• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brawl's big roster provided some problematic balance issues with its 17 newcomers

Brawl's biggest issue was the black hole of development resources known as the Subspace Emissary. That hurt balance severely, as it just absorbed dev resources, despite a huge portion of it having to be cut or reworked because of Sonic.

Brawl without the Subspace would have been an entire different, and probably better, game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm listening to the Nintendo Week podcast from, uh, this week, and they also mentioned having heard about a Direct happening this Friday. It's around the 22 minute mark.

I'm just going to have to bring this up because it always bothers me when people say this about Captain Falcon--he's a damn bounty hunter. Him fighting is not exactly some crazy notion.
Yup, the original F-Zero even came with a lil comic booklet that was about Captain Falcon chasing down a bounty before a race :3

page-4.jpg

*Due to some recent events, I feel that Ashley now has a small chance as DLC or Smash 5.

*Seriously, that 3DS theme just feels so random. But I'm probably just looking too much into it.

*Also Chibi Robo since the franchise keeps getting brought back, even if the new one bombs.

*Direct on Friday? I hope so, i need a Direct, and I need a newcomer. I hope the fans of Five Nights at Freddie's all voted and Freddie wins the ballot for maximum salt. Salt about a indie character? Try a indie character with nothing related to Nintendo!

*In all seriousness do hope they post the ballot results even if they make it clear that the results don't mean they get in. I really would like to know the position of some characters like Shovel Knight. If they post all results it would be neat to see if anyone else voted for a The Witch's House rep like I did.

*I wish we had an Art Style Stage.

*You know thinking that Ib placed 6th in the "most wanted anime" list I wonder if her fans are big enough to have her highly placed. As a huge fan of RPG Maker Horror Games this would be great. There is actually fan made movesets and trailer and victory themes for The Witch's House, Ib, Yume Nikki, Mad Father, and Misao. They are hardcore.

I wish Smash on Game Boy would come out on Virtual Console already. Been waiting forever.

*Damn I want a indie/niche Japan fighting in Smash style. Smash is literally the only game in teh Smash genre of "attack to have percents go up and knock opponets off stage." we need more. Seems like its money on the table, I'm surpised noone had done it yet. Since they already kinda ot action and online going in their games Tamsoft seems like they could do a smaller one.

*I really hope the Inklings are coming this year as rumored, would be grand. My most wanted realistic newcomer for sure.

*Stella from Xenophobia would be cool too.

*Yu from Persona is my out there but possible most want.

*I wish Battlefield was on for glory. I only play FG tho so playing a stage with platforms would be a whole different game at this rate. Probably for the best... Or wish there was one on one for fun due to lag.

*I'm going to watch some music now.

*Oh ya know what? I think the next retro rep will be a playable Virtual Boy that attacks with its controllers. Seems like the next logical step.

*Has anyone done the hacking eShop for Smash DLC? If its done, it may a,ready be on the eShop.

Damnit I need nosespray.

Brb.

Ok back.

So anywayz: I go bye.

*...this post went random.

I hope Dynablade gets in. And Ridley too. #NotTooBig

*I also hope DKJr gets in for Gonzo's salt.

Man, I feel like typing for some reason but I have nothing to type, so I'm making stuff up and typing about typing.

*I hope there is a Direct on Friday! I needs it.

*Means not sarcastic.

#Boredandnowouttamysystem

I'm just going to have to bring this up because it always bothers me when people say this about Captain Falcon--he's a damn bounty hunter. Him fighting is not exactly some crazy notion.

That, and I think he kinda sorta does a decent job of representing F-Zero's gameplay, when you think about it. Sakurai designed him to be basically be a personification of an F-Zero vehicle: fast, powerful, and with sharp turns and fire. Likewise, Fox and the other SF characters are basically arwings with legs. They shoot lasers, boost forward and reflect.

Is Captain Falcon taking on Kingpin?
Haha, I remember wondering that back when I read it too. It was kind of weird because it's got lots of cheesy sci-fi visuals but they play it like a straight noir but jazzed up with super hero comic style 'BAKO!'/'POW!' stuff :p Very weird inclusion but it gave me something to read on the bus home from town where I bought it for my SNES back when I was lil. (Dear heck, how much am I dating myself by admitting that? XD)

It's going to be so dissapointing when we find out the top ballot votes were John Cena, Naruto and Goku :p
Of course, I'm joking... we'll probably never be told the ballot results :/

I think the only playable characters I'd be somewhat hype about that aren't in as AT or costumes already are Mawile, Lip, Marina Lightyears or Inklings. I think only the last one of that list has any realistic chance though :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The similarities to EarthBound are only evident in early player observations and the visual style. Honestly, it's only as similar to EarthBound as it is to Touhou and Shin Megami Tensei. The important distinction for me, as to this topic, is that Undertale can't remotely be played as a substitution for EarthBound, and vice versa. Undertale has a unique identity all its own. The humour isn't even that similar. Also, calling it MemeBound is unfair :v It doesn't rely on memes much at all. It has them here and there, but the focus - both in terms of its humour and story - is on original ideas. The closest it comes to that is a character who feels like a Tumblr user, but it feels like a very accurate depiction. The game is really unreferential in general! Which is kind of funny because it can be argued that EB is pretty memey, with multiple musical references.

Advisory, I love Underale
I was being facetious bruh.

why dynablade

I dunno. Besides Inklings its the first 1st party newcomer* to come to mind. Memorable boss fight, great design.

*On second thought, completely forgot about Pokemon. Sylveon and Emolga, then Dyna Blade for first party newcomer wants.

what if we get Inklings

BUT we also get Octolings

and the Octolings are not alts, but rather a clone

and then the internet explodes
I'd be ok with this.

Prepare for it to all be bundled in with a stage for like $8 tho lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Maybe her sources didn't lie to her about the Friday Direct. Either way, we'll find out tomorrow if they told her the truth.
I'm half expecting a Direct on Monday, but the announcement of it on Friday. I'd imagine they'd wanna do the "Twilight Princess HD is available... now" thing.

Neoxon

Wouldn't this suggest a hypothetical Direct would come next week, if anything? So they're able to smoothly sell whatever new stuff they advertise for the eShop?
She's also saying that the Direct is this Friday, so maybe they plan on releasing the new stuff on Monday.

Wouldn't this suggest a hypothetical Direct would come next week, if anything? So they're able to smoothly sell whatever new stuff they advertise for the eShop?
They don't need maintenance to add stuff to the eShop lol.

If its not routine maintenance, its likely features being added directly to the eShop. Like back in the day the Wii Shop was down for around 24 hours to add a search function. So it could be related to DeNA accounts/etc.

Pokemaniac

Couple things about the maintenance.

First, it isn't just eShop maintenance. That "All" refers to all online services for the platform. Effectively the entire Nintendo Network is listed as going down for maintenance.

Second, the maintenance is at exactly their favorite time to do several hours of maintenance and post a system update at the end. Normally, I wouldn't read too much into it, since this is also the time they do normal eShop maintenance, but the extra "All" combined with the general circumstances has me thinking this might lead to something.

The most WTF part is Wii Shop Channel being part of the maintenance. Why the hell would they need this?

It's something affecting the back-end of all their online systems. Could be something we won't see the effects of until much later on, or could be some imminent core change to account systems that we see right away. No way to know. But it's a big back-end thing for sure, if nothing else.

Platy

Yup, the original F-Zero even came with a lil comic booklet that was about Captain Falcon chasing down a bounty before a race :3

Yeah whatever. Still nothing that makes sense to take out his moveset =P

NotLiquid

Nah. Just with the news of the incredibly all-encompassing maintenance alongside everything else so far it definitely seems like the murmurs of something major are true whether it be Smash or not.

Splatoon Direct = Inkling confirmed
Twilight Princess leak = Midna confirmed
Donkey Kong Jr. = King K. Rool confirmed
Star Fox Zero = Wolf confirmed
Rhythm Heaven The Best eventually coming to English (plz) = Chorus Kids confirmed
Amiibo Festival coming out = Isabelle confirmed

Sounds good ok

NotLiquid

Splatoon Direct = Inkling confirmed
Twilight Princess leak = Midna confirmed
Donkey Kong Jr. = King K. Rool confirmed
Star Fox Zero = Wolf confirmed
Rhythm Heaven The Best eventually coming to English (plz) = Chorus Kids confirmed
Amiibo Festival coming out = Isabelle confirmed

Sounds good ok

Smash Bros. Newcomer

All

Pokemaniac

The most WTF part is Wii Shop Channel being part of the maintenance. Why the hell would they need this?

The Wii Shop Channel and DSi shop go down whenever the eShop does. I assume they share some backend stuff. I suspect it's because all the game files are on NUS regardless of platform.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why do people want Isabelle as a fighter? Does that mean you want to beat her up? How horrible some of you lot are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom