• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I feel like Style Savvy has a similar issue to Nintendogs - does Nintendo really want players beating the shit out of a completely normal, mostly realistic, non-combative teenage girl? Wii Fit Trainer is at least abstracted and inhuman-looking. That being said, Sakurai did consider Ayumi Tachibana for Melee, and she's equally "some random girl," so maybe it's not that big an issue.

I'd love to see a Fashionista show up as an Assist Trophy at least. Maybe do something like the Find Mii stage and give bonuses to characters based on the color of their outfits.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've heard so many positive things about Style Savvy over the years I'm actually contemplating getting the upcoming 3DS version.

Dr. Buni

I feel like Style Savvy has a similar issue to Nintendogs - does Nintendo really want players beating the shit out of a completely normal, mostly realistic, non-combative teenage girl? Wii Fit Trainer is at least abstracted and inhuman-looking. That being said, Sakurai did consider Ayumi Tachibana for Melee, and she's equally "some random girl," so maybe it's not that big an issue.

I'd love to see a Fashionista show up as an Assist Trophy at least. Maybe do something like the Find Mii stage and give bonuses to characters based on the color of their outfits.
Well, you can beat the shit out of a dog and a duck in Smash 4. While the dog's levels of normality are questionable, the duck seems to be just a regular duck.

Nightbird

Holy crap, Style Savvy is getting mentioned!?

It's one of the best underrated games and it sucks that North America has no plans of bringing over the next installment yet.

giphy.gif

all this talk about non-combative characters is reminding me that i never got my vote for ted & archie from nintendogs in before the ballot closed D:

maybe next time, boys

Well they were Miis in the 3DS version right, so you could always use that route.

if only miis could make incidental dog puns

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sorry, all the style talk reminds me of the best Metroid game ever. Let me replay it whole before rejoining the discussion.

/snark

dWh1Jg2.png

all this talk about non-combative characters is reminding me that i never got my vote for ted & archie from nintendogs in before the ballot closed D:

maybe next time, boys
Well they were Miis in the 3DS version right, so you could always use that route.

Indeed it does, but it also looks perfectly normal. The dog walks on its hind legs and... laughs, which isn't exactly normal behavior for dogs.

Laughing, sure. Have you never been jumped on by a dog? Seriously? Getting from there to walking for a while is achievable by training for lighter dogs.

Dr. Buni

Laughing, sure. Have you never been jumped on by a dog? Seriously? Getting from there to walking for a while is achievable by training for lighter dogs.
There's a big difference between walking for a while (which might be achievable for real life dogs) and walking for more than a while when holding a box with its front legs (which is something the dog from Duck Hunt can do).
Why are we even having this discussion?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry, all the style talk reminds me of the best Metroid game ever. Let me replay it whole before rejoining the discussion.

/snark

Yeah, Metroid: Other M is definitely one of best game in the franchise. /s

Indeed it does, but it also looks perfectly normal. The dog walks on its hind legs and... laughs, which isn't exactly normal behavior for dogs.

What actually helped Duck Hung is the dog look like he popped out of Looney Tunes show. I like the design overall.

There's a big difference between walking for a while (which might be achievable for real life dogs) and walking for more than a while when holding a box with its front legs (which is something the dog from Duck Hunt can do).
Why are we even having this discussion?

Comparably, duck is not realistic since it can carry a dog three times its size in the air. One isn't much more cartoonish than the other.

Dr. Buni

The lack of the "Great Sea" song and Molgera's theme kinda killed my interest in buying the Pirate Ship stage. For now.

Btw, if Magicant is ported to the Wii U someday, I hope they pick a few songs from Earthbound for the stage, like maybe the Sanctuary Guardians Theme and "Pokey Mean Business!".

Zubz

Banned
1.1.3 might be sooner than we think. Glitch to make Charizard ungrabable.

Not really sure how to actually reproduce it.

Huh. I wonder how they pulled that off? Or if anyone else has a glitch like this after the last patch. Either way, I'm still hoping for an update by the end of the month, what with all this secretive talk of a newcomer/of a Direct coming up. So maybe fixing Charizard will just be one small part of a much-larger 1.1.3?

Guys, what it this is all a hint that the DLC character is a ghost?

Fatal Frame Halloween DLC incoming?
Please?

JazzmanZ

The new character is rumor-man.

He attacks by spilling out fake rumors and giving all the characters hype meters.
Once the hype meter hits the top it blows up and all the characters are burnt out, KO'd easily.

I know it's strongly implied to be Inklings, but there are a few other characters who fit the criteria.

Balloon Fighter
Isaac
Dixie
Chorus Kids
Paper Mario
Captain Toad

All those those people have expected would get into Smash eventually, so they wouldn't be terribly surprising.

The "popular on social media" thing is kind of a non-point because every DLC for Smash would be popular on Social Media. Even Pichu.

I know it's strongly implied to be Inklings, but there are a few other characters who fit the criteria.

Balloon Fighter
Isaac
Dixie
Chorus Kids
Paper Mario
Captain Toad

All those those people have expected would get into Smash eventually, so they wouldn't be terribly surprising.

The "popular on social media" thing is kind of a non-point because every DLC for Smash would be popular on Social Media. Even Pichu.

Also Mallo and Chibi-Robo :3

Neoxon

Could you give me a brief summary of what was said? I can't listen to the video right now, unfortunately.
Basically, they went on to talk about a character that was not only bleeped out, but was fast-forwarded. It's not Wolf, Shantae, or Shovel Knight since both were speculated over without any bleeps.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently it's a character they've spoken about before that caused Reddit to read too much into things.

So just listen to all previous 35 podcasts and work out the answer from there.

Ryce

Basically, they went on to talk about a character that was not only bleeped out, but was fast-forwarded. It's not Wolf, Shantae, or Shovel Knight since both were speculated over without any bleeps.
Was the censored character only briefly brought up out of context, or were they specifically discussing the leak?

Neoxon

Was the censored character only briefly brought up out of context, or were they specifically discussing the leak?
The background moving faster implies that Roger rambled on about the character for a bit.

At this point, I'd be genuinely shocked if it wasn't the Inklings.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Dr. Buni

Yep. It's pretty awesome. I'm glad that I would able to feel so satisfying with Duck Hunt as it's character.
On the subject, you used that Duck Hunt avatar for so long, that it is easy to relate the character with you and vice-versa.
It's Jill from Drill Dozer.

It's why she was retired as an assist trophy.
Don't play with my emotions. :(
None of these guys know who the character is. Stop buying into their attention seeking nonsense.
But what if they do know who the character is?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's Jill from Drill Dozer.

It's why she was retired as an assist trophy.

It was quite disappointing that they got rid of Jill (Drill Dozer). I love that assist trophy sine it could be lifesaver sometime. :D

On the subject, you used that Duck Hunt avatar for so long, that it is easy to relate the character with you and vice-versa.

Yeah, that's true. I have been supporting Duck Hunt ever since Melee got released. Ironically, same for Little Mac.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Basically, wolf's getting replaced by krystal.

oh u

A verified NoA insider tweeted about having exciting Nintendo news but that they couldn't share it. At least three people, some of which have had verified sources in the past and some of which are close to him, have publicly stated its a Smash newcomer thats first party on the way. Vague descriptions point to it being most likely Inkling and it'd fall in line with Splatoon updates slated to go down soon. Its all speculation. They might be fucking with us but what do we know. At least one person I know who vouches for this is someone I personally trust so I dunno.

Ah so it's something like that. I wonder if we'll find out this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom