• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

wait, what new account system

People often misinterpret comments about the new "membership service" as being a new account system, rather than the Club Nintendo replacement that it is.

There will likely be upgrades to the account system, but NNID is probably here to stay.

Nia

Took a bit of digging because i kept coming across the mewtwo one instead, but I finally found it :D

oEQfyZK.gif

That was me. I'm happy about that Ashley theme, though I'm not taking it as any indication Ashley will be playable. I've given up on that. That being said I really want that theme to come to the US.

NotLiquid

The Wii Shop runs on the same backend that the other services do afaik so I don't think its getting an update, but its still pretty telling that it'll be going down.

Blues1990

If Simon Belmont was added as a playable fighter, exactly how would he look like? While I like his redesign for Castlevania Chronicles, I can understand fans wanting his look resemble his appearance in Castlevania II/Super Castlevania IV.

Golnei

If Simon Belmont was added as a playable fighter, exactly how would he look like? While I like his redesign for Castlevania Chronicles, I can understand fans wanting his look resemble his appearance in Castlevania II/Super Castlevania IV.

Megaman was focused heavily on his original sprite, but classic Megaman's position as its own franchise does change things a little. In a universe where Konami didn't abandon games entirely, I'd imagine they'd go for a hybrid between the original sprite, Chronicles design and the Castlevania 2/Super Castlevania armour.

Dissidia 012's redesign of the Final Fantasy I fighter/warrior class might be a good template for the fusion of detailed artwork and retro sprite design.
images

Golnei

Knowing Sakurai, he probably would opt to use a version based on the NES games as opposed to the Chronicles design.

Since Pacman used both the original and Pac-Land designs, Sonic appears in his modern incarnation, and Snake uses his MGS2 suit with Big Boss' MGS3 stubble; I think a hybrid design is more likely.

I would actually happily take his most recent design from Mirror of Fate, they wouldn't go with it but it's my favourite.

In actuality I agree with Golnei that you'd get some sort of hhybrid design that harks back to his NES days with the flashier red hair and such of Chronicles.

With the massive maintenance coming, there's just way too much coincidental stuff going on for it to not be a massive media blowout coming soon.

Anyway, if a Direct is coming, it (apparently) has the best chance of being announced within the hour.

Crayolan

With the massive maintenance coming, there's just way too much coincidental stuff going on for it to not be a massive media blowout coming soon.

Anyway, if a Direct is coming, it (apparently) has the best chance of being announced within the hour.

What's within the hour? I thought Nintendo usually announces direct news in the morning (Japan time). It's night in Japan right now.

Why do people want Isabelle as a fighter? Does that mean you want to beat her up? How horrible some of you lot are!
No, but I'd happily play as her :3

oEQfyZK.gif

That was me. I'm happy about that Ashley theme, though I'm not taking it as any indication Ashley will be playable. I've given up on that. That being said I really want that theme to come to the US.
Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw the theme was...
I still haven't given up hope for Ashley completely but I'm not expecting her.

You know, if they announced Brawl as a download Wii U title, I'd probably buy it. Maybe rig in GCN compatibility some how.

It would be nice to brush up on Wolf a bit, and play as Snake and Ice Climbers.

I gave my disc (and my Melee disc) and Wii to my brother so he could play Project M and Melee, so Smash 4 is literally the only Smash I have, and I sometimes want to go back and play Brawl (I have Dolphin to play Melee, although the controls are kind of bad with a 360 controller).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just wanna share

The recent pokemon episode just made me laugh at the idea of Narutoad nickname for Greninja in Smash because it's so hilariously accurate.

nGWXHDl.jpg

Zubz

Banned
Seeing how we started discussing the EBA, Ashley, John Cena, and Ib, I'm going to assume everyone here's as thirsty as I am for a Direct.

And seeing how we're not dead, they still haven't announced one. There's clearly enough coming to warrant one, so it's a little nerve-wracking, since I'm not sure if we're getting one by Monday (When everything's down for maintenance.

Pokemaniac

They're updating the Wii Shop Channel too? Do they usually do that? If not then I'm hype.

Yes, they usually do that. I'm pretty sure they share some backend.

What doesn't usually happen is all other Wii U and 3DS online services going down as well. That is why this maintenance is significant.

I think a lot of people, like King K. Rool and Ridley supporters, in part are bothered because Sakurai just doesn't want to add villains as much!

Wolf
Captain Syrup
King Hippo
Wart
Kamek
Dry Bowser (as a costume)
Mr. L (as a costume)
King K. Rool
Ridley
Dark Samus
Fawful
Count Bleck
Waluigi
Porky
Masked Man
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Cloaked Nightmare
Cackletta
Yuga
Dr. Wily
Dr. Eggman
Heihachi
Dark Monita
Boshi (as a costume)
Darkrai (not a villain perse but fills a villain role often)
Ganon
Ashnard (or something)
Samurai Goroh
Medusa
Hades

There are just so many villains, and all we've got for even kind-of-villains are (and for some I'm being real generous)

Bowser
Meta Knight (despite his recurring role as a protagonist, he served as a villain enough times to be on this list)
Bowser Jr.
Koopalings
Donkey Kong (again, generous)
Wario
Ganondorf
Mewtwo (famously seen as a villain by many people, and at best a dangerous opponent)
King Dedede
Dark Pit (villain enough)

We need more than this :[

Mewtwo is considered a villain in Smash.

Also, Dry Bowser would work as a decent Bowser clone, rather than an alt costume. Give him Bowser's fire ball custom (with blue flames) and make him crumble when using his down or side specials, and make him lighter, but slightly more agile, and it could be pretty fun. He'd probably be better than Bowser lol.

Mewtwo is considered a villain in Smash.

Also, Dry Bowser would work as a decent Bowser clone, rather than an alt costume. Give him Bowser's fire ball custom (with blue flames) and make him crumble when using his down or side specials, and make him lighter, but slightly more agile, and it could be pretty fun. He'd probably be better than Bowser lol.

I'd actually be down with that. He'd totally need an arcing bone attack though!

I think a lot of people, like King K. Rool and Ridley supporters, in part are bothered because Sakurai just doesn't want to add villains as much!

~list~

There are just so many villains, and all we've got for even kind-of-villains are (and for some I'm being real generous)

~another list~

We need more than this :[
Sorry but I really don't comprehend the idea of 'needing' more villains. I've asked some folk who were saying this before and while there was some interesting reasons I don't think they really translated into making 'villains' a valid category we 'need' more of.

For example, if you want to play a villain character because they're otherwise not playable (because you almost always play the hero/heroine) that's fine but that's more a factor of the character than their villain status as there's lots of other characters in the games you'd probably be unlikely to ever play by virtue of not being the protagonist.

Some mentioned that they wanted to play villains because they felt they were up there with the protagonist with being an important rep of the series they're from. Again, no complaint with that either but I don't think that's a uniquely 'villain' thing as there are often background characters who can say the same (zelda, palutena, etc) and again your desire to play them isn't really villain-based but again an assessment of the individual character.

You see people saying we need more women in games and that makes sense because some of us game playing folk are actually women so it's nice to see something relatable. How many of us were born villains though? :p

Is the villain thing an aesthetic / lifestyle thing? I mean, I love cute stuff and 'girly' stuff but I never explicitly argue we need more of them, rather focussing on championing individual things I like because saying we 'need' more of a fairly vague and sometimes just outright subjective category doesn't feel all that useful to me :eek:

Feel free to expand on what you mean by us needing more villains though, as I'm always curious :3

Platy

Yeah, a person who actually uses martial arts and weaponry in official material sure makes literally no sense as a fighter.

Wait, what?

AND WEAPONRY

w3E99MU.jpg

And no sign of a gun in Captain Falcon arsenal .... or no sign of a flaming falcon on the comic.

It is like Sakurai took his moveset out of NOWHERE

on a related note, he killed K Roll

Villains bring about a different edge than protagonists do. I think a lot of people found it pretty cool to be able to play as Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Bowser in Melee, because they're just such different characters. Mewtwo and Ganondorf have their wicked laughs, and Bowser has his deep roars. So on one hand, it's that they offer personality types and character types that we don't really see in protagonists. On the other hand, they offer somewhat different moveset styles as well. Before Bowser, the only real character like him was DK, but even DK was a speedy character. Ganondorf and Wolf were more powerful versions of characters who they are based on (the later only mildly), etc. Villains often have hard-hitting attacks, or use dark/evil magic, or sneaky attacks. For instance, you know who would have been better than a lot of the Fire Emblem cast in this game? Many of its villains.

I'd actually be down with that. He'd totally need an arcing bone attack though!

I'm just generally a fan of clones, and they've never really taken a super heavy weight and made a light weight clone out of it. Lighter clones are usually reserved for medium weights for some reason, other than maybe Link, but he's barely a heavy weight, being a lot closer in weight to medium weight characters than characters like DK, Bowser and Samus.

Dry Bowser

- Medium weight, trending on the light side
- With less weight, Dry Bowser falls slower, runs faster and has slightly less end lag on his moves (other than down special)
- His down special, Dry Bomber, causes him to crumple, spreading damage out further than Bowser. Has full super armor while crumbled, but more ending lag than Bowser (which is already a lot). The move is also weaker, but causes Dry Bowser to fall much faster than Bowser does. Dry Bowser does not go in the air as high when used on the ground.
- Up special: Bone Fortress. Has way more vertical movement in the air, but does significantly less damage and pushes enemies away. Cannot move at all horizontally when used on the ground. Minor particle update has some bones fly out when he uses it.
- Neutral: Fire Ball. Shoots a blue fire ball from his mouth at a decent rate. Cannot be aimed. Has no "cool down" like Bowser's breath. Cloned 100% from Bowser's custom special, other than visuals.
- Side special: Bone Toss. Chucks a bone forward at a set distance and with a set arc. Travels similar to Yoshi's egg, but a bit further and can't be aimed.
- Normal attacks are all identical, other than Forward Smash, which goes back to Brawl's headbutt, as Dry Bowser is too fragile to body slam people. Stats are slightly tweaked so the moves are weaker with less knockback, but faster overall. Down air can be aimed a bit easier, as well, but falls slower.
- Final Smash: Giant Dry Bowser. Not Giga Bowser! Well, not technically at least. Clone of Giga Bowser, except Dry Bowser visually just looks like a really big Dry Bowser with glowing eyes and his back is always burning red, not glowing, similar to how he looked at the end of NSMB2. Attacks as a full clone of Giga Bowser, with 100% the same moves and damage.

Taunts:
- Up: Grabs his head and bounces it around his arms a bit, and then puts it back, adjusting it slightly.
- Side: Grabs a Dry Bones skull, looks at it. It's eyes suddenly light up, and it giggles, Dry Bowser jumps a bit, and drops the skull, where it disappears.
- Down: Dry Bowser lifts his arms up in a "scary" way and yells "BOO" and then laughs.

Victory Animations
- Some Dry Bones come running across the screen, panicking. Dry Bowser comes spinning in his shell and bowls them over (their bones fly everywhere), then comes out and laughs.
- Dry Bowser is cackling like a mad man, while two Dry Bones awkwardly stand next to him and look at each other. They let out a nervous chuckle and then back away.
- Dry Bowser has his arms up, confident. A Boo creeps up and attacks to startled Dry Bowser, only to have Dry Bowser roar loudly, causing the Boo to flee.

Idle animations:
- Spins his head in place a few times.
- Let's out a quiet "boo" while raising his arms slightly.
- Pulls his arm off and scratches his shell with it, then puts it back.

Same. If I had my way, Smash 5 would have like, 20 clones and semi-clones lol.

Dry Bowser, Mr. L, Daisy, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Pichu, Dark Link, Black Shadow, Tetra, Galacta Knight, Dark Samus, Lyn, Medusa, Paula, Blood Falcon, Brittany, Metal Sonic, Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.

I'd be pretty pleased, haha.

NeonZ

You see people saying we need more women in games and that makes sense because some of us game playing folk are actually women so it's nice to see something relatable. How many of us were born villains though? :p

Is the villain thing an aesthetic / lifestyle thing? I mean, I love cute stuff and 'girly' stuff but I never explicitly argue we need more of them, rather focussing on championing individual things I like because saying we 'need' more of a fairly vague and sometimes just outright subjective category doesn't feel all that useful to me :eek:

I think the idea is that to many people the most important character after the main hero would be the villain or rival that opposes that character, or the villain might be even more important in some cases. So, villains should have priority over supporting cast.

That doesn't seem to be a common view in Japan though. For example, many merchandising lines feature very little material related to villains, with the ones that give some focus to them, like Gundam, being a big exception. I guess that would also explain some of Sakurai's choices, like how Zelda (and Sheik) made it to Melee as an unique character while Ganondorf only was a last minute extra.

Oh, that too - this is a game about slamming toys together, you gotta have villains to slam into the heroes!

But yeah, women are more important additions than villains. But hey, Captain Syrup and Medusa are both, so :v

One of the coolest pieces of Mario merchandise I have is a Petey Piranha plushie. I think it's just the novelty of having such a mundane random villain as a stuffed toy that appeals to me.

Although in Brawl, Petey was portrayed as being on a similar level as Rayquaza and Ridley, so maybe he isn't as mundane and random as I think.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess I am one of the few people that doesn't give a shit about the character "representing" something as long as the character is interesting and plays good. Yeah sure all of us aren't villains, but at the same time I'm a male but I'm not a plumber who can inadvertently shoot fireballs from my palms.

Azure J

Same. If I had my way, Smash 5 would have like, 20 clones and semi-clones lol.

Dry Bowser, Mr. L, Daisy, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Pichu, Dark Link, Black Shadow, Tetra, Galacta Knight, Dark Samus, Lyn, Medusa, Paula, Blood Falcon, Brittany, Metal Sonic, Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.

I'd be pretty pleased, haha.

Curious who you'd base Lyn off of.

Please don't say Marth, she deserves better.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I guess I am one of the few people that doesn't give a shit about the character "representing" something as long as the character is interesting and plays good. Yeah sure all of us aren't villains, but at the same time I'm a male but I'm not a plumber who can inadvertently shoot fireballs from my palms.

Right. At long they have unique and interesting movesets then I would be fine with anyone.

That's why I still believe that Wonder Red's last chance is within Smash 5, not Smash 4 DLC.

Hopefully they have time at the end and can mess around with some clones. Pichu, Dry Bowser, Blood Falcon. I think those three would work well. Maybe even Slippy or a bizarre Panther clone of Wolf.

My only thought is the Wii U CSS. The 3DS is whatever, they can add pages until the cows come home, but the Wii U CSS basically has a hard cap before they cannot shrink the icons further and cannot add more.

But even then, I think there's like, 6-8 slots left before that becomes an issue, so I think it'd be fine.

NeonZ

I think if they were going to add clones, they'd release character bundles together. Their individual release makes me really doubt they'll release any new clones as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom