• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Series that deserve a character taken away:
- Fire Emblem
- Mother
- Kid Icarus

I don't know why but this comment made me laughing so hard. Sound like you are really upset about franchise getting extra characters in this game.

I'm not a golden sun fan, but I'm still somewhat baffled that they dropped Isaac's Assist Trophy. It seems like an odd omission.

I would take a wild guess. Isaac is just too much for 3DS. :p

kirby_fox

Banned
You have to understand that one of the reasons why some K. Rool fans are so hostile is because the character hasn't appeared since 2008.

This isn't a reason to be hostile though. There's been others who hadn't appeared in years either, and there's no hostility from them. And this whole mindset that Smash will "save" the character hurts to the core.

Earthbound wasn't "saved" by Smash. Megaman has no new games coming out that saves him as a character either. This is why I really don't like the idea of adding characters like K Rool or Wonder Red for that reason. Add the character because you like the character, because the character will have an interesting moveset and rep a series better. But not to "save" them because Smash has never "saved" a character before. It doesn't save franchises. It sure as hell didn't save F-Zero.

kirby_fox

Banned
Ehhh... maybe not "saved" but certainly introduced to a much larger audience and made into a well known Nintendo brand when it was previously just a niche SNES release.

The Mother series wouldn't nearly be as popular as it is now if it wasn't for Smash.

Smash brings series to the forefront yes. But it doesn't save a series or character from becoming obsolete and no longer used, the argument that I see a lot in K Rool or Wonder Red lists.

Wonder Red could make it in, and we'd still never see Wonderful 102 for instance. Smash isn't a savior, it's a celebration of Nintendo and gaming history.

Mik317

Lucina and Robin probably won't return if there is another smash...then again Roy came back..but Roy is more of a Smash rep at this point lol.

This isn't a reason to be hostile though. There's been others who hadn't appeared in years either, and there's no hostility from them. And this whole mindset that Smash will "save" the character hurts to the core.
How does it hurt? Once you get into Smash, you're immortalized as a Nintendo all-star. Even Dark Pit has his very own Amiibo. Hostility is never justified, but try looking at it from their perspective.

Earthbound wasn't "saved" by Smash. Megaman has no new games coming out that saves him as a character either. This is why I really don't like the idea of adding characters like K Rool or Wonder Red for that reason. Add the character because you like the character, because the character will have an interesting moveset and rep a series better. But not to "save" them because Smash has never "saved" a character before. It doesn't save franchises. It sure as hell didn't save F-Zero.

You're comparing a series to a character. That's a false equivalence. We know for a fact that Donkey Kong Country Returns was influenced by Smash, because apparently that's where Retro pulled the peanut popgun from, not Donkey Kong 64. K. Rool has the unique distinction of being a popular recurring character who was removed from his own series. Had he been in Brawl, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have been in DKCR as well. Although Smash didn't "save" the F-Zero or Mother franchises, it certainly gave them more exposure. EarthBound would be long forgotten had Ness not been included in the first Smash game. It's also likely that Pit's warm reception in Brawl is what caused Sakurai to pursue a new Kid Icarus sequel, so again, you're wrong.

Nowhere in my post did I say that I only want K. Rool in Smash in order to save the character, though that's an important reason. He deserves to be playable based on his own merits, of which there are many. Why do you think people want him back?

Smash brings series to the forefront yes. But it doesn't save a series or character from becoming obsolete and no longer used, the argument that I see a lot in K Rool or Wonder Red lists.

Wonder Red could make it in, and we'd still never see Wonderful 102 for instance. Smash isn't a savior, it's a celebration of Nintendo and gaming history.

Thankfully K. Rool and Wonder Red are both relevant to Nintendo's history. This is the most laughable reaching I've ever seen. I'd rather see more "K. Rool is ugly" posts, to be honest.

"SMASH ISN'T ABOUT SAVING CHARACTERS"

Yeah, tell that about Pit and Ness. Once you get into Smash, you're never obsolete. That's the point. I guess K. Rool can't be included because his salvation would taint the sanctity of Smash. This ain't a charity, people.

Lucina and Robin probably won't return if there is another smash...then again Roy came back..but Roy is more of a Smash rep at this point lol.
People said this about Ike, Toon Link and Lucario.

Snake has really been the only predictable cut. Generally cuts are not the characters people expect to be cut.

People said this about Ike, Toon Link and Lucario.

Snake has really been the only predictable cut. Generally cuts are not the characters people expect to be cut.
People called Dr. Mario, Roy, and Pichu being cut in Brawl a mile away.

Everyone knew Squirtle and Ivysaur were gone the minute Charizard was revealed on its own (though yes, Pokemon Trainer was expected to be in in his entirety beforehand), and Lucas and Wolf were definitely among at least the top six characters voted most likely to be cut. In fact, I would say the only genuinely unpredicatble cuts in Smash history are Mewtwo and Ice Climbers.

PK Gaming

Series that deserve a character taken away:
- Fire Emblem
- Mother
- Kid Icarus

128.png

Platy

Fine by me. Maybe they will get some changes like Roy got. If they do, then what's the problem?

All the workforce working on new characters from new unrepresented games ? =(

Rhythm Heaven, Tetris, Hanafuda, Mach Rider, Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, Excitebike, Wonderfull 101, Wario Ware, Elite Beat Agents, Splatoon, Streetpass games ....I don't know.

The more the better

All the workforce working on new characters from new unrepresented games ? =(

Rhythm Heaven, Tetris, Hanafuda, Mach Rider, Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, Excitebike, Wonderfull 101, Wario Ware, Elite Beat Agents, Splatoon, Streetpass games ....I don't know.

The more the better
They represent warioware a lot by adding its stage, filling it with two mixes of Ashley's tune, an ashley trophy for smash tour (which is easily one of the best) and then even including Ashley herself... as an AT -.-

Crayolan

Everyone knew Squirtle and Ivysaur were gone the minute Charizard was revealed on his own, and Lucas and Wolf were definitely among at least the top six characters voted most likely to be cut. In fact, I would say the only genuinely unpredicatble cuts in Smash history are Mewtwo and Ice Climbers.

Robin isn't a clone though like those 3.

Robin isn't a clone though like those 3.
I didn't even mention Robin, I'm merely talking about whether or not characters being cut is predictable, and I would suggest they aren't as unpredictable as ballad claims.

Though I wouldn't expect Robin to be cut at all, probably the safest FE character not named Marth.

The only way I can see Robin getting axed is if a new Fire Emblem comes out with another player avatar character that has the Tactician class, and even then I'd argue that Robin is gonna stick around despite that avatar's default name simply because conceptually it's still the same character, just with a different label.
Could see them making colour scheme references or even alt costumes for that hypothetical avatar in that case.

Characters I think are in genuine danger of getting the axe in a Smash 5 are the third parties for obvious reasons, the three Smash 4 clones and veteran DLC.
Everybody else is likely gonna stick around, and only would get kicked for unforeseen reasons such as the Ice Climbers.

The more Mother characters you have in a game, the more artistic it becomes

I'd argue it's moreso the overall Mother content that contributes that, but hey, same thing!

Thought about unleashing PK Fire on your ass for that, but in the mindset of "love thine enemies," I'll opt for PK Love instead.

Couldn't agree more. Smash is a thing of beauty thanks to Ness, Lucas, Onett, and Magicant!

I literally just read a Mother doujinshi (not what you're thinking) that had that quote, lol. So true!

EulaCapra

Lucina and Lucina's boots are two of the most popular Fire Emblem characters. Not to mention the female factor coming into play...in which there aren't that many to begin with. Robin will probably be DLC to make room for the next avatar. But who knows. There could be TWO not-as-interesting Fire Emblem avatars in Smash!

Everyone knew Squirtle and Ivysaur were gone the minute Charizard was revealed on its (though yes, Pokemon Trainer was expected to be in in his entirety beforehand) own, and Lucas and Wolf were definitely among at least the top six characters voted most likely to be cut. In fact, I would say the only genuinely unpredicatble cuts in Smash history are Mewtwo and Ice Climbers.
Wolf was not at all an expected cut.

No kidding people expected Squirtle and Ivysaur to be cut after they were basically confirmed as cut. That's a meaningless thing to even say, they were expected to return right up until transformations were deconfirmed.

They shouldn't cut any characters. I'd rather have fewer newcomers as long as they ensure that everybody comes back. They can start by bringing back Wolf.

I agree that no characters should be cut (and that Wolf should come back), but we all know that it's not a realistic expectation given the massive and ever-increasing size of the roster and time constraints. That's why Wolf and Lucas probably were cut in the first place - lower priority characters that they just couldn't finish.

That said, if Smash 5 cuts any characters, it's exceedingly likely that they will come back as DLC, unless they're third parties.

Crayolan

I didn't even mention Robin, I'm merely talking about whether or not characters being cut is predictable, and I would suggest they aren't as unpredictable as ballad claims.

Though I wouldn't expect Robin to be cut at all, probably the safest FE character not named Marth.

Oh sorry, the post you quoted was responding to a post claiming Robin will probably cut so I thought you were agreeing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For anyone who are interesting in prediction contest stats.

Confirmed Characters
Mario - 100%
Luigi - 100%
Princess Peach - 100%
Bowser - 99.16%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%

Yoshi - 100%

Donkey Kong - 98.32%
Diddy Kong - 93.28%

Wario - 96.64%

Link - 100%
Zelda - 99.16%
Sheik - 79.83%
Ganondorf - 91.60%
Toon Link - 71.43%

Samus - 99.16%
Zero Suit Samus - 84.04%

Pit - 97.48%
Palutena - 66.39%
Dark Pit - 9.25%

Marth - 95.80%
Ike - 47.90%
Roy - 15.97%
Lucina - 13.45%
Robin - 5.89%

Kirby - 99.16%
Metaknight - 95.80%
King Dedede - 92.44%

Fox - 99.16%
Falco - 89.92%

Pikachu - 100%
Jigglypuff - 90.76%
Mewtwo - 70.59% - Newtwo - 47.90%
Pokemon Trainer's Charizard - 46.22% & Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Lucario - 36.14%
Pokemon X/Y - 29.42%

Ness - 99.16%
Lucas - 79%

Captain Falcon - 100%
Captain Olimar - 92.44%

Villager - 0.84%
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Little Mac - 60.51%
Mii - 20.17%
Shulk - 64.71%

Mr. Game and Watch - 94.12%
R.O.B. - 82.36%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%

Sonic - 89.08%
Mega Man - 58.83%
Pac-Man - 57.15%
Ryu - 4.21%

Cut Characters (So Far)
Ice Climbers - 94.12%
Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Pokemon Trainer's Ivysaur - 46.22%
Pokemon Trainer's Squirtle - 46.22%
Wolf - 74.79%
Snake - 60.51%

Top 10 for Least Predicted Newcomer
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Villager - 0.84%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Ryu - 4.21%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Robin - 5.89%
Lucina - 13.45%
Mii - 20.17%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%
Pokemon X/Y - 29.42%

Top 5 for Least Predicted Veterans
Dr. Mario - 0%
Roy - 15.97%
Lucario - 36.14%
Ike - 47.90%
Mewtwo - 70.59%

Top 10 for Least Predicted Characters
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Villager - 0.84%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Ryu - 4.21%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Robin - 5.89%
Lucina - 13.45%
Roy - 15.97%
Mii - 20.17%

EarthBound would be long forgotten had Ness not been included in the first Smash game.
"SMASH ISN'T ABOUT SAVING CHARACTERS"

Yeah, tell that about Pit and Ness. Once you get into Smash, you're never obsolete. That's the point. .

Many thousands and thousands of years from now, when the human race has become extinct or drifted away, when the words Nintendo and Smash Bros have long been forgotten, when aliens visit our long deserted and dying planet, and when they look around for ancient artifacts of our society to put in the Milky Way Museum of Art as a symbol of our achievements as a race, Earthbound will be one of the pieces of historical art forever on display. Meanwhile, ironically, KRool is short for "fart in the wind" in the alien dialect.

PK Gaming

Lucina and Lucina's boots are two of the most popular Fire Emblem characters. Not to mention the female factor coming into play...in which there aren't that many to begin with. Robin will probably be DLC to make room for the next avatar. But who knows. There could be TWO not-as-interesting Fire Emblem avatars in Smash!

I just don't see how Robin, a character with a ridiculous amount of ambitious and thought put into their moveset would ever be cut or "moved down" to DLC.

Denied. Super Denied. Don't buy it for a second.

Remember everyone were so sure that Lucario and Ike isn't coming back in Smash 4 because they were flavor of generation. My prediction contest had Lucario @ 36.14% and Ike @ 47.90% for coming back to Smash 4.

I remember. I actually called them coming back.

PK Gaming

Check it, my prediction list from way back when

Roster(45):

Returning

-Mario
-Luigi
-Princess Peach
-Bowser
-Donkey Kong
-Diddy Kong
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Link
-Princess Zelda / Sheik
-Ganondorf
-Toon Link
-Samus / Zero Suit Samus
-Pit
-Ice Climbers
-Kirby
-Metaknight
-Olimar
-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf
-Captain Falcon
-Pikachu
-Lucario
-Pokemon Trainer
-Jigglypuff
-Marth
-Ike
-Ness
-Lucas
-R.O.B
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Snake
-Sonic
(That's right, everyone from Brawl)

Newcomers

-Palutena
-Hades
-Shulk
-Zoroark
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Waluigi
-King K Rool
-Ridley
-Masked Man

will edit soon

Newcomers section was really just a wishlist. I was only really sure about Palutena, Lucina and Shulk making it into Smash (because I mean come on, hyuckhyuckhyuck). I actually thought of adding Robin (the avatar) at one point, but forgot to go back and edit him in.

Villager, Little Mac, and Pac-Man were what I considered to be my 100% guaranteed guesses. I knew we'd get Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus characters too but wasn't entirely certain on who'd they be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I seriously doubt "fire emblem characters who got recent crossover status" will get cut.

Man, poor Marth, you'd think he'd be in everyone's game but nope, it's Sugita.

Speaking of which I wish we got more Sugita in Smash. Like Joseph Joestar.

kirby_fox

Banned
How does it hurt? Once you get into Smash, you're immortalized as a Nintendo all-star. Even Dark Pit has his very own Amiibo. Hostility is never justified, but try looking at it from their perspective.

I have. It hurts my brain to see the mental gymnastics being done for a character to justify one's actions. But hey, that's the Internet.

You're comparing a series to a character. That's a false equivalence.

Is it? Take Ness, Shulk. Whomever else who was left as a character and never seen again in their series then. There's a bunch of them in the roster.

We know for a fact that Donkey Kong Country Returns was influenced by Smash, because apparently that's where Retro pulled the peanut popgun from

Influence. Smash has influence, yes- but it doesn't save characters that haven't been around for 16 years in a mainline title. It doesn't save a series and give it a sequel. Kid Icarus was already looking at being relaunched around the same time as Brawl was being made, so no- it didn't save Kid Icarus either.

Nowhere in my post did I say that I only want K. Rool in Smash in order to save the character, though that's an important reason. He deserves to be playable based on his own merits, of which there are many. Why do you think people want him back?

Did I say you did? I was stating the idea that Smash will "save" K Rool is ludicrous, Smash has never saved a character before from being obsolete. They either already are obsolete and considered retro, or they're being used in their series.

On a similar note, this whole argument over K Rool has really put me off to the character as a whole. I'd still welcome him with open arms into Smash, but the fanbase really is up for arguing every little thing said about the character. Actual points against him are laughed at and made fun of instead of taking it as a serious discussion.

Hello.

Banned
Realistically speaking, I personally believed that the DK series deserves all four characters: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool. It's very odd that DK didn't even get a newcomer this time around at the beginning, it's up there with the series that deserved one.

With that said, it doesn't matter to me either way if Dixie or K. Rool get in, they both deserve it. I just think that K. Rool should get in more because he was unfairly excluded in Retro's interpretations of the series (Returns and Tropical Freeze) and Dixie won't be forgotten.

Also, my idea regarding Robin would be that they'll keep the character but probably modify the model to whatever Fire Emblem's most recent Avatar is. So at this point in time, it'd be Corrin. The moveset is practically the same, just the "character" is different.

On a similar note, this whole argument over K Rool has really put me off to the character as a whole. I'd still welcome him with open arms into Smash, but the fanbase really is up for arguing every little thing said about the character. Actual points against him are laughed at and made fun of instead of taking it as a serious discussion.
You shouldn't let perceptions of the character affect your own opinion of them. Ridley fans have been ridiculed for years and they still keep headstrong.

Also, my idea regarding Robin would be that they'll keep the character but probably modify the model to whatever Fire Emblem's most recent Avatar is. So at this point in time, it'd be Corrin. The moveset is practically the same, just the "character" is different.

Nope. Corrin/Kamui is totally different from Robin/Reflet. Besides, the mechanic of limited tome/sword usage on Robin will be very weird for Corrin, considering FEif/Fates removed the limited item use lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Same here, speaking as someone who's still annoyed at how little Land is repped in his moveset
despite maining him in both Brawl and Smash 4
. Reading that translated article on Source-Gaming about how they intentionally gave Wario 'Famicon-like' animations was just weird (he's not even a NES-era character!), and I'm really glad Smash 4 does away with it because he looks way more lively and in-character having more frames for him to squash, stretch and bounce in.
Well he started life on the GameBoy so perhaps they meant that for Famicom-like since they were both of similar power.
But yeah, I prefer his flluid animation we have now.

Hello.

Banned
Nope. Corrin/Kamui is totally different from Robin/Reflet. Besides, the mechanic of limited tome/sword usage on Robin will be very weird for Corrin, considering FEif/Fates removed the limited item use lol
Ah yeah, that's right. I forgot. Never mind that then, it wouldn't work.

Smash kind of saved kid icarus lol.

In all honesty though its not about smash saving a character as it is a sort of lifeline for the character/series.

F-Zero and Mother are a greater part of the conversation due to the exposure the characters have gotten through smash. Heck they even admitted the VC port of earthbound was due to miiverse outcry, im betting alot of those people were exposed to such through smash.

If mother 3 ever does come here I would argue smash played a large part in that.

I think Rhythm Heaven is a series that would stand to benefit alot by getting smash representation. (Even if I myself am not a huge fan of a potential rep)

Look at all those electroplankton sales ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom