• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Miis are basically Smash fighters already. Not only do they sport the Smash logo, they also have no moves originating from the Wii Sports or Wii Play games.

The only thing the Miis are missing in that regard are Primid/Alloy/Polygon/Wireframe costumes. I know I've repeated it far too many times, but not including them has been a bizarre oversight, considering how well they'd lend themselves to the Mii archetypes, the ease of asset reuse and the sheer volume of Mii DLC costumes that have been produced so far. Would more people really buy that hideous flame T-shirt costume over fairly prominent original enemies from prior games?

I wonder why we can't unlock the Fighting Mii team costumes.

They're right there... ready to use. Except we can't.

What could possibly be the reason?

Seems like it would have been an easy challenge to concept. "Beat All Star on Hard with Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Sword Fighter" and there you go. You get all three costumes from one challenge.

Zubz

Banned
My wild pick that is probably better suited to Smash NX: Fighting Polygon Team. Comes in the male/female variants. All of his A and B moves would be randomized each stock. Would be the first full Smash fighter to originate from the Smash Bros series.

That'd be cool, honestly. That's how I wanted Ditto to play when I wanted it in Melee, myself.

Not counting Miis/ROB, though, I'd want a Primid for a Smash rep. SSE sucked, but the Primids had a generic charm to them.

The only thing the Miis are missing in that regard are Primid/Alloy/Polygon/Wireframe costumes. I know I've repeated it far too many times, but not including them has been a bizarre oversight, considering how well they'd lend themselves to the Mii archetypes, the ease of asset reuse and the sheer volume of Mii DLC costumes that have been produced so far. Would more people really buy that hideous flame T-shirt costume over fairly prominent original enemies from prior games?
...Oh my god that would be amazing. And it's so obvious! Why haven't they done that? I would buy a Fighting Polygon/Wireframe Mii Costume set in a heartbeat, and that's coming from someone who hasn't bought any of the Mii costumes yet due to them being a tad pricey for characters that aren't even available in regular online.

I wonder why we can't unlock the Fighting Mii team costumes.

They're right there... ready to use. Except we can't.

What could possibly be the reason?

Seems like it would have been an easy challenge to concept. "Beat All Star on Hard with Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Sword Fighter" and there you go. You get all three costumes from one challenge.
Because for whatever reason the Mii Fighters presence in Smash 4 was halfassed in all sorts of ways. I'm still super bitter about them not being usable in random online for no reason and them not showing up in All-Star Mode.

JCX

Miis are basically Smash fighters already. Not only do they sport the Smash logo, they also have no moves originating from the Wii Sports or Wii Play games.

i know, but I've wanted a Charade (Soul Calibur 2) type character in Smash for a while. Mii Fighter moves, while similar to other characters' moves, aren't exactly the same. They also only have the one Mii form, while FPT has all of the characters. Even if they only did it for the original 12, it'd be pretty cool.

Because for whatever reason the Mii Fighters presence in Smash 4 was halfassed in all sorts of ways. I'm still super bitter about them not being usable in random online for no reason and them not showing up in All-Star Mode.

You can also never random them and they never show up in Smash Tour.

On one hand they're treated 100% like unique fighters, and on the other, they're like some second class characters. It's stupid.

I don't like Orbital Gate, but I do like The Great Cave Offensive, Gamer, New Pork City and other extremely unpopular stages.

I think people are excited for Mario maker now but I have a good feeling people will hate on it like they do Orbital Gate before long. There seemed like such a welcoming feeling in the air when we got the full reveal. Then people played it and hated. At least the most vocal people here do.

I love that stage! Which is strange because I hate that game with a passion! The bombs, switching air crafts, etc, is so fun! Mind you I am a competitive player too. I've read that Orbital Gate(or is it Orbital Assault?) is too random and it's too easy to get killed by the stage. I really don't see that at all and welcome it as one of the few really great crazy stages.

Mario maker looks to have a lot less things trying to kill you, if any at all but I just have a feeling it won't go over well with the people who don't like the new Star Fox stage.

My people.

Richie

You can also never random them and they never show up in Smash Tour.

On one hand they're treated 100% like unique fighters, and on the other, they're like some second class characters. It's stupid.

In Smash Tour they're the actual characters roaming the mode's board. I see them being less 'second class' and more 'special circumstances'. They not showing up in All Stars makes sense to me because in this game they're not really representing the Mii games. They're acting out their roles, else them carrying the Smash logo. While everyone else is being celebrated because of their past achievements, in this game, the Mii came to work.

JCX

Dynamic stages (as long as hazards aren't cheap) are way more fun than platforms and flat planes. Thats why pokefloats will always be GOAT stage.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
YOUR TIME IS FINALLY COMING, MY QUEEN.

latest

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zubz

Banned
It looks like Diddy in drag. She even has the same pose! They're just just giving more ammunition to detractors who think that Dixie would be a Diddy clone.

I don't want to sound rude saying this, but Dixie's a "miss," in my eyes. Speaking of which, their eyes are pretty spot-on! But the pose seems off. It doesn't seem particularly "Dixie-ish." She looks like a waddling baby. Something about the hands and feet seem off, too, although I'm not sure what it is. Maybe they're too large, compared to Diddy & DK? I mean, they're one of the first things I noticed here; they're not usually a focal point for any of the Kongs. (For Dixie, I'd argue it's her hair).

Again, I still love these guys, but their art usually makes me wish that the character they did was in Smash. Like, it even had me wanting Travis from Mother 4 in the game, despite being a fan character. This picture didn't capture that this time around. Thankfully, I'd only say that the Banjo one that everyone reuses and Isaac are "misses" coming from them. I'm in love with how they redesigned Bomberman to be more congruent with Mega Man, in terms of highlighting that fact that he's a robot, and their art for K. Rool, Shantae, and Shovel Knight is all pretty on-point, and I think we all remember how good his Rayman one was. We even had to dust off the old Team hashtags! ... Man, now I want to vote for Bomberman again.

Ryce

The Smashified crew obviously has a ton of talent, and I enjoy watching their process, but the end result is always kind of unsettling.

A random bucket coming for Splatoon gets a Twitter post last week, and DLC for one of the biggest Wii U games gets no reminder or anything at all. Hey guys, DLC is coming, cool, right? Nope, no mention or reminder.

Nintendo PR is bonkers these days.

I mean, the most maddening part is how it has equal chances of being:

- Legitimately low key, just the SMM stage, no fanfare or PR posts

- A huge ruse to suprise us with more content

It's driving me crazzzzzzy

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if the dlc wasn't delayed or something. This whole situation is weird, even for post-Iwata Nintendo news scramble standards.

Honest question. Imagine you (all of you reading this, I mean) are the head of Nintendo marketing. Sakurai wants you to direct a "ruse" (featuring, I dunno, one more stage, Wolf, and pack of hats). Do you announce a pretty cool stage so that everybody seriously into Smash sits on their GamePads and 3DSes awaiting the patch, or do you announce absolutely nothing in terms of content so that it hits suddenly? If the intention is surprising people, IMHO the latter is way better way to do that. Of course, there's the extra variable of the Mario promotion thing, but ignore that for that hypothetical question.

Tyeforce

The Smashified crew obviously has a ton of talent, and I enjoy watching their process, but the end result is always kind of unsettling.
Yeah, this is how I feel, too. They're clearly very talented, and I applaud their efforts, but if they're making an art series with the intention to imitate how a character would appear as an official 3D render as if they were in Smash Bros., then I'm gonna hold them to that. =P To be fair, their first few (Klonoa, Rayman, and Shovel Knight) were fantastic, as were King K. Rool and Bomberman (and Banjo & Kazooie were pretty good, too, I guess). The others...they're still great works of art, but they're very off, at least in my opinion.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You guys think the new update is gonna add a new character hahaha

They'd sooner remove someone from the roster

probably greninja

no way they can nerf him any further

I would announce a small bit of DLC to get people's attention and keep them watching. I'm not saying that's what they did, but it also wouldn't suprise me if that's what happened.

Ryce

There's also the possibility that Sakurai wanted the Mario Maker stage to come out tomorrow as a surprise, but Nintendo revealed it early in order to coincide with the "Today's Super Mario Maker" promotional campaign.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Honest question. Imagine you (all of you reading this, I mean) are the head of Nintendo marketing. Sakurai wants you to direct a "ruse" (featuring, I dunno, one more stage, Wolf, and pack of hats). Do you announce a pretty cool stage so that everybody seriously into Smash sits on their GamePads and 3DSes awaiting the patch, or do you announce absolutely nothing in terms of content so that it hits suddenly? If the intention is surprising people, IMHO the latter is way better way to do that. Of course, there's the extra variable of the Mario promotion thing, but ignore that for that hypothetical question.
The only other explanation I have for them not announcing anything if what we are getting is indeed a huge update is to avoid the server overload that happens when everyone tries to update the game at the same time. Would explain the low-keyness.

Zubz

Banned
A random bucket coming for Splatoon gets a Twitter post last week, and DLC for one of the biggest Wii U games gets no reminder or anything at all. Hey guys, DLC is coming, cool, right? Nope, no mention or reminder.

Well, to be fair, Splatoon's arguably as big as Smash, and the Slosher's a pretty popular weapon.

I mean, the most maddening part is how it has equal chances of being:

- Legitimately low key, just the SMM stage, no fanfare or PR posts

- A huge ruse to suprise us with more content

It's driving me crazzzzzzy

I'd recommend convincing yourself it's the former. It's looking far more likely, and it won't cause you to lose any sleep either way.

FAKE EDIT: The cycle continues.

Just remember everyone, if we get any character(s) tonight, then I'm the one who called it. I'm the one who never stopped believing. I am the only true believer.

WTF am I even typing anymore. Its true tho. I always believed.

I will remain victorious!

#TeamCharacterTonight

Just remember everyone, if we get any character(s) tonight, then I'm the one who called it. I'm the one who never stopped believing. I am the only true believer.

WTF am I even typing anymore. Its true tho. I always believed.

I will remain victorious!

#TeamCharacterTonight

The K. Rool thread on Smashboards randomly had 30 guests viewing it earlier. Possibly Nintendo employees awaiting the fireworks?

Fuck it.

#TeamCharacterTonight

JazzmanZ

That's because you're under the impression Nintendo plans to release something other then a stage tomorrow.

That's because you're under the impression Nintendo plans to release something other then a stage tomorrow.

Even if that's all we're getting, they still are weird for not at least reminding the world that Smash DLC is coming.

For the last DLC, as relatively small as it was, they kept reminding us it was happening for days before it came.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom