• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
warioware is probably dead but ashley is gonna live on, somehow

in the past couple years there's been such a spike in her appearances in things relative to other warioware characters

is it ok if you spoiler tag that? that's actually my recording and it's presented as a really neat surprise in the context of the game so i just think it'd be neat if people went in unspoiled!
Ah, small world XD
Ok, spoiler-ed :3

The hour or so I spent playing/observing the Game & Wario demo kiosks at the Nintendo World Store was one of the most depressing moments I ever had as a gamer.

Yes, would be awesome. But what about older franchises ?

Elite Beat Agents, Style Savvy, Hanafuda, Nintendogs, Tetris, Art Style, Bit Generations, Art Academy, Eletroplankton, Steel Diver...

Even the ones with assist trophies like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, ExciteBike, Takamaru...

Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history .... not just it's major franchises =/

It's kind of debatable how most of those are really any important to Nintendo's history though. I guess you can argue for Hanafuda cards, Nintendogs and Tetris, but they're not particularly feasible as far as characters go. The rest of those series you mentioned outside of maybe ExciteBike (even then...) didn't really leave much of an impact.

The hour or so I spent playing/observing the Game & Wario demo kiosks at the Nintendo World Store was one of the most depressing moments I ever had as a gamer.

I was somewhat confuzzled what they were trying to accomplish with Game & Wario, but some of the games in it are decent and as GiantBreadBug says it's got some really good multiplayer buried in it (you can find youtubers showing vids of the islands game everywhere and the drawing game had me and a bunch of friends fully engaged for a sizeable chunk of the night XD )

I was somewhat confuzzled what they were trying to accomplish with Game & Wario, but some of the games in it are decent and as GiantBreadBug says it's got some really good multiplayer buried in it (you can find youtubers showing vids of the islands game everywhere and the drawing game had me and a bunch of friends fully engaged for a sizeable chunk of the night XD )

Can't speak for the multiplayer because no one wanted to play it, and that's not an exaggeration. If you've ever visited NWC, you should definitely be familiar with that big demo annex-type room they have on the second floor. That's where Game & Wario was. Typically whenever I visit that part's always crowded, but I only saw maybe five people at most approach the game (whereas the Nintendo Land/NSMBU kiosks were surrounded). All dropped the game within a minute or two.

The kicker was when I saw a little boy try to play the Mona Shutter game until his dad came over, saw he was struggling and said "Hey, buddy, I don't think this is the game for you. Let's go play that game over there".

The game as a whole is just a big question mark for me. At least we got the amazing Gamer stage out of it.

Golnei

warioware is probably dead but ashley is gonna live on, somehow

in the past couple years there's been such a spike in her appearances in things relative to other warioware characters

If they're going to launch the NX handheld with a dating sim crossover, they have to make sure they have an established cast. Ashley's more frequent appearances, Tiki's redesign in #FE, Agitha in Hyrule Warriors - it all makes sense. I assume characters like Lin are considered recent enough to not require further promotion.

Dr. Buni

I dunno about WarioWare, but Ashley seem to be here to stay. Hopefully Nintendo won't do anything creepy regarding the character and ruin her :p

I actually can see her as a second Wario rep, if they ever decide to further represent the Wario brand.

also, ashley comix. and the costume in mario maker. i'd say she's practically beyond the warioware series at this point, lol.

wouldn't be surprised at all if she got an eshop game or something. if things keep up like this, she could definitely be a playable character contender imo, even if warioware ends up dead by then.

also i'll go on record saying that for the $0 i spent on game & wario, i enjoyed it, but i think that slapping a warioware skin onto some wii u tech demos probably wasn't the best idea to keep the brand alive

Draxal

If they're going to launch the NX handheld with a dating sim crossover, they have to make sure they have an established cast. Ashley's more frequent appearances, Tiki's redesign in #FE, Agitha in Hyrule Warriors - it all makes sense. I assume characters like Lin are considered recent enough to not require further promotion.

Finally Waluigi's time to shine.

What if Ashley's increased prominence leads to a spinoff game starring her :v

It'd be a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff (of a spinoff, depending on who you ask)

she's also in DLC for the 3DS Band Brothers, featuring what must be the shittiest rendition of her theme.

this was added as a reward to the JP Club Nintendo last halloween.

I'm actually feeling pretty optimistc about the future of warioware.
I'd like more warioware, especially with some more decent multiplayer games (the paper airplane one was surprisingly good)
That rendition of Ashley's theme was kind of painful, which is surprising considering just about every remix or whatnot of it so far has been pretty darn good :eek:

Can't speak for the multiplayer because no one wanted to play it, and that's not an exaggeration. If you've ever visited NWC, you should definitely be familiar with that big demo annex-type room they have on the second floor. That's where Game & Wario was. Typically whenever I visit that part's always crowded, but I only saw maybe five people at most approach the game (whereas the Nintendo Land/NSMBU kiosks were surrounded). All dropped the game within a minute or two.

The kicker was when I saw a little boy try to play the Mona Shutter game until his dad came over, saw he was struggling and said "Hey, buddy, I don't think this is the game for you. Let's go play that game over there".

The game as a whole is just a big question mark for me. At least we got the amazing Gamer stage out of it.
I think the big issue is that while some of the games themselves were good, none of them were 'bigger' than a sort of mobile phone game so it came across as a collection of those and that's not really what most people want from a console game, at least that's my theory anyhoo.

also, ashley comix. and the costume in mario maker. i'd say she's practically beyond the warioware series at this point, lol.

wouldn't be surprised at all if she got an eshop game or something. if things keep up like this, she could definitely be a playable character contender imo, even if warioware ends up dead by then.

also i'll go on record saying that for the $0 i spent on game & wario, i enjoyed it, but i think that slapping a warioware skin onto some wii u tech demos probably wasn't the best idea to keep the brand alive
I'd totally get an Ashley game as long as it was decent. The shooter on Game & Wario was one of the better ones. Also any excuse to get an Ashley Amiibo is a good excuse :3

Poor Jimmy T. ;___;
He'll be fine. He has lots of kitties to keep him company :D
hqdefault.jpg

Wasn't there an image that screencaptured a ton of complaining after Ashley was revealed to only be an Assist Trophy? Out of the current Assist Trophies, I can see her being maybe one of the top five most requested out of that batch.

Wasn't there an image that screencaptured a ton of complaining after Ashley was revealed to only be an Assist Trophy? Out of the current Assist Trophies, I can see her being maybe one of the top five most requested out of that batch.

I could see it. Of the ATs from Brawl/Wii U...

10. Infantry & Tanks
9. Midna (she really grew on me eventually)
8. Jill & Drill Dozer
7. Dark Samus
6. Takamaru
5. Ashley
4. Ray MK III
3. Isaac
2. Isabelle
1. Tingle

Those would definitely be a great selection of newcomers for me.

Dr. Buni

I can't see we getting that many newcomers in the next Smash (without cuts), considering we still have a couple DLC characters currently unreleased.

Like I've always argued, eventually they're going to have to realize that making every entry from the ground up is not economical. They either have to:

A. Sacrifice the number of newcomers, or
B. Sacrifice creating a new engine

If they went with A., they would have to deal with tons of disappointed fans and the risk of creating another Brawl scenario. B. might have some people feeling disappointed, but it will pale in comparison to how angry people would be if we saw a ton of cuts and few newcomers.

Took a bit of digging because i kept coming across the mewtwo one instead, but I finally found it :D

bonus amusement for our foxuzamaki appearing so prominently next to Sakurai's miiverse post XD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like I've always argued, eventually they're going to have to realize that making every entry from the ground up is not economical. They either have to:

If they went with A., they would have to deal with tons of disappointed fans and the risk of creating another Brawl scenario. B. might have some people feeling disappointed, but it will pale in comparison to how angry people would be if we saw a ton of cuts and few newcomers.

Also fighting game sequels that focus on newcomers first tend to sell much worse than sequels that mainly focus on older characters. SF Zero, SF III, Soul Calibur V, Mortal Kombat V.

Dr. Buni

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/654467640329531392

"direct Friday, apparently, as 4 or 5 people have told me"

She keeps betting on a Direct this week. I wonder who these people are.
The problem isn't even resources/times, the way I see. The problem with ~10 newcomers on top of the roster we have now is mostly the balance of the game. Smash with over 60 characters will be a mess and I would honestly prefer a balanced Smash 5 to have ~5 newcomers than a unbalanced Brawl-like Smash 5 with 20 newcomers.

Azure J

In the current (sourcing Smashboards specifically) meta, Waluigi, Takamaru and Ashley are the big three of AT characters.

Honestly, at this point, the AT selection is fucking stacked.

Edit: I expect GAF to be razed to the ground soon.

I really doubt Smash 4 is a new engine. Many characters, stages, assist trophies, trophies and items feel ported directly from Brawl and slightly cleaned up, along with the game feeling quite a lot like Brawl, mechanics wise. From what I've read, the scripting files are formatted basically identical to how Brawl's were as well.

Brawl only had Game and Watch and Jigglypuff which felt ported from Melee, somewhat, but I'm not even sure they're ported or if they just happen to look basically identical to Melee by coincidence (as they're simple characters). But Smash 4 has pretty blatant Brawl ported characters, along with a pile of ported stages, and even, for the first time in the series, trophies ported from the previous game (some Final Smashes for example).

Crayolan

If there's a direct friday then that means we should expect an announcement today. I guess we'll know soon then.

Wii Fit trainer and villager says that everything is feasible.

Earthbound, ice climbers and rob proves it does not need to leave an impact or have a new game this generation

Everything goes with smash and that is why I love it so much

There's always a surprise retro character. I'm pretty sure in one of his translated articles sakurai even said that's something he tries to do intentionally every game.

Earthbound I don't know, I doubt choosing the Smash 64 selection was similar to the future installments' selections. Though at that time Earthbound did have a future since Mother 3 was in development.

Platy

It's kind of debatable how most of those are really any important to Nintendo's history though. I guess you can argue for Hanafuda cards, Nintendogs and Tetris, but they're not particularly feasible as far as characters go. The rest of those series you mentioned outside of maybe ExciteBike (even then...) didn't really leave much of an impact.

Earthbound, ice climbers and rob proves it does not need to leave an impact or have a new game this generation

Everything goes with smash and that is why I love it so much

In the current (sourcing Smashboards specifically) meta, Waluigi, Takamaru and Ashley are the big three of AT characters.

Honestly, at this point, the AT selection is fucking stacked.

Edit: I expect GAF to be razed to the ground soon.
Most of the characters I'm truly passionate about are Assist Trophies or Costumes :/

I just realized im on there fucking twice
XD
Your 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' does go quite well with the lyrics of the song though :3
To be fair, I think they just picked your stuff to gel with other stuff because your reaction was pretty mild :D

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised I didn't end getting myself on there somewhere :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If a Direct is going to happen Friday, we'll know by midday tomorrow. So it's not like we have to wait long to find out.

Have they done a Direct on a Friday?

Yes, they have done it on Friday but it's very rare tho. Well, we have a new president and everything changed in Nintendo so right now it's unpredictable to see what would happens.

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/654467640329531392

"direct Friday, apparently, as 4 or 5 people have told me"

She keeps betting on a Direct this week. I wonder who these people are.

The problem isn't even resources/times, the way I see. The problem with ~10 newcomers on top of the roster we have now is mostly the balance of the game. Smash with over 60 characters will be a mess and I would honestly prefer a balanced Smash 5 to have ~5 newcomers than a unbalanced Brawl-like Smash 5 with 20 newcomers.

Have anyone ever called it for Direct date?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Most of the characters I'm truly passionate about are Assist Trophies or Costumes :/

XD
Your 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH' does go quite well with the lyrics of the song though :3
To be fair, I think they just picked your stuff to gel with other stuff because your reaction was pretty mild :D

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised I didn't end getting myself on there somewhere :p

My "AAAAHHH" wasent even salt driven, I was just more excited then disappointed at the moment when sakuai posted the picture, cause he was atleast aware of how big a deal ashley was lol

R.O.B definitely had an impact in Nintendo's history. He basically helped save the gaming industry in America as we know it. Ice Climbers were chosen in particular to represent classic NES action games that Nintendo's home console business had its roots in. As for EB, it's notable in that it had the weight of Miyamoto, Itoi and Iwata behind it. When you have so many famous people in the japanese industry behind a product, I think that makes it noteworthy.

I don't think making Hanafuda cards or Tetris blocks into actual playable characters is the same as WFT and Villager. WFT had a bunch of yoga poses to use as moves and Villager already had a bunch of tools that would of worked in Smash. I don't think something like a Tetris block has anything going for it that'd make it work as a playable character.

I don't think it's really fair to cite SFIII's failure, when the big reason it failed was because of a tricky engine.

As for the balance issues, meh. Sure, this game likely did a lot of porting, but the difference here is that they likely won't have to do much tweaking at all (aside from nerfing/buffing accordingly based on who gets added to the game). I mean, yeah, Brawl's big roster provided some problematic balance issues with its 17 newcomers (though really only 15 in the context of balance because people didn't really play as the PT Pokémon on their own), where Sm4sh (to date) has brought a net gain of 17 characters, and frankly the balance is a lot better than Brawl's. I don't think any one "best" character the game has had is as bad as Brawl's best, haha.

All's I'm saying is, even with porting, we're going to see a lot more tweaks and changes for a character in a standard Smash sequel than we would see in a Smash 4.5.

I rather play Earthbound instead of and Earthbound like game.

The similarities to EarthBound are only evident in early player observations and the visual style. Honestly, it's only as similar to EarthBound as it is to Touhou and Shin Megami Tensei. The important distinction for me, as to this topic, is that Undertale can't remotely be played as a substitution for EarthBound, and vice versa. Undertale has a unique identity all its own. The humour isn't even that similar. Also, calling it MemeBound is unfair :v It doesn't rely on memes much at all. It has them here and there, but the focus - both in terms of its humour and story - is on original ideas. The closest it comes to that is a character who feels like a Tumblr user, but it feels like a very accurate depiction. The game is really unreferential in general! Which is kind of funny because it can be argued that EB is pretty memey, with multiple musical references.

Advisory, I love Underale

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I found my old list for Direct in old smash thread so I decided to update the list with 2014 and 2015. I hope that some people might find it useful somehow.

Nintendo Direct 2011
Bimonthly Direct - Oct 21, 2011 (Friday)
Bimonthly Direct 2 - Dec 27, 2011 (Tuesday)

Nintendo Direct 2012
Bimonthly Direct - Feb 22, 2012 (Wednesday)
Bimonthly Direct 2 - April 21, 2012 (Saturday)
Pre-E3 Direct - June 3, 2012 (Sunday)
Bimonthly Direct 3 - June 21, 2012 (Thursday)
Bimonthly Direct 4 - Aug 29, 2012 (Wednesday)
Wii U Direct Preview - Sept 13, 2012 (Thursday)
Bimonthly Direct 5 - Oct 25, 2012 (Thursday)
Wii U Direct - Nov 7, 2012 (Wednesday)
Bimonthly Direct 6 - Dec 5, 2012 (Wendesday)

Nintendo Direct 2013
Pokemon Direct - Jan 8, 2013 (Tuesday)
Wii U Direct - Jan 23, 2013 (Wednesday)
Bimonthly Direct - Feb 14, 2013 (Thursday)
Bimonthly Direct 2 - April 17, 2013 (Wednesday)
Sega/Nintendo Direct - May 17, 2013 (Friday)
Bimonthly and E3 Direct - June 11, 2013 (Tuesday)
Developer Direct E3 - June 11, 2013 (Tuesday)
Pikmin 3 Direct - June 26, 2013 (Wednesday)
Bimonthly Direct 4 - Aug 7, 2013 (Wednesday)
The Wonderful 101 Direct - Aug 9, 2013 (Friday)
Pokemon Direct - Sept 4, 2013 (Wednesday)
Wii Fit U Direct - Sept 18, 2013 (Wednesday)
Bimonthly 5 - Oct 1, 2013 (Tuesday)
Bimonthly 6 - Dec 18, 2013 (Wednesday)

Nintendo Direct 2014
Bimonthly 1 - Feb 13, 2014 (Thursday) / JP: Feb 14, 2014 (Friday)
Smash Direct - April 8, 2014 (Tuesday)/ JP: April 9, 2014 (Wednesday)
Tomodachi Life Direct - April 10, 2014 (Thursday)
Mario Kart 8 Direct - April 30, 2014 (Wednesday)
Nintendo Digital Event - June 10, 2014 (Tuesday)
Nintendo 3DS Direct - July 11, 2014 (Friday)
Hyrule Warrior Direct - August 4, 2014 (Monday) / JP: August 5, 2014 (Tuesday)
Bayonetta 2 Direct - September 4, 2014 (Thursday)/ JP: September 5, 2014 (Friday)
Monster Hunter 4G - October 8, 2014 (Wednesday)
Super Smash Bros. Wii U Direct - October 23, 2014 (Thursday)/ JP: October 24, 2014 (Friday)
Nintendo Direct - November 5, 2014 (Wednesday)/ JP: November 6, 2014 (Thursday)

Nintendo Direct 2015
Nintendo Direct - January 14, 2015 (Wednesday)
Xenoblade X Direct - February 6, 2015 (Friday)
Nintendo Direct - April 1, 2015 (Wednesday)/ JP: April 2, 2015 (Thursday)
Xenoblade X Direct - April 24, 2015 (Friday)
Splatoon Direct - May 7, 2015 (Thursday)
Nintendo Direct - May 31, 2015 (Sunday)
Nintendo Direct Micro - June 1, 2015 (Monday)
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - June 14, 2015 (Sunday)
Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 2015 - June 16, 2015 (Tuesday)

Platy

R.O.B definitely had an impact in Nintendo's history. He basically helped save the gaming industry in America as we know it. Ice Climbers were chosen in particular to represent classic NES action games that Nintendo's home console business had its roots in. As for EB, it's notable in that it had the weight of Miyamoto, Itoi and Iwata behind it. When you have so many famous people in the japanese industry behind a product, I think that makes it noteworthy.

I don't think making Hanafuda cards or Tetris blocks into actual playable characters is the same as WFT and Villager. WFT had a bunch of yoga poses to use as moves and Villager already had a bunch of tools that would of worked in Smash. I don't think something like a Tetris block has anything going for it that'd make it work as a playable character.

Captain Falcon had "is a driver" going for it as a playable character.

ROB had just a disc and it didn't trow any. No laser, no jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom