• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

So the current rumor is that a character that isn't Shovel Knight will be revealed by next week. Why does that mean that Shovel Knight can't be revealed by the end of the month or even early next month?
Because Tamaki said the next month or two back in August.

NotLiquid

So just to recap on what we know so far -

Roger over at Roger's Base, a person who is seemingly known to have sources within NoA, tweeted about learning some really exciting Nintendo news that he's not allowed to come out with. However, within some closer circle of his it seems like the news spread a little bit, and at least Stealth (another person who has had industry sources in the past) and Zef (a Smash scener) have seemingly found out about the news from him. It should be noted that those two are the only ones who explicitly mentioned it to be Smash news and that Roger hasn't mentioned anything about it being Smash (also pointing out that he doesn't know anything of the Smash Ballot's outcome). Zef also made the point that this information ain't likely to leak unless the source comes clear with it, as there was nothing recovered from the last patch to suggest that the character is hidden away like Roy/Ryu. Warchamp7 (SmashBoards admin) also seems to think Zef as a trustworthy source since he acknowledged the mills they were spinning. Either way, all signs point to this being some kind of Smash news and that it has to do with a Nintendo newcomer who is likely to cause a lot of buzz despite not necessarily being the most voted for.

"So why do we assume it's Splatoon?"

The game is evidently poised for another major update soon as the person who has been datamining the game for a while is expecting a major update to hit in mid-October, and that might have to do with Octolings being playable in the game. That said, with the Smash rumors now circulating, they seem to be convinced that this is going to result in a major Splatoon Direct that details the news and reveals them as a playable character for Smash. Again, this is speculation, but what it boils down to is basically a truckload of "where there's smoke, there's fire". With the Inklings meeting all the checkboxes that the tweets mention it seems like something bigger might be in store. GameXplain also raised the point that Nintendo don't really have much of a holiday schedule at all so it'd make a lot of sense to leverage their existing products (Smash, Splatoon) with a lot of DLC going into the holidays.

I don't know where that leaves the Shovel Knight rumor personally. I could make the assumption that if he is in he'll be slated as one of the "ballot newcomers" maybe later next year. It seems somewhat reasonable that he might still exist in some form (especially considering how passive Yacht have been in regards to talking about the ballot compared to WayForward who wouldn't shut the fuck up about it and begged people even in Kickstarter e-mails to vote for Shantae) but that if that would ever be true, it would still be ways off. I'm personally indifferent about the veracity of that rumor though.

Incidentally as I'm writing this, Smash is scheduled for another online maintenance tomorrow. Presumably something to do with that 1.1.2. Diddy patch.

Incidentally, while we're on the topic of Splatoon, Nintendo Europe just announced that we won't be having a Splatfest this weekend, with no real reason given.

Probably has nothing to do with this, but a little suspicious all the same.

Nah it's not some conspiracy. There's only been 2 splatfests on at a time bfore. Somehow this time round it's ended up as Jp/NA instead of Jp early and then NA/EU later.

backlot

Because Tamaki said the next month or two back in August.

Yeah, on August 26th. Two months from then would be the end of this month. I was being a bit generous by saying the beginning of next month since we were given a vague time table to begin with. My point is that nothing about the current rumor has anything to do with additional character reveals.

NotLiquid

Nah it's not some conspiracy. There's only been 2 splatfests on at a time bfore. Somehow this time round it's ended up as Jp/NA instead of Jp early and then NA/EU later.

It's not about them not being on the same day/time. EU and NA Splatfests have always been held during the same week(ends). This is the only time an EU Splatfest has been delayed a whole week from it's standard operating schedule.

backlot

It's not about them not being on the same day/time. EU and NA Splatfests have always been held during the same week(ends). This is the only time an EU Splatfest has been delayed a whole week from it's standard operating schedule.

But how does delaying a Splatfest for a single region relate to Smash Bros DLC?

NotLiquid

But how does delaying a Splatfest for a single region relate to Smash Bros DLC?

It doesn't. Like I mentioned, it seems to have more to do with Splatoon getting an update. But the fact that the Splatoon update itself seems to be coinciding with all these Smash murmurs is, again, an interesting coincidence.

backlot

It doesn't. Like I mentioned, it seems to have more to do with Splatoon getting an update. But the fact that the Splatoon update itself seems to be coinciding with all these Smash murmurs is, again, an interesting coincidence.

I have trouble believing that points to a Splatoon update. Yeah, there isn't a European Splatfest happening this week, but there are Japanese and US Splatfests. Why wouldn't they be affected by the update in the same way as Europe?

And that's because they only have two regions running them at a given weekend. Japans was held back a week, so they stole Europes slot for this week. Go look at the splatfest dates.
http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest
Now, as far as I can see, there are no days of overlapping splatfests between different regions, with the exception of the first one in NA/EU which might have had a few hours overlap.

Europe will get it the next weekend because Japans was delayed to this weekend. That's all. If they had something to announce regarding splatfests, you can bet they wouldn't be holding something back specially to announce for Europe.

NotLiquid

And that's because they only have two regions running them at a given weekend. Japans was held back a week, so they stole Europes slot for this week. Go look at the splatfest dates.
http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest
Now, as far as I can see, there are no days of overlapping splatfests between different regions, with the exception of the first one in NA/EU which might have had a few hours overlap.

Europe will get it the next weekend because Japans was delayed to this weekend. That's all. If they had something to announce regarding splatfests, you can bet they wouldn't be holding something back specially to announce for Europe.

Fair enough on that end then, wasn't aware that Japan had a delayed date.

Still doesn't invalidate that a Splatoon update is on the cards if the dataminer is to be believed.

I don't see why everyone thinks Inklings deconfirms Shovel Knight. It could easily go:

Inklings in Splatoon Direct on the 14th (or whenever it ends up being)

Shovel Knight and possibly more are kept secret until the Inklings are released on November 20th (or again whenever the dlc hits)

Smash Direct announced prior to release. smash Direc ends with characters announced being available at the same time.

Roy and Ryu were announced then released at the same time. We wouldn't have known about them beforehand. And considering how long its been since the last character a set of characters coming at the same time make the most sense.

I'm not convinced of either rumor, but I'm too damn starved for character information to look away.
I'm a little convinced on both, but this is basically me. I just want ANYONE TO BE ANNOUNCED ALREADY!

Platy

i don't see how that tweet is related with potential nintendo direct....

I am the only person in the "hanafuda cards for smash" cheerleading squad =/

So just to recap on what we know so far -

Roger over at Roger's Base, a person who is seemingly known to have sources within NoA, tweeted about learning some really exciting Nintendo news that he's not allowed to come out with. However, within some closer circle of his it seems like the news spread a little bit, and at least Stealth (another person who has had industry sources in the past) and Zef (a Smash scener) have seemingly found out about the news from him. It should be noted that those two are the only ones who explicitly mentioned it to be Smash news and that Roger hasn't mentioned anything about it being Smash (also pointing out that he doesn't know anything of the Smash Ballot's outcome). That said, a tweet aimed at Shofu did hint at another "Japan Time" going down. Zef also made the point that this information ain't likely to leak unless the source comes clear with it, as there was nothing recovered from the last patch to suggest that the character is hidden away like Roy/Ryu. Warchamp7 (SmashBoards admin) also seems to think Zef as a trustworthy source since he acknowledged the mills they were spinning. Either way, all signs point to this being some kind of Smash news and that it has to do with a Nintendo newcomer who is likely to cause a lot of buzz despite not necessarily being the most voted for.

"So why do we assume it's Splatoon?"

The game is evidently poised for another major update soon as the person who has been datamining the game for a while is expecting a major update to hit in mid-October, and that might have to do with Octolings being playable in the game. That said, with the Smash rumors now circulating, they seem to be convinced that this is going to result in a major Splatoon Direct that details the news and reveals them as a playable character for Smash. Again, this is speculation, but what it boils down to is basically a truckload of "where there's smoke, there's fire". With the Inklings meeting all the checkboxes that the tweets mention it seems like something bigger might be in store. GameXplain also raised the point that Nintendo don't really have much of a holiday schedule at all so it'd make a lot of sense to leverage their existing products (Smash, Splatoon) with a lot of DLC going into the holidays.

I don't know where that leaves the Shovel Knight rumor personally. I could make the assumption that if he is in he'll be slated as one of the "ballot newcomers" maybe later next year. It seems somewhat reasonable that he might still exist in some form (especially considering how passive Yacht have been in regards to talking about the ballot compared to WayForward who wouldn't shut the fuck up about it and begged people even in Kickstarter e-mails to vote for Shantae) but that if that would ever be true, it would still be ways off. I'm personally indifferent about the veracity of that rumor though.

Incidentally as I'm writing this, Smash is scheduled for another online maintenance tomorrow. Presumably something to do with that 1.1.2. Diddy patch.

Don't forget

MgPB3B5.png

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/647072647235284992

From someone who was right a few times

NotLiquid

Does that mean i can be hyped again?

The whole Inklings for Smash thing is pure speculation at this point based on some really convenient occurrences so I still say don't get too excited. I'd say the rumor is in the same place that the Shovel Knight rumor was; things seem to be lining up a little bit too neatly, and we will most likely get something related to what has been discussed for both Smash and Splatoon.

Nikki's been on point with several Splatoon predictions in the past (mostly the dates of when we'd get new weapons) but even so Mamba is right since atm it's only estimating for a Splatoon update (including when you factor stuff like Nintendo finally localizing SplatNet, Hammerhead not being fixed, Octolings seemingly being prepped for player usage considering Nintendo updated the models and eventually dropped some copyright claims of her videos etc).

Now whether that falls concurrently with whatever this Smash news is, is anyone's guess. But much like the Shovel Knight info, fun to speculate.

Who knows what exactly will happen next week or so regarding Smash, Splatoon, and Directs, but if it's any case like the Shovel Knight rumor, I'm expecting at least something important regarding the involved not-smash game coming (Splatoon).

Besides Splatfest for Europe.

Nightbird

Don't. Not yet.

Not yet, my friend. Patience is key for situations such as this.

Okay, i will hold back for now :(
340.gif

The whole Inklings for Smash thing is pure speculation at this point based on some really convenient occurrences so I still say don't get too excited. I'd say the rumor is in the same place that the Shovel Knight rumor was; things seem to be lining up a little bit too neatly, and we will most likely get something related to what has been discussed for both Smash and Splatoon.

Nikki's been on point with several Splatoon predictions in the past (mostly the dates of when we'd get new weapons) but even so Mamba is right since atm it's only estimating for a Splatoon update (including when you factor stuff like Nintendo finally localizing SplatNet, Hammerhead not being fixed, Octolings seemingly being prepped for player usage considering Nintendo updated the models and eventually dropped some copyright claims of her videos etc).

Now whether that falls concurrently with whatever this Smash news is, is anyone's guess. But much like the Shovel Knight info, fun to speculate.

True that, i've had a lot of fun reading this Thread in the past few Days ^^

Kouichi

Talk to your goddess Palutena and ask her if it's true. If you heard nothing from her then she's telling you to listen to me.

but I'm out of hearts so I can't bring her close :(

In all seriousness, this speculation is pretty interesting. I'm one of the people who thought Inkling would be saved for another Smash, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're one of the ballot picks. I'm willing to get excited. Part of the fun is seeing how these rumors/theories turn out, even when it ends up being absolutely nothing.

Jawmuncher

I'm the most easily hyped guy on the planet so right now I'm at full hype until something happens (or doesn't)

I can get on the hype train easily, but if I do whatever the reveal is get's judged rather harshly. Such as right now if inklings get revealed and nothing else, it'll get a "neat" and nothing more from me. I want more out of left field stuff like Ryu.

JCX

i can't get hyped anymore. I should be way more excited about these characters, but now I Play with the new ones a bit, then stop and go back to whichever other game I was playing. Splatoon seems like a natural lead nintendo character for Smash NX< but maybe they want to strike while the iron is hot.

I can get on the hype train easily, but if I do whatever the reveal is get's judged rather harshly. Such as right now if inklings get revealed and nothing else, it'll get a "neat" and nothing more from me. I want more out of left field stuff like Ryu.

I think we'll probably get a couple characters, not just Inklings. I know it's almost a SmashGAF meme at this point, but Wolf would be a safe bet, as well as another vet possibly. Not saying that just because that's how the last character DLC went, but it's a nice little grouping (newcomer + two vets).

Inkling
Wolf
Popo/Nana

That's what I'm going to quietly hope for and hype up in my head only to be disappointed. I'm going to believe that they started working on these three a while ago since that'd be a semi realistic workload to have finished by now.

Richie

Splatoon is one franchise where I'm 99% sure its hub won't be the Smash stage.

A stage that alternated between normal and Splatfest nighttime would be awesome.

I guess it's a testament to good character design that, despite not understanding that trailer at all, the design being super abstract and not even knowing he was in the game, I was able to pick out Chrom.

Dr. Buni

i can't get hyped anymore. I should be way more excited about these characters, but now I Play with the new ones a bit, then stop and go back to whichever other game I was playing. Splatoon seems like a natural lead nintendo character for Smash NX< but maybe they want to strike while the iron is hot.
That's assuming Smash NX, as a brand new game, will be a thing. Maybe Nintendo have different plans for the future of Smash and introducing Inklings earlier is the ideal scenario.

Richie

That's assuming Smash NX, as a brand new game, will be a thing. Maybe Nintendo have different plans for the future of Smash and introducing Inklings earlier is the ideal scenario.

I'm thinking this too. How feasible it is, at this point, to reinvent the wheel every single time for each new system, with a roster that's nearing sixty characters, with so many stages and whatnot? No, I do think the reason why we're getting the likes of Ryu and a Super Mario Maker stage, both of which would seem prime material to save for the next Smash, is because all of the work poured here won't go to naught. They aren't going through the trouble of reworking 64 stages just for one round, either. It's an investment. It may just signal the start of something new and exciting for the series, and damned if I'm not on board.

Neoxon

I'm thinking this too. How feasible it is, at this point, to reinvent the wheel every single time for each new system, with a roster that's nearing sixty characters, with so many stages and whatnot? No, I do think the reason why we're getting the likes of Ryu and a Super Mario Maker stage, both of which would seem prime material to save for the next Smash, is because all of the work poured here won't go to naught. They aren't going through the trouble of reworking 64 stages just for one round, either. It's an investment. It may just signal the start of something new and exciting for the series, and damned if I'm not on board.
This would line up with what the NX is rumored to be (the iOS for Nintendo, the last platform that Nintendo will ever make from the ground-up, continually upgraded through multiple form factors).

Well here's a first.

Found an audio glitch on Mario Maker.

The Super Mario World theme doesn't loop properly. It plays the non Yoshi version first and then goes into Yoshi drums as it should, but it never switches back to no drums. So you only hear the no Yoshi loop once a match.

Wonder how that messed up. As far as I know, this glitch doesn't exist on Delfino for the Yoshi drums in those songs.

Well here's a first.

Found an audio glitch on Mario Maker.

The Super Mario World theme doesn't loop properly. It plays the non Yoshi version first and then goes into Yoshi drums as it should, but it never switches back to no drums. So you only hear the no Yoshi loop once a match.

Wonder how that messed up. As far as I know, this glitch doesn't exist on Delfino for the Yoshi drums in those songs.

If memory serves, a lot of Youtube music rips for Super Mario World do the same thing as well. I wonder if it was like that in the actual OST?

Neiteio

I was replaying Ground Zeroes the other day, and when Big Boss looks at the screen and goes, "Kept ya waiting, huh," I just leaned back and cursed whatever forces in the universe gave us Snake in Brawl only to take him away in SSB4.

I was replaying Ground Zeroes the other day, and when Big Boss looks at the screen and goes, "Kept ya waiting, huh," I just leaned back and cursed whatever forces in the universe gave us Snake in Brawl only to take him away in SSB4.

Just makes you want to reach out your hand along the screen as you stroke what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom