• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

And Takamaru? :C

Pay no attention to Nofunexon and go with your heart man. I'm beyond logic and "who should/shouldn't be in". At the very least, this is a chance to make some noise (marketing info) for characters who wouldn't get noise pointed to the right places otherwise.

Wonder Red, with the other Wonderful 101 members as alt skins ala Bowser Jr, since they could just use the Unite forms themselves. (So Red would be holding Unite Sword or Whip).

Neoxon

Pay no attention to Nofunexon and go with your heart man. I'm beyond logic and "who should/shouldn't be in". At the very least, this is a chance to make some noise (marketing info) for characters who wouldn't get noise pointed to the right places otherwise.
Well I'm sorry that I'm informing people that certain characters are locked down as Assist Trophies, bosses, Final Smash cameos, & others like those 3. You don't see me wasting my votes on Chrom or Midna for that reason.

Well I'm sorry that I'm informing people that certain characters are locked down as Assist Trophies, bosses, Final Smash cameos, & others like those 3. You don't see me wasting my votes for Chrom or Midna for that reason.

I'm with you, Neo.

People shouldn't be voting for whoever they want to see. They should be voting for their ideal eligible character. If you are voting for somebody like Skull Kid you are wasting your vote. It's nothing personal against you or your dream character, it's just completely unrealistic. People need to consider who is an eligible fighter that they would like to see. Not characters that would be cool in their wildest dreams. Unless they don't want that vote to matter.

It's just a stupid poll guys, seriously. I voted for Excitebiker. Excitebiker. Come on.

Who gives a shit if someone is "wasting" their vote?

Neoxon

I'm with you, Neo.

People shouldn't be voting for whoever they want to see. They should be voting for their ideal eligible character. If you are voting for somebody like Skull Kid you are wasting your vote. It's nothing personal against you or your dream character, it's just completely unrealistic. People need to consider who is an eligible fighter that they would like to see. Not characters that would be cool in their wildest dreams. Unless they don't want that vote to matter.
Exactly. What we have here is a golden opportunity that shouldn't be wasted on pipe dreams that don't even have a remote chance of happening due to the character being active elsewhere in the game.

Nanashrew

Banned
You can vote more than once. I voted for Wonder Red but I'm also going to vote for Takamaru. I don't think there are any restrictions.

It's just a stupid poll guys, seriously. I voted for Excitebiker. Excitebiker. Come on.

Still eligible. Power to you.

And I know this sounds super dramatic, but a lot of people do take stuff like this seriously. It's important to people, you know? This is why Smash hype gets so insane, people are waiting to see if the things they wanted made it into the new game.

This is a minor thing, but for once it is letting western fans feel connected to the actual production of a series that is very important to them.

Crownjo

You can vote more than once. I voted for Wonder Red but I'm also going to vote for Takamaru. I don't think there are any restrictions.

If that's the case I made one requesting stage dlc packs. It's stupid but I am gonna take one for the team.

Village

Well I'm sorry that I'm informing people that certain characters are locked down as Assist Trophies, bosses, Final Smash cameos, & others like those 3. You don't see me wasting my votes on Chrom or Midna for that reason.

I'm with you, Neo.

Who even are you, to be saying anything?

Mind your business cast you vote.

Even if they don't make it as DLC, Sakurai could still see that these characters could be wanted for the next version of Smash. After all, he did say only a few (I'm guessing 2-3 at most) would be chosen from here. The rest can be saved for a future Smash.

RagnarokX

I'm with you, Neo.

Just like how Toon Link being on the Spirit Tracks stage meant Toon Link as a fighter was unrealistic and Ness appearing in Magicant. Fox and Falco appear in Star Fox stages, most noteably in Orbital Assault they claim to be in the arwings.

They totally couldn't code it so that certain ATs don't appear when certain characters are fighting or remove an AT altogether in favor of making them playable.

People should vote how they want and let the developers decide if their worthwhile.

I accept Waluigi because he has an actual personality and a meta built into his appearances. Waluigi believes everybody is cheating but him and life isn't fair (that's Martinet's interpretation of the character) and his move set and play style would be a great spin the "joke character" because Waluigi would presumably do whatever it took to try to win. I imagine Loony Tunes tactics of tripping people or hurling Bob-ombs he snuck in himself.

He would read as the character who didn't belong. The "who invited this guy?" character who forged his invitation. Waluigi has depth, personality, and character. While everyone else is there on their merits by invitation, Waluigi would be there because he felt like he was the only one not invited and showed up anyway.

Well put. I really fucking want him in this game.

NateDrake

I was going to vote for Bayonetta. Her moves would fit in well and her climax would serve fine as a super smash attack. May not do it since she won't get a lot of votes.

Neoxon

Just like how Toon Link being on the Spirit Tracks stage meant Toon Link as a fighter was unrealistic and Ness and Lucas appearing in Magicant.

They totally couldn't code it so that certain ATs don't appear when certain characters are fighting or remove an AT altogether in favor of making them playable.

People should vote how they want and let the developers decide if their worthwhile.
To be fair, Spirit Tracks Link & Toon/Wind Waker Link are two totally different incarnations of Link.

Just like how Toon Link being on the Spirit Tracks stage meant Toon Link as a fighter was unrealistic and Ness and Lucas appearing in Magicant.

You have me there.

I don't think you should really view this as a vote instead of just showing general enthusiasm for a character that Sakurai can be like "Oh, people really like this one? I wonder if I can fit them in. Hm, maybe."

I accept Waluigi because he has an actual personality and a meta built into his appearances. Waluigi believes everybody is cheating but him and life isn't fair (that's Martinet's interpretation of the character) and his move set and play style would be a great spin the "joke character" because Waluigi would presumably do whatever it took to try to win. I imagine Loony Tunes tactics of tripping people or hurling Bob-ombs he snuck in himself.

He would read as the character who didn't belong. The "who invited this guy?" character who forged his invitation. Waluigi has depth, personality, and character. While everyone else is there on their merits by invitation, Waluigi would be there because he felt like he was the only one not invited and showed up anyway.

Well said. Finally someone else who understands. There's always next time for him though. No way he's getting into Smash 4 now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Still eligible. Power to you.

And I know this sounds super dramatic, but a lot of people do take stuff like this seriously. It's important to people, you know? This is why Smash hype gets so insane, people are waiting to see if the things they wanted made it into the new game.

This is a minor thing, but for once it is letting western fans feel connected to the actual production of a series that is very important to them.

Eh, I think the cast is already decided so the ballot is probably for next gen smash, but again it could be genuine ballot for last dlc character or two.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think you should really view this as a vote instead of just showing general enthusiasm for a character that Sakurai can be like "Oh, people really like this one? I wonder if I can fit them in. Hm, maybe."

That's how I see it. I'm going to add Daisy, Andy, Isaac and Waluigi next.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It's going to take more than that to convince me a B-tier Mario character should be a Smash Bros fighter.

Let alone ANOTHER Mario character at all. Just kill me please. We already have one hundred and ten Mario characters in the roster.

So much contradictions in your comments. ;P

Neoxon

Eh, I think the cast is already decided so the ballot is probably for next gen smash, but again it could be genuine ballot for last dlc character or two.
The ballot was mainly advertised as potential Smash 4 DLC. Some could spill over to the next game, but this is mainly for Smash 4.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Shit, just realized I should've gone with Tin Star. Damn it, this was his chance!

But I don't even know if Nintendo owns him still...hmm. If anyone can't make up their mind as to who to vote for, do him!

Moonlight

Banned
I made my vote not on the principle that it's ever going to 'win' (seriously, Anna never will. orz), but on the idea that it's the best possible way to communicate a desire to someone important in decision-making and the off-chance they actually read it for themselves. 'Wasting' votes is silly. If there's a character you feel is so popular that not voting for it is going to be 'wasting', chances are it's still got good odds of being noticed.

Neoxon

Basically for the sake of logic, I've forsaken...

- Chrom
- Midna
- Snake
- Bayonetta
- Phoenix Wright
- Viewtiful Joe
- Ice Climbers
- Amaterasu
- Isabelle
- Dillon
- Takamaru
- Ashley
- Zero
- Dr. Eggman
- Dr. Wily
- Dunban
- Protoman

...as far as my votes go & focused on those with a somewhat realistic chance based on what we know of the game's development (Chorus Kids) & patterns based on votes by fellow GAFers that are both somewhat realistic & align with my personal taste (Wonder Red).

L Thammy

I tried compiling and categorizing the mentions so far, just for indecisive people like me. I only did the first 9 pages, I'll start on the rest tomorrow:

Featured Franchise (New character from a franchise with playable characters already in Smash.)
Daisy (Super Mario Bros)
Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)
Ridley (Metroid)
Ashley (WarioWare)
Mona (WarioWare)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Impa (Legend of Zelda)
K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Metal Face (Xenoblade)
Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros)
Tetra (Legend of Zelda)
Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Sceptile (Pokemon)
Torterra (Pokemon)
Dixie (Donkey Kong Country)
Wart (Super Mario Bros)
Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Kamek (Yoshi's Island)
Super Space Pirate (Metroid)
Elma (Xenoblade)
Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Duster (Mother 3)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Hades (Kid Icarus)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Master Core (Super Smash Bros)
Kumatora (Mother 3)
Jimmy (WarioWare)
Mouser (Super Mario Bros)
King Hippo (Punch-Out)
Doc Louis (Punch-Out)
Vaati (Legend of Zelda)
Melotta (Pokemon)

Returning Character (Playable characters from a previous Smash game that aren't in SSB4)
Wolf (Star Fox)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)

Assist Trophy (Characters who have already been in SSBB or SSB4 in as assist trophies.)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Midna (Legend of Zelda)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Dark Samus (Metroid)
Ray (Custom Robo)

Current Franchise (Multiple games, new entry as recently as 2010)
Felix (Golden Sun)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
Vivian (Paper Mario)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Mia (Golden Sun)

Current Game (Single game, new entry as recently as 2010)
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)

Dormant Franchise (Multiple games, no new entries as recently than 2010)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
Elite Beat Agents (Elite Beat Agents)
Lolo & Lala (Eggerland)
Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment)

Dormant Game (Single game, released prior to 2010)
Tamagon (Devil World)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Mallo (Super Mario RPG)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Star Man (Pro Wrestling)
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling)

Third Party Franchise (All third-party characters, whether or not they fit in the above categories.)
Snake (Metal Gear)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Rayman (Rayman)
Yellow Devil (Mega Man)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Tiz Arrior (Bravely Default)
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Protoman (Megaman)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
I don't know its name (Blaster Master)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Mega Man X (Mega Man X)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Goemon (Ganbare Goemon)
4 Fiends (Final Fantasy)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Mail (Popful Mail)
Quote (Cave Story)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Donkey Kong Jr (Donkey Kong)
Neku (The World Ends With You)
Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei)
Master Chief (Halo)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Fou Lu (Breath of Fire)
Haruka Amami (iD@LMASTER)
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Chase McCain (LEGO City)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

Non-video game Nintendo stuff
Hanafuda deck
Captain N

lol
Shrek
John Cena
Bill O'Reilly
Vegeta
Goku
Naruto
Cory Baxter
Batman
Sonichu
Gohan
Dark Magician
Charlie Brown

RagnarokX

To be fair, Spirit Tracks Link & Toon/Wind Waker Link are two totally different incarnations of Link.

Yes, but they look identical to the point that it was apparently deemed confusing for the player for both to be on screen at the same time. Having two identical characters in the game isn't an argument against the viability of that character, as when playable you can have up to 8 of the same character on screen at the same time and they made special accommodations for other cases like the Spirit Tracks example.

Indeed. When Capcom did this for UMvC3, the #1 voted character didn't even get in.

I suggested Dark Samus. I know she has little chance but Metroid Prime is one of the most critically acclaimed videogame series. Dark Samus was the main antagonist of the trilogy and she/it is also Metroid Prime. She could play wildly different from Samus. She could float and use her scattershot beam, her boost ball attack and her dark echoes clone as some of her attacks. Her Final Smash she could transform into Metroid Prime.

Neoxon

Yes, but they look identical to the point that it was apparently deemed confusing for the player for both to be on screen at the same time. Having two identical characters in the game isn't an argument against the viability of that character, as when playable you can have up to 8 of the same character on screen at the same time and they made special accommodations for other cases like the Spirit Tracks example.
My point is that the two Links are different people canonically, they just remove Spirit Tracks Link from his stage when Toon Link is present to avoid any potential first-glance confusion.

Merc_

Folks were shitting on Shadow before, but I think you could make a pretty cool move set for him that would play completely differently from Sonic. I'd actually like to see what Sakurai would do with him. Even if I don't like the character personally.

I don't think he has a chance though. I doubt any character from a 3rd party franchise that already has a representative does.

Neoxon

Um... yes... that is what I said...
I knew I forgot something. I edited another part in but my phone didn't process it.

Takamaru would effectively be the same person as his Assist Trophy, which differs from the Toon Link situation. Plus, unlike Spirit Tracks Link, Takamaru is in both versions of the game (correct me if I'm wrong).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My point is that the two Links are different people canonically, they just remove Spirit Tracks Link from his stage when Toon Link is present to avoid any potential first-glance confusion.

You just proved his point. They could block those characters from being summoned if they decided to add assist trophies as playable characters. I believe that's what his point is.

J@hranimo

Banned
Managed to vote a second time. This time I also voted for King K. Rool.

I see you K. Rool fans.

P4e8wxN.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Folks were shitting on Shadow before, but I think you could make a pretty cool move set for him that would play completely differently from Sonic. I'd actually like to see what Sakurai would do with him. Even if I don't like the character personally.

I don't think he has a chance though. I doubt any character from a 3rd party franchise that already has a representative does.

Shadow was pretty cool in Sonic Battle.

latest

Shadow_attack_by_mikki4623-d3ihdpp.gif

ShadowAttackSmallAni2.gif

Jrs3000

I wonder what they will do if everyone votes ridley. I want to see viewtiful joe in here since capcom lent them megaman. If not him then Wonder red or black.

What is this, a political campaign?

Vote for who you want people.

Vote for Snake

I voted for Snake. I am tempted to vote again, but I believe the terms have been explained that there is only one vote per person, even though people are obviously able to submit as many votes as they want.

Which makes me concerned that only one of your votes actually counts. And, if so, is it your first or your last? Are repeat votes discarded or do later votes override each other?

I am only voting once so I know who I voted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom