• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciD_Vain

VIEWTIFUL!

tumblr_minj3sVD7g1qhqpozo1_500.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My guess:

April - Mewtwo
June - Lucas
August - Wolf (to promote Star Fox U)
October - Roy (because he was being worked on for Brawl)

And then we will get the results of this character ballot in 2016.

Clefargle

You guys know it's gonna be these two right?

Snake
Wolf

Calm down with the crazy character votes and submit ones for a character that could actually make it in. SNAKE OR WOLF

My guess:

April - Mewtwo
June - Lucas
August - Wolf (to promote Star Fox U)
October - Roy (because he was being worked on for Brawl)

And then we will get the results of this character ballot in 2016.

Seems reasonable, although honestly I think Pichu and Roy would be sold together for the price of one character, since they're just clones. Or spread between two larger releases (say, in July and then another in October). Clones will make nice filler DLC between major release imo, and Roy and Pichu would be likely (the second generation representation in Smash is pitiful).

I was thinking more September for Wolf, for one year of Smash 4, but August works too.

Neoxon

Sorry wonder red fans, but i gotta vote for Bayo and snake first.
- Konami isn't exactly buddy-buddy with Nintendo right now.
- Bayonetta is Sega, & seeing as we already have Sonic, it could cause some issues. Plus you can't exactly tone down Bayonetta without taking away much of what makes her awesome.

Wonder Red is actually owned by Nintendo from a T-rated game, so he avoids those problems.

Knowing Nintendo, they will pick the single most voted character to add as DLC. They can't stay on this game forever.

I'm left to wonder how the DLC characters will be handled when it comes to Smash 5, though. :/

Will they stay as DLC or will they be part of the on-disc roster of Smash 5?

- Bayonetta is Sega, & seeing as we already have Sonic, it could cause some issues. Plus you can't exactly tone down Bayonetta without taking away much of what makes her awesome.

Wonder Red is actually owned by Nintendo from a T-rated game, so he avoids those problems.
Pleasee about bayo..

Clefargle

Sure, but I think his popularity wanes outside of GAF. Snake or bayo might actually get enough votes to get in. It won't happen for WR

Neoxon

Sure, but I think his popularity wanes outside of GAF. Snake or bayo might actually get enough votes to get in. It won't happen for WR
Bayo probably wouldn't have many more votes when compared to Wonder Red. Snake however has a legit shot at winning.

Niosai

Sakurai has said in the past that the character has to have originated in a videogame.

My reasoning is that since this is a fan request kind of thing, it wouldn't really matter as much in regards to the origin of the character. But I can see your point.

Merc_

People will see Wonder Red and wonder who the heck he is, and it won't really be a successful DLC. Especially since I doubt we get many new comers as DLC, having Wonder Red, a character nobody has heard of, be one of those few characters will upset people.

Unless the new comer is a very strong character, I just don't see them having any chance at all.

This post applies to a large amount of the characters being voted for on gaf and other parts of the net. I've seen people voting for Isaac, Wonder Red, Bayo, and many others from games that don't sell well. Sakurai has already proven that he's more than willing to use characters from little known series. I don't think you can say this whole thing for sure unless you actually work on his team. How many times does it have to be proven that you shouldn't try and predict what Sakurai does?

Sakurai has already proven that he's more than willing to use characters from little known series.

In a larger roster that will sell no matter whose on it, versus a character that has to sell themselves based entirely on who they are. They're not part of a larger game that can introduce people to them.

Lucas wouldn't be DLC in a million years if he wasn't a well loved veteran. Him being in Brawl is the only reason the majority of Smash fans even know who he is.

I voted Wonder Red, because I think he's actually got a chance.

Simon Belmont would be amazing, as would Viewtiful Joe; but I'd be shocked if either of those made it.

Disappointed by the lack of love for Toon Ganon - but I suppose he is a trophy :(

I would love to see Solid Snake again, since he was one of my mains in brawl... but I don't expect it. Would be cool if we got another out of nowhere franchise character.

Clefargle

Bayo probably wouldn't have many more votes when compared to Wonder Red. Snake however has a legit shot at winning.

Perhaps, I just don't see the compelling reason behind wonder red. He's a cool character from a great first/second part title. But that's the only title he has, plus I can't imagine him working well on 3ds. Unfortunately, he may just not have the clout. Very few chars from smash have had only one title to their name. Maybe Duckhunt and Roy are exceptions, but it's rare as hell.

Merc_

In a larger roster that will sell no matter whose on it, versus a character that has to sell themselves based entirely on who they are. They're not part of a larger game that can introduce people to them.

Lucas wouldn't be DLC in a million years if he wasn't a well loved veteran. Him being in Brawl is the only reason the majority of Smash fans even know who he is.

Yes, which is what the point of this poll is. To try and gauge who the most popular characters are that they could use. I'm pretty sure they also look at overall internet chatter along with this. It weird to complain about a character's popularity in a event designed to measure it to begin with.

Yes, which is what the point of this poll is. To try and gauge who the most popular characters are that they could use. I'm pretty sure they also look at overall internet chatter along with this. It weird to complain about a character's popularity in a event designed to measure it to begin with.

Because Wonder Red isn't popular, and never is going to get even a fraction of the votes tons of other characters will be getting, so people shouldn't get their hopes up.

Varjet

Because Wonder Red isn't popular, and never is going to get even a fraction of the votes tons of other characters will be getting, so people shouldn't get their hopes up.

So we shouödn vote for Wonder-Red cause nobody's going to vote for Wonder-Red. Uh-hu.

Also, do you know who Shuma-Gorath is?

Neoxon

Where can I find info in this?
Nintendo doesn't really have good relations with any third-party companies besides Sega, Capcom, Namco, & Atlus (with Sega & Atlus being under the same roof). And what luck, the first 3 already have characters in Smash. Plus the only reason Snake got in Smash was because Kojima asked, & we all know what's going on between him & Konami.

So we shouödn vote for Wonder-Red cause nobody's going to vote for Wonder-Red. Uh-hu.

Also, do you know who Shuma-Gorath is?

Not that you shouldn't vote for him, just that your vote likely means very little in the scheme of things. It could lead to a Smash 5 character, but it's not likely he will be considered for DLC when he's against Snake, Wolf, K Rool, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman. Among others who will also probably rank pretty high (Roy, Dark Samus) you can pretty easily see how he has little chance against those characters from larger, more successful, more well know games. And this is even ignoring characters who have no chance but will rank high like Ice Climbers and Ridley.

They're going to go with mass appeal with DLC. It's not going to work like the regular roster works because the stakes are higher with getting their money back.

I only know who Shuma-Gorath is because he was in MvC2 and then MvC3 as DLC. Literally the exact same scenario as Lucas. Taking a niche character that managed to get into a larger roster the first time and selling them as DLC based on popularity gained via appearing in the previous game. And not at all comparable to Wonder Red.

Damn dude, how did you tally up the votes so fast!

If you seriously think a random character from a poor selling game on a poor selling system only released within the last few years can go toe to toe with beloved Smash veterans, major villains of large franchises, well know, highly requested side kicks and fan favorites, by all means believe that. But don't get devastated when nothing comes out of it.

I only know who Shuma-Gorath is because he was in MvC2 and then MvC3 as DLC. Literally the exact same scenario as Lucas. Taking a niche character that managed to get into a larger roster the first time and selling them as DLC based on popularity gained via appearing in the previous game. And not at all comparable to Wonder Red.

Shuma-Gorath happens to be very popular in Japan, which is mainly the reason why he was included as DLC.

Neoxon

Not that you shouldn't vote for him, just that your vote likely means very little in the scheme of things. It could lead to a Smash 5 character, but it's not likely he will be considered for DLC when he's against Snake, Wolf, K Rool, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman. Among others who will also probably rank pretty high (Roy, Dark Samus) you can pretty easily see how he has little chance against those characters from larger, more successful, more well know games. And this is even ignoring characters who have no chance but will rank high like Ice Climbers and Ridley.

They're going to go with mass appeal with DLC. It's not going to work like the regular roster works because the stakes are higher with getting their money back.

If you seriously think a random character from a poor selling game on a poor selling system only released within the last few years can go toe to toe with beloved Smash veterans, major villains of large franchises, well know, highly requested side kicks and fan favorites, by all means believe that. But don't get devastated when nothing comes out of it.
Shuma-Gorath happens to be very popular in Japan, which is mainly the reason why he was included as DLC.
The only reason Shuma got in MvC3 was because Capcom begged Marvel for him, & even then Marvel only allowed Shuma as DLC.

Joqu

To be honest Isaac is the only character I REALLY want and that's mostly because the amount of Golden Sun content has been utterly lacking. But I'm not sure what his chances are these days. :s

Nintendo doesn't really have good relations with any third-party companies besides Sega, Capcom, Namco, & Atlus (with Sega & Atlus being under the same roof). And what luck, the first 3 already have characters in Smash. Plus the only reason Snake got in Smash was because Kojima asked, & we all know what's going on between him & Konami.

Atlus should totally get their own rep sometime though, get that Jack Frost in there, hee ho!

Merc_

I think he has a better chance than a lot of the third party characters getting thrown around. If he doesn't make, it's cool. I'll be pretty happy with almost anybody they pick. I just think its dumb to make definite statements on things we don't really know for sure.

Bydobob

Easy vote for Wonder Red, although I'd be delighted with any of the W101 characters. They're all full of personality and having special moves using morph ability would be great fun. Stylistically they would also fit in perfectly with Smash's rainbow cast of characters.

Thanks for this opportunity Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom