• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Grant Kirkhope retweeted the K. Rool campaign. That fat bastard is gonna make it into the game, isn't it? :/

Ahem

snake.png

Gartooth

What are you talking about? Heavies are pretty dominant in smash 4. Tone down the persecution complex a bit.

lol ok buddy

Thinking of more characters of a particular playstyle as a good thing is now a "persecution complex". Better watch out or Sakurai will take away Donkey Kong and Bowser!

Soul Lab

Not that you shouldn't vote for him, just that your vote likely means very little in the scheme of things. It could lead to a Smash 5 character, but it's not likely he will be considered for DLC when he's against Snake, Wolf, K Rool, Dixie, Chorus Kids, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman. Among others who will also probably rank pretty high (Roy, Dark Samus) you can pretty easily see how he has little chance against those...

If you seriously think a random character from a poor selling game on a poor selling system only released within the last few years can go toe to toe with beloved Smash veterans, major villains of large franchises, well know, highly requested side kicks and fan favorites, by all means believe that. But don't get devastated when nothing comes out of it.

Well. We have no information about how they're gonna use the data from the votes. It's not like they said top spot will make it into smash. Sure your viewpoint is realistic, but pls don't try to put the fun down so heavily :(

"One of the most unique", I'm pretty sure the way I used it works fine.

Nintendo asked for a character I want to see, and I want to see Snake return. If anyone else does too, just vote for him. Don't think about all the behind the scenes bullshit. Just vote for him. Already two posts on this page about that stuff. Can't you just let us have our hope?
There aren't degrees of unique. It's binary.

Weren't you the person who said I was being unrealistic for saying Snake wouldn't be in the game this time and I outlined why, specifically with things happening behind the scenes?

Illucio

Banned
I just threw in a vote for Wonder Red like any sane person would do.

I still wonder (pun not intended) if I should cast a vote for Inklings (I swear that red hair/orange Inkling is the star of the game), K. Rool, Bomberman, Ridley, Bayonetta, and Captain Toad. :/

Does one vote counteract the other one?

SuperMikey64

Neo Member
When it comes to potential newcomers, I gotta say, I want Shovel Knight. That'd be rad.

And even though I never played him in Brawl,
(lol who am I kidding? I didn't play Brawl at all.)
I want Snake to return. It was just too cool seeing him in a Smash game, and it should be relatively easy to port him into Sm4sh like they're doing with Lucas.

They don't have to go through the process of creating them from the ground up like they would with a newcomer.

Doorman

Totally wasted my ballot just like I figured I would and voted for Sukapon, from Joy Mech Fight.

Nintendo's biggest fighting franchise needs one of its original fighting game characters, dangit. It'll never happen but I had to be honest about who I wanted! D:

If you seriously think a random character from a poor selling game on a poor selling system only released within the last few years can go toe to toe with beloved Smash veterans, major villains of large franchises, well know, highly requested side kicks and fan favorites, by all means believe that. But don't get devastated when nothing comes out of it.

Did you just say "devastated"?

Devastated.....over a fan poll....that has no choice limitations and unlimited votes?

07d47b2227f592e9e53bbfe1fea7c0da1192205fb254416b66b1a80d0c25620f.jpg

Clefargle

lol ok buddy

Thinking of more characters of a particular playstyle as a good thing is now a "persecution complex". Better watch out or Sakurai will take away Donkey Kong and Bowser!

Lol, there is no room for hyperbole on this board anymore. I keep forgetting how Smash is "srs bsns" and any disagreement should be laid out plainly without any joking involved. Either way, smash 4 has its fair share of heavies, I don't have a problem with more, but Mewtwo just joined and it looks like we are only getting 4 DLC chars. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with half of them being heavies, but I'd certainly prefer a little more diversity. And if I was gonna pick another heavy, it wouldn't be K. Rool. He is exemplary of the types of characters Smash doesn't need imo. Tryhard throwback characters that hold more nostalgia value than creative justification for their own inclusion. Duck hunt is an example of how to revive a classic game into a character without coming across as 2edgy and weird. K. Rool doesn't have the same relevance to the gaming industry at large. So his inclusion would seem more fan-focused and less inspired. It's a subjective thing, but I think his design is just ugly on top of all that.

I voted for the Chorus Kids and Shovel Knight. I would be overjoyed with either one of those. Maybe I should have a friend put in a vote for Dixie Kong too...

Either way, this poll is probably and sadly going to lead to either Ridley or K. Rool being added to the roster. :(

Illucio

Banned
wchjayb95jjmaonglqxo.jpg

I agree Shovel Knight would had been a great addition, only if the people didn't decide afterwards to release him for other consoles.... Dillion would be a better substitute for a representative for indie games in Smash. Especially because we need more long range attackers like Mega Man to spice things up.

Ryce

I feel like a lot of people have the wrong idea about this survey. It’s not a “winner becomes DLC!” poll like Ed Boon did with Zatanna in Injustice. Sakurai and the team just want to hear what people have to say, and maybe one character (not necessarily the top vote getter) will be included as a direct result of the survey. The Japanese title of the survey is “Toukouken,” which is what Sakurai also called his Brawl survey. The only character we ended up getting out of that was Sonic.

The survey exists as a way to maintain excitement and get people talking about Smash Bros. DLC for the rest of the year. It’s definitely working — the hype cycle is back in full swing, and I love it.

I feel like a lot of people have the wrong idea about this survey. It’s not a “winner becomes DLC!” poll like Ed Boon did with Zatanna in Injustice. Sakurai and the team just want to hear what people have to say, and maybe one character (not necessarily the top vote getter) will be included as a direct result of the survey. The Japanese title of the survey is “Toukouken,” which is what Sakurai also called his Brawl survey. The only character we ended up getting out of that was Sonic.

The survey exists as a way to maintain excitement and get people talking about Smash Bros. DLC for the rest of the year. It’s definitely working — the hype cycle is back in full swing, and I love it.

This.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I voted for the Chorus Kids and Shovel Knight. I would be overjoyed with either one of those. Maybe I should have a friend put in a vote for Dixie Kong too...

Either way, this poll is probably and sadly going to lead to either Ridley or K. Rool being added to the roster. :(
Yo Smash Dlc forty minute discussion when?

Masked Man

I said wow

Totally agreed. People will be talking about
Smash for the rest of the year, and that's exactly what Nintendo wants--and needs. So happy the Hype Train is charging forward once again. Choo-choo!

Also, I love your icon! I voted for the Chorus Kids on the JP site, so hopefully that counts for something. :3

brinstar

I voted for Wonder Red and Impa. I never liked K. Rool much as a kid but I have to admit the pirate variant with that huge-ass blunderbuss would be pretty fun to play as in Smash.

Haha, I just don't personally care for either of those characters. But hey, if this survey leads to one of them getting in, I'll be really happy for their fans! I'm STILL riding the Mega Man hype wave even now; every time I play Smash I still can't quite believe he's in the game, and seeing his victory screen when I win a match gives me goosebumps. Given that, I wouldn't dare rain on anyone else's parade if their most-wanted character gets in as DLC!

Yo Smash Dlc forty minute discussion when?

What this man said!

I would watch that.

Maybe that can happen! I'll bring it up to Andre and Derrick and see what they think. ;)

Amani

Regarding K. Rool, yeah, his design's not exactly the most timeless. It's the boss fights that really stuck with a lot of people (can't forget the fake kredits and dat boxing match). Still, I don't get the comments about him not being a relevant character. So, what's Game & Watch about? Or Duck Hunt? Or Rob?

Welp, gave my two cents. More importantly, really liking the Impa love around here, might throw a vote her way. Gonna go for either Medusa (KI) or Hades. I kinda want Medusa since she's been in more games and all, and her Uprising design's pretty nifty, though Hades makes a far cooler villain.

Edit: Ok so guys: Dixie, or Cranky? Kinda want to see him and Mario go at it again.

MrBadger

i dont want any dlc in my nintendo games :(

Smash DLC isn't about Nintendo withholding content, it's about Nintendo releasing full games and fans begging them for more content even after they've said no once

Anyway I voted for my boy Shovel Knight. The Commander Video trophy tells me that indie characters in Smash aren't out of the question and his move set would be perfect.

Ryce

Also, I love your icon! I voted for the Chorus Kids on the JP site, so hopefully that counts for something. :3
I certainly hope so! The lack of Rhythm Heaven music is still really suspicious to me. Considering Link's Mii hat was "withheld" for DLC, maybe there's a reason for the dearth of significant Rhythm Heaven content.

Man, even as a kid, I thought K. Rool was terrible. I don't understand the appeal.
He's a bad guy (which Smash Bros. is lacking) from Donkey Kong (which is arguably underrepresented). I think K. Rool is a boring, lazily designed character, but I can see why people might want him. He checks off two major boxes at once.

Tesseract

Banned
shovel knight or simon belmont would be excellent picks

maybe shantae, batman, dante (dmc), adam (human revolution), snake, jill (re)

Durden77

There aren't degrees of unique. It's binary.

Weren't you the person who said I was being unrealistic for saying Snake wouldn't be in the game this time and I outlined why, specifically with things happening behind the scenes?

I had plenty of Snake arguments pre-release. And yes, I remember you. It's not like it was impossible for him to make it, which is the position I would always take against people like you that acted like it was fact he wasn't coming back before anyone could truly say that or not.

And I don't know why that was necessary. All I'm saying is that Nintendo is asking people who they want to see in Smash, straight up. If you want see Snake in Smash, why not vote for Snake in Smash? It's that simple. There's no need in thinking about all of that behind the scenes shit. This is just for Nintendo to judge which characters people want to see. If they can make the characters work, great. If not, oh well. That's for them to worry about. Our job is to just tell them what we want.

No one expected Lucas, no one really expected Mewtwo, and I think it's safe to say that no one can really predict where this DLC path will lead us. So just vote for your favorite character and cross your fingers. Fuck it vote for Goku if you legit want that.

Lol, there is no room for hyperbole on this board anymore. I keep forgetting how Smash is "srs bsns" and any disagreement should be laid out plainly without any joking involved. Either way, smash 4 has its fair share of heavies, I don't have a problem with more, but Mewtwo just joined and it looks like we are only getting 4 DLC chars. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with half of them being heavies, but I'd certainly prefer a little more diversity. And if I was gonna pick another heavy, it wouldn't be K. Rool. He is exemplary of the types of characters Smash doesn't need imo. Tryhard throwback characters that hold more nostalgia value than creative justification for their own inclusion. Duck hunt is an example of how to revive a classic game into a character without coming across as 2edgy and weird. K. Rool doesn't have the same relevance to the gaming industry at large. So his inclusion would seem more fan-focused and less inspired. It's a subjective thing, but I think his design is just ugly on top of all that.

Yep, nostalgia. That's the only reason why people like K. Rool. It's bad enough that the word "nostalgia" is used to blindly dismiss anybody who prefers older games, but now that fallacious argument is being used against characters too. The fact that he has a vocal fanbase despite not appearing in years is a testament to how great the character is. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way. You brand him as a "tryhard throwback character" then praise Duck Hunt's inclusion, even though the character in question is literally just a sprite from an NES launch title. It's foolish to pick and choose which characters are "creativity justified" based on arbitrary criteria you made up. I've already highlighted the many unique attributes K. Rool would bring to the table, but if you have your fingers in your ears the entire time, what difference does it make? Please, take a look at this thread and inform yourself. No, contrary to, erm... unpopular belief, K. Rool would not be a glorified Bowser clone.

Mewtwo is not a heavyweight, so that's false assumption number one. False assumption number two is your claim that it looks like we are only getting four DLC characters. Where does that come from? K. Rool would be the first, and so far only heavyweight Nintendo character whose fighting style would consist primarily of projectile use. He has the crown toss from DKC and Blunderbuss from DKC2, both of which are included in nearly every K. Rool moveset I've seen. He has a whole repertoire of gadgets that he has used throughout the Donkey Kong series, so clearly moveset potential isn't the problem here. Then what is? Relevancy? Popularity? The overabundance of playable villains and DK characters? I'd wager that he is currently winning the poll, even though GAF told me that "nobody cares about K. Rool" during the lead up to Smash 4. Now that this myth has been dispelled, the tune has changed to "I don't like the way K. Rool looks, therefore he does not deserve to be in the game." We have people here who are visibly shaken over the possibility of K. Rool playable, as if his fans don't deserve to be happy. And as you can see, there are a lot of them. It's selfish, childish, and encapsulates why I stopped posting in the Smash threads in the first place. People here would rather complain about who they don't like than advocate for who they do like. It's not flattering.

Geez, anger and emotions seem to be running high in this thread right now. Why? Are people trying to dictate who others "should" or "shouldn't" vote for in the poll based on how "deserving" a character is, or what? People should just vote for their most-wanted character regardless of whatever anyone else says and move on.

RomanceDawn

I wonder what the guys at Nintendo think about the votes flooding in? There must be like a 50 man team dedicated to tallying everything up.

What I need is a Ridley/Dixie/K Rool/Sukapon spy on the inside to sway the votes all in their favor.

I wonder what the guys at Nintendo think about the votes flooding in? There must be like a 50 man team dedicated to tallying everything up.

What I need is a Ridley/Dixie/K Rool/Sukapon spy on the inside to sway the votes all in their favor.
Sarcasm? They will probably use an automated program.

I voted for Gunman Clive, although I know he's not a Nintendo character, I'm sure beril would be ok with a Smash appearance. Not going to happen though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom