• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throw in some minis and maybe a gag math move or taunt as well.

No need to be a clone. Plenty to work with just from DK, DK Jr, DK '94, and the MvDK series.

The first 15 years of the Donkey Kong franchise is basically ignored in Smash, besides one of the worst levels in the entire series.

The first 15 years of Donkey Kong consists of three arcade games and one of the worst games Nintendo has ever published. A stage is better than nothing, considering that Sakurai has ignored entire franchises like Wario Land. Also, if you want to talk about important games in the series being "basically ignored", go take a look at DKC3, which has literally nothing. Not even a trophy. I think a new stage based on the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series would be a great choice for an additional DK stage, alongside something like Bramble Scramble or The Flying Kroc from DKC2. But they don't take place in the jungle, so they seem highly unlikely. I expect a reskinned Jungle Hijinx covered in snow as the token new DK stage for Smash 5.

Guess who also has a Mario Maker costume? That's right, Donkey Kong Jr does!

Because they could rip the sprite from an existing NES game, which is why characters like Foreman Spike are also included. Could you imagine if they included an 8-bit sprite for K. Rool or Dixie? People like yourself would automatically assume that they were related to Smash. As soon as I saw that trademark, I knew that you were going to rush in here and push your "DK Jr. for Smash!" agenda. I can name at least five DK characters that I would rather see.

K. Rool > Dixie > Cranky > Lanky > Kiddy > Snide > Tiki Tong > DK Jr.

He was permabanned from NeoGaf for advertising a supposedly official Layton twitter account (that strongly suggested he was going to be Brawl DLC) that he had in fact made himself.

Platy

Judging by the hints we got, we're probably getting the Inklings as the mystery character that Roger, Stealth, & the others are hyping up.

Yes, would be awesome. But what about older franchises ?

Elite Beat Agents, Style Savvy, Hanafuda, Nintendogs, Tetris, Art Style, Bit Generations, Art Academy, Eletroplankton, Steel Diver...

Even the ones with assist trophies like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, ExciteBike, Takamaru...

Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history .... not just it's major franchises =/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So this Jr. thing made me watch the Kong documentary and what, The Great Ape War? wtf

also DK Jr. is actually DK's dad?

Neoxon

He was permabanned from NeoGaf for advertising a supposedly official Layton twitter account (that strongly suggested he was going to be Brawl DLC) that he had in fact made himself.
To be fair, that was like 7 years ago. Plus most of the hints came for Stealth.

My DK Jr for Smash agenda lmao

You do know I want K Rool in the game, right?

That doesn't mean you don't have an agenda. I have a pro K. Rool agenda, so I didn't mean that in a disrespectful way. :p

More reps from the same franchises .... give us NEW franchises !
I do think Wars, Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, and Splatoon deserve representation of some kind, but there shouldn't be some quota to include certain characters based on what icon they have next to their name. I would not be satisfied with DK Jr. just because "durr new DK rep." He's a boring character that has basically been retconned out of existence. Maybe I'd tolerate his inclusion if K. Rool and Dixie got in first, but not until.

A character from that era I'd like to see return is Wart. Wasn't there some rumor that he was originally going to be included in Mario Tennis as Wario's doubles partner? I'd take Wart over Waluigi, to be honest.

Neoxon

They hired him at NOA after he made a fool of himself by misleading people about Brawl DLC?

Or did he work at NOA before all this.
It was before, I think. But I see that the wounds still run deep here on GAF.

I'm guessing that none of you believe that we're gonna get a character either this week or next week.

woopWOOP

and Donkey Kong 3 is an abomination that nobody cares about.
I like Donkey Kong 3 :[
No serious, it's one of few arcade type games aside from Dr.Mario and Tetris that I still occasionally boot up and play. Gets intense after a few rounds.

Stanley or DK.Jr as third DK rep would piss off all the Country fans like no tomorrow. Sakurai shouldn't do it unless he's aiming for meltdowns of Metroid Prime: Federation Force proportions, lol

I'm down for a Donkey Kong Jr. or Donkey Kong 3 based stage though

I'm guessing that none of you believe that we're gonna get a character either this week or next week.

There's too much going on right now, even without a confirmed Smash announcement, for something to not be up.

- Octolings strongly rumored
- Twilight Princess HD
- Piles of new Wii VC titles coming
- Nintendo's first big mobile title "to be announced soon"

Something is going down very soon.

Dr. Buni

Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history .... not just it's major franchises =/
It's also a marketing tool for Nintendo, which means games that sell better/are more popular tend to have better chances of being represented. Which is why a lot of people bet on the Inklings and not on Wonder Red. Although that isn't a rule, otherwise we would have a Rhythm Heaven rep by now.

Also, is the Ouendan IP owned by Nintendo?

Platy

It's also a marketing tool for Nintendo, which means games that sell better/are more popular tend to have better chances of being represented. Which is why a lot of people bet on the Inklings and not on Wonder Red. Although that isn't a rule, otherwise we would have a Rhythm Heaven rep by now.

Enogh for they being a trophy.

But then again Luigi's Mansion has a tetris song so I am not sure

Neoxon

And if I recall, Sakurai himself said that he's less inclined to add characters from franchises that don't have much of a future.

Dr. Buni

Enogh for they being a trophy.

But then again Luigi's Mansion has a tetris song so I am not sure
There are trophies of plenty of IPs not owned by Nintendo in Smash, though...
And if I recall, Sakurai himself said that he's less inclined to add characters from franchises that don't have much of a future.
I remember reading about that, but I am not sure if Sakurai truly said that or if its one of those quotes people randomly attribute to public figures.

NotLiquid

Well I mean... I want to believe.

But Roger himself was always careful with his wording so as to never implicate Smash being "major news" that he found out. Sure, that's what people around him will say but you gotta ask how that talk got going to begin with. That's why I kind of suggested unceremoniously that the major news was something else at Nintendo such as TP HD. It never took much for him of all people to be "right".

Several people near me who seem to have been privy to this news believe that this "Smash news" is actually real too, and at least one of them I imagine wouldn't just buy into hearsay so I'd like to imagine there's some truth to all of this.

Like balladofwindwishes says, there is a lot of smoke at Nintendo right now for there to not be some major announcements incoming. But whether Smash is one of them, well... that's something I'm not being overly excited about anymore. I hope all of this is true but, y'know how it is. I'd hate to be heartbroken over a possibility I got myself really pumped up about.

Platy

A character from that era I'd like to see return is Wart. Wasn't there some rumor that he was originally going to be included in Mario Tennis as Wario's doubles partner? I'd take Wart over Waluigi, to be honest.

Wart is interesting because he is almost a Doki Doki Panic representation, which is the kind of weird nintendo trivia that would be awesome to receive more representation on Smash

Didn't he said that ... and then announced Game & Watch and Ice Climbers ? =P

Also ... DID YOU SAY FUTURE ?

CH1YpiS.png

https://twitter.com/NintendoTweet/status/651365530838933504

Neoxon

Well I mean... I want to believe.

But Roger himself was always careful with his wording so as to never implicate Smash being "major news" that he found out. Sure, that's what people around him will say but you gotta ask how that talk got going to begin with. That's why I kind of suggested unceremoniously that the major news was something else at Nintendo such as TP HD. It never took much for him of all people to be "right".

Several people near me who seem to have been privy to this news believe that this "Smash news" is actually real too, and at least one of them I imagine wouldn't just buy into hearsay so I'd like to imagine there's some truth to all of this.

Like balladofwindwishes says, there is a lot of smoke at Nintendo right now for there to not be some major announcements incoming. But whether Smash is one of them, well... that's something I'm not being overly excited about anymore. I hope all of this is true but, y'know how it is. I'd hate to be heartbroken over a possibility I got myself really pumped up about.
Didn't he say already that the news he was referring to was Smash-related? That plus a number of people who also know that are also saying that it's Smash-related.

Javier

There are EBA and Ouendan characters in Brawl as trophies with no credit to INIS (the developers of the games), so I guess they're fully owned by Nintendo.

I'd love Agent J or Ryuta in Smash, but the series has two big problems: 1) It's essentially dead and 2) It's strongly founded on the fact it uses licensed music (which could be an issue when making a stage).

NotLiquid

Didn't he say already that the news he was referring to was Smash-related? That plus a number of people who also know that are also saying that it's Smash-related.

He never explicitly implied it as far as I remember - he only carefully denied that he knew the ballot outcome and that he was the one who said most of what the newcomer stuff was. Unless there was something in that Japan Time podcast that I missed.

There are EBA and Ouendan characters in Brawl as trophies with no credit to INIS (the developers of the games), so I guess they're fully owned by Nintendo.

I'd love Agent J or Ryuta in Smash, but the series has two big problems: 1) It's essentially dead and 2) It's strongly founded on the fact it uses licensed music (which could be an issue when making a stage).

I can see the OSU and EBA series getting some resurgence if Nintendo decides to make a Free to Start game of them on Mobile and 3DS, Wii U, and NX.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They called me crazy when I said Donkey Kong Jr would be the best Donkey Kong rep

Looks like Nintendo is going to do something with DKJr very soon.

I bet that it's for new mobile game.

Actually, someone said that we should expect to hear something about it last week or this week. I don't know where you got next week from. Unless you thought of fake Slealth from Gamefaqs.

That's why people need to stop expecting something because other people says so. Just wait until we hear something official from Nintendo. Just let Nintendo strike us when they are ready.

Rogerbase never did. It was other twitter guys.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As much as I want an Ouendan or EBA character, it would suck to get them without any of the music from the games. I doubt Sakurai would go through the trouble of licencing the songs for each country the game releases on.

Neoxon

I bet that it's for new mobile game.

Actually, someone said that we should expect to hear something about it last week or this week. I don't know where you got next week from. Unless you thought of fake Slealth from Gamefaqs.

That's why people need to stop expecting something because other people says so. Just wait until we hear something official from Nintendo. Just let Nintendo strike us when they are ready.

Rogerbase never did. It was other twitter guys.
I think it was Sean who said that we'll hear something soon (as well as the real Stealth on Twitter).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I leaked long ago DK Jr will be the antagonist of the next DKC.

Maybe if I said cryptically that I just knew who the antagonist is but can't say who it is people would have payed more attention.

Or perhaps it's because everything I say is made up.

kirby_fox

Banned
You mean climbing vines? Because that's literally all he does. The arcade games are adequately "represented". Donkey Jr. was always known as the sequel that never lived up to the original, and Donkey Kong 3 is an abomination that nobody cares about.

DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze are the games that need more representation. ie; the sequel games that Sakurai likes to ignore for some reason.

Yes, let's make a character solely around climbing vines and based on one game while ignoring the other arcade titles. Exactly what I meant Gonzo...

Dr. Buni

Ouedan/Elite Beat Agents characters are perfectly material for Assist Trophy. After all, assisting people by dancing and cheering is what they do in their games.

I really want a playable character from a rhythm game though (originated from a rhythm game, to be more specific).

NotLiquid

I'll give the rumor one more week. If nothing happens, I'll give up on it.

Just going to have to hope the Ballot succeeds in getting the Inklings in, though I'd assume they'd be the kind of character that Nintendo would want in at some point regardless of fan turnout.

Ouedan/Elite Beat Agents characters are perfectly material for Assist Trophy. After all, assisting people by dancing and cheering is what they do in their games.

I really want a playable character from a rhythm game though (originated from a rhythm game, to be more specific).

Chorus Kiiiiiiids

(Or other RH rep)

ouendan and eba have some pretty cool original music. the title screen tracks are all pretty funky and ouendan hymn is the closest thing to a theme for the series.

i don't think you could have a stage with only its original music (also lol as if it would get a stage) but you could make a decent medley to put on a rhythm heaven stage or something.

The way the Wario Ware series has completely and utterly collapsed since Smooth Moves is bizarre.
I thought it collapsed with Game & Wario? :p

Woah... this Ashley-shaped rabbithole goes even deeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi-oscNnNWE (that's from Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ which came out in June :eek:)
(to be fair, the other warioware characters are in there too... but Ashley is the only one who appears as a doll in one of the menus too :p )

warioware is probably dead but ashley is gonna live on, somehow

in the past couple years there's been such a spike in her appearances in things relative to other warioware characters

Woah... this Ashley-shaped rabbithole goes even deeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi-oscNnNWE (that's from Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ which came out in June :eek:)
(to be fair, the other warioware characters are in there too... but Ashley is the only one who appears as a doll in one of the menus too :p )

is it ok if you spoiler tag that? that's actually my recording and it's presented as a really neat surprise in the context of the game so i just think it'd be neat if people went in unspoiled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom