• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sakurai makes rules! I know because I correspond with him everyday! ;)

Also there is no reason to not have Wolf, like his skeptical peeps say Oh He Has Been Predicted For So Long Now So Fans Are Wrong That He Is A Lock, but they did that too with Palutena and Shulk and even the vets that took forever to show like Yoshi and that did not mean they were in doubt. Wolf is coming one way or another and I do not know how any one can say he is 50/50 in or out with a strait face
A ton of people thought Wolf, K. Rool and even Ridley were all coming in the base game. Others thought Dixie and Chrom were locks. How does pointing at characters that did get in contradict this?

Smash fans have proven time and again that "my character is a popular request and Sakurai would never disappoint us" is really terrible reasoning.

I'm not even saying Wolf isn't likely, but acting like any one character is a lock based on the fact that you can't find a reason to exclude them is setting yourself up.

JCX

Yeah, this is actually a really good question to ask. I imagine that the fans are happy they got Roy back and the Lucina brigade got theirs from the jump, but at what cost? Fire Emblem has seemingly lost reverence from entry-level fans nowadays due to the controversial elements included in its recent games and the intrigue towards the series that once drove the discussion in a Melee/post-Melee era is also gone since the games are one among many and moderately mainstream now. Where a Fire Emblem newcomer was once something to really get people excited, now people are actively down on the entire idea. I knew shit was going foul when Lyn was getting downplayed as hard as she did in some of the more recent "interest monitoring" polls, she was placing like 121st place or something when before she was that dark horse with a strong support base.

It's going to be really interesting to see what is done with the franchise in the series and I support anyone that brings a solid combat design into the mix (especially one that is currently under served in the roster), but I'm definitely not too happy about what Roy & Lucina did to public perception of the series.

The neglect of all the other classes in FE is what made me unhappy about all the FE swordfighters. That's why Robin was such a relief. There are so many classes in FE, yet all of their Smash Reps use swords. I used to be a big Lyn fan, but I'd take a FE character with a different weapon/style over Lyn right now.

A ton of people thought Wolf, K. Rool and even Ridley were all coming in the base game. Others thought Dixie and Chrom were locks. How does pointing at characters that did get in contradict this?

Smash fans have proven time and again that "my character is a popular request and Sakurai would never disappoint us" is really terrible reasoning.

I'm not even saying Wolf isn't likely, but acting like any one character is a lock based on the fact that you can't find a reason to exclude them is setting yourself up.

yeah I get what you are saying but I feel that the remote possibility Sakurai does some thing stupid with Wolf does not mean we as fans have to concoct BS reasons he is not in. Like "the longer we wait the less likely he is" is some thing that applies to all characters since the end approaches closer the more time passes

Also the fact is Wolf is so easy to make for the team they can just push him off while focusing on newcomers so him not being there yet is not super revealing I think

While your sentiment is right and I personally won't consider Wolf (or any other character) as a "shoe-in" until they are confirmed, I think that the decision to bring back Roy and even go through the hassle of decloning him further from Marth when Wolf would be readily available to be odd.
Like, why bring back Roy but not the more unique of the 2 in Wolf?

yeah I get what you are saying but I feel that the remote possibility Sakurai does some thing stupid with Wolf does not mean we as fans have to concoct BS reasons he is not in. Like "the longer we wait the less likely he is" is some thing that applies to all characters since the end approaches closer the more time passes

Also the fact is Wolf is so easy to make for the team they can just push him off while focusing on newcomers so him not being there yet is not super revealing I think
I agree with a lot of this, but I think people are taking PushDustin's speculation too seriously. IMO, as characters are revealed, everyone else's chances start thinning since there's obviously a finite number of fighters left. Like you said, it doesn't just apply to Wolf. But applying to everyone means it does still apply to him, doesn't it? Maybe it's worth considering, I dunno.

I personally think we'll see him, though. Just a gut feeling, but maybe he'll revealed to promote Star Fox Zero. He hasn't been shown off in that game yet, has he?
While your sentiment is right and I personally won't consider Wolf (or any other character) as a "shoe-in" until they are confirmed, I think that the decision to bring back Roy and even go through the hassle of decloning him further from Marth when Wolf would be readily available to be odd.

Dunno. Maybe Sakurai likes surprises? I don't think anyone can definitively say. I would love to see Wolf return, though.

Honestly? For the same reason they brought Falco and not Wolf into the base game. One, it's easier, two, Falco and Roy are beloved fighters of certain parts of Smash fans, while Wolf apparently isn't such a big deal in these specific communities.

That said I absolutely follow the logic of Nintendo trying to tie Wolf release with SF0. So I can't say Wolf is coming for sure, because who the hell knows what's Sakurai's and Nintendo's thought process here - but I don't think his chances have significantly fallen since E3.

I'll be pretty stunned if Wolf isn't in.

Sakurai seems to want to bring back as many characters as possible, and porting Wolf from Brawl with some touching up should be about as hard as it was for Lucas.

Question regarding DLC: regardless of the actual characters actually making it in or not, what do people make of the model they're using for it, especially in light of how games like SFV and whatnot seem to be approaching it? Heck, how do people feel about the prices themselves? XD

Sonic... are the characters I take issue with design-wise.

a bit late to this, but huh, really? do people feel that way?

i honestly think that sonic's smash 4 design is one of the best models sonic has ever had. especially coming off of brawl, where i thought he looked pretty awful (largely due to the timing coinciding with 06 lol)

unless this is just an "it's not classic sonic thing" in which case shrug

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got myself some insider info, and unlike all those fakers I'm not going to hide behind silly stock phrases like "oh I know something but I can't say" or "I trust this source like my brother but unfortunately I'm an only-child".

Within the next two weeks
disappointed
will rear its head.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Question regarding DLC: regardless of the actual characters actually making it in or not, what do people make of the model they're using for it, especially in light of how games like SFV and whatnot seem to be approaching it? Heck, how do people feel about the prices themselves? XD

I thought the prices for Smash Characters and Stages were pretty good. It's definitely better than ArcSys DLC prices.

Well, I think you shouldn't count my opinion because I'm a sucker for any Smash Bros DLC. :p

Heck, if Sakurai actually confirm that he's going to port the game to next console and handheld, including all downloadable characters and stages and new modes. Also we might get like couple of veterans like Ice Climbers, etc. Then he proceed to announce that we are going to have two seasons of downloadable characters, stages, etc. I'm all in, and I would buy every single damn things.

The concept behind Season should be similar to Killer Instinct and supposedly Street Fighter V. Season = 6-8 characters each year, so we could have about 12-16 characters in two seasons. Yes, I would buy every single characters. I hope that it would show how much sucker I am! :p

Dr. Buni

The mode is fine, but the DLC is quite pricey, so I am not really buying everything. I have bought Ryu/Suzaku Castle, Lucas and the Nintendo 64 stages; Super Mario Maker and Pirate Ship I am skipping, the first because I don't dig the visuals/gimmick that much and the second is only temporarily. Paying $7 (or $6 for one version of the game only) for a character is kinda... too much, though.

jph139

My only real complaint is a lack of a season pass. Even a minor discount or some bonus Mii costumes or something - for people who are buying all of the stages and characters it'd be a nice bonus. But $5 a character, $2-3 a stage is fair in my book.

And having to pay extra to get both versions kinda sucks - but I understand why they do that, since it'd cut DLC sales in half if they offered them free.

I agree with a lot of this, but I think people are taking PushDustin's speculation too seriously. IMO, as characters are revealed, everyone else's chances start thinning since there's obviously a finite number of fighters left. Like you said, it doesn't just apply to Wolf. But applying to everyone means it does still apply to him, doesn't it? Maybe it's worth considering, I dunno.

I personally think we'll see him, though. Just a gut feeling, but maybe he'll revealed to promote Star Fox Zero. He hasn't been shown off in that game yet, has he?

Dunno. Maybe Sakurai likes surprises? I don't think anyone can definitively say. I would love to see Wolf return, though.

My POV is that yes it effects Wolf too but I say it affects him the least of almost any one. Think about it, if you have a bunch of complex new comers then Wolf on the table with just a little dev time left, who gets added? That's right Wolf. He is benefited by what benefited him during Brawl, ease of making him along with substantial support

EulaCapra

Something fun to digest that's popped up. Alleged data-mined Ballot results lol wut
TOXmF9w.png

Did anyone actually take the time to write out "Wolf O'Donnell" so many times that the long version of his name placed third all by itself?

Something fun to digest that's popped up. Alleged data-mined Ballot results lol wut
TOXmF9w.png

Did anyone actually take the time to write out "Wolf O'Donnell" so many times that the long version of his name placed third all by itself?
Obviously fake, how could One Piece's Luffy have more votes for Goku, and where's Shrek?

In all seriousness, these results look fake.

Pokemaniac

You'd basically need illuminati level connections to mine that kind of data. Or at least a lot of strategically placed compromised ISPs.

I can't be the only one who noticed Goku and Krystal on there twice, right?

Regardless, lol no.

a bit late to this, but huh, really? do people feel that way?

i honestly think that sonic's smash 4 design is one of the best models sonic has ever had. especially coming off of brawl, where i thought he looked pretty awful (largely due to the timing coinciding with 06 lol)

unless this is just an "it's not classic sonic thing" in which case shrug

I've brought this up before and no one agreed, so it's just me. In a game full of expressive facial animations, he's an odd standout in how he's mostly just frozen in that derpy grin. Brawl had the large quills but he's far more expressive there (compare the grab/AAA animations between the two games and you'll see what I mean).

And just FYI, I'm the probably last person to ever go "arrghhhh green eyes" or some bs like that, lol. That's always eluded me.

Dr. Buni

I think Sonic looks really weird in Smash 4. For starters, his modern design isn't really that great with the lanky legs, plus the weird permanent grim on the side of his face. Also, his artwork is hideous, his pose in Brawl was so much better and more Sonic-y. That being said, the worst thing about Sonic in Smash is his boring moveset :| So much potential untapped. I don't know why they nailed Mega Man and Pac-Man's moveset but didn't even bother trying to improve Sonic's in Smash 4.

Vidiot

I think Sonic looks really weird in Smash 4. For starters, his modern design isn't really that great with the lanky legs, plus the weird permanent grim on the side of his face. Also, his artwork is hideous, his pose in Brawl was so much better and more Sonic-y. That being said, the worst thing about Sonic in Smash is his boring moveset :| So much potential untapped. I don't know why they nailed Mega Man and Pac-Man's moveset but didn't even bother trying to improve Sonic's in Smash 4.

What! That's Sonic's trademark grin. Been around forever. Also his pose is him running. How is Sonic running not Sonicy?

His move set is arguable but I'm glad they stick to Sonic's base move set instead of giving him a bunch of wisps or elemental shields or whatever.

I'd be curious from where that data was actually mined from.

If someone has access to Nintendo's internal databases, there's a heck of a lot more interesting information that could be acquired.

Dr. Buni

Just as I said Super Mario Maker (stage) didn't interest me, I ended up buying it. It's actually a pretty fun stage.
What! That's Sonic's trademark grin. Been around forever. Also his pose is him running. How is Sonic running not Sonicy?

His move set is arguable but I'm glad they stick to Sonic's base move set instead of giving him a bunch of wisps or elemental shields or whatever.
There's a lot of stuff Sonic could do other than spin, spin and spin. Also, while I wasn't thinking about them, I don't see the problem with wisps. They come from the best modern Sonic game and they are pretty fun gimmick. Plus, wisps are here (by here I mean the Sonic series) to stay, so I wouldn't complain if they were introduced to Sonic's moveset. Better than the boring snooze-fest that his moveset currently is :/

Honestly? For the same reason they brought Falco and not Wolf into the base game. One, it's easier, two, Falco and Roy are beloved fighters of certain parts of Smash fans, while Wolf apparently isn't such a big deal in these specific communities.

Except in fan polls from all regions (and, obviously, fan polls are fan polls, but they're still data) Wolf placed above Roy in every single one, or at the very least in a similar position. Roy is not more "beloved" than Wolf, or if he is, only marginally so.

The re-introduction of Roy certainly also has brought a massive disdain towards Fire Emblem and its characters as well.

TOXmF9w.png

I know everyone will say "FAKE" but I like to assume real because why not.

-It seems to imply K. Rool, Chrom, and Viridi did indeed get Mii Suits as consolation prizes. Could still do a character on KRool, and I'd be down for it, but from this viewpoint it seems that way. Tho no Loyd is odd, but he still might be highly placed. Tho if this is real, and KRool got first for a newcomer and Sakurai didn't make him a character then god damn.
-Its hard to determine if Wolf or KRool won due to the different naming schemes.
-If Shovel Knight is in, it has to be a very hard push from NOA instead of the ballot. SK Amiibo was in plans for some time, and the two previous slots before they added a third could've been him and Inklings. However even if NOA pushed hard, I'd think SK needed to be a bit higher to convince Sakurai to actually do it. But you can never tell with these things.
-Magnemite is the top Pokemon. What the actual fuck. Uh...Magemite for Smash would be cool I guess? Too much gen 1 tho lol. Pls Blaziken.
-Surprised Waluigi is so high, not surprised by Paper Mario.
-On that note: Besides tye anime/cartoon choices its all hardcore votes. Huh.
-I guess Yokai! layton, and Tingle all have a fair shot since new series and unique movesets since its not a contest. Also Dixie.
-Inklings better be in.
-Metroid higher than Ridley. How the mighty have fallen.
-I'm glad that people were smart enough to vote Wolf since theres was a fair chance Sakurai was done with vets.
-Waddle Dee is totally getting in because of Sakurai bias. Except since noone said "Bandana" it really will just be a generic Waddle Dee lol.

backlot

TOXmF9w.png

Clearly the three ballot winners are Snake, Solid Snake and Big Boss.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I voted Snake from Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes in one computer.

I then voted Snake from Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D in the other.

Poor Sakurai, how will he decide?

Official sources do call him Son Goku.
And if I were to vote for Son Goku, I would call him Son Goku, because I generally call him Son Goku, especially in an official context just to be 100% clear which character is meant.

If I had voted for Wolf or Snake, I would've put Wolf O'Donnell or Solid Snake, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom