• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get why Square kept the rights to the SMRPG cast. Not like Rare ever owned the characters they made for the DK games, besides Diddy Kong Racing (which makes sense since it's basically a crossover with a few Rare-owned characters and characters from rejected game pitches).

NeonZ

Yeah I seriously doubt "fire emblem characters who got recent crossover status" will get cut.

Man, poor Marth, you'd think he'd be in everyone's game but nope, it's Sugita.

Speaking of which I wish we got more Sugita in Smash. Like Joseph Joestar.

Thanks to the Amiibo stuff Marth has made quite a few guest appearances recently. If anything, Chrom was the one who had been shafted before PxZ and #FE. Those are his first playable appearances post-Awakening. And it's still possible that Marth will be in #FE (Various Shadow Dragon characters are there, so the lack of Marth is really odd).

That recent PxZ2 trailer also didn't show any solo unit associated with the Chrom/Lucina team, so there might still be another FE character there. Although it's unlikely to be Marth anyway.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That recent PxZ2 trailer also didn't show any solo unit associated with the Chrom/Lucina team, so there might still be another FE character there. Although it's unlikely to be Marth anyway.

I thought they just confirmed Tiki to be solo unit, unless she's a npc?

Clov

I still wish that we got costume DLC that wasn't just for the Mii Fighters. If any of the Fire Emblem characters that appear in Smash appear in #FE, it would be cool if we got their appearances from that game as alternate costumes! Probably won't happen, though.

I still don't get why Square kept the rights to the SMRPG cast. Not like Rare ever owned the characters they made for the DK games, besides Diddy Kong Racing (which makes sense since it's basically a crossover with a few Rare-owned characters and characters from rejected game pitches).

I don't think it'd really matter. Considering we never see characters like Fawful, the Paper Mario cast, etc in any Mario spinoff, I highly doubt Nintendo would of done anything with Geno, Mallow or any of the other SMRPG cast.

Golnei

Sorry for bringing back the Ganondorf whining yet again, but this gif was a perfect encapsulation with my problems with the current model, compared to how great the original looked. It's been dulled by the unflattering way he animated in Brawl and the way the design was murdered in 4, but the original TP Ganondorf is still the best-looking, most endearing non-WW version of the character, let alone the design.

tumblr_nujnqiwMUQ1uq4s2mo1_500.gif
super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-ganondorf-screenshots-1.jpg

The difference between the original and current depiction are staggering - his hugely expressive facial animations, the much better proportions, the infinitely superior hair texture - it's a balance of regal and feral that doesn't lean too hard on either side, as the canned Oracle design and Hyrule Warriors incarnation did, respectively.

I don't understand how a GCN model ended up being better than a Wii U model, but here we are.

TP Ganondorf looks like a being made of pure rage and pure power (with a touch of insanity).

Smash 4 Ganondorf just looks slightly annoyed all the time.

Also while all the characters got brighter and more expressive, they dulled Ganondorf's armor saturation from Brawl and made his face animation really strange.

smash 4 'dorf has sass that's more than the ganondorf stapled onto the ending of twilight princess can claim

I seriously feel like the only person who's totally fine with how the Zelda cast (besides maybe regular Link's face when it's neutral) looks.

Neoxon

RogersBase said that we'd hear about this mystery first-party newcomer who we shouldn't be surprised was included
who are in all likelihood the Inklings
within the next week or two, correct? If so, the Octoling update was rumored to be coming out this coming week (along with a rumored Splatoon Direct). That is....if the Twitter guys were referring to the Inklings
which I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they were

By the way
WVW69idvQmQvOCWrfs

Literally unplayable nose coloring

Mushrom Kingdom U must just have bad lighting. Here's Wario on the brightest map in the game with perfectly white gloves and a pink nose

Why am I taking pictures of Wario on my day off

I think Sakurai's better at conceptual design than visual design honestly.

I think every single smash game has always had an art style I'd describe as fairly raw and unpolished, with "style uniformity" mostly being decided by (imo not entirely consistent) shared palette options.

While the base design behind a lot of smash chars (e.g. megaman) is quite well chosen, often sakurai's choice in textures, colors and overal "feel" kinda come across as someone discovering the available filters in their 3D program for the first time.

The result is that when Sakurai decides on things like "This game leans more towards primary colors" characters that don't have the 3-4 colors Sakurai decided should be saturated in them suddenly look significantly less saturated than the rest of the cast.

I think the intended joke is Ganon is an evil over lord who is inept in Smash but they did not need to hammer that in with dopey facial expressions when you can already beat him up with Pikachu

If he ever got re designed in some parallel world he should act dismissive like Mewtwo, like fighting these worms is beneath him, almost and have a gliding dash instead of a stupid clunking one for the lulz

I mean he has personality but it comes off as inaccurate to canon for the sake of humor

Is Wario's nose going to become the new Sonic's Eyes? lol

Sonic, Ganondorf, Samus and maybe Link are the characters I take issue with design-wise.

Hello.

Banned
I think it's mostly Wii U Ganondorf's face that makes the rest of the model off-putting. I don't find anything wrong with his body. Not many people notice that his chest scar actually illuminates, a subtle touch.

Also the fact that his facial expressions, unlike many of the other characters, are poorly animated. It doesn't really match him at all in some instances. It especially doesn't help because the victory screen focuses on his face too.

I can't say that I understand how Sakurai directs the artstyle but usually it works okay. Melee's tends to lean towards a more realistic design but not too extreme, Brawl was obviously going for a huge realistic design across the cast, and this time it's more varied depending on the character but the colors are more saturated overall.

So I did my super patented extremely scientific™ method of flipping through tournies looking at how many people own what stage.

And this time I actually kept proper count, unlike last time when I just eyeballed it!

So yea, out of 31 tournaments (the entire default front page of 32, minus one that finished before I could check it).

Suzaku Castle - 10
Dreamland - 7
Mario Maker - 6
Peach's Castle/Pirate Ship - 2
Hyrule Castle - 1

That was the first Hyrule Castle I had ever seen in tourney mode and it was on a kid that owned all DLC.

What I get from it

- Mario Maker is selling pretty good. In two weeks it matches the percent owned of Dreamland, basically. I think it'll probably level off at Dreamland levels, but still, that's great. People like new stages apparently.
- People don't like old stages unless they're named Dreamland. Not even the mighty Pirate Ship could be seen, although Hyrule Castle is still just downright dire with how many people seem to own it. Pirate Ship might also just simply be too new and not advertised enough. Nobody likes Hyrule Castle or the people who make tournies are simply too young to appreciate the stage. I think, based on the grammar of the titles of them, that the latter is more likely. The bulk of tournies feel like they were made by children and that probably explains why the 64 stages that aren't in Melee are doing so poorly.
- The percents of Dreamland and Ryu's stage basically match the amount I saw last time I did this. About a third have bought Ryu and it's pretty clear adding a character to a stage makes the stage extremely popular.
- Some sadistic child made a tourney where the only stage was 75m
- More people own Ryu than have Pac-Land unlocked lol. At least of people who make tournies.

Azure J

No more Fire Emblem characters, please. Especially coming from that disgusting crossover.

We still don't have an axe user, proper archer, lancer, dancer or thief with the series' own rich combat designs to take inspiration from so I completely disagree.

No more Marth-lings though please.

Yeah I seriously doubt "fire emblem characters who got recent crossover status" will get cut.

Man, poor Marth, you'd think he'd be in everyone's game but nope, it's Sugita.

Speaking of which I wish we got more Sugita in Smash. Like Joseph Joestar.

Another reason why you should support Takamaru in Smash. :p

We still don't have an axe user, proper archer, lancer, dancer or thief with the series' own rich combat designs to take inspiration from so I completely disagree.

No more Marth-lings though please.

The question is, what changes are needed to the current Fire Emblem Smash roster for more weapons and class variety, without removing any of the fighters, and not adding more characters like Hector or Azura to avoid over filling the roster to borderline Mario and Pokemon levels?

He will be in Smash, in due time.

The question is, what changes are needed to the current Fire Emblem Smash roster for more weapons and class variety, without removing any of the fighters, and not adding more characters like Hector or Azura to avoid over filling the roster to borderline Mario and Pokemon levels?
You say that as if Fire Emblem doesn't already fill the roster to borderline Mario and Pokemon levels.

Unless you mean Mario and Pokemon combined, to which I say, give it a few games.

Azure J

Yeah, this is actually a really good question to ask. I imagine that the fans are happy they got Roy back and the Lucina brigade got theirs from the jump, but at what cost? Fire Emblem has seemingly lost reverence from entry-level fans nowadays due to the controversial elements included in its recent games and the intrigue towards the series that once drove the discussion in a Melee/post-Melee era is also gone since the games are one among many and moderately mainstream now. Where a Fire Emblem newcomer was once something to really get people excited, now people are actively down on the entire idea. I knew shit was going foul when Lyn was getting downplayed as hard as she did in some of the more recent "interest monitoring" polls, she was placing like 121st place or something when before she was that dark horse with a strong support base.

It's going to be really interesting to see what is done with the franchise in the series and I support anyone that brings a solid combat design into the mix (especially one that is currently under served in the roster), but I'm definitely not too happy about what Roy & Lucina did to public perception of the series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Wait, he voices him? Interesting. :p

I always thought the ATs were voiced by the character VA, like in Brawl before then Little Mac was voiced by Falco's JP VA.

Is Sugita voicing a player character in Sm4sh JP outside of Chrom?

Azure J

I always thought the ATs were voiced by the character VA, like in Brawl before then Little Mac was voiced by Falco's JP VA.

Nah, only Chrom and Takamaru, the latter of which he said he was pretty happy to voice.

No, but here's Sugita talking about Takamaru.

Sugita: I was really happy to play Takamaru.
Sakurai: I thought about having Takamaru as a player character for a second…but it was probably impossible.
Sugita: Takamaru….
Sakurai: Due to lack of popularity….
Sugita: Popularity, huh….I made an appearance! I made an appearance! For popularity abroad…: (In Takamaru’s voice) I won’t give up.

and also for lulz

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Sugita: The really energetic, yellow square right?
Sakurai: Yes.
Sugita: Even Spongebob…
Sakurai: Well, those kinds of requests are pretty common.
Sugita: What about Yukawasen*, or Segata Sanshiro?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Sugita: …well I’m glad Sonic’s in.
Sakurai: That’s the point of Mii Fighters

Since we have re-used music now, maybe they'll go and move some music around.

Like, I wish all of the SMW music was consolidated onto Yoshi's Island. Along with Rainbow Cruise on Peach's Castle and the Hyrule Field remix on Hyrule Castle. Green Greens on Dreamland. Stuff like that. Some songs just make sense to be on more than one stage.

and also for lulz

Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!

If someone asks Sakurai on why no Mike Jones for Smash, this could be a similar reasoning, it's a literal opposite of Takamaru and The Mysterious Murasame Castle being Japan only
until his VC rerelease worldwide
, with Mike and StarTropics being released NA and Europe only. If StarTropics somehow gets known in Japan more, then there's a small hope for Mike in Smash.

NeonZ

Lucina really should just be consolidated back into a Marth costume at least. The tipper isn't a Dr.Mario pill. It's closer to the sword range changes that Marth received going from Brawl to SSB4. Alternatively, if she has to continue standalone, give her a bunch of lance attacks, since she can use lances post promotion - make her forward B combo sequences with lance strikes.

Ike, if he isn't dropped, could receive some attacks with an axe. IS itself did it in both Codename STEAM and Fates. Roy and Ike also could get projectiles with their legendary sword, but it seems like giving projectiles to characters who were conceptualized with none is always considered going too far by Sakurai.

I used to wish that Marth got the Fire Emblem shield in Smash Bros, but at this point, FE itself dropped the shield from him in all his modern appearances, likely due to Smash Bros itself... Robin is fine as he is.

NeonZ

Lucina has the "no tipper" thing, and a unique counter and shield breaker animation.

So yes, we've never had a character without a unique ability.

She uses Marth's counter animation just fine in her own game (while the one she got in Smash is just from artwork). And, like I said, no tipper is merely a gameplay tweak. If they had no problems reducing Marth's range, I don't see how giving Lucina a tipper would break character.

Besides, remember, at some point of development, Dr.Mario was just a costume, alongside Lucina and Dark Pit. Even if ultimately that wasn't the choice made, and Dr.Mario became a full character again, I think it shows that the opposition to that idea isn't as strong as you think it is. Lucina doesn't have the obvious visual and ability distinction that Dr. Mario has (Pills, no Fludd), so it's even more likely to happen in her case.

NeonZ

The very reason we know Sakurai won't make a vet into an alt is because of Doctor Mario. He's said as much.

He also mentioned that Dr.Mario was originally just a costume though. Obviously that wasn't the final decision, but if Dr.Mario at one point of development was just a costume it's clearly not an idea that he utterly despises. Lucina has less characteristics pointing to the need of a differentiation too (while Dr.Mario had the obvious fireball and fludd issues at least).

My favorite part of Sakurai's supposed rules is when he breaks them.

Anyway, PushDustIn has posted a new article related to Wolf.

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but I do agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't consider him a shoo-in.

So do people still believe a character is being revealed in the next two weeks?
Well, I would think it would be within a week and a half now, but I dunno, do people still believe Shovel Knight is coming within the month?

Sakurai makes rules! I know because I correspond with him everyday! ;)

Also there is no reason to not have Wolf, like his skeptical peeps say Oh He Has Been Predicted For So Long Now So Fans Are Wrong That He Is A Lock, but they did that too with Palutena and Shulk and even the vets that took forever to show like Yoshi and that did not mean they were in doubt. Wolf is coming one way or another and I do not know how any one can say he is 50/50 in or out with a strait face

Here's the reply I wrote on Reddit to the article

The longer it goes without Wolf being announced, the less likely I think he is.

Except there's very clearly a reason to postpone Wolf to release him as close to Zero as possible. This had been assumed since vet DLC started and Wolf wasn't in the initial batch. It makes sense to hold Wolf to release as close as possible to Zero, so his late release isn't really anything. I'm not sure where these fan made ultimatums come from, but I haven't seen them being popular. At least not as popular as the theory Wolf is specifically being held back as a Zero promotion.

Therefore, I expect the work that was previously being done to finish the rest of the base game/ work on online services / make the original set of DLC content will be entirely focused on making new characters and stages.

And yet two weeks ago we got not only a Brawl port to one console only, but a Wii U stage added to the 3DS. So they don't seem to be laser focused on "new" content.

I do believe this is how and why Lucas and Roy were chosen (in addition to be a lighter load, development wise); their catch-copy was possibly “veteran from Melee, veteran from Brawl”.
You hand wave away the fact that Mewtwo is a Melee vet like Roy (because he's never specifically said a character that is 95% identical to his Melee self isn't a Melee vet and was pretty clearly added for Melee nostalgia), but don't seem to acknowledge that Wolf's "catch-copy" could be entirely unrelated to being a Brawl vet. "Promotion for Zero" or "Feral Humanoid Fan Favorite" or whatever. Wolf doesn't really have to mention Brawl at all, especially since a large claim to fame for Roy and Lucas are the fact they were in Brawl, and owe a large part of their popularity to Smash, while Wolf was a popular, well known character way before appearing in Smash.

A lot of people have suggested that Wolf will be added in order to advertise Star Fox Zero. I’ve previously written that I don’t think content is selected for pure promotional purposes.

We're too weeks after a promotional stage was released. A few months before that, there was a literal promotion for 7-11 within Smash as a Mii costume. A few months before that were pre-order costumes for Splatoon. Yoshi's new stage in Smash 4 is from a game that's not even out yet in America.
I do think the reveal dates are picked to tie into cross-promotion–whenever possible

This somewhat contradicts your first point about if Wolf was going to be added, he'd be added already. If they pick reveal dates for cross promotion, what's stopping Wolf from being announced to promote Zero?

This is coupled with the fact that we have two strong rumors

Of which somewhat contradict each other. If Shovel Knight isn't announced with Inklings, than the Shovel Knight rumor is running dangerously close to running out of time. He was to be announced "within a few months" of August, so the rumor only has about a month and a half or so left. If Inklings take up the media cycle for a month or more... Shovel Knight would seem unlikely.

If both of these rumors do come to fruition, then that takes up the two slots that Shiny Quaqsire found back in April
The slots are entirely meaningless and shouldn't be used to state the maximum amount of characters. Up until two weeks ago, we were only getting two more characters. Now we're getting three. So they can obviously add more, so this number can't be used as some kind of cap for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom