• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
hidden09.jpg

Something I just noticed about Ganondorf's Brawl artwork--his right hand is clipping right through his gauntlet.

EDIT: Looking at Ganondorf's picture makes me realize I think he actually has a better looking model in Brawl, at least his face. His bigger looking, less sunk in eyes and awful smooth skin texture in his Wii U face makes him look like a muppet crafted out of clay, and I can't stand how he never opens his mouth all the way.

His 3DS model is flat-out hideous, especially when it zooms into him for a couple of his win animations.

Like, yikes...

I have noticed i've used Ganondorf significantly less in 3DS/Wii U than Brawl because he just looks a bit dopier, I'm so shallow.

Safe to say Ganondorf benefited from Brawl's greater commitment to "realism" in its designs, meant they could just go full on TP with him.

Dr. Buni

I just want to agree that Smash 4 Ganondorf looks really really weird compared to Brawl Ganondorf. I don't know what they were thinking... Some of the changes they made, like the scar and his cape just made he look a lot worse. Plus, his pose in the Smash 4 artwork is... not very Ganondorf-y

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ganondorf looks weird in Smash 4. Wario also looks off to me, especially in the Wii U version. He looks better in the 3DS version for some reason.

- His nose is the wrong shade of pink (literally should be patched)
- His gloves are gray instead of white
- Some of his facial animations are inconsistent

nq3UYfJ.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It is a con when his animations are completely different depending on which version of the game you play. The off nose color is what bothers me the most. I have a feeling that he was one of the last veterans they finished making.

If anything, the render is too bright. Wario's nose colour has fluctuated over the years, sometimes it has a more purpley tone, other times it's more pink. It's never really settled on one tone. Also that one screenshot makes it much darker than usual.

mRjY3n1.jpg

Here it looks perfectly fine and far from literally needing a patch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are you serious about complaining about Wario's nose?

Man, I forget how much young Ike look in Brawl.

God I miss the Dojo.

Yeah, the hype behind Dojo was so amazing, and the site itself is pretty awesome too. However Picture of the Day didn't compare to Dojo but Smash Community here really make it more fun and exciting. SmashGAF have been awesome during Smash 4 Hype.(most of time, mind you)

Tyeforce

When talking about "off" colors in Smash Bros., are people keeping in mind that a character's colors can appear very different depending on the lighting of the stage? Especially in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I noticed a LOT of this when I was recreating the official Miis for the Mii Fighter outfits. Lots of comparing screenshots with gameplay, not always on the same stage, and the lighting does make a HUGE difference. It was kind of hard to find the exact skin or hair color for some Miis because of that.

Richie

The Dojo was indeed great, and kept on delivering even after the leak happened and we knew everything.

In the Game & Watch games, the only sounds are beeps. Since there was nothing which you could really call music per se, we used the sound as a base and created the music with it.

And it turned out kind of...dark. Cool.

It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue.

...Well, those are just my idle thoughts.

FSLink

Banned
I will never understand people asking for wolf to come back ... do you guys want a new moveset or something ?

Why waste a slot on a character that we already had and has a similar moveset ?

Ask for Pigma or Andross or something

His moveset is completely different from Fox's, and he was already made and has a pretty big fanbase. What's so hard to understand?

Golnei

I'll never get over how terrible Ganondorf's model is, either. Especially with the HW model to contrast against, the face being a notable step down from Brawl aesthetically is impossible to ignore. Taking Melee into account, maybe every second game is just cursed to have a hideous mockery of Ganondorf - in Smash 5, he'll be less competitively viable than Brawl, but he'll inspire more frothing desire than Hyrule Warriors.

I'm head over heels in love with MGSV right now.

I need Metal Gear in Smash Bros. Pls, Sakurai. ;_;

Punished "Venom" Snake with Quiet Assist Trophy.

Mother Base stage with Sahelanthropus stage hazard. (Not a spoiler, don't worry)

Quiet's Theme and Sins of the Father for BGM.

I don't care it's not on a Nintendo system. Neither was MGS4.

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaiii!

Outer Heaven would be a better choice of stage, mixing in elements from MG1 and GB - it'd be the missing link MGSV never could be.

For the music, I'd be happy with just Sins of the Father, A Phantom Pain and Behind the Drapery - maybe they could include the Snake Eater cover as well.

Neoxon

I will never understand people asking for wolf to come back ... do you guys want a new moveset or something ?

Why waste a slot on a character that we already had and has a similar moveset ?

Ask for Pigma or Andross or something
Because Wolf shouldn't have been removed in the first place.

All the ganondorf talk just makes me wish that they'd use Hyrule Warriors designs for the zelda characters because they're amazing. Lu-budorf is magnificent, Shiek in HW is the first design of them I've truly liked and while wind-waker and skyward sword are my favourite incarnations of zelda, the HW version is still pretty neat.

Neoxon

All the ganondorf talk just makes me wish that they'd use Hyrule Warriors designs for the zelda characters because they're amazing. Lu-budorf is magnificent, Shiek in HW is the first design of them I've truly liked and while wind-waker and skyward sword are my favourite incarnations of zelda, the HW version is still pretty neat.
I've touched on this before, we don't know where Sakurai stands on third-party spin-off designs. He could like them & want to use them or disregard them altogether, we just don't know.

Golnei

The designs aren't bad, but they are a little more generic compared to the ones from mainline games. Using them would sacrifice a fair portion of Zelda's identity, which would be particularly detrimental in a crossover - though they'd be okay as alts. For the main models, I'd be okay with them just taking cues from HW in terms of face models - SSB4 Link or Ganondorf with their Hyrule Warriors equivalents' faces would look fine.

Vidiot

Yeah HW Ganondorf is freaking awesome. Never thought a spinoff would completely out do a main series game in character design but HW nailed it.

Nah, I just really don't like how abusive you are towards people who don't like or care about K. Rool, or think that he isn't necessarily going to be included, and express their opinion.

You're not even passive-aggressive, you're just outright aggressive.

Abusive? Lol this is not a Roahl Dahl novel

If some ass makes a hyper-bolic statement about how he is ugly or how "the game will be ruined single handedly if he is in" then I will say some thing but you are just wrong sir

Dr. Buni

I don't really like the HW redesigns, so I am glad they stayed with the Twilight Princess incarnations, which are much better (especially Zelda herself). To be honest, I like the Skyward Sword incarnations a lot ones more, it's a shame SS Ganondorf isn't a thing. Otherwise we would likely have them in Smash now.
His moveset is completely different from Fox's, and he was already made and has a pretty big fanbase. What's so hard to understand?
His moveset isn't completely different than Fox's. Also, pretty big fanbase is stretching it. I do want Wolf back, though.

The designs aren't bad, but they are a little more generic compared to the ones from mainline games. Using them would sacrifice a fair portion of Zelda's identity, which would be particularly detrimental in a crossover - though they'd be okay as alts. For the main models, I'd be okay with them just taking cues from HW in terms of face models - SSB4 Link or Ganondorf with their Hyrule Warriors equivalents' faces would look fine.
Face models? from HW? For link?
tumblr_ntetw9lg9I1uougi7o3_500.gif

I didn't think they were all that generic though. HW Sheik is just all kinds of awesome to me and HW ganondorf is the most imposing he's ever been to me. It's also the first I've ever felt my heart skip a beat at seeing Link XD

The Ganondorf from Hyrule Warriors would be garbage for Smash. Smash is a celebration of a character's history and using a design that walks all over a character's consistent design elements (consistent in all three appearances) in the name of "looking cool" is not something we need in Smash.

Yeah HW Ganondorf is freaking awesome. Never thought a spinoff would completely out do a main series game in character design but HW nailed it.

But it didn't? Ganondorf is a mess and horribly inconsistent with 20 years of consistent character design. Ganondorf is the best example of how wrong a design can go when you put "coolness" above a character's traditional design. It's not Ganondorf, it's a green skinned orange haired generic anime villain with nothing about it that makes it Ganondorf.

Abusive? Lol this is not a Roahl Dahl novel

If some ass makes a hyper-bolic statement about how he is ugly or how "the game will be ruined single handedly if he is in" then I will say some thing but you are just wrong sir
Except nobody has and you sometimes argue with people who don't even exist just to sate your victim complex (I was genuinely stunned when you mocked the people responding to one of Gonzo's earlier posts... mainly because there weren't any o_O )

I also don't think that saying that king k rool looks like someone's first blender project is even remotely hyperbolic... if anything it's insulting to anyone who's ever used blender :p

I dunno where you see those hordes of people who call him ugly (not that this matters at all, since ugliness is subjective anyway? Like, why the fuck do you care if somebody thinks a character is ugly?) or that he would ruin the game single-handedly, because the majority of people in this thread are indifferent or in favour of the inclusion of K. Rool.
It's you who constantly goes on tirades, posting sarcastic remarks like "Oh, here come the people calling K. Rool fans delusional!!" or calling the Nintendo ballot a sham if K. Rool doesn't get in.

His moveset isn't completely different than Fox's. Also, pretty big fanbase is stretching it. I do want Wolf back, though.

His normal moveset for sure is.
His specials are similar in what they do, but also have more than enough differences to consider them unique.

Except nobody has and you sometimes argue with people who don't even exist just to sate your victim complex (I was genuinely stunned when you mocked the people responding to one of Gonzo's earlier posts... mainly because there weren't any o_O )

I also don't think that saying that king k rool looks like someone's first blender project is even remotely hyperbolic... if anything it's insulting to anyone who's ever used blender :p

See it is stuff like the last bit that people think is so drop dead funny and witty and totes hilar but its really not? Just sad for the most part. Like do you really have to bring down some one else's fav to make your self feel good? That is play ground bully behavior. You should talk of playing victim cuz lots of people make those toxic kind of insults so much but then when some one responds, you back right off and act like it is their fault for not taking the insult. What

Also I am sure I saw a comment in here lately from that one user with the Purple Inkling avatar about how K.Rool fans are MEAN. How many of them do you see calling other chars ugly tho?

Edit, or blowing up a simple observation of a poll to yell how I am just mad K.Rool was not #1 ;)

Why the hell do you care so much about other people's interpretation of beauty or the lack thereof?
I mean if you think K. Rool is an aesthetically pleasing design, that's your prerogative, but why are you trying to convince people who do not believe so that they are wrong and being so antagonistic towards them?

"I don't like how this design looks." "WELL YOU'RE WRONG AND AN ASS."

Who is the bully here, again?

Wario looks fine. Improvement over Brawl where his face felt too static. His expressions in SSB4 got the Dedede treatment.
Same here, speaking as someone who's still annoyed at how little Land is repped in his moveset
despite maining him in both Brawl and Smash 4
. Reading that translated article on Source-Gaming about how they intentionally gave Wario 'Famicon-like' animations was just weird (he's not even a NES-era character!), and I'm really glad Smash 4 does away with it because he looks way more lively and in-character having more frames for him to squash, stretch and bounce in.

Zubz

Banned
Man, I remember the Dojo! That was back when I was in high school, so I actually went to bed at a reasonable time and went directly to school, so I didn't see the Dojo posts until, like, 12 hours later. I can only imagine how much I would've missed had I been on GAF at that time.

Dr. Buni

His normal moveset for sure is.
His specials are similar in what they do, but also have more than enough differences to consider them unique.
I am not arguing that Wolf is a clone of Fox or anything, I just pointed out that saying Wolf's moveset is completely different is, well, wrong.
Why the hell do you care so much about other people's interpretation of beauty or the lack thereof?
I mean if you think K. Rool is an aesthetically pleasing design, that's your prerogative, but why are you trying to convince people who do not believe so that they are wrong and being so antagonistic towards them?

It is better to just ignore UglyRareCharacter, lol

I dunno where you see those hordes of people who call him ugly (not that this matters at all, since ugliness is subjective anyway? Like, why the fuck do you care if somebody thinks a character is ugly?) or that he would ruin the game single-handedly, because the majority of people in this thread are indifferent or in favour of the inclusion of K. Rool.
It's you who constantly goes on tirades, posting sarcastic remarks like "Oh, here come the people calling K. Rool fans delusional!!" or calling the Nintendo ballot a sham if K. Rool doesn't get in.

To be fair, that was me.

Because it's shallow. If somebody went around saying "Wolf looks like he was drawn by a pre-schooler LOL" every time the character got brought up, I'm sure you wouldn't be pleased. Context is important here. Usually when people refer to K. Rool as ugly, it's accompanied by "he doesn't deserve to be in the game". Well then, I guess they better cut Wario. There were plenty of "K. Rool is ugly" posts pre-release, but the hate (at least on GAF) has started to simmer down.

alpafLH.png

Vidiot

The Ganondorf from Hyrule Warriors would be garbage for Smash. Smash is a celebration of a character's history and using a design that walks all over a character's consistent design elements (consistent in all three appearances) in the name of "looking cool" is not something we need in Smash.

But it didn't? Ganondorf is a mess and horribly inconsistent with 20 years of consistent character design. Ganondorf is the best example of how wrong a design can go when you put "coolness" above a character's traditional design. It's not Ganondorf, it's a green skinned orange haired generic anime villain with nothing about it that makes it Ganondorf.

He looks almost the same as TP Ganondorf with super sayian 3 hair. I just prefer the longer, wilder hair look for him. How is it nothing like Ganondorf?

FSLink

Banned
I am not arguing that Wolf is a clone of Fox or anything, I just pointed out that saying Wolf's moveset is completely different is, well, wrong.

Okay, cool, you pointed out that it's not "completely" outside of like 2 moves.

It's different enough that anybody seriously saying they're similar has a huge misunderstanding of how the characters work. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Sponge

Banned
Because it's shallow. If somebody went around saying "Wolf looks like he was drawn by a pre-schooler LOL" every time the character got brought up, I'm sure you wouldn't be pleased. There were plenty of "K. Rool is ugly" posts pre-release, but the hate (at least on GAF) has started to simmer down.

I remember quite a few posts whenever I'd bring up K. Rool pre-Smash 4 release and they were just straight up distasteful. I agree that it has simmered down.

Dr. Buni

You can find similar statements in regards of pretty much any character. "If Shovel Knight gets in, I am dropping Smash for sure", "If Dixie Kong get in instead of K. Rool, I am quitting Smash until Sakurai stops being the director!!!", etc.

It is not a K. Rool-specific thing.

He looks almost the same as TP Ganondorf with super sayian 3 hair. I just prefer the longer, wilder hair look for him. How is it nothing like Ganondorf?

- Totally wrong armor color despite his armor color being consistent across the series. HW is far too saturated and bright.
- No sash with cayan and maroon decals. Another consistent (and often missed) minor detail between all three designs.
- His hair looks ridiculous and out of character for a normally dignified and clean dressed character.

Platy

Yes Wolf and fox/falco are too similar to me.

But then again I would trade EVERY old dlc character for a new one. Even the ones I play like Roy and even Mewtwo that is not a "clone". Smash needs more ips .... needs diferent representations ... needs new faces

Here are some yahoo-Ed quotes to jog your memory though I am sure they will be ignored

K. Rool will never get in because he's so ugly, he'd be OP solely based on distraction.

King K. Rool is awful. He is nothing but a poor man's Bowser. Look at this boss fight. His ultimate attack is throwing a crown at you. WHOA. Also his entire goal in that game is to steal bananas. Fucking BANANAS. Also he has the ugliest design imaginable.

Some of those choices are baffling. Arle Nadja? I had to look this up and apparently she's from Puyo Pop. And I can't believe Takamaru is so low. They put WEREHOG above Takamaru. Takamaru has a katana, can throw shurikens, shoot lighting, turn invisible, walk on water etc. He would be a fantastic character.

Jibanyan would be legit though.

I'm so glad they wrote him off the series forever. DK deserves a better villain than this abomination. His design is ugly as hell in the so bad it's horrible way.

And also any thing that Shock Asbestos guy said

so victims much wow

Like this is behavior I do not condone for any character, it is one thing to not want some one and to say that and another to just have hateful tirades about some thing some one else cares about

We could argue about the interpretation of the phrase "completely different", of course. But it's not like we're talking about characters that use the same attack with slight variations here. The only thing I'll grant you is the Landmaster, but I would argue that's not really a base to say "Wolf is not completely different".
His specials are uniquely different from the base inspiration that I consider them practically brand new moves, and I would argue most fighting game players would as well. If Wolf's moveset was on a character that had nothing to do with Star Fox, nobody would even remotely get the idea that he's not a unique character.

Like, just look at the blasters. Yes, both fire a projectile from a gun, but that's where the similarities end. Fox's blaster shoots a laser beam that travels very fast, can be shot multiple times in the air, and does not flinch an enemy on contact. Wolf pulls out a plasma pistol with a knife - and that knife deals damage when you stand right next to him - and fires a big tear-shaped projectile that travels extremely slowly and flinches the opponent it hits. Wolf's gunshot also is a lot slower than Fox's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom