• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Given Roger's supposed connections, him getting a tip on the ballot results wouldn't be surprising.

Well, Roger was never the person to make that connection. Stealth made the comment. Roger explicitly said he doesn't know about the ballot turnout

It's a conspiracy. Everything has been orchestrated by Nintendo: the character rumors, the Splatoon datamining info aligning, the Shovel Knight amiibo on the smash page, Yacht Club playing coy, people claiming to know the characters, everything all according to keikaku to throw off us the trail of the real newcomer.

Ridley confirmed.

This ruise cruise is too fucking huge

Neoxon

If this many people know, why don't they just reveal the damn character and get it over with? I'm so sick of these faux insiders hoarding information. Everybody has already concluded it's the Inklings, unless they lied about it not being a ballot character.
According to Roger, we're supposed to know who it is either this week or next week. We'll know if they were yanking our chain or not soon enough.

Neoxon

Well, Roger was never the person to make that connection. Stealth made the comment. Roger explicitly said he doesn't know about the ballot turnout
So it was Stealth who made the "may not be #1" comment. But to be fair, Stealth specifically said "the ballot" rather than "polls".

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Given Roger's supposed connections, him getting a tip on the ballot results wouldn't be surprising.

I'm curious, did Roger actually used to work for Nintendo of America? People kept saying that he did but no one know what he did. I found that odd; and tease about upcoming character awhile potentially put his friend(s) at risk. It sound something that I wouldn't do if I used to work at Nintendo of America.

You know, I wonder how the ballot works. I mean, internally. Do they have a bunch of accountants reading every submission and assigning it to appropriate bucket, or do they try to automatize it as much as possible, or what.

Neoxon

I'm curious, did Roger actually used to work for Nintendo of America? People kept saying that he did but no one know what he did. I found that odd; and tease about upcoming character awhile potentially put his friend(s) at risk. It sound something that I wouldn't do if I used to work at Nintendo of America.
He & Josh Thomas usually reference the fact that Roger does have sources within their discussions (Josh even makes jokes about it from time-to-time whenever they speculate).

If this many people know, why don't they just reveal the damn character and get it over with? I'm so sick of these faux insiders hoarding information. Everybody has already concluded it's the Inklings, unless they lied about it not being a ballot character.
And then people will complain about being spoiled rather than surprised due to people not keeping their yaps shut. Just chill, dude.

I don't think any of these people have access to the ballot results. The third guy, RealZef, said it's probably not the ballot winner because that means they would have started this character before the ballot ended. But that doesn't make any sense.

A few days ago he came to the K. Rool thread and said "its definitely not k.rool", then on Twitter he posted this about 20 minutes later:

OOlemI0.png

NotLiquid

Honestly even if its easy to infer something its been a while since we've got an honest reveal. Ever since the ESRB leak the most interesting characters have always fallen into view before they were meant to.

Whatever it is next week, if it is happening, is going to be incredibly refreshing. It's nice to have an honest to god hype train for once with zero knowledge how something is going to look and play.

I don't think any of these people have access to the ballot results. The third guy, RealZef, said it's probably not the ballot winner because that means they would have started this character before the ballot ended. But that doesn't make any sense.

A few days ago he came to the K. Rool thread and said "its definitely not k.rool", then on Twitter he posted this about 20 minutes later:

OOlemI0.png

Zef is very sardonic so I would not read into this tweet.

Yes, this is the first time this has happened. The reverse is very common (an Amiibo showing wrong games, like ZSS in Ducktales), but it's never had the Amiibo, itself, on the page for the game.
That seems worth bringing up. I don't know, everyone's losing their minds over the twitter stuff but I feel like there's something to the Shovel Knight stuff.

NotLiquid

That seems worth bringing up. I don't know, everyone's losing their minds over the twitter stuff but I feel like there's something to the Shovel Knight stuff.

I still feel like there might be some truth to the Shovel Knight rumor but that it'll be in the form of a ballot character next year instead. I feel like both him and K. Rool have a chance yet since at least one of them could have had pre-production hashed out during the Ballot's late stages.

As an aside, that kind of plays into the reason I don't think K. Rool is realistic for this reveal if the Twitter rumors are real. There would have to be a massive turnout for him to have began development so early. I don't think there's a realistic scenario that spurred them to start development so early for him and having him now doesn't make as much sense if they want to leverage DLC as a holiday incentive on top of it. I don't think there'd be a huge pull for that.

November 4 - Inkling and Wolf
Around Christmas - Stage DLC
Early February - Stage DLC 2
Spring - Ballot DLC 1 and 2
Late Spring - Stage DLC, end life support announced
Summer - Last DLC Stage and Mii hats, one last free thank you stage, end of DLC
Autumn - Final balance patch, final free DLC costume to send Smash 4 off (Tabuu Brawler). Support for Smash 4 officially ends after 2 years.
Jan 2017 Direct - Smash 4 Director's Cut NX announced

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Bu…bu…but they might get into trouble!

Reggie, with Bill and JC behind him, may pop round to their house and kick their arse!

Neoxon

A site that I think is banned on GAF ran with the thread I made (which was locked) thinking that it was Roger who said everything. In reality, it was a compilation of everything that has been said on the rumor.

NotLiquid

I'm confused at this whole mess, anyone wanna give me the whole ordeal in bulletpoints?

A verified NoA insider tweeted about having exciting Nintendo news but that they couldn't share it. At least three people, some of which have had verified sources in the past and some of which are close to him, have publicly stated its a Smash newcomer thats first party on the way. Vague descriptions point to it being most likely Inkling and it'd fall in line with Splatoon updates slated to go down soon. Its all speculation. They might be fucking with us but what do we know. At least one person I know who vouches for this is someone I personally trust so I dunno.

Bu…bu…but they might get into trouble!

Reggie, with Bill and JC behind him, may pop round to their house and kick their arse!

To be fair Roger is being defensive as fuck right now on Twitter after MyNintendoNews made an article about the rumors and used him predominantly as a source lmao

Neoxon

To be fair Roger is being defensive as fuck right now on Twitter after MyNintendoNews made an article about the rumors and used him predominantly as a source lmao
MyNintendoNews used my thread as a source. However, the thread was a compilation of everything that has been said by everyone in the know, but MNN took it as Roger being the only one who said all of that. I even spoke with Roger on the matter via Twitter a few minutes ago.

jph139

Honestly, I'm with the "who cares about the bullshitting" side here. Give us some solid details to discuss, or I'm just going to ignore you and wait for the next official word - I'm not so starved for content that I'm going to speculate wildly on the "lead" that a popular, first-party Nintendo character will be included as DLC at some point in the near future.

hupla

What's great about claiming to know who the next character is, but not commiting to any specific one is that even if you are WRONG you can still claim to be right and people on internet message boards will keep trusting you and giving you attention!

What's great about claiming to know who the next character is, but not commiting to any specific one is that even if you are WRONG you can still claim to be right and people on internet message boards will keep trusting you and giving you attention!

That's exactly why I want the SHA.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yep, pretty much.

That's why people shouldn't tease or gloat that they know something about upcoming surprises because things like MyNintendoNews happened.

ZmMJA9a.png

I support Shrek and Donkey. #TeamShrek.

It was some kind of game that he set up.

NotLiquid

Let's just say I'll be less receptive toward a lot of mouthpieces if nothing major is revealed this week even if Roger is trying to defend himself from the Smash talk. There doesn't take a lot to be wrong here. In his case its just "major Nintendo news guys" but right now there's multiple factors hyping up at least something major that doesn't even necessarily have to be Smash if one person wants to come out of this looking good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

A SHA-1 encrypted message. i.e. I could post this today, claiming I know who the next newcomer is but can't say much more:
63edfc0cace15906cafb0623bb46f8c42e18e8a8

Then come the reveal I'll say the above message was: "The upcoming DLC character is the eShop Bag.", which you can then encrypt yourself (with this site) to confirm what I said is true.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let's just say I'll be less receptive toward a lot of mouthpieces if nothing major is revealed this week even if Roger is trying to defend himself from the Smash talk. There doesn't take a lot to be wrong here. In his case its just "major Nintendo news guys" but right now there's multiple factors hyping up at least something major that doesn't even necessarily have to be Smash if one person wants to come out of this looking good.

Well, it don't really help that his friend(s) teased Smash-related news which made it obvious that Roger shared the news with his friend(s). (I meant to the audiences who followed them) As you see, people already misinterpreted the news.

I don't think they'd wait months to release an announced character. They did it for Lucas because that entire update felt like it was released ahead of time and it was also to point out DLC characters will continue past Mewtwo (as there were doubts it would).

Whatever new character is announced this week (if one is), I think it'll release before October is over.

I still day Inklings next week announced, released on November 20th or within a week of with three ither characters. Can't see them releasing any character this month. Too soon after the last update it feels like.

On that note: So many people know! Come on someone leak it already! :mad: (Of course it could've been leaked between the quoted post and the latest page...gotta hurry up and check!)

Dr. Buni

Maybe to avoid backlash? Mentioning the name of character they aren't absolutely sure will be announced would be foolish. Then again, if they aren't 100% sure, they shouldn't have tweeted about knowing about the character, to begin with.

hupla

It's like I'm not claiming that it's impossible for these guys to have insider knowledge, we've seen smash stuff leak its whatever, but I find what they are doing to be disrespectful. To come out and tease this stuff while alluding to the fact you know more doesn't help anyone, it doesn't "hype up " the community it just makes the community anxious, all it does is feed your ego that's the only reason these people tease. Like you could claim that they don't want to get their sources in trouble but guess what just TEASING this information has the potential to fuck over your source and again, that's just being super disrespectful for the sake of an ego boost

It's like I'm not claiming that it's impossible for these guys to have insider knowledge, we've seen smash stuff leak its whatever, but I find what they are doing to be disrespectful. To come out and tease this stuff while alluding to the fact you know more doesn't help anyone, it doesn't "hype up " the community it just makes the community anxious, all it does is fees your ego that's the only reason these people tease. Like you could claim that they don't want to get their sources in trouble but guess what just TEASING this information has the potential to fuck over your source and again, that's just being super disrespectful for the sake of an ego boost

Yup. Either reveal the information or keep your mouth shut. These little "teases" do more harm than good.

NotLiquid

It's like I'm not claiming that it's impossible for these guys to have insider knowledge, we've seen smash stuff leak its whatever, but I find what they are doing to be disrespectful. To come out and tease this stuff while alluding to the fact you know more doesn't help anyone, it doesn't "hype up " the community it just makes the community anxious, all it does is fees your ego that's the only reason these people tease. Like you could claim that they don't want to get their sources in trouble but guess what just TEASING this information has the potential to fuck over your source and again, that's just being super disrespectful for the sake of an ego boost

I agree tbh. Its been on my mind too much because of this haha. When considering the latest responses I seriously question whether all of the Smash stuff will just end up being a pisstake (which I guess is a good anti-hype to have leading up to a reveal).

And if all of this is baloney that'd just make me look bad too for kind of championing the idea lmao :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I agree tbh. Its been on my mind too much because of this haha. When considering the latest responses I seriously question whether all of the Smash stuff will just end up being a pisstake (which I guess is a good anti-hype to have leading up to a reveal).

And if all of this is baloney that'd just make me look bad too for kind of championing the idea lmao :(

Why it would make you look bad?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A Style Savvy character would be awesome ... imagine if she changes clothing with each special, changing the proprieties of her normal moves ?

Yeah, it would be oddball choice but I would love to see what kind of moveset Sakurai would come up for the franchise and character.

Dr. Buni

A Style Savvy character would be awesome ... imagine if she changes clothing with each special, changing the proprieties of her normal moves ?
From what I recall reading, the Style Savvy games sell pretty well, so it wouldn't be that much of a weird addition. The Savvy Stylist would represent a genre unrepresented in Smash, plus... fighting the King of Darkness, among other characters, with a stylist, would pretty awesome, so I am all for it.

Platy

From what I recall reading, the Style Savvy games sell pretty well, so it wouldn't be that much of a weird addition. The Savvy Stylist would represent a genre unrepresented in Smash, plus... fighting the King of Darkness, among other characters, with a stylist, would pretty awesome, so I am all for it.

But it is a "girl focus franchise" ... so like Wii Fit, makes PERFECT sense, but nobody expect because "wtf wii fit trainer ?"

EulaCapra

Holy crap, Style Savvy is getting mentioned!?

It's one of the best underrated games and it sucks that North America has no plans of bringing over the next installment yet.

Dr. Buni

But it is a "girl focus franchise" ... so like Wii Fit, makes PERFECT sense, but nobody expect because "wtf wii fit trainer ?"
I never saw Wii Fit as a girl focus franchise, but one thing Style Savvy and Wii Fit have in common is the fact both series have no action, fighting and violence in general. People seem to not expect characters from these kind of games to appear in Smash, which is why some were surprised by the Villager's inclusion (that and the fact Sakurai said an AC character wouldn't be playable in Smash) and some others doubt Rhythm Heaven will ever get a rep in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom