch of characters, stages, costumes. It's insanity. No one leaves disappointed.

I don't actually believe this, but it would be awesome.

We'll all give up at midnight, go to bed and wake up to the west coast freaking out.

They drop a bunch of characters, stages, costumes. It's insanity. No one leaves disappointed.

I don't actually believe this, but it would be awesome.

I want to wake up and read the most popular posts on r/smashbros and see "Gameplay of Wolf, Shovel Knight and Pichu!" as the top post of the night.

And then call in sick

lol, we'll be lucky to get just one character, let alone three characters

Despite the release being so close, there's been relatively few fake leaks floating around.

I thought we'd have a Doctor Mario stage situation, where someone jumps in with a fake at the right place and time and rides the hype for a bit.

Zubz

Banned
Actually unlike some people I don't like Orbital Gate but not because it's not Great Fox 2.0 (I really hate this idea that Star Fox stages should only be in the Great Fox - this is why I laugh because the best Star Fox stage isn't even on the Great Fox).

No, I hate it for two things - first, the stage has terrible dynamics. I don't mind if the platform of the stage changes, but the way how OGA handles it is terrible. The transitions are all so sudden without notification on where the other platforms will appear. I wouldn't mind it if we get Great Fox -> Missile -> Arwings -> repeat if they don't cycle so abruptly. You'd think that with cycling tour stages they'd have the hang of it, but for some odd reason they failed doing it.

Second, well... it's an Assault stage in name only. Holy shit, the dialog and the voice over doesn't feel like something from Assault. Compare that to Lylat Cruise which, despite not being specifically set in Assault, has snippets from the game and feels like it belongs there. The lines themselves are atrocious compared to how LC did it.

It's sad, because apparently it took them a year to do this stage.

I know. The cycle changes are not telegraphed, it's easy to just fall off of the missile/Arwings, and everything just moves way too fast! It's hands-down the best looking stage, but of course they had to make it one of the worst to compensate for it. The reign of Smashville's DS Graphics reigns supreme for another generation, I suppose.

A few people starting to accept reality.

The people that are aware we're just getting 1 stage have outnumbered the "Against the odds, we choose to hype" folks for awhile. Hell, I was going to post a link to "Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)" by Styx before I thought it was a dick move. So then I posted "Tha Crossroads" in honor of our fallen comrades. And it still wasn't appreciated. I've come to accept that, outside of video game music, you guys have no taste.

I'm fucking shaking come on Nintendo don't do this to me

I'm such a fragile little soul when it comes to Smash

Maybe they're just giving us Mario Maker early, and the rest of the pack will be released on time in mid-October. Again, I don't think anything else is coming on Wednesday, but that's hardly a bad thing.

Well, there's only maybe 10-11 hours left before they pretty much can't announce anything.

Unless they announce the update mid-maintenance, which would be kind of hilarious
I think its too late to announce the update beforehand. The character(s) will be announced mid maintenance or it'll just go up with no fanfare and a trailer will be shortly afterwards. This is it,Sakurai is finally going to be aboe to surprise us. Bet he's happy.

Despite the release being so close, there's been relatively few fake leaks floating around.

I thought we'd have a Doctor Mario stage situation, where someone jumps in with a fake at the right place and time and rides the hype for a bit.
Fake leakers already broke my heart enough with the Shovel Knight/Runbow leak. Don't tempt them to do it even more. D:

JCX

My wild pick that is probably better suited to Smash NX: Fighting Polygon Team. Comes in the male/female variants. All of his A and B moves would be randomized each stock. Would be the first full Smash fighter to originate from the Smash Bros series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My wild pick that is probably better suited to Smash NX: Fighting Polygon Team. Comes in the male/female variants. All of his A and B moves would be randomized each stock. Would be the first full Smash fighter to originate from the Smash Bros series.
Miis are basically Smash fighters already. Not only do they sport the Smash logo, they also have no moves originating from the Wii Sports or Wii Play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom