• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like how Toon Link being on the Spirit Tracks stage meant Toon Link as a fighter was unrealistic and Ness and Lucas appearing in Magicant. Fox and Falco appear in Star Fox stages, most noteably in Orbital Assault they claim to be in the arwings.

They totally couldn't code it so that certain ATs don't appear when certain characters are fighting or remove an AT altogether in favor of making them playable.

People should vote how they want and let the developers decide if their worthwhile.

Lucas doesn't appear in Magicant.

I agree the disabled AT idea is certainly possible, but they aren't going to remove any one of them for such a purpose.

Exactly. What we have here is a golden opportunity that shouldn't be wasted on pipe dreams that don't even have a remote chance of happening due to the character being active elsewhere in the game.

I agree with your general logic - I didn't vote for X for the exact same reason, obviously I would have if I thought he was realistically eligible - but I don't think you should keep pushing for people to vote how you would vote. I know you mean well and I do see where you're coming from, but people generally don't respond well to that kind of attitude. Let other people interpret the vote and respond how they will and just make sure you vote for whoever you want according to your own (sound) logic. :) It's no skin off your back how or why people vote, unless every single one of those votes was going to go to your character of choice.

Indeed. When Capcom did this for UMvC3, the #1 voted character didn't even get in.

God, don't remind me. I was so fucking salty over that. I was so sure Capcom was going to use that poll to directly determine who would be added to the roster (within reason), and when X won by a landslide, I was so happy because I figured he was a lock. I mean, he won by a landslide and he's one of the most popular versions of Capcom's mascot, who incredibly didn't make it into MvC 3 in the first place. Surely they couldn't not add X given all that?

...Yeah, we all know how that turned out. Denied simply because Niitsuma isn't a Mega Man fan and didn't want to research the 70+ moves X has to build a fighting game moveset from. Man, thinking about it too much still gets me riled up.

Mega Man getting into Smash healed that wound, but the scar will remain until I see X included a fighting game. :(

Durden77

I voted for Snake. I am tempted to vote again, but I believe the terms have been explained that there is only one vote per person, even though people are obviously able to submit as many votes as they want.

Which makes me concerned that only one of your votes actually counts. And, if so, is it your first or your last? Are repeat votes discarded or do later votes override each other?

I am only voting once so I know who I voted for.

I imagine it's probably linked to IP addresses. At least I hope so. I hope they're not just going by the honor system, but it does say "Please limit your vote to one per person" not "Votes are limited to one per person". Either way I'm only voting once too.

Even though if I voted again it would just be for Snake again anyway so I wouldn't run into that problem, hehe.

RagnarokX

I knew I forgot something. I edited another part in but my phone didn't process it.

Takamaru would effectively be the same person as his Assist Trophy, which differs from the Toon Link situation. Plus, unlike Spirit Tracks Link, Takamaru is in both versions of the game (correct me if I'm wrong).

It doesn't matter. They can make special conditions if they need to. If you want a character then vote for it. Let Sakurai decide.

I just remembered another example. The Pac-Man ghosts are an AT and a stage hazzard despite also being Pac-Man's smash attacks.

Neoxon

I agree with your general logic - I didn't vote for X for the exact same reason, obviously I would have if I thought he was realistically eligible - but I don't think you should keep pushing for people to vote how you would vote. I know you mean well and I do see where you're coming from, but people generally don't respond well to that kind of attitude. Let other people interpret the vote and respond how they will and just make sure you vote for whoever you want according to your own (sound) logic. :) It's no skin off your back how or why people vote, unless every single one of those votes was going to go to your character of choice.
Fair enough, it just pains me to see people waste this opportunity on unrealistic choices. Sure, Wonder Red isn't very requested outside of GAF, but at least he has a shot & isn't already active in the game as something other than playable (Assist Trophy/Boss/etc.).

Hatchtag

Banned
Shadow was pretty cool in Sonic Battle.

latest

Shadow_attack_by_mikki4623-d3ihdpp.gif

ShadowAttackSmallAni2.gif

I'd honestly really love either Shadow or Knuckles as a low effort clone. Ganondorf is mostly just the fastest character in Melee made slower and stronger, and it's the funnest moveset in the entire series. Shadow or Knuckles doing the same damn thing could lead to beautiful results.

I am aware there is no good reason for Shadow to be slower and stronger, but I just want that horrible, horrible SA2-esque dialog.

God, don't remind me. I was so fucking salty over that. I was so sure Capcom was going to use that poll to directly determine who would be added to the roster (within reason), and when X won by a landslide, I was so happy because I figured he was a lock. I mean, he won by a landslide and he's one of the most popular versions of Capcom's mascot, who incredibly didn't make it into MvC 3 in the first place. Surely they couldn't not add X given all that?

...Yeah, we all know how that turned out. Denied simply because Niitsuma isn't a Mega Man fan and didn't want to research the 70+ moves X has to build a fighting game moveset from. Man, thinking about it too much still gets me riled up.

Mega Man getting into Smash healed that wound, but the scar will remain until I see X included a fighting game. :(

Ugh I remember that nightmare.

Neoxon

It doesn't matter. They can make special conditions if they need to. If you want a character then vote for it. Let Sakurai decide.

I just remembered another example. The Pac-Man ghosts are an AT and a stage hazzard despite also being Pac-Man's smash attacks.
But they aren't playable.

Still, I personally want Takamaru, but my vote would be better served elsewhere. Of course your vote is your call, so I suppose you can go with whatever you feel is right.

Ugh I remember that nightmare.

Right? I'm usually pretty good about not getting seriously upset about anything gaming-related or being one of "those" armchair critics, but I raged about that like crazy.

I don't think it was helped by the fact that all of that went down right in the middle of "Mega Mangate," with all the successive cancellations, unwanted/mocking cameos (BBA Mega Man in SFxT), Rockman Xover in general, and the overall dicking over of Mega Man and his fans. I'm pretty sure I would have just been somewhat upset if all other Mega Man-related things at the time had been normal.

I wish I could go back a few years, meet myself and say, "Hey. Hey, I understand, but it's okay. Just wait. Wait for the next Smash. You'll see. It's gonna turn out all right."

Blues1990

I rarely say a bad thing to anyone, but it was one of the few times when that twit deserved to eat a bag of dicks.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
In the end, voted for K Rool.

Other ones I wanted to vote for are Impa, Tails, Eggman, Banjo/Kazooie, but I think K Rool has the best shot at getting in.

Ridley has been attempted at being playable and he couldn't work, hence his incredibly player-character like boss form.

I really don't want secondary reps for any of the 3rd party characters who are already in, let alone Shadow. Just make a Sonic Battle 2 or a Sonic the Fighters 2 if you really need him in a fighting game again.

Wondering if alongside Dixie and K. Rool if I should throw in a vote for Impa and a RH rep, or if they're too obscure by internet popularity standards to get noticed.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Booby Witch!

I wonder if Cia would actually have a stronger shot than Impa in terms of not-Midna Zelda characters. Impa has been in more games and she has a really great look in Hyrule Warriors. I'd still take Impa over anyone else as another Zelda rep.

Off-Topic: I was sad about X not making it in, same for Gene!

Here's hoping to Capcom All-Star in the future.

On-Topic: I wonder when we will hear of the next DLC character.

Neoxon

I really don't want secondary reps for any of the 3rd party characters who are already in, let alone Shadow. Just make a Sonic Battle 2 or a Sonic the Fighters 2 if you really need him in a fighting game again.

Wondering if alongside Dixie and K. Rool if I should throw in a vote for Impa and a RH rep, or if they're too obscure by internet popularity standards to get noticed.
The Chorus Kids were worked on to an unspecified degree, so they're within the realm of possibility. Though yeah, their general popularity is an issue.

Voted for Zelda newcomer Cia

Isn't she technically third party since she's a HW original (much like Geno is Square-Enix property)?

Hatchtag

Banned
Off-Topic: I was sad about X not making it in, same for Gene!

Here's hoping to Capcom All-Star in the future.

On-Topic: I wonder when we will hear of the next DLC character.

Leaks aside
dear god these get to continue to be a thing don't they
, I'd be extremely shocked if it was any earlier than E3. I'd be fairly shocked if it was any later than E3, too.

Durden77

Just for fun, if I had 5 votes and they had to be different, this is who I would vote for in this order...

1. Snake
2. K. Rool
3. Wolf
4. Ridley
5. Sami

Village

I was never really upset about X, I don't consider megaman to be capcoms mascot. Thats RYU and Several RE characters and now Monster hunter peeps by a large mile. And I was personally more weirded out how the frigging lost planet character that they had in the japanese centric crossoever Tastunoko vs capcom wasn't in the Western Centric crossover.

All that said, its sucks that that happened. And I feel sorry for those who wanted megaman. I can't say I am agaist directors being like no. Namco's Harada has made some very valid points on the matter.

Also other mahvel fun fact I guess, the sengoku bassarra dudes from my understanding didn't want their characters in the game.

RagnarokX

But they aren't playable.

Still, I personally want Takamaru, but my vote would be better served elsewhere. Of course your vote is your call, so I suppose you can go with whatever you feel is right.

They are playable as part of Pac-man's moveset, and even if you don't think that counts it's still an example of characters existing in 3 different forms in the same game that could potentially all exist at the same time (play Pac Maze and do smash attacks with Pac-Man while the AT goes).

Vuapol

I voted for Snake. I am tempted to vote again, but I believe the terms have been explained that there is only one vote per person, even though people are obviously able to submit as many votes as they want.

Which makes me concerned that only one of your votes actually counts. And, if so, is it your first or your last? Are repeat votes discarded or do later votes override each other?

Well damn. I was hoping to vote for multiple characters, but I didn't think of this. Now I'm actually going to have to narrow myself down to just one vote to make sure. My final four:

Paper Mario
Takamaru
Isaac
Wolf
He's totally getting announced at E3 with the Star Fox U trailer, and as such doesn't need my vote, but I want to voice my support all the same.

And that's after making some hard "probably never going to make it" cuts, namely Snake and Crono. Decisions decisions...

I'm probably overthinking the hell out of this.

Leaks aside
dear god these get to continue to be a thing don't they
, I'd be extremely shocked if it was any earlier than E3. I'd be fairly shocked if it was any later than E3, too.

So, what happens if it's during E3? :p

. And I was personally more weirded out how the frigging lost planet character that they had in the japanese centric crossoever Tastunoko vs capcom wasn't in the Western Centric crossover.

Also other mahvel fun fact I guess, the sengoku bassarra dudes from my understanding didn't want their characters in the game.

Niitsuma didn't want giant characters in MvC3.

And you are correct on that, same for the Monster Hunter peeps.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

I voted twice. First for Ridley because it was in the heat of the moment and I didn't put much thought into it. I imagine Ridley's just going to get discarded because they already explained why he won't work and that they tried. So I voted again for King K Rool and hope for the best.

ash_ag

I just remembered that Sakurai had a similar poll shortly after SSB64 was released. Back then it was about characters players would add to "Smash Bros. 2" if they were making it, even though he made it clear that (supposedly) it wasn't under development at the time. Here are the results: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

Translation courtesy of GameFAQs member:

(1) Koopa [Super Mario series]: 169 (Bowser)
(2) Princess Peach [Super Mario series]: 66
(3) Wario [Super Mario series]: 65
(4) Great King Dedede [Kirby of the Stars series]: 46
(5) Ganon(dorf) [Legend of Zelda]: 36

(6) James Bond [GoldenEye 007]: 35
(6) Mewtwo [Pocket Monsters]: 35
(8) Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo & Kazooie's Big Adventure]: 33 ([Banjo-Kazooie])
(9) Kinopio [Super Mario series]: 27 (Toad)
(10) Mew [Pocket Monsters]: 24

(11) Marth [Fire Emblem]: 21
(12) Dosei-san [Mother 2]: 18 (Mr. Saturn [Earthbound])
(12) Satoshi (main character) [Pocket Monsters]: 18
(12) character from Fire Emblem [Fire Emblem]: 18

(15) Gooey [Kirby of the Stars series]: 17
(16) Diddy Kong [Donkey Kong series]: 15
(16) Sukapon [Joy Mecha Fight]: 15
(18) someone from Pokemon [Pocket Monsters]: 12
(19) Meta Knight [Kirby of the Stars series]: 11

(19) Lugia [Pocket Monsters]: 11

There are some more results here. Note that Geno was being requested ever since then, lol. :p

I bolded out those who eventually made it. Certain choices are pretty interesting, although the sample size was pretty small.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Really? Is it true?

All I remember that they were supposedly to have 58 characters. Niitsuma really want to break highest numbers of characters (MVC2) by adding two more character. Basically, they actually considered Gene and Mega Man X.

I wonder if we actually get those two characters if boards didn't rushed the game to be out early. (Don't ask me for source because it was long time ago so I remembered it was from japanese article or interview.)

Fair enough, it just pains me to see people waste this opportunity on unrealistic choices. Sure, Wonder Red isn't very requested outside of GAF, but at least he has a shot & isn't already active in the game as something other than playable (Assist Trophy/Boss/etc.).

What made you think that Wonder Red is a realistic choice for vote? If you are going to dismiss other people's desires to vote their favorite characters for some reasons.

Seriously, just let people vote what they went. I'm sick of people kept trying push their agency on other people, and echo chamber become somewhat annoying. If people want to vote for any impossible characters, then let them. That's their choices, not your or other people's.

Hatchtag

Banned
I voted twice. First for Ridley because it was in the heat of the moment and I didn't put much thought into it. I imagine Ridley's just going to get discarded because they already explained why he won't work and that they tried. So I voted again for King K Rool and hope for the best.

They never said they tried and there's no actual evidence of them trying. At most it's akin to them considering Takamaru or Pac-Man in Brawl-just a passing thought or suggestion with no real work put in. The animations and stock icon are a bit fishy, but they're really not all that significant.

Just for fun, if I had 5 votes and they had to be different, this is who I would vote for in this order...

1. Snake
2. K. Rool
3. Wolf
4. Ridley
5. Sami

Oh yeah, this is fun. Let's do this! It'll get my mind off X and UMvC 3. :(

1. Chorus Kids / Shovel Knight (yeah, they're tied; it's my list, I can do that!)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Ganon (A Link to the Past-style, pig form with trident and fire bats)
5. Krystal

This is all assuming X couldn't get in along with Mega Man, of course. If he would, X would be #1!

RagnarokX

LimpHarmlessIrukandjijellyfish.gif

Neoxon

Really? Is it true?

All I remember that they were supposedly to have 58 characters. Niitsuma really want to break highest numbers of characters (MVC2) by adding two more character. Basically, they actually considered Gene and Mega Man X.

I wonder if we actually get those two characters if boards didn't rushed the game to be out early. (Don't ask me for source because it was long time ago so I remembered it was from japanese article or interview.)

What made you think that Wonder Red is a realistic choice for vote? If you are going to dismiss other people's desires to vote their favorite characters for some reasons.

Seriously, just let people vote what they went. I'm sick of people kept trying push their agency on other people, and echo chamber become somewhat annoying. If people want to vote for any impossible characters, then let them. That's their choices, not your or other people's.
I noted the issues surrounding Wonder Red earlier.

They never said they tried and there's no actual evidence of them trying. At most it's akin to them considering Takamaru or Pac-Man in Brawl-just a passing thought or suggestion with no real work put in. The animations and stock icon are a bit fishy, but they're really not all that significant.
don't take this away from me I need to have hope ridley is happening next time

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm, maybe Little Ridley still has a chance. So let's join this game eh? If I could have 5 characters with no restrictions other than being Nintendo or relevant Third Parties:

1) Ridley
2) King K Rool
3) Impa
4) Banjo and Kazooie
5) Dr. Robotnik / Eggman

I'd be giddy as all hell if any one of them got in. I think of all of them, K Rool actually has the best shot for all the support and campaigns he seems to be getting.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Also why the HELL is Shadow somehow more deserving than Eggman if there's going to be a second Sonic character? At least Eggman has a mech he could pilot...although that is no longer a unique concept thanks to Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

Hell I'd take Tails and/or Knuckles over Shadow.

Now Knuckles would make a pretty fucking great Smash character.

Merc_

I would also like to vote that all the veteran characters get new updated victory themes. The fact that all the vets had their themes ported from brawl still annoys me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh yeah, this is fun. Let's do this! It'll get my mind off X and UMvC 3. :(

1. Chorus Kids / Shovel Knight (yeah, they're tied; it's my list, I can do that!)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Ganon (A Link to the Past-style, pig form with trident and fire bats)
5. Krystal

This is all assuming X couldn't get in along with Mega Man, of course. If he would, X would be #1!

Can you check my post about Mega Man X and UMVC3? I'm not sure if you noticed it or not? But it might not be good idea since you want to get your mind off.

Anyway, 5 characters here

1. Isaac
2. Takamaru
3. Chorus Kids (Leak convinced me that it's good idea)
4. Donkey Kong Country Representative
5. Advance Wars

Wonder Red is in top 10 tho.

RomanceDawn

Man these never got old! You will forever be remembered as my favorite Ridley supporter!

I feel like If Ridley were to be playable he would create more buzz than any character just because of how polarizing he is.

I really don't like the idea that people are wasting their votes. I mean just think of all th really popular characters that became ATs or Pokeball Pokemon?
Midna, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Takamaru, Genesect, Victini, Zoroark, Ashley and so on. It's a pretty big list of very recognized characters, some of which could very well be playable some day. Convincing people to not vote for them is just villainous!

Merc_

Also why the HELL is Shadow somehow more deserving than Eggman if there's going to be a second Sonic character? At least Eggman has a mech he could pilot...although that is no longer a unique concept thanks to Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

Hell I'd take Tails and/or Knuckles over Shadow.

Now Knuckles would make a pretty fucking great Smash character.

They all would make for great characters. I think most people are saying Shadow due to his popularity. Like it or not, he's probably only second to Sonic himself in those terms.

Nanashrew

Banned
I just remembered that Sakurai had a similar poll shortly after SSB64 was released. Back then it was about characters players would add to "Smash Bros. 2" if they were making it, even though he made it clear that (supposedly) it wasn't under development at the time. Here are the results: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

Translation courtesy of GameFAQs member:

There are some more results here. Note that Geno was being requested ever since then, lol. :p

I bolded out those who eventually made it. Certain choices are pretty interesting, although the sample size was pretty small.

I wonder what the top 19 will be for Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom