• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

But what if they do know who the character is?

URZ9Cx8.gif

X-Files music

Dr. Buni

Yeah, that's true. I have been supporting Duck Hunt ever since Melee got released. Ironically, same for Little Mac.
That was my way of asking when you are going back to the Duck Hunt avatar.
Man, there's just too much smoke that I can't help but get excited.

Do we know exactly when this is supposedly going down.
Someone pointed out that if the Direct is on the 14th, like speculated by the Splatoon leaker girl, then it should probably be announced... wait for it... tomorrow! But it probably won't be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
man, the thread about SK is locked

I want to reply there because to this day people still use Snake's "Nintendo history" as some sort of reasoning on why he was in Smash, and not because "Kojima said so".

What if we get Inklings AND Octolings as a Roy-like clone :)

What if we get none of them

Having an inkbrush that creates fire on swing like Roy's sword? Forget that in Smash, give me that in Splatoon, set a whole area of ink on fire, burn Kelp Dome to the ground, now I can finally have fun in Splat Zones.

That would be a great compromise. The development team can use the Inkling's from Splatoon's promotional materials, as it covers the ground for Splatoon's customization options.]

This makes me wish something with visual character customization for next Smash, make the 9th outfit be where you can import your Villagers, Inklings, and maybe Robins from their games into Smash.

Dr. Buni

Having an inkbrush that creates fire on swing like Roy's sword? Forget that in Smash, give me that in Splatoon, set a whole area of ink on fire, burn Blackbelly Skatepark and Saltspray Rig to the ground, now I can finally have fun in Splat Zones.
That's better.

Zubz

Banned
Before people get too excited, Nintendo declared it "Squid Inktober" on Tumblr. "Inktober's" a Tumblr tradition where artists post 1 ink-drawn pic a day for the month of October.

It could still mean something, but in this context, it's most likely more of an art thing on the Splatoon Tumblr than them announcing a big list of Splatoon updates.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
More likely than my suggestion, but probably not happening either. I think it would probably be only one Octoling alt though, the last one could be Agent 3 from the story mode.

I would be okay with Agent 3 costume since I thought it was rad.

That would be a great compromise. The development team can use the Inkling's from Splatoon's promotional materials, as it covers the ground for Splatoon's customization options.

Yeah, I really like those 6 inklings. the colors really popped in that art.

No, no.

Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy, and Octoling as three separate characters.

Yeah, right.

That was disappointment when I found out that they actually cut few colors for Wario and Olimar.

Dr. Buni

I might regret posting this, but what if the newcomer is Ridley?

Ridley would be a newcomer
Ridley is popular, but likely not the #1 ballot choice since a lot of people gave up on them
Ridley would make buzz on the social media
Ridley is first party

Though there's one point against it: Ridley's inclusion would be a surprise at this point.

:p

Blues1990

Ridley is popular, but likely not the #1 ballot choice since a lot of people gave up on them
Ridley is first party

Though there's one point against it: Ridley's inclusion would be a surprise at this point.

I'll be honest with you. At this point, I'll be happy with whatever character will be added to the game. Ryu was a great surprise, and I was happy as pie to see Lucas return. Whatever they choose to bring into the fold, regardless if it's The Marvelous Bunch, Digger D. Mole, Lip, I don't care.

Zubz

Banned

Ridley is first party

I want to agree with you, because when I saw the criteria, I realized he fit most of them. But you're right; even most of his supporters have even given up on him, so it'd be a surprise. And everyone else has already determined that only the Inklings meet this criteria. Assuming Stealth isn't lying (Which (s)he may be) and their hints are accurate, my money's on the Squildren.

Dr. Buni

I want to agree with you, because when I saw the criteria, I realized he fit most of them. But you're right; even most of his supporters have even given up on him, so it'd be a surprise. And everyone else has already determined that only the Inklings meet this criteria. Assuming Stealth isn't lying (Which (s)he may be) and their hints are accurate, my money's on the Squildren.
That is true. So in a way Ridley does meet the criteria. Although I am also betting on Inklings right now, assuming the rumors aren't bullshit. But if Ridley somehow gets in, I would be really happy, since he was pretty much the reason I joined Smash speculation in the first place.
I'll be honest with you. At this point, I'll be happy with whatever character will be added to the game. Ryu was a great surprise, and I was happy as pie to see Lucas return. .
Indeed he was. When he was leaked, I didn't like the idea, especially because Roy was coming together. But after buying and playing him, Ryu's inclusion was definitely a great thing. That being said, unlike you, I will not be happy with whatever character. I am really hoping for new IPs being represented or further representation of underrepresented IPs, so if we get more Fire Emblem or Pokémon characters, I will be slightly disappointed.

KingBroly

Banned
Ridley supporters haven't given up. They are only silent because they are constantly ridiculed and harassed for their support of him. The Smash community is not of open mind. I think he deserves a lot for numerous reasons, but Sakurai doesn't like him, and would rather put in another undeserving Fire Embem character or Palutena clone than Ridley.

And I'm not saying the Inkling is coming to Smash...but the Inkling is coming to Smash. But that's only what I can think of with the information given.

Drago

If the Inklings aren't the upcoming DLC character, then they will just be future DLC, or they will be in Smash 5.

There is literally a 0% chance they don't become a playable fighter at some point.

Blues1990

Indeed he was. When he was leaked, I didn't like the idea, especially because Roy was coming together. But after buying and playing him, Ryu's inclusion was definitely a great thing. That being said, unlike you, I will not be happy with whatever character. I am really hoping for new IPs being represented or further representation of underrepresented IPs, so if we get more Fire Emblem or Pokémon characters, I will be slightly disappointed.

Fair point about the unknown (or unappreciated) Nintendo IP's needing some love, such as Chibi Robo. Come to think of it, someone had mentioned the combat robots from Joy Mech Fight should be added to the game. (Never heard of it, but after checking it out, it looked amazing for a game that was released late in the NES's life cycle.)

I should've mentioned that I want to be pleasantly surprised, more than anything. I do agree that the Mario Bros. (though I want Mario Strikers Daisy to represent the Mario spin-off sports games), Pokemon, & Fire Emblem series having more than enough characters.

NotLiquid

If the Inklings aren't the upcoming DLC character, then they will just be future DLC, or they will be in Smash 5.

There is literally a 0% chance they don't become a playable fighter at some point.

Mhmmm.

Ever since Nintendo turned Splatoon into a marketing juggernaut it was always a matter of when, really. If it wasn't already obvious before, it's clear at this point they are trying to immortalize the kids as their brand new all-star franchise. It's had a refreshing pull ever since day one.

KingBroly

Banned
Mhmmm.

Ever since Nintendo turned Splatoon into a marketing juggernaut it was always a matter of when, really. It's clear at this point they are trying to immortalize the kids as their brand new all-star franchise.

I'm still not seeing any effort from NOA in terms of Splatoon merchandising/esports like NCL has done...like most franchises that aren't Mario

Dr. Buni

Yeah. They are the very definition of "shoe in". Unlike with Olimar back in the Brawl era, I don't think anyone doubts the Inklings inclusion.
Fair point about the unknown (or unappreciated) Nintendo IP's needing some love, such as Chibi Robo. Come to think of it, someone had mentioned the combat robots from Joy Mech Fight should be added to the game. (Never heard of it, but after checking it out, it looked amazing for a game that was released late in the NES's life cycle.)

I should've mentioned that I want to be pleasantly surprised, more than anything. I do agree that the Mario Bros. (though I want Mario Strikers Daisy to represent the Mario spin-off sports games), Pokemon, & Fire Emblem series having more than enough characters.
It's not even solely about the most unknown franchises. If we get Inklings, that is one more franchise represented in Smash and a character with a potentially unique moveset. Same goes for Chibi-Robo, Lip (Panel de Pon), etc. If we get Dixie Kong or King K. Rool, we will have DK, one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, being further represented and getting a bit more of the respect it deserves. If we get Ridley (lol :/), same except for the Metroid series.

If we another Pokémon, Fire Emblem lord or Mario character... yawn. They could potentially be unique and have fun movesets, but still, I can't think of any character from these series that would be as exciting as the others I mentioned above (to me!).

kunonabi

man, the thread about SK is locked

I want to reply there because to this day people still use Snake's "Nintendo history" as some sort of reasoning on why he was in Smash, and not because "Kojima said so".

I get that people want Snake back but I will never understand their delusional arguments that Metal Gear has a rich history with Nintendo. It's just nonsense from every possible angle. I mean if Metal Gear of all things has this super important legacy with Nintendo than the Castlevania series is practically a Nintendo IP then.

PK Gaming

I know who one of the dlc characters are

you didn't get it from me

and i'll soon be deleting this post so catch it if you can

it's

edit: well it's too late now

I'm still not seeing any effort from NOA in terms of Splatoon merchandising/esports like NCL has done...like most franchises that aren't Mario

It takes NOA a good couple years to get the merchandise rolling. I've seen Mario plushies at stores that are branded as brand new toys that I saw on Play Asian years ago.

We never got any of the piles of Animal Crossing and Kirby merchandise Japan has, either.

KingBroly

Banned
Chibi Robo DOES NOT deserve to be in Smash. Like...ever. There are SO MANY characters from other series that deserve a spot. Dixie, Cranky, K Rool, Ridley, Impa, Tingle, Midna. It's absurd that Chibi Robo would get in before a character from Rhythm Heaven as well. The character simply doesn't belong.

Dr. Buni

Chibi Robo DOES NOT deserve to be in Smash. Like...ever. There are SO MANY characters from other series that deserve a spot. Dixie, Cranky, K Rool, Ridley, Impa, Tingle, Midna. It's absurd that Chibi Robo would get in before a character from Rhythm Heaven as well. The character simply doesn't belong.
As much as I would prefer a Rhythm Heaven rep or the Inklings over Chibi Robo, I don't believe in this "deserving" argument, especially when we already have characters in Smash that would meet the non deserving criteria.

NotLiquid

The Santa Monica thing they had seemed relatively uncharacteristic yet major in terms of Nintendo promotion, plus several malls in Canada even had those (ugly) fountain statues. Hilariously enough, as memetic as those kid/squid adverts are, that one has over 2 million views and probably helped gain it a slosher-full of exposure in spite of how it was ridiculed. No such thing as bad publicity it seems. But indeed, NCL has done more to leverage Splatoon as a whole. I guess that's not too surprising since Japan has a very mascot-oriented audience when it comes to the marketing reception and Splatoon checks off so many boxes on that end.

It'd be interesting to see what Nintendo could do to leverage eSports with it in the west since they're dipping their feet into the kiddie pool with Smash.

KingBroly

Banned
As much as I would prefer a Rhythm Heaven rep or the Inklings over Chibi Robo, I don't believe in this "deserving" argument, especially when we already have characters in Smash that would meet the non deserving criteria.

I think it'd be insane to put Chibi Robo in before a RH character. One is on it's way to the graveyard (To join Samus and Captain Falcon) and one is a very popular niche franchise.

Characters that don't belong in Smash: Every single clone that they haven't done enough to continue to differentiate.

Oh my

Well

Okay then

Dr. Buni

I think it'd be insane to put Chibi Robo in before a RH character. One is on it's way to the graveyard (To join Samus and Captain Falcon) and one is a very popular niche franchise.

Characters that don't belong in Smash: Every single clone that they haven't done enough to continue to differentiate.
That's fine. I personally think it was weird to add certain characters to Smash 4 (not mentioning names, because I don't want anyone raging at me tonight). Again, I want a Rhythm Heaven rep and the Inklings, but I don't see how Chibi Robo doesn't belong in Smash. I would rather have him than have Impa, Tingle and Midna.

Sponge

Banned
That's fine. I personally think it was weird to add certain characters to Smash 4 (not mentioning names, because I don't want anyone raging at me tonight). Again, I want a Rhythm Heaven rep and the Inklings, but I don't see how Chibi Robo doesn't belong in Smash. I would rather have him than have Impa, Tingle and Midna.

Me too, honestly. I think they could work a move set out for him easily. Especially now that he has a game that plays in 2D.

Neiteio

I still think Sakurai may surprise us. He seems to value surprise. He knows what we may be expecting, so he may be trying to give us something we're not.

Like who was really expecting Ryu. For myriad reasons, most people just weren't thinking of him. "He's from a fighting game." "He's another Capcom rep." Etc, etc.

Pokemaniac

I wouldn't say that yet. If we don't get a proper Metroid game within the next 3 years or so, maybe, but this dormant period isn't really atypical of Metroid right now.

Dr. Buni

Me too, honestly. I think they could work a move set out for him easily. Especially now that he has a game that plays in 2D.
I have only played a bit of the original game, so I don't know how his moveset would be like. The only thing I presume is that he would have a tether grab/recovery. Also, making a moveset for Chibi Robo would me much easier than making a moveset for a Rhythm Heaven character. Knowing Sakurai, he would want to represent the rhythm mechanics in some meaningful way, after all.

At any rate, I totally dig Chibi Robo's design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom