• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd honestly love if SEGA and Namco both got a second character that would bring something new. I'm just really not sure who that would be since third parties generally bring something big to the table or have a really big influence in gaming. Ryo sorta works thanks to Shenmue bringing open world and QTEs into the spotlight, and maybe Phantasy Star would fit for bringing such a major online experience to consoles (and even the only major one on Gamecube) but beyond that I have no clue.

I really need to play Splatoon at some point.
Heh, FOnewearl from PSO would be instant main from me. sadly, PSO is never going to get a rep, but if it did it would probably be that useless and annoying HUmar in the orange suit you have to help out several times during the single player missions :p (that said, they could easily make half the alt skins HUnewearls)

They're totally not going to add the current Inkling trophy to the Splatoon series of trophies if they add them, right?

They'll probably just forget that trophy even exists.

JCX

That's assuming Smash NX, as a brand new game, will be a thing. Maybe Nintendo have different plans for the future of Smash and introducing Inklings earlier is the ideal scenario.

I sure hope it's either new or they drop the 3DS character parity rule for NX so we can get Ice Climbers back.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
82hGPCL.jpg

Neoxon

I sure hope it's either new or they drop the 3DS character parity rule for NX so we can get Ice Climbers back.
Roster parity is probably gonna be mandatory across all NX form factors since it'd only be one game (if what we're theorizing about the NX Platform is correct). That is, unless you mean the NX Platform should break parity from the Wii U & the 3DS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I should ask smash modellers if Wolf's outfit in Brawl had only single layers or if his accessories are actually separate.

Dr. Buni

No, they should totally keep the roster parity for all NX version(s) of Smash. 3DS will have nothing to do with this anymore and I am fairly confident the NX handheld will have enough power to have the Ice Climbers back. Also, 3DS version isn't the only reason Ice Climbers are gone, there's the 8 player Smash mode in the Wii U version as well.
A great function would be adding connectivity to Happy Home Designer, New Leaf, and Splatoon to import your characters from those games and use them as costumes.
Yep.

There is no evidence that 8-player mode had anything to do with the Ice Climbers being missing. Just "uh, well, maybe."
There's even evidence to the contrary, as 8 player Smash was obviously implemented well before Ice Climbers were cut. 8 Player Smash is totally ingrained in Smash 4, entire stages built around it and modes with it as the focus. While we know Ice Climbers were cut fairly late given some data still left on the 3DS (like their icon) along with the Polar Bear enemy and stuff like that.

The time frames don't really add up. 8 player came before ICs were cut, well before they were cut, and we know they were working on the Wii U just fine.

On the subject of alternate costumes, I'm still really bothered that Little Mac's wireframe costume got eight additional palette swaps while Olimar's Alph costume and Male Wii Fit Trainer only get four each. In 8-Player Smash, you can have eight Wireframe Macs during a match, but only four Alphs and four Male WFTs. Same thing with Wario's overalls attire, Female Robin, etc.

I feel like characters who have costumes that turn them into another character or gender should get an additional eight skins. Likewise in addition to the Koopaling skins, I think Bowser Jr. should of gotten eight more palette swaps that let him be, well, Jr. I don't mind the Koopalings being his alts, but I just think it's weird that the character is predominately based on Jr. and his appearances and abilities in the NSMB games and yet he's only there like 1/8 of the time.

Ryce

I think Akira Yuki is the most likely non-Sonic Sega character, but he's not going to be added anytime soon. Yu Suzuki is practically Sega's Shigeru Miyamoto, and Virtua Fighter is his most commercially successful series. The first game was also a landmark in 3D graphics.

Ryce

I'd love Inkling girl, but I feel like they'd save her for the next Smash Bros game. It would be a huge incentive to buy it.
Ryu is a much bigger deal than an Inkling, and he would have been an exciting newcomer for the next Smash Bros. ("Second Capcom rep! Fighting game character!"), but Sakurai had no qualms about making him DLC. The Mario Maker stage could have easily been held off, too. Sakurai has said that he doesn't think about the next Smash Bros. until he's in preproduction, so if he considers Inkling an interesting and viable character then I don't think he's going to withhold the character for a sequel.

Sega should play it safe and use a character of theirs already accustomed to being in a fighting game crossover for a number 2, and no this isn't the usual Hornet joke, I'm talking about Selvaria Bles.
/still bitter there was no VC rep in All Stars Racing Transformed.

Azure J

In terms of second Sega reps, I'd want either NightS or Beat/Gum myself. UIala would be pretty hype too, but Nintendo has a bunch of dancer type characters I'd love to see in (Jimmy T, Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan Characters, Azura) and I don't want the spot jeopardized.

On the subject of alternate costumes, I'm still really bothered that Little Mac's wireframe costume got eight additional palette swaps while Olimar's Alph costume and Male Wii Fit Trainer only get four each. In 8-Player Smash, you can have eight Wireframe Macs during a match, but only four Alphs and four Male WFTs. Same thing with Wario's overalls attire, Female Robin, etc.

I feel like characters who have costumes that turn them into another character or gender should get an additional eight skins. Likewise in addition to the Koopaling skins, I think Bowser Jr. should of gotten eight more palette swaps that let him be, well, Jr. I don't mind the Koopalings being his alts, but I just think it's weird that the character is predominately based on Jr. and his appearances and abilities in the NSMB games and yet he's only there like 1/8 of the time.

Yep, should have been 9 Jr Colors and then the 7 Koopalings, 8 Alph, 8 Olimar, and 8 Overalls, 8 regular Wario.

Golnei

The more obscure the series became the "bigger" artist Raita Honjou made them like he was hoping no one would notice.

They're doing a reasonably good job of catering to the people who'd religiously buy series merchandise, at least. I don't particularly mind the general look Selvaria has - if the boobs were less ridiculous, it'd actually be a good design. But their current direction is clearly working well enough, so I'm in no position to judge. Perhaps the artist could get an Omega Labyrinth-esque browser game featuring the VC cast greenlit?

Serious talk: I firmly believe that if we get a second SEGA rep, it's going to be Tails.

It's definitely not what I'd want, but I agree that if anyone's going to be the second Sega representative, it'd have to be another Sonic character. No other franchise of theirs is anywhere near the same level as those of other third-party characters in terms of popularity, and the level of rabid infatuation its fans have towards it is almost without equal.

Though if the platform disparity wasn't there, they might have at least considered Kazuma Kiryu...

Though if the platform disparity wasn't there, they might have at least considered Kazuma Kiryu...

how could you possibly forget about rgg1+2 hd wii u
lol

All things considered, I'd probably put my bets on Eggman for a second Sega character. The Sonic series is just so big, and Eggman is a choice that probably most appeals to both new and old fans of the series, in addition to being very different from Sonic. He's easily one of the most iconic gaming antagonists, and probably the only consistently good thing about the Sonic series (I say this as a big Sonic fan).

Akira is interesting too. He pretty much headlines every Sega crossover where Sonic isn't, like both Project X Zone games, Fighters Megamix, and Fighting Climax (though he only appeared in half the Sega Superstars games for some reason). I just can't really see him in Smash, though. Think the Mii Costume is it (though it's still really cool he even has that imo).

NotLiquid

I'd love Inkling girl, but I feel like they'd save her for the next Smash Bros game. It would be a huge incentive to buy it.

I kind of thought this stood as an argument against them but at the same time I don't think this excuse holds much water anymore.

There's never been a real pattern as to what constitutes an inclusion on Nintendo's part or not, and Smash 4 is the first game that is lucky enough to get DLC for the game to extend it's longevity for a long time. Considering we only get a Smash game once every 6 years or so, and Sakurai might not be involved anymore in the future, they're definitely playing the long game with Smash 4. With the runaway success of Splatoon, there's probably a demographic out there who would ask themselves why the Inklings aren't playable in what is essentially Nintendo's all-star brawl. There's no saying when the next Smash game is going to be, if there will be one, and for that situation alone it'd be a huge waste to not capitalize on the Inklings' existence while their popularity is at their prime.

I wouldn't have put it passed Nintendo to have commissioned Sakurai's team to develop them as playable characters around the time near release due to the popularity the game was seeing. Considering Nintendo are still continuing Splatoon support to this degree, they definitely make the most sense to include as playable characters in terms of marketing perspective. That way they can really push Smash again this holiday alongside Mario Maker and Splatoon.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It should be the OutRun car.

I think Akira Yuki is the most likely non-Sonic Sega character, but he's not going to be added anytime soon. Yu Suzuki is practically Sega's Shigeru Miyamoto, and Virtua Fighter is his most commercially successful series. The first game was also a landmark in 3D graphics.

Why not both for Final Smash?
I know the car isn't exactly from OutRun. It was nice reference tho.

Golnei

Think the Mii Costume is it (though it's still really cool he even has that imo).

That's one of the only Mii costumes I bought, the way it channeled the original game's aesthetic was really well done; and suited the Mii proportions fairly well. If a Square-Enix DLC character ended up happening, I'd love it if they came out alongside a Cloud Mii costume based just as closely off his FF7 field model.

Why not both for Final Smash?

I'm not particularly invested in either, but having Jacky show up in his undisputed best costume might make him stand out enough to be a worthy addition.

2f32b39a1b.gif

Would people be against Ninja Garden's Ryu to be a fighter in Smash? It puts Tecmo Koei as another 3rd party in Smash, and represents 2 franchises at the same time with Ninja Gaiden, and the Dead or Alive series, yet another fighting game put into fray.

NotLiquid

This is just me spitballing here but considering the Super Mario Maker stage does anyone else find it a little odd that Splatoon never got a cross-promotion stage? They had six months of foresight for the game with a truckload of levels to pull from and yet Splatoon only got costumes which is a little weird. They could have just reskinned Lumiose City with Inkopolis and passed it off as a new stage.

Would make sense if they knew they would be designing Inklings as characters and held it off until then.

Source Gaming's poll results are in:
  1. Wolf
  2. Inkling
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Isaac
  5. Snake
  6. King K. Rool
  7. Bomberman
  8. Banjo & Kazooie
  9. Chibi-Robo
  10. Dixie Kong

The margin between Wolf and Inkling is incredibly small. The latter had more dedicated voters judging by results.

Azure J

I'm curious for an explanation on the total votes certain characters got. The max number is something like 1849 but I see a bunch of characters (interestingly, a lot of the top 10) only got 1300-ish votes.

Also, Takamaru sitting with a 504/500 split of want to not wanted with 333 indifferent/can be swayed. How did that happen?

Dont be dumb, it's an average of 5 votes and 1 votes. You can't vote a character down on the official ballot there fore this poll is skewed

The data is not skewed, it's a different type of data. I thought we explained how and why we organized the Individual Character Polls.

If you want a poll that's actually like the Official Ballot, then go into the Drive (link in the article) and download the Ultimate Smash Ballot poll data. That should theoretically be the most "accurate" (Huge air quotes as any fan poll isn't that accurate) portrayal of the ballot data as they say to only vote one time.

I'm curious for an explanation on the total votes certain characters got. The max number is something like 1849 but I see a bunch of characters (interestingly, a lot of the top 10) only got 1300-ish votes.

Also, Takamaru sitting with a 504/500 split of want to not wanted with 333 indifferent/can be swayed. How did that happen?

Read the explanation posts. There were 5 different parts, and not everyone voted in each part.

Azure J

The data is not skewed, it's a different type of data. I thought we explained how and why we organized the Individual Character Polls.

If you want a poll that's actually like the Official Ballot, then go into the Drive (link in the article) and download the Ultimate Smash Ballot poll data. That should theoretically be the most "accurate" (Huge air quotes as any fan poll isn't that accurate) portrayal of the ballot data as they say to only vote one time.

Read the explanation posts. There were 5 different parts, and not everyone voted in each part.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. :)

Crayolan

That there are enough people who want a new mii fighter class over other characters to get it into the top 20 is depressing.

Dont be dumb, it's an average of 5 votes and 1 votes. You can't vote a character down on the official ballot there fore this poll is skewed

I don't know why you're even complaining, 6th place is not bad at all. K Rool even has the highest number of 5's.

Thanks for collecting that.

And King K. Rool actually did pretty well. The data is measuring something like approval rating rather than actual votes, though I imagine number of 5s (highest approval) highly correlates with number of votes. K. Rool's approval is only brought down a little bit by those that don't want him as DLC (1s and 2s).

Go K. Rool!

J@hranimo

Banned
That list is interesting. The need for Wolf is strong, and yet...Ice Climbers bleh.

Personally I look forward to Etika's ballot results. Top 5 will probably be a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom