• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

This makes me believe that every newcomer dlc will be bundled with a stage like Ryu. Like Inklings and Inkopolis, King K. Rool with his ship.

My first thought as well. Ryu already sets a pretty decent precedent for that, so the fact that Super Mario Maker was a game to get a cross promotional unique stage yet Splatoon hadn't (in spite of the crazy marketing that game was getting by Nintendo standards) is pretty suspect in retrospect.

Richie

King K. Rool as the third most requested newcomer, with the massively popular Inklings unsurprisingly at first place, is actually quite favorable results.

It is not the most requested it is the most tolerated, like more people want K.Rool than Isaac but Isaac has less haters so Isaac ranks higher

I say skewed because even tho the poll is measuring this data the actual ballot has no option for a negative vote. You can only vote FOR, not AGAINST

It is an opinion poll about the approval ratings of a long list (too long, maybe...) of Nintendo and third party characters. I don't see what's disingenuous about it unless the reader skims and misses the purpose of the work. "Approval ratings", even if they are not the same thing as ballot votes, are still an interesting question to have data for.

I don't understand why we're still having polls when:

a) The ballot is over
b) Most people voted 5-6 months ago

We know who the popular characters are. Occasionally a fad character shows up, but generally speaking, the results always stay the same. Even my fellow K. Rool fans are guilty of this. They fixate on these polls constantly. All they do is give people a false sense of security.

It is not the most requested it is the most tolerated, like more people want K.Rool than Isaac but Isaac has less haters so Isaac ranks higher

I say skewed because even tho the poll is measuring this data the actual ballot has no option for a negative vote. You can only vote FOR, not AGAINST

I agree. Nonetheless, these results are interesting. Like you said, K. Rool has more likes than any other character, but he has more dislikes than "safer" choices such as the Inklings.

woopWOOP

Oh, I think I forgot to participate in this poll.

Twinbee near rock bottom :( even for an opinion poll that stings
(it's not like he'll ever appear in anything other than a pure Konami All-Stars game anymore anyway)

And Simon Belmont didn't make the top 20? Boo!

The top 10 is alright, but nothing that would make me overly excited... maybe aside from K.Rool, just because he'd make another new heavyweight character.

backlot

I agree. Nonetheless, these results are interesting. Like you said, K. Rool has more likes than any other character, but he has more dislikes than "safer" choices such as the Inklings.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if they're going to try to pick characters with broader appeal as opposed to large cult followings. Doesn't seem like the info gathered from the official Smash Ballot would really be able to distinguish between the two.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if they're going to try to pick characters with broader appeal as opposed to large cult followings. Doesn't seem like the info gathered from the official Smash Ballot would really be able to distinguish between the two.

Let's be honest, Roy wouldn't have been DLC if this were the case. Some characters just have vocal hate bases. K. Rool appears to be one of them.

86 - Pichu
latest

I wonder why the sharp decline. Pichu usually hovers around the 20s, sometimes even beating Squirtle or Ivysaur.

Tyeforce

That is not going to happen. Customization is such a big part of Splatoon, that it would be weird to put Agent 3 in Smash instead of an "generic" Inkling with some different outfits, a la Villager.
I never suggested there wouldn't be customization among the Inkling's alternate outfits, just that the Hero Suit could potentially be the default outfit for the Inklings in Smash Bros. I wouldn't really expect it over the normal Inkling look, but I could understand it if they want to differentiate it from the Inkling Mii Fighter outfits and Splatoon amiibo.

Source Gaming's poll results are in:
  1. Wolf
  2. Inkling
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Isaac
  5. Snake
  6. King K. Rool
  7. Bomberman
  8. Banjo & Kazooie
  9. Chibi-Robo
  10. Dixie Kong
This is one of the best (if not the best) Smash Bros. fan polls that I've seen so far, but I still think that some things should have been handled a bit differently with this poll. For example, since they allowed some vague terms like "New Mii Class" and "New Pokémon Trainer," there should have been an option for "Rhythm Heaven character," since there's really no real consensus on who or what the Rhythm Heaven rep would be, and most people only choose Chorus Kids because they were mentioned in the Gematsu leak. Unlike with most other franchises, it seems that people don't want to see a specific character from Rhythm Heaven in Smash Bros., they just want to see ANY Rhythm Heaven character in Smash Bros. I have no doubt that a Rhythm Heaven character would have polled quite a bit higher in that scenario. Instead, the votes are split up between different characters like Chorus Kids, Marshal, Karate Joe, etc., and I'm sure there's a good chuck of people who just didn't vote for a specific Rhythm Heaven character, too, because they're not sure which one to vote for.

Javier

1. Wolf
  2. Inkling
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Isaac
  5. Snake
  6. King K. Rool
  7. Bomberman
  8. Banjo & Kazooie
  9. Chibi-Robo
  10. Dixie Kong
11.- Shovel Knight
12.- Impa
13.- Shantae
14.- Wonder Red
15.- Rayman
16.- Professor Layton
17.- Bandana Dee
18.- Krystal
19.- Phoenix Wright
20.- New Mii Class
21.- Simon Belmont
22.- Ridley
23.- Waluigi
24.- Tetra
25.- Squirtle
26.- Paper Mario
27.- Bayonetta
28.- Takamaru
29.- Ivysaur
30.- Amaterasu

I agree that this is a very good poll since it tends to showcase better the overall opinion of a character rather than just voting in favor. It puts certain characters like Pichu on better perspective, meaning that while he has a supportive fanbase, a lot of people don't want him due to his status as a clone and a joke character.

kirby_fox

Banned
Let's be honest, Roy wouldn't have been DLC if this were the case. Some characters just have vocal hate bases. K. Rool appears to be one of them.

I think with Roy you saw a lot of fans being the silent majority over the vocal hate you so often saw with him. There were a lot of Roy fans I know in real life, while online it was mostly hate. Around here it felt less like hate for Roy and more hate for Fire Emblem having another character.

K Rool seems to have both kinds of fans, very vocal groups that want him in and very vocal groups who don't.

latest

I wonder why the sharp decline. Pichu usually hovers around the 20s, sometimes even beating Squirtle or Ivysaur.

If people can vote against characters in this poll, there's a lot of people who seem to not want Pichu to return. His status as a "joke" character in Melee for instance. It's only people like you and me, who want Pichu changed and made competitive, that seem to want the character back in.

Crayolan

If people can vote against characters in this poll, there's a lot of people who seem to not want Pichu to return. His status as a "joke" character in Melee for instance. It's only people like you and me, who want Pichu changed and made competitive, that seem to want the character back in.

If Pichu somehow returns I'd want him to be even more of a joke character, otherwise why Pichu of all characters? He's there to laugh about, be cute, and embarass people when they lose to him. That's it.

A "serious" Pichu is completely missing the point IMO.

Roo

Even tho I'm not really a fan of the Inklings, I'm one of those who believe Nintendo should save them for the next Smash game.
Relegate them (or any high profile character for that matter) to mere DLC where not even half of the userbase will purchase them seems asinine

Let's face it, it'll be hard for them to top Smash 4 in any meaningful way so saving one of the most requested (most original??) characters for the next game would be a nice way to keep the hype for franchise going.

If Pichu somehow returns I'd want him to be even more of a joke character, otherwise why Pichu of all characters? He's there to laugh about, be cute, and embarass people when they lose to him. That's it.

Because Pichu would be an incredibly easy character to bring back. 75% of his animations are already in Smash 4 and his voice just comes from the Pokemon Company's sound bank.

I think you'd find a lot of people buying Pichu out of nostalgia.

Zubz

Banned
Because Pichu would be an incredibly easy character to bring back. 75% of his animations are already in Smash 4 and his voice just comes from the Pokemon Company's sound bank.

I think you'd find a lot of people buying Pichu out of nostalgia.

Pichu'd definitely sell, but a lot of people that are into Smash would rather have a newcomer, rather than a clone they bashed the first time around.

Granted, I'm in the small Pichu support group, so I'm biased.

I would love Pichu back for the sake of having nearly every Smash fighter back in Wii U/3DS. Plus, if Pichu were to be built as a weaker version of SSB4 Pikachu, then he would still be better than Mewtwo.

Pichu wasn't even the worst character in Melee lol

I would love Pichu back for the sake of having nearly every Smash fighter back in Wii U/3DS
Pichu would mean Ice Climbers were the only Melee vet not in Smash 4. Although ICs are more Brawl vets at this point.

I don't understand why we're still having polls when:

a) The ballot is over
b) Most people voted 5-6 months ago

We know who the popular characters are. Occasionally a fad character shows up, but generally speaking, the results always stay the same. Even my fellow K. Rool fans are guilty of this. They fixate on these polls constantly. All they do is give people a false sense of security.

The ballot doesn't have to be running for these polls to be useful. In fact, regarding the question of identifying "fad" characters (i.e. those with fleeting popularity), the more polls the better. With these polls it is possible, for example, to point to K. Rool as a character with enduring popularity and Shovel Knight as a character whose popularity is comparatively fleeting. (Note that "fad" characters might still acquire a great number of ballot votes, even if their support is more time-dependent).

Does time introduce some bias into these polls? Probably. Consider, for example, some new revelation by Sakurai that he does not like portly characters or characters from games released this year. This might make people who voted for characters like King K. Rool and Inkling wary of voting for these characters in fan polls; they might choose another character they voted for (or supported) instead. In their minds, Sakurai's comments might "disqualify" votes for Inkling and K. Rool. As time passes, new information might arise that might affect how people express their choices. While biases like this one and others exist, I think these polls (and this poll, in particular) is very useful, even if just for its novelty among other fan polls.

K Rool seems to have both kinds of fans, very vocal groups that want him in and very vocal groups who don't.

That is a very facile way of describing the data from the poll. K. Rool might have a higher percentage of people who disapprove of him (1s and 2s) than Inkling and a few others, but those in his favor (4s and 5s) are in the majority (approximately 60%). This is better than the vast majority of characters and not too far away from Inkling's and Wolf's own approval percentage (approximately 69% and 70%, respectively). Your wording implies more equality between those who actively approve of K. Rool and those who actively disapprove of the character. That does not seem to be the case at all.

Azure J

1. Wolf
  2. Inkling
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Isaac
  5. Snake
  6. King K. Rool
  7. Bomberman
  8. Banjo & Kazooie
  9. Chibi-Robo
  10. Dixie Kong

11.- Shovel Knight
12.- Impa
13.- Shantae
14.- Wonder Red
15.- Rayman
16.- Professor Layton
17.- Bandana Dee
18.- Krystal
19.- Phoenix Wright
20.- New Mii Class
21.- Simon Belmont
22.- Ridley
23.- Waluigi
24.- Tetra
25.- Squirtle
26.- Paper Mario
27.- Bayonetta
28.- Takamaru
29.- Ivysaur
30.- Amaterasu

I agree that this is a very good poll since it tends to showcase better the overall opinion of a character rather than just voting in favor. It puts certain characters like Pichu on better perspective, meaning that while he has a supportive fanbase, a lot of people don't want him due to his status as a clone and a joke character.

Bolded the guys & gals I wanna see most, italicized those I'd be interested in but aren't "must want" tier. Honestly, I'd be extremely excited for a Smash that could incorporate 6 out of the bolded.

Also, yeah, this poll format I prefer a lot because it nixes sentiments like "not voted = not liked/popular and instead asks folks to consider characters based on their strengths or what they'd bring to the Smash roster.

kirby_fox

Banned

Pichu has a fan base, that's why. I always think back to the quote Sakurai said about cutting characters, and that he understands that every character has a fan base and that cutting a character hurts to do because that's a bunch of fans who can't play as their favorite character.

I think having Pichu come back and changing like they did Roy would be awesome. I'd love to see the headbutt turned into iron tail for instance.

Translation:
"Every fan poll/survey that doesn't have K. Rool at #1 is a fraud"
Translation: you are being abrasive for no reason cause I forgot your name one time. That was one time!

Also wrong, some one else was trying to boost the thought that K.Rool "isn't as popular as we say" cause he got 6th here. I corrected it cause of the poll format, that is all. It is hardly the first poll he did not get first but he has always been high!

Tyeforce

Even tho I'm not really a fan of the Inklings, I'm one of those who believe Nintendo should save them for the next Smash game.
Relegate them (or any high profile character for that matter) to mere DLC where not even half of the userbase will purchase them seems asinine

Let's face it, it'll be hard for them to top Smash 4 in any meaningful way so saving one of the most requested (most original??) characters for the next game would be a nice way to keep the hype for franchise going.
I've seen lots of people say this about Inkling, but I don't get it. Why hold a character back for a potential game whose existence isn't even certain? Yes, chances are we're more than likely going to get another Smash Bros. game eventually, but we have no idea when that will be or what it will be like. It's WAY too early to start talking about characters for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. 6, and even more so to talk about holding back characters.

Besides, even if they do the bare minimum for the next Smash Bros. game and just port Super Smash Bros. for Wii U over to NX (which is what a lot of people think might happen, and I believe that it's the best thing to do at this point) with all the DLC included, it's going to be enough for people to buy it (especially if the NX isn't backwards compatible with Wii U games, but I personally don't think that will be the case). Maybe they could throw in a couple newcomers, along with some new stages, game modes, etc., but there's no need to intentionally hold back a potential 3DS/Wii U DLC newcomer for the next game. That's just silly. There's no shortage of Nintendo characters to choose from, and there will continue to be new ones created as well.

Bolded the guys & gals I wanna see most, italicized those I'd be interested in but aren't "must want" tier. Honestly, I'd be extremely excited for a Smash that could incorporate 6 out of the bolded.

BROTIP: Italicize parts of quotes on NeoGAF to hide information easily from people using default mobile skin.

The poll, well. Is anybody going to search for pairs of characters with most/least compatible fandoms? This could be interesting...

Ya that Inkling argument reaks of reaching to me.

With lots of newcomer choices people go for the low hanging fruit options for attacks, usually either Boring or Irrelevant. But with characters where you can not say that with a straight face, the attacks just become stupid. You can not say Inklings are boring or irrelevant, so it is just "Their Ink Would Not Work" or "They Might Be Held Back."

Might be held back, you mean like any newcomer choice ever might be held back? Haha

Platy

I will never understand people asking for wolf to come back ... do you guys want a new moveset or something ?

Why waste a slot on a character that we already had and has a similar moveset ?

Ask for Pigma or Andross or something

I will never understand people asking for wolf to come back ... do you guys want a new moveset or something ?

Because people care about the character, not the moveset. That's the way it should be. Plus, Wolf should have never been removed in the first place.

Translation: you are being abrasive for no reason cause I forgot your name one time. That was one time!

Nah, I just really don't like how abusive you are towards people who don't like or care about K. Rool, or think that he isn't necessarily going to be included, and express their opinion.

You're not even passive-aggressive, you're just outright aggressive.

Neiteio

I'm head over heels in love with MGSV right now.

I need Metal Gear in Smash Bros. Pls, Sakurai. ;_;

Punished "Venom" Snake with Quiet Assist Trophy.

Mother Base stage with Sahelanthropus stage hazard. (Not a spoiler, don't worry)

Quiet's Theme and Sins of the Father for BGM.

I don't care it's not on a Nintendo system. Neither was MGS4.

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaiii!

Andross isn't feasible as a playable character, and why do you think Pigma would be more interesting than Fox's long-time rival?

Also, Wolf's moveset is not similar to Fox's. Wolf shares 0 attack animations with Fox. They use the same limbs for an attack in 2 cases (U Smash and... B Air I think), where both of them kick, but still quite differently from each other. Otherwise, Fox and Wolf share absolutely no normal moves.

Wolf's special moves, while similar, yes, are not cloned moves. They are moves that try to convey a similar yet different gist of Fox's specials, and there's still a massive amount of differences between them. Mechanically, they're not at all similar.

Wolf and Fox play nothing alike.

Down Taunt: Ganondorf draws a sword.

hidden09_080318g-l.jpg

He takes out the sword he stole from the six Sages and takes a look at it.

hidden09_080318h-l.jpg

... Then puts it away.

What are you putting it away for? Use it! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this.

-----

The best video game marketing campaign ever. I got sad when the Smash 4 website went up two years ago when I thought the Smash Dojo was gone instead of just redirected.

EDIT: Looking at Ganondorf's picture makes me realize I think he actually has a better looking model in Brawl, at least his face. His bigger looking, less sunk in eyes and awful smooth skin texture in his Wii U face makes him look like a muppet crafted out of clay, and I can't stand how he never opens his mouth all the way.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's nice to see the poll but I felt that the poll is more of approval rating to me which is very interesting.

Isaac being #4, My ass. Well, he might be well-liked by online smash communities but the fact is that we are in the minority. Those polls doesn't matter because Nintendo sold about 10M copies of Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U together.) I would like to emphasize that we might have about 150k to 1M people voting for the characters that they would see. So I want to remind ourselves that we are really in minority, since the poll only had nearly 2k votes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are most popular characters whom have been heavily requested by hardcore fans wouldn't able to become playable characters. In my opinion, Inkling out of all popular characters would have high chance to make it out.

latest

Well, remember the poll is like approval rating so I'm not surprised that there are some people that don't really want to see Pichu coming back because they thought Pichu is a shitty character.

His special moves are also powered up, but the one thing you can’t do is ride his bike.

Don’t do it.

This may seem like a joke, but you absolutely must not ride it.

wario_071128f-l.jpg

Tooooooo faaaaaaaaast!!!

-----

The best video game marketing campaign ever. I got sad when the Smash 4 website went up two years ago when I thought the Smash Dojo was gone instead of just redirected.

This and the "he pants while running" are probably the greatest quotes on the Dojo. I always imagine Ganondorf slumping in rejection while surrounded by a mocking crowdg.

PK Gaming

-----

Without a doubt. I remember working up even earlier than usual just to catch the smash update before heading out to school.

I don't think it'll ever be topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom