• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Assuming Stealth_ is telling the truth or that their knowledge is any good.

I dunno, I'm feeling more inclined to believe Shovel Knight. Where there's smoke there's fire, and there seems to be an awful lot of smoke.

Concerning the Amiibo page's screw ups--I know it's common for Amiibo pages themselves to list games that they aren't actually compatible for, but has Shovel Knight's situation ever happened before--game page lists Amiibo that doesn't actually work?
  • This character is a newcomer.
  • This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
  • This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
  • This character is a first-party character.
  • This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
  • Apparently it's a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to Stealth.
There's at least 2 criteria that Shovel Knight doesn't meet to be the character that Roger, Stealth, & the others are hyping up. Likewise, I'd be genuinely shocked if King K. Rool didn't get the most votes, so he probably fails the 2nd bullet point. And while Dixie could fit most of these requirements, she would definitely be a surprise.
The only ones who fits everything are the Inklings.

Vet Wolf Zeroes In!

Includes Corneria on the Wii U and Lylat Cruise on the 3DS (based on the 8 player lite background version). For free, doesn't change his price, just bonuses.

Newcomer Inklings Splat the Competition!

Includes Clown Fish Carnival (new Splatoon stage from the update!) and 8 new songs

Newcomer Shovel Knight Digs Down to Fight!

Includes... uhh... that stage from Shovel Knight that they'd include (I've never played the game) and 6 new songs!

Mii costumes!

- Plumber's Pants (brawler). Blue and Red Overalls that change color depending on your Mii's favorite color (with yellow the pants are purple and with purple and pants are black! White has red pants, other than that the pants are always blue). Unlocks Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi hats as well.
- Doctor Mario Costume (brawler): Lab coat and stethoscope.
- Mummy Costume (sword fighter): Head wraps and wrapped shirt with a scimitar.
- Haunted Horseman Costume (sword fighter): Jack O'Lantern Head and horseman coat with Executioner's axe
- Pokemon Trainer hat: Red's hat. Leaf's hat for girls
- Survivor's Clothes (sword fighter): Beat up baseball cap and torn clothes and a cracked baseball bat weapon
- Knight's Costume (brawler): Purple costume and jester hat
- Slippy Costume (gunner): Similar to the Fox costume, but Slippy.

LET'S DO THIS

With all these people in the know, it's going to get out eventually. Same as the ESRB leak. Too many people know and they tell people and they tell people and one of those extended "friends" leaks it all.

Neoxon

With all these people in the know, it's going to get out eventually. Same as the ESRB leak. Too many people know and they tell people and they tell people and one of those extended "friends" leaks it all.
Roger seems to only be telling people in his general circle of friends in both the Smash & the Splatoon communities, so I doubt that it'd get out. With that in mind, I'm surprised that he has yet to tell Josh Thomas or Etika (unless they do know & are keeping their mouths shut).

Also, Sean said that we'll know who it is "very soon".

Concerning the Amiibo page's screw ups--I know it's common for Amiibo pages themselves to list games that they aren't actually compatible for, but has Shovel Knight's situation ever happened before--game page lists Amiibo that doesn't actually work?

Yes, this is the first time this has happened. The reverse is very common (an Amiibo showing wrong games, like ZSS in Ducktales), but it's never had the Amiibo, itself, on the page for the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Most of those points are fluff. It'll make noise on social media? Yeah, that's 100% true for any new comer because of the nature of it being a new comer. It's a popular character but not necessarily the most popular. Again, what's popular? Lots of characters have fans, especially when you don't reduce them to picking an absolute favourite. And not a surprise? Sorry, but everything is going to be a surprise.

So really all that's worth taking on board is
  • They're a newcomer
  • They're first party

Which is a lot of characters and not only the inklings.

Also it's hilarious that some outlets are taking the possible Shovel Knight mistake as a literal confirmation. Guess that's the problem with people needing to jump on any news straight away, no one sits back and assesses the situation first.

Shame Ryu leaked via the game files. We can't really compare the current buzz with who was in the know before his reveal. However saying that, a lot of people are jumping on board this "I know who it is but can't say anything" train, even seems more than people in the know for the base game.

Platy

From the closed thread :

BassForever said:
Also someone feel like pulling up the tweets back when YCG was denying the SK amiibo?

CoUctjy.png

rd8HIjl.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, this is the first time this has happened. The reverse is very common (an Amiibo showing wrong games, like ZSS in Ducktales), but it's never had the Amiibo, itself, on the page for the game.

Well most Amiibo up to this point have been compatible with Smash. Exceptions are the Inklings, Toad and Chibi Robo, who were all revealed with their own game. Shovel Knight's game however already is out so perhaps the mistake came from adding him to the pre-existing list whereas the others were added alongside their main game. That extra step of adding an amiibo AND game helped avoid such a silly error before. That and judging by the picture posted, looks like they were catching up with all the upcoming Amiibos and got a bit carried away by adding all of them.

J@hranimo

Banned
Stealth's deleted tweet explicitly seemed to mention it's not Shovel Knight, which also sets aside that he's the one who mainly mentioned it's a first party newcomer.

Funnily enough I browsed that GameFAQs forum and saw a comment which went among the lines of "yeah we know Wolf and Inkling are the newcomers", to which he actually showed up and replied "Wolf? No". Some people got really mad at him lmao

• This character is a newcomer.
  • This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
  • This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
  • This character is a first-party character.
  • This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
  • Apparently it's a Newcomer + New Stage combo according to Stealth.
There's at least 2 criteria that Shovel Knight doesn't meet to be the character that Roger, Stealth, & the others are hyping up. Likewise, I'd be genuinely shocked if King K. Rool didn't get the most votes, so he probably fails the 2nd bullet point. And while Dixie could fit most of these requirements, she would definitely be a surprise.
The only ones who fits everything are the Inklings.

Ok I didn't know the last two bullet points. Again, inklings it is! I do miss Wolf though...

I wonder if they'd actually ship just one character? Yea, they did for Mewtwo, but that DLC was weird and it felt like Mewtwo and Lucas were intended to ship together, with Dreamland but Club Nintendo forced their hand.

Inkling + Wolf would be a AAA DLC release and at that point I would be entirely satisfied if they stopped DLC entirely (even though they won't at this point).

Neoxon

I wonder if they'd actually ship just one character? Yea, they did for Mewtwo, but that DLC was weird and it felt like Mewtwo and Lucas were intended to ship together, with Dreamland but Club Nintendo forced their hand.

Inkling + Wolf would be a AAA DLC release and at that point I would be entirely satisfied if they stopped DLC entirely (even though they won't at this point).
It seems more like it'd be an early character announcement that would be released later, much like Mewtwo & Lucas.

Also, Shofu used to be on GAF?

Dr. Buni

We already know that the character isn't Wolf thanks to one of Stealth's deleted tweets.
If Wolf isn't coming back, at least for now, I wonder who they are planning to bring back together with the Inklings (or whoever is the newcomer). We got Ryu with Roy and Lucas and while that definitely doesn't mean we are getting newcomer + two veterans, I think we will likely get at least one veteran back with the next newcomer.

Neoxon

If Wolf isn't coming back, at least for now, I wonder who they are planning to bring back together with the Inklings (or whoever is the newcomer). We got Ryu with Roy and Lucas and while that definitely doesn't mean we are getting newcomer + two veterans, I think we will likely get at least one veteran back with the next newcomer.
Again, I don't think this character (if we're getting one in the near future) is gonna get released immediately after the reveal. It's just too soon after the last update.

Neoxon

Who is this nobody and why should I trust their specific date?
She's leaked a number of Splatoon-based info in the past as well as getting the release dates of certain weapons & stages correct. That being said, most of said leaks came from datamining the game.

Um, no you can't rule out a character based on rumours and speculation.
I'm saying that based on what has been said, the rumored character isn't either Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae. Not only was Wolf explicitly named as not being it, he's definitely not a newcomer. Yes, this is a rumor, but clearly the guys on Twitter aren't referring to him. This is not ruling out Wolf from ever getting in Smash 4 (I'm in the camp that believes that he'll get in eventually), it's ruling out Wolf for this specific rumor.

I don't think they'd wait months to release an announced character. They did it for Lucas because that entire update felt like it was released ahead of time and it was also to point out DLC characters will continue past Mewtwo (as there were doubts it would).

Whatever new character is announced this week (if one is), I think it'll release before October is over.

She's leaked a number of Splatoon-based info in the past as well as getting the release dates of certain weapons & stages correct. That being said, most of said leaks came from datamining the game.

I'm saying that based on what has been said, the rumored character isn't either Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae. Not only was Wolf explicitly named as not being it, he's definitely not a newcomer. Yes, this is a rumor, but clearly the guys on Twitter aren't referring to him.
So you are saying that they put the date they will air a PR promotional video in the game's code base?

Unlikely.

Neoxon

So you are saying that they put the date they will air a PR promotional video in the game's code base?

Unlikely.
I'm saying that we're probably gonna get a dump of Splatoon updates on the 16th. If this pans out, it lines up a little too closely to the ongoing rumor of us finding out who's gonna be next as Smash DLC "very soon".

NotLiquid

It bears repeating that those tweets Nikki made have more to do with Splatoon and Octoling content. With the SplatNet takeover and the actual Squid vs Octo Splatfest that Japan had, it's looking likely that there is going to be some sort of major update involving them (couple with the Octolings having received model additions in recent updates, a stage glitch not being fixed, several major weapons not being released yet, Octoling copyright claims on videos being revoked, no new map content as of late etc). Though it should be said even though she's nailed dates in the past for Splatoon updates they're mostly based on estimates and they might only be tangentially related to Smash if the Inkling murmurs are in any way real.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah while Nikki does hack Splatoon and does have access to a bunch of content I am 100% sure they would not patch in data for a Direct date lol.

Even if that was the date it would just be a really good guess.

Neoxon

Yeah while Nikki does hack Splatoon and does have access to a bunch of content I am 100% sure they would not patch in data for a Direct date lol.

Even if that was the date it would just be a really good guess.
Yeah, the Direct part is most likely a guess. I was mainly referring to the release dates of certain weapons & stages in Splatoon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If this ends up being a farce maybe BGBW can hold it against people in SmashGAF one way or another lmao

I don't really hold anything against SmashGAF. We're just analysing stuff (i.e. doing what a lot of the news outlets should have done with that Shovel Knight story) like we've done since speculation for this game started. My beef is with this gang of Twittererererers who tease information without actually saying anything of substance.

Neoxon

That don't really meant that Wolf wouldn't be in the game.

To be honest, the words really getting around pretty fast. Heck, I found out who they were teased about awhile ago.
Not once did I say that Wolf won't get in the game eventually. I'm just saying that Wolf isn't the character that Roger & his buddies are referring to.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not once did I say that Wolf won't get in the game eventually. I'm just saying that Wolf isn't the character that Roger & his buddies are referring to.

I made the mistake, but I meant next update. It's possible that they only know one of few characters or so.

Ryce

Assuming people are telling the truth about the next DLC character, I really feel like all of the context clues are pointing towards Inkling. That would be incredible.

Neoxon

I made the mistake, but I meant next update. It's possible that they only know one of few characters or so.
Like I said earlier, I don't think this character is gonna get released immediately. I think, if we aren't getting trolled, that this will be a Lucas-esque situation. Let's say for argument's sake that Roger & Co. are referring to the Inklings but will also get Wolf & Shovel Knight, the Inklings would be announced this week but aren't released until early November. We probably wouldn't find out about Wolf & Shovel Knight until November in this scenario.

NotLiquid

I don't really hold anything against SmashGAF. We're just analysing stuff (i.e. doing what a lot of the news outlets should have done with that Shovel Knight story) like we've done since speculation for this game started. My beef is with this gang of Twittererererers who tease information without actually saying anything of substance.

I know :p and I know how dubious it is to go by as well. I just remember how many times GAF members would have avatars of shame and stuff.

Ryce

Like I said earlier, I don't think this character is gonna get released immediately. I think, if we aren't getting trolled, that this will be a Lucas-esque situation. Let's say for argument's sake that Roger & Co. are referring to the Inklings but will also get Wolf & Shovel Knight, the Inklings would be announced this week but aren't released until early November. We probably wouldn't find out about Wolf & Shovel Knight until November in this scenario.
Sean says the release date is this month.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653233552511926272
Regarding to what I've been able to answer:
>Reveal is this month
>Not a Ballot Character
That's all I can say without any trouble

Neoxon

Then it'd probably be at the very end of October to put some distance between it & the September update. And while the character we're supposedly gonna find out soon isn't Shovel Knight, we could also get Shovel Knight in addition to this mystery character since the timing does line up with what Tamaki said.

So someone is going around spreading the info on the next character? Gonna be hilarious if this doesn't pan out then. Though if everything does happen to line up perfectly as the rumors seem to indicate we should have a direct announcement tomorrow. Don't think they've ever announced a direct less than 2 days beforehand.
There was the April 1st Direct.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So someone is going around spreading the info on the next character? Gonna be hilarious if this doesn't pan out then. Though if everything does happen to line up perfectly as the rumors seem to indicate we should have a direct announcement tomorrow. Don't think they've ever announced a direct less than 2 days beforehand.

Tomorrow? I thought someone predicted Direct on Oct 14, right?

If Roger really have any experience working at Nintendo of America, then he should know that he could potentially put the workers at risk for blabbing his mouth on the twitter about upcoming character for few days fame.

Either way, it would be interesting to see what would happens.

Crayolan

Tomorrow? I thought someone predicted Direct on Oct 14, right?

If Roger really have any experience working at Nintendo of America, then he should know that he might put some workers at risk for blabbing his mouth on the twitter about upcoming character for few days fame.

Either way, it would be interesting to see what would happens.

Tomorrow (the 12th) they announce the direct, direct actually happens on the 14th.

Hypothetically.

I am really not a fan of when people dangle information or continually mention that they are "in-the-know" and act like schoolchildren taunting "I know something that yooooou don't!"

Sean Hicks says he's "really damn hyped" about the next character, and this is who he voted for:

GXDOJn3.png

The fact that he says it's not a ballot character leads me to believe that it's the Inklings, since they would have been slapped in as an advertisement regardless of their ballot performance. On the other hand, it could be a red herring. Or this could all be bullshit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Tomorrow (the 12th) they announce the direct, direct actually happens on the 14th.

Hypothetically.

Derp, I misread your comment. That's what I get for being sleep-deprived. I blame it on Mario Kart GAF. :p Mario Kart 8 session with MKGAF was pretty amazing last night with some new people. Neoxon, you should come back for few sessions. :D (anyone feel free to join with us)

Neoxon

Derp, I misread your comment. That's what I get for being sleep-deprived. I blame it on Mario Kart GAF. :p Mario Kart 8 session with MKGAF was pretty amazing last night with some new people. Neoxon, you should come back for few sessions. :D (anyone feel free to join with us)
Not until my little brother gets my GamePad back. I have a Captain Falcon Amiibo that I really want to get the costume for.

Neoxon

Nah. I read this one as the REVEAL date being this month. On the other hand, there's the very soon annotation tweet, so who knows.

(Halloween Direct, anyone? What are the fitting characters?)
Look at the tweet that Sean responded to. The guy asked about the release date.

NotLiquid

I think when people say its not necessarily #1 its in direct reference to several polls that would consistently place characters like K. Rool or Wolf on the #1 spot. Splatoon in spite of being a realistic inclusion never topped lists from fan votes.

If this many people know, why don't they just reveal the damn character and get it over with? I'm so sick of these faux insiders hoarding information. Everybody has already concluded it's the Inklings, unless they lied about it not being a ballot character.

Neoxon

I think when people say its not necessarily #1 its in direct reference to several polls that would consistently place characters like K. Rool or Wolf on the #1 spot. Splatoon in spite of being a realistic inclusion never topped lists from fan votes.
Given Roger's supposed connections, him getting a tip on the ballot results wouldn't be surprising.

Crayolan

I am really not a fan of when people dangle information or continually mention that they are "in-the-know" and act like schoolchildren taunting "I know something that yooooou don't!"

Sean Hicks says he's "really damn hyped" about the next character, and this is who he voted for:

GXDOJn3.png

The fact that he says it's not a ballot character leads me to believe that it's the Inklings, since they would have been slapped in as an advertisement regardless of their ballot performance. On the other hand, it could be a red herring. Or this could all be bullshit.

It's a conspiracy. Everything has been orchestrated by Nintendo: the character rumors, the Splatoon datamining info aligning, the Shovel Knight amiibo on the smash page, Yacht Club playing coy, people claiming to know the characters, everything all according to keikaku to throw us off the trail of the real newcomer.

Ridley confirmed.

Nah. I read this one as the REVEAL date being this month. On the other hand, there's the very soon annotation tweet, so who knows.

(Halloween Direct, anyone? What are the fitting characters?)

Finally we get the long awaited Fatal Frame rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom