• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Also the Dunban costume says it's co-owned by Nintendo and Monolith, even though I thought Monolith was entirely absorbed into Nintendo proper.
Nintendo owns 96 or 97% of Monolith IIRC. So they're essentially a proper Nintendo first party, but that 3 or 4% they don't own probably has something to do with why Monolith Soft gets co-ownership rights.

So are you guys expecting anything next week?
Can't say I am, though it would sure be nice!

Actual update? No way. We just got 1.1.2. They'd wait with that.

Directly (pardon the pun) Smash-related news? Not really, though not impossible. the right moment to announce that was at the same time last patch hit. This way we'd get more news in one pile, and people would be more likely to hear about the current offerings (and buy). See: announcing Lucas close to Mewtwo's arrival.

Indirectly related? Can't rule that out. Nintendo announcements are random as SHA-1 recently, and honestly anything Nintendo related can be Smash related in the long run.

Sure, why not. Might as well hype something up. It's said to be a first party character, so I'm going with either the Inklings or K. Rool/Dixie. The newcomer will come bundled with a new stage, but there won't be anything else.

How about a K. Rool in an Inkling costume. Kalamare K. Rool.

I meant more of news than an actual update. And to be fair, the last patch was to fix the Diddy glitch.

Exactly. It's one, relatively harmless despite being "broken", glitch. They'd leave it alone if an update was expected in next two weeks or so.

Again, there is no reason to announce anything now.

I wonder if it's possible to apply many of Dante's moves in Smash

It's not like Dante's game even was on Wii, and EA isn't on friendly terms with Nintendo anyway.

\snark

Zubz

Banned
Checked it just for you. The exact language differs between releases, but yes, BANDAI (sometimes slash-something) is always mentioned.

Thanks, man! That's weird. I mean, he's in Brawl as a trophy, so I just assumed Nintendo had full ownership of the little guy.

2 things I want.

3DS package of stages for the Wii U.

A "stage hazards off" switch for stages, to make more stages competitively viable.

I'd rather have those 2 things than any new character.

Honestly, I'm with you, though the Hazard Toggle takes priority over the 3DS pack. Some stages would be fine as-is, like Yoshi's Island (Brawl) or Pac-Maze, but the Flying Men keep Magicant from being a top-tier stage in my book, and Find Mii wouldn't be worth the port if the entire stage barring one small platform could still randomly collapse at any point.

And, of course, I'd rather have a Hazard Toggle, a character or two, and any stages so long as they're good/able to become good with the Hazard Toggle. Preferably Fountain of Dreams, Magicant/Pac-Maze, Saffron City, and Pokemon Stadium 1/Peach's Castle (Melee) so I can have all of my favorite Smash stages in one game.
And more music from the main menu. Especially if they approach Capcom to take some from Street Fighter.

Hatchtag

Banned
3 new Splatoon maps, playable Octolings

Inkling for Smash, a new stage based on one of the new Splatoon maps

"Melee" stage pack for Smash 4 Wii U, Pokemon Stadium, Corneria, Jungle Japes, Brinstar and Green Greens.

Green Greens sold on its own for the 3DS. Yoshi's Island Melee added for free.

Let's do this

I don't think it's gonna be that Splatoon themed.
My guess: Pokemon Z reveal, Octoling playable in Splatoon + final planned maps and weapons revealed, more stages in Smash, Ridley teased again but not revealed because there are no breaks on the crazy train.

Dr. Buni

I am expecting news about more DLC and I am also expecting to be disappointed because it will likely not happen.
3 new Splatoon maps, playable Octolings

Inkling for Smash, a new stage based on one of the new Splatoon maps

"Melee" stage pack for Smash 4 Wii U, Pokemon Stadium, Corneria, Jungle Japes, Brinstar and Green Greens.

Let's do this
I don't see why a Melee pack would be exclusive to the Wii U. The only exclusive returning stage (DLC) is the Pirate Ship and it isn't on the 3DS is because of the lack of swimming, most likely.
3DS package of stages for the Wii U.
lol. As much as I want 3DS stages on Wii U and Wii U stages on 3DS, I also want it to not happen, in spite of 3DS version haters.

I don't see why a Melee pack would be exclusive to the Wii U. The only exclusive returning stage (DLC) is the Pirate Ship and it isn't on the 3DS is because of the lack of swimming, most likely.
Pirate Ship doesn't even work in 8 player. I don't think it was swimming.

In that list, only Stadium would be Wii U exclusive. The rest are either already on the 3DS, and Green Greens which I think could work on the 3DS. I'm not sure Stadium would work on the 3DS.

Like half of the characters in Smash are owned by a second or third party (HAL, Game Freak, Itoi, Sora, Intelligent Systems) so Chibi Robo not being 100% Nintendo isn't a big deal.

Actually now that I mention that, there isn't a single first party DLC character in Smash.

Mewtwo - Game Freak/Creatures
Roy - Intelligent Systems
Lucas - Itoi
Ryu - Capcom

Also the Dunban costume says it's co-owned by Nintendo and Monolith, even though I thought Monolith was entirely absorbed into Nintendo proper.

Edit: And the Virdi costume doesn't say it's from Sora, so I guess Dark Pit isn't really a second party as I assumed he was.

Nintendo completely owns Earthbound/Mother, Kid Icarus, and Monolithsoft so by extension owns Xenoblade. Fire Emblem is both 1st and 3rd party (or 2nd, depending on how you view Intelligent Systems). I don't know how the new Uprising characters stand in terms of ownership, but since Kid Icarus is 100% owned by Nintendo I imagine that the characters are too, like how Nintendo still completely owns the original Donkey Kong Trilogy and Donkey Kong 64. Earthbound/Mother is completely owned by Nintendo but other studios developed the titles. Miyamoto and Iwata both had a direct hand in the series with Miyamoto declining Itoi and then after revising the plan greenlit it so the origins are definitely Nintendo. Xenoblade is 100% owned by Nintendo and is made by a first party studio, period. Pokemon is co-owned by Nintendo, but there's that large topic made a while ago that goes over the details.

I absolutely don't see Nintendo selling the Melee stages present on 3DS to the Wii U players. Never say never, but that's somehow wrong after 3DS version getting Duck Hunt for free. Sure, it is a simplistic stage, but it's a new one.

Everything Mother related in Smash is always (c) Nintendo/Itoi (and sometimes APE), so he seems to own at least some portion of the rights to the series.

I absolutely don't see Nintendo selling the Melee stages present on 3DS to the Wii U players. Never say never, but that's somehow wrong after 3DS version getting Duck Hunt for free. Sure, it is a simplistic stage, but it's a new one.

They'd be bundled. For slightly above the price of one stage you'd get the whole lot, which also includes Stadium and Green Greens, which are not on the 3DS.

I think an idea for a "bet" game to spice things up while there's no news.

Sketch of rules:
  • Your submission is a sequence of 6 numbers.
  • Whenever a character is announced, your submitted number at the position corresponding to the character is compared to the SourceGaming's poll rank of the worst ranking character in the currently announced character set. The person with smallest number bigger than that rank, or if there are no such, or character is unlisted, with biggest number overall, wins the round.
  • In case of a tie, the worst-ranking character, regardless of announcement order, is removed from the set and the procedure is repeated with the previous number in sequence. If this results in exhaustion of numbers, ties aren't resolved any further.
  • In case of announcement of 7 or more characters, there are no further rounds.

Yeah, I don't see anybody wanting to play this, but maybe you can improve on the general concept.

It would be kind of funny if Chibi Robo had a bunch of unused Amiibo data on it. Like poses for random characters like Wolf, Paper Mario and Waddle Dee in the data, waiting for an Amiibo.

I thought the prices for Smash Characters and Stages were pretty good. It's definitely better than ArcSys DLC prices.

Well, I think you shouldn't count my opinion because I'm a sucker for any Smash Bros DLC. :p

Heck, if Sakurai actually confirm that he's going to port the game to next console and handheld, including all downloadable characters and stages and new modes. Also we might get like couple of veterans like Ice Climbers, etc. Then he proceed to announce that we are going to have two seasons of downloadable characters, stages, etc. I'm all in, and I would buy every single damn things.

The concept behind Season should be similar to Killer Instinct and supposedly Street Fighter V. Season = 6-8 characters each year, so we could have about 12-16 characters in two seasons. Yes, I would buy every single characters. I hope that it would show how much sucker I am! :p
I'm not so eager to buy DLC but seeing as I provide my Wii-u for one of the smash setups at my local fighting scene I don't have much choice. If they include the current dlc in an NX version I'd be fine with that but if they expected us to re-buy it I'd be one miffed Gem :p

The mode is fine, but the DLC is quite pricey, so I am not really buying everything. I have bought Ryu/Suzaku Castle, Lucas and the Nintendo 64 stages; Super Mario Maker and Pirate Ship I am skipping, the first because I don't dig the visuals/gimmick that much and the second is only temporarily. Paying $7 (or $6 for one version of the game only) for a character is kinda... too much, though.
I wouldn't buy everything, especially most of the current DLCers buuuuut i'm not the only one who plays my Wii-U so I can't afford to skimp or 'vote with my wallet', so for me I'd agree that I wouldn't mind them if they were just a smidge cheaper at least :p

My only real complaint is a lack of a season pass. Even a minor discount or some bonus Mii costumes or something - for people who are buying all of the stages and characters it'd be a nice bonus. But $5 a character, $2-3 a stage is fair in my book.

And having to pay extra to get both versions kinda sucks - but I understand why they do that, since it'd cut DLC sales in half if they offered them free.
Oh, don't they have the 'packs' thing? Admittedly they sometimes take a bit to actually bundle them together and the packs aren't actually always cheaper :/

Nothing for me, but hopefully someone gets something exciting somewhere. Ashley, Lip, Viridi, etc don't have a snowball's chance in heck of making it so the only character I'd be excited about that I feel has much chance is inkling, but they'd be pretty fun all the same :3

Any time they tweak Lucina is nice too though. I finally got my hands on an elusive amiibo of her to sit next to my inkling :D

Azure J

I wonder if it's possible to apply many of Dante's moves in Smash

The funny part about this (just thinking about it; nothing further) is that Dante would actually have no problem in Smash considering how fantastic (as in fantasy) his arsenal gets. The big thing that would get in the way would be the fact that his most iconic weapons, Ebony & Ivory, are as realistic a depiction of handguns as can be and couldn't be changed or omitted lest they miss the whole point of the character and franchise.

BY2K

Membero Americo
HEY SHOVEL KNIGHT WHACHA DOIN THERE

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

CRAMRcsWoAAtE6s.png:large

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There it is... I guess?

The funny part about this (just thinking about it; nothing further) is that Dante would actually have no problem in Smash considering how fantastic (as in fantasy) his arsenal gets. The big thing that would get in the way would be the fact that his most iconic weapons, Ebony & Ivory, are as realistic a depiction of handguns as can be and couldn't be changed or omitted lest they miss the whole point of the character and franchise.

Yeah I realized that he wouldn't be able to do much of his gun combos.

Golnei

Yeah I realized that he wouldn't be able to do much of his gun combos.

It wouldn't be that much of an imposition, given how much Snake felt like Snake despite never using a gun. Dante with only Pandora, Nightmare and Kalina Ann for firearms would be perfectly okay.

But there's no point in speculating; since it's obvious that Vergil's going to be the next DLC character, as a way to generate interest in his cameo in The Desolation of Murasame Castle; and the NX-exclusive DMCV.

Hatchtag

Banned
I also know who the next DLC is… ooooh mysterious and totes true because I said it.

Say what you want but there were people in SmashGAF who knew the characters leaking last August were true without saying anything about it. Part of me still suspects there are people here who know more than they are leading on :p.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It wouldn't be that much of an imposition, given how much Snake felt like Snake despite never using a gun. Dante with only Pandora, Nightmare and Kalina Ann for firearms would be perfectly okay.

But there's no point in speculating; since it's obvious that Vergil's going to be the next DLC character, as a way to generate interest in his cameo in The Desolation of Murasame Castle; and the NX-exclusive DMCV.

I'm not motivated enough to believe this.

also 2manyswordanimechars

Hey, anyone wants to actually prove their knowledge/guts later while not revealing themselves? Here's how to do that:
  1. Come up with a very memorable, stupid and unusual phrase involving the name of character. All of the aspects of the phrase are important.
  2. SHA-1 the phrase.
  3. Post the hash.

Then, after the reveal, it will be verifiable that you SHA'd this particular phrase. That, or you actually broke SHA-1 to get a hash matching multiple characters. Either way we win.

Assuming Stealth_ is telling the truth or that their knowledge is any good.

I dunno, I'm feeling more inclined to believe Shovel Knight. Where there's smoke there's fire, and there seems to be an awful lot of smoke.

Concerning the Amiibo page's screw ups--I know it's common for Amiibo pages themselves to list games that they aren't actually compatible for, but has Shovel Knight's situation ever happened before--game page lists Amiibo that doesn't actually work?

NotLiquid

Assuming Stealth_ is telling the truth or that their knowledge is any good.

I dunno, I'm feeling more inclined to believe Shovel Knight. Where there's smoke there's fire, and there seems to be an awful lot of smoke.

Concerning the Amiibo page's screw ups--I know it's common for Amiibo pages themselves to list games that they aren't actually compatible for, but has Shovel Knight's situation ever happened before--game page lists Amiibo that doesn't actually work?

Stealth's deleted tweet explicitly seemed to mention it's not Shovel Knight, which also sets aside that he's the one who mainly mentioned it's a first party newcomer.

Funnily enough I browsed that GameFAQs forum and saw a comment which went among the lines of "yeah we know Wolf and Inkling are the newcomers", to which he actually showed up and replied "Wolf? No". Some people got really mad at him lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom