• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was replaying Ground Zeroes the other day, and when Big Boss looks at the screen and goes, "Kept ya waiting, huh," I just leaned back and cursed whatever forces in the universe gave us Snake in Brawl only to take him away in SSB4.

NM8ahKW.gif

Like who? Bubbles from Clu Clu land?

What old characters are even left that aren't in Smash?

Balloon Fighter is the most obvious absence I think.

That's assuming Smash NX, as a brand new game, will be a thing. Maybe Nintendo have different plans for the future of Smash and introducing Inklings earlier is the ideal scenario.

Yup. Something has to give eventually. If they don't do that, they either have to spend more money and more workmanship on every Smash game, or they have to offer fewer additions per game.

So who bets they "forget" one of the best final boss themes in gaming?

Heck, base the entire stage around that fight. My favorite part of the entire game. I hadn't had a boss fight feel so tense and fun in a very long time.

Also Splatfest final minute >>>>>>>>>>> stock final minute

They better not skimp on the music. The Splatoon soundtrack isn't particularly large, they could probably include 75% of it. This includes the single player song that features burps.

Jawmuncher

I was replaying Ground Zeroes the other day, and when Big Boss looks at the screen and goes, "Kept ya waiting, huh," I just leaned back and cursed whatever forces in the universe gave us Snake in Brawl only to take him away in SSB4.

metal-gear-solid-grou64udf.jpg

I'm still waiting actually snake.

Crayolan

Heck, base the entire stage around that fight. My favorite part of the entire game. I hadn't had a boss fight feel so tense and fun in a very long time.

They better not skimp on the music. The Splatoon soundtrack isn't particularly large, they could probably include 75% of it. This includes the single player song that features burps.

If Inklings are added and this song isn't I'm selling my copy of smash Wii U praying that hackers can fix this terrible atrocity.

kirby_fox

Banned
So, you guys think we'll get an Inkling reveal next week?

Gonna laugh if this winds up not being Inklings.

Curious if they do show up how amiibo will work. If we assume we have costumes for both girl and boy that is, then I'm curious if they just make 1 amiibo or it starts our Smash amiibo alts getting ones too.

RIP wallet.

Richie

Gonna laugh if this winds up not being Inklings.

Curious if they do show up how amiibo will work. If we assume we have costumes for both girl and boy that is, then I'm curious if they just make 1 amiibo or it starts our Smash amiibo alts getting ones too.

RIP wallet.

Koopaling Amiibo, Alph Amiibo, Female Robin, Male Wii Fit Trainer, Lady Villager...

Wireframe Mac would be amusing.

Tyeforce

I'm assuming the default Inkling will be a girl, so the amiibo will be that one.

Girl Inkling is the more popular one, right?

I have no doubt in my mind that if Inklings get in, the default render will be of the orange Inkling girl as seen in the official art and as the Inkling Girl amiibo.
They could also include the added headgear from the Inkling girl model that's used on the box art.

Alternatively, they may go the Agent 3 route, in which case I expect to see a green Inkling girl wearing the Hero Suit, as seen in the official art.

Whatever the case, it'll definitely be a female Inkling, since the Inkling girls seem to be the "primary" Inkling. It would also nicely balance out the default genders of characters with gender swaps in Smash Bros., making two males default (Villager and Robin) and now two females as well (Wii Fit Trainer and Inkling).

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm assuming the default Inkling will be a girl, so the amiibo will be that one.

Girl Inkling is the more popular one, right?

More thinking along the lines that they both already got amiibo.

So it'd be weird to have a Smash one of the girl, but not the boy and the boy still working.

Tyeforce

More thinking along the lines that they both already got amiibo.

So it'd be weird to have a Smash one of the girl, but not the boy and the boy still working.
This is why I'd kind of like to see the Smash Bros. Inkling be Agent 3 instead, because it solves all the awkwardness with the amiibo (and Mii Fighter outfits). You'd have the orange Inkling Girl, blue Inkling Boy, and green Inkling Squid Splatoon amiibo, and the green Agent 3 Smash Bros. amiibo, so four unique amiibo. They could potentially add new challenges for the Agent 3 amiibo in Splatoon, too.

Splatoon's character will be a generic Inkling or nobody, they're not going to represent Splatoon entirely with something from a relatively minor side mode.

Tyeforce

Splatoon's character will be a generic Inkling or nobody, they're not going to represent Splatoon entirely with something from a relatively minor side mode.
I wouldn't really call Octo Valley a minor side mode... Secondary to online play, perhaps, but not a minor side mode. And Agent 3 is still a generic Inkling, just wearing different gear. I do think that Agent 3 isn't nearly as likely, but I could see them making Inkling alternate outfits with both normal gear and the Hero Suit.

Crayolan

I'm guessing if the Inkling gets in their alternate colors will be like the villager's with 4 girls and 4 boys, with of course the Orange Female Inkling being the default. Costume 7/8 could definitely be the hero suit.

The alts for Inkling should be the other Inklings in the official artwork, covers a fair amount of gear in the game, the different eye color and skin tones too:

Last two alts being the hero gear from the single player.

With all of the gear in Splatoon, and the choice between gender. It would be a massive disservice to Inklings if they only had simple re-colors and gender swaps like Robin, who should've gotten alts based on their other classes like Grandmasters and Sage along with their gender swaps.

Edit: What would be very interesting is if Inklings only had 1 default and 1 alt, Girl and Boy, with their skin tone, and outfits being randomized everytime you start a game ala Mario Maker's stage. It won't happen, but it would be an interesting concept.

Give them Sprinklers for one of their special attacks, it's not related to my sub-weapon bias, honest

Golnei

I wonder if they'll have a dark-skinned Inkling as an option? It'd be a huge disappointment if they dropped the ball there.

I hope so - giving both amiibo the palest possible skintone was already bad enough. Going by the existing marketing material, I think 7/8 will be as light as possible, with the green-'haired' male Inkling having the middling tan skin colour.

Azure J

I hope that in a Smash 5 scenario, we could just import our inkling in one specific "color slot" and use that in matches. I've invested far too much time and effort into my inkling that playing as random inkling would feel weird. :lol

I hope that in a Smash 5 scenario, we could just import our inkling in one specific "color slot" and use that in matches. I've invested far too much time and effort into my inkling that playing as random inkling would feel weird. :lol
I feel the same way about Villager. The alternate skins are hideous. The only one I don't mind is the default female with pink hair.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, you guys think we'll get an Inkling reveal next week?
No. It'll be Mr Indie Game, who's a clone of Game & Watch except really really pixelly.

I feel the same way about Villager. The alternate skins are hideous. The only one I don't mind is the default female with pink hair.

Please. Everyone knows this is the best costume:
elA04hm.png

Yeah, it would be gutting if I couldn't play as mine:

Tyeforce

I wonder if they'll have a dark-skinned Inkling as an option? It'd be a huge disappointment if they dropped the ball there.
I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least one dark-skinned option, especially given that even Super Mario Maker features a dark-skinned one (the Inkling Squid Mystery Mushroom).
inkling-squid-pose.png

It'd be neat if in Smash 5 they let characters like Inkling/Villager/Robin have different parts of their body you could change the pallete/alt of. Think like getting to choose Robin's cloak color while keeping them the male variant with blonde hair, or changing the villager's eyes while keeping everything else about them the same.

If Smash 4's like Brawl, I'm assuming every character just has one big texture file their model pulls from rather than different parts of their body having their own unique texture file you could swap out with variations.

Mistle

Just got kicked off for maintenance. Never happened to me before. Is this routine?

Edit: wrong smash thread, but ah well!

Jezan

Just got kicked off for maintenance. Never happened to me before. Is this routine?

Edit: wrong smash thread, but ah well!

i was uploading my videos and I was also kicked, said I needed to update, the update is less than a minute. Probably fixing bugs?

Game is now Version 1.1.2 .

Fuck, I had so many replays left to upload, they are broken now

i was uploading my videos and I was also kicked, said I needed to update, the update is less than a minute. Probably fixing bugs?

Game is now Version 1.1.2 .

Fuck, I had so many replays left to upload, they are broken now

its to fix diddy kongs invincible grab

Golnei

It'd be neat if in Smash 5 they let characters like Inkling/Villager/Robin have different parts of their body you could change the pallete/alt of. Think like getting to choose Robin's cloak color while keeping them the male variant with blonde hair, or changing the villager's eyes while keeping everything else about them the same.

If Smash 4's like Brawl, I'm assuming every character just has one big texture file their model pulls from rather than different parts of their body having their own unique texture file you could swap out with variations.

That kind of customisation might be a little too in-depth or difficult to manage using the current system; but taunt-activated headgear like Project M Squirtle, applied to things like Lucina and Dedede's masks could work. That, combined with a total of 16 palettes for all characters and at least one full alternate model per character would probably be enough variation.

Also, where are you getting the single texture file for Brawl characters from? I was under the impression most characters had a few.

That kind of customisation might be a little too in-depth or difficult to manage using the current system; but taunt-activated headgear like Project M Squirtle, applied to things like Lucina and Dedede's masks could work. That, combined with a total of 16 palettes for all characters and at least one full alternate model per character would probably be enough variation.

Also, where are you getting the single texture file for Brawl characters from? I was under the impression most characters had a few.
It's been awhile so maybe I'm getting fan stuff mixed up,but I swear I remember last time I was browsing for Smash stuff in Modeller's Resource that the more basic characters like the Mario crew normally just having one big image file/UV map that wraps around their model, which would be a bit cumbersome with the 'mix and match different parts of a character' idea I had.

Golnei

they should put Ryo Hizuki in Smash

Indie characters will always be ineligible.

It's been awhile so maybe I'm getting fan stuff mixed up,but I swear I remember last time I was browsing for Smash stuff in Modeller's Resource that the more basic characters like the Mario crew normally just having one big image file/UV map that wraps around their model, which would be a bit cumbersome with the 'mix and match different parts of a character' idea I had.

I don't think I've ever looked at the Mario characters' textures, but from what I remember things like Snake's head, Link's weapons, Sheik's turban and Metaknight's mask were always in separate files, with characters like Zelda and Ganondorf having their costumes split up into two main textures. The various layers of the Palutena trophy's skirt had their own, as well as the shield, hair, stockings and underwear (which was one of the largest and most detailed). The single texture for the entire model could just be the case for the simpler characters, but I'll have to check - I think everyone's eyes had a few seperate files for their regular and Final Smash ones, at least. Perhaps putting the textures in a single file was done by whoever uploaded it to that site?

Dr. Buni

This is why I'd kind of like to see the Smash Bros. Inkling be Agent 3 instead, because it solves all the awkwardness with the amiibo (and Mii Fighter outfits). You'd have the orange Inkling Girl, blue Inkling Boy, and green Inkling Squid Splatoon amiibo, and the green Agent 3 Smash Bros. amiibo, so four unique amiibo. They could potentially add new challenges for the Agent 3 amiibo in Splatoon, too.
That is not going to happen. Customization is such a big part of Splatoon, that it would be weird to put Agent 3 in Smash instead of an "generic" Inkling with some different outfits, a la Villager.
I will be legitimately pissed off if there isn't at least one dark skinned alt for the Inklings. And I hope the dark skinned alt is a girl, not a boy. Or then give us two dark skin alts.

Golnei

I will be legitimately pissed off if there isn't at least one dark skinned alt for the Inklings. And I hope the dark skinned alt is a girl, not a boy. Or then give us two dark skin alts.

With 7 available skintones in Splatoon itself, they could easily fit all of them in - the standard Inkling girl and boy used in all of the promotional material, with another one for each of the remaining shades, alternating gender like the Robins and WFTs. That'd probably be the easiest way to represent the full breadth of Inkling visual options using the current alt setup.

batfax

they should put Ryo Hizuki in Smash

I'd honestly love if SEGA and Namco both got a second character that would bring something new. I'm just really not sure who that would be since third parties generally bring something big to the table or have a really big influence in gaming. Ryo sorta works thanks to Shenmue bringing open world and QTEs into the spotlight, and maybe Phantasy Star would fit for bringing such a major online experience to consoles (and even the only major one on Gamecube) but beyond that I have no clue.

I really need to play Splatoon at some point.

Draxal

Well, they did have Awakening's final boss theme in.

I'd honestly love if SEGA and Namco both got a second character that would bring something new. I'm just really not sure who that would be since third parties generally bring something big to the table or have a really big influence in gaming. Ryo sorta works thanks to Shenmue bringing open world and QTEs into the spotlight, and maybe Phantasy Star would fit for bringing such a major online experience to consoles (and even the only major one on Gamecube) but beyond that I have no clue.

I really need to play Splatoon at some point.

Jack Frost!

Dr. Buni

With 7 available skintones in Splatoon itself, they could easily fit all of them in - the standard Inkling girl and boy used in all of the promotional material, with another one for each of the remaining shades, alternating gender like the Robins and WFTs. That'd probably be the easiest way to represent the full breadth of Inkling visual options using the current alt setup.
I sorta doubt they will represent all the available skin tones, though. I find it more likely that we will get 6 or 7 white Inklings and 1 dark skinned, at most. But here's to hoping they represent all the available skin tones, cos diversity is a great thing.

Do you think each Inkling alt will have a different outfit?

Though I kinda dislike the dark skinned Inkling girl's outfit, I think they might use these outfits if each alt have a different outfit:

Golnei

I sorta doubt they will represent all the available skin tones, though. I find it more likely that we will get 6 or 7 white Inklings and 1 dark skinned, at most. But here's to hoping they represent all the available skin tones, cos diversity is a great thing.

Do you think each Inkling alt will have a different outfit?

Though I kinda dislike the dark skinned Inkling girl's outfit, I think they might use these outfits if each alt have a different outfit:

I agree that the much more likely option is having them all be white, or 7 pale Inklings and 1 sort of tanned one; but I just wanted to point out how neatly Splatoon's existing options fit into the way Smash 4 categorises alts, should they want to use all the options available to them. After all, the Villager shows as much variance as was possible in the game they were basing them off; and giving the Inklings all of their possible skintones would take far less work than that.

For the outfits, who can say. There's so much variety in Splatoon that replicating the ones from the marketing, creating entirely new ones, or just going with different shirt designs and the Agent 3 armour are all equally plausible. The precedent of Villager would suggest they'd go for new models for each, while Robin shows a single model per gender with different palettes is also a possibility.

Dr. Buni

I agree that the much more likely option is having them all be white, or 7 pale Inklings and 1 sort of tanned one; but I just wanted to point out how neatly Splatoon's existing options fit into the way Smash 4 categorises alts, should they want to use all the options available to them. After all, the Villager shows as much variance as was possible in the game they were basing them off; and giving the Inklings all of their possible skintones would take far less work than that.

For the outfits, who can say. There's so much variety in Splatoon that replicating the ones from the marketing, creating entirely new ones, or just going with different shirt designs and the Agent 3 armour are all equally plausible. The precedent of Villager would suggest they'd go for new models for each, while Robin shows a single model per gender with different palettes is also a possibility.
You are right. Lets hope they take (or took?) Splatoon's emphasis on customization in consideration when developing the Inklings in Smash.

The Inklings have so much potential for alts, unique moveset (a shame DLC characters don't have customs), a great stage even. It's no surprise that there aren't many people against the idea of Inklings being playable in Smash. Though maybe the people against the Inklings also realized they will be in Smash sooner or later, so there is no point in posting counter arguments against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom