• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinroc

I haven't voted yet. I honestly don't know who to vote for. I was thinking about voting for Isaac, but Golden Sun seems kind of... dead right now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I haven't voted yet. I honestly don't know who to vote for. I was thinking about voting for Isaac, but Golden Sun seems kind of... dead right now.

Yeah, Golden Sun Dark Dawn bombed pretty bad. I know that Camolet really want to do Golden Sun 4 to finishing up with GSDD, but I don't think they would get a chance to do it. We will see in the future.

Pheno_NLD

Neo Member
Isn't she technically third party since she's a HW original (much like Geno is Square-Enix property)?
Nintendo and Koei Tecmo were in this together, so I have no idea who has the rights on this character. But then again: The voting page didn't say it had to be first party.

ash_ag

What would be hilarious is, its like yeah we have been watching IP addresses so any double votes are discounting all votes.

They are genuinely trying to determine the most popular characters, so, there's no reason to "punish" anyone for being too enthusiastic. There's little doubt that second/third and so on votes are being marked though. Since people usually first vote for the character they want most, this just means that they'll also have a distribution for the second-most-wanted character (along with the second most-wanted character), which could be a useful statistic.

Still, I think a number of characters is already in development. The most popular choices were more or less known beforehand (even if not necessarily in the correct order). The Ballot may help them decide for more on-the-verge cases, like Ridley (who may get in even if it was previously determined he would not fit, due to a higher-than-expected popularity). More importantly, there will surely be certain break-out choices that they will eventually consider (be it for now or later) based on some mid-spots of the Ballot. I don't think it's necessary to vote for the most likely characters to make your vote "count".

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it would seem overly spiteful and bitter to discount all votes because someone voted for 2-3 characters. They just don't want you flooding a particular character with hundreds of submissions or more. Plus, they said "one vote per person" so you could easily think of several people using the same computer?

Likely they aren't going to do anything about someone voting in a couple of characters unless they feel like someone is trying to skew the votes in one direction.

JediLink

Indeed. When Capcom did this for UMvC3, the #1 voted character didn't even get in.
IIRC the MvC3 poll was done by the mods of Capcom Unity, and was not officially endorsed by Capcom in any way. Also this is just my speculation, but I'm pretty sure the reason X didn't make it is because he was locked in as being a costume for Zero way, way in advance, and Niitsuma was just too stubborn to think of something else to use instead.

QoHEEIW.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's why I've been smart and have been using the UK version of the ballot that asks for a nickname. Filled it with all the GAF names in this thread so now they think you've all voted instead of me. Genius!

That's why I've been smart and have been using the UK version of the ballot that asks for a nickname. Filled it with all the GAF names in this thread so now they think you've all voted instead of me. Genius!

Good thing I'm not popular enough to be used as a nickname. Huehuehue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
it's like SmashGAF hype keeps on reviving no matter how much it gets killed, like a phoenix rising from the ashes after being burned by that Rayman hoax

Mgs2-solid-snake-bw.jpg

KFEFGneh.jpg

Do the right thing, people.
Theres really no point in voting for him or any Konami
or Hudson
character I feel since the whole thing with Konami destroying Kojima its obvious that its Konami's fault that Snake isn't in. (Tho I thought that already for months.) And with Sakurai and Kojima beng friends, Sakurai probably wouldn't add any Konami character due to them shaming his friend with all of the whole A Hideo Kojima removal. Sad but imo this is likely the closest to the truth.

On a lighter note, besides The Witch from The Witch's House and Stella from Xenophobia, two joke characters that I want since I love those characters, here are my realistic top 5:

1: Inklings - Never have I wanted a character more when their game isn't out.
2: Pheonix Wright - Love the character and series. Also Neoxon pls don't say "but theres already a Capcom character there can't be two!" anything goes in Smash and you've posted that like 20 times in the thread. Its annoying so just stahp. >_>
3: Shovel Knight - Not much of a chance but its in the realm of possibility. I really wish someone would make an Indie fighter.
4: Dynablade - From the creator of the "Its too big" meme I bring you Dynablade. I just really like the design.
5: Jack Frost/Atlus character - Really feel like this may happen by next game at this rate. Hope it does!

Not really all that many 1st party characters left that I want honesly. I feel Nintendo may start looking a bit more into third parties soon.

And as another outlandish pick: All 33 main Dangan Ronpa students in a Monokuma Copter like Bowser Jr. SPOILERS:
When I say 33 I mean the 16 students per game plus Genocide Jill.
Or hey a Dangan Ronpa fighting game will do too. Also Corpse Party fighting game. So many characters I want in a fighting game hehe.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I voted for Knuckles so we can have some Punkin Hill

I voted for ice climbers since they were my favourite character.

Rayman and Red are others I'd like to see though, outside of that I'm not too fussy.

Beartruck

I ended up putting in Isaac from Golden Sun. On one hand, we really don't need another swordsman, but on the other, his psynergy moves would be so cool.

You know, as much as I really want Wolf as DLC, I'll still feel a little... weird about it, since there's a suspicious lack of Wolf on Orbital gate, and he's pretty much the only cut Brawl character that isn't using his Brawl art as a trophy (the others are Ivysaur and Squirtle). In fact his trophy is in Brawl as well, labeled as Assault Wolf.

It kind of stuck out to me as weird at release, and now that we know DLC is coming and seems to be predominately veteran based... Wolf's omission in Smash 4's base roster seems awfully suspicious, especially with a new Star Fox on the way.

I... don't want to believe he was held back as DLC and planned from the start, but unlike Mewtwo and Lucas who obviously weren't planned, Wolf feels different.

Pizza

After the direct, the only "plausible" characters I'm really dying for are wonder red, starman (from the nes pro wrestling game) and captain rainbow.

Ryce

I... don't want to believe he was held back as DLC and planned from the start, but unlike Mewtwo and Lucas who obviously weren't planned, Wolf feels different.
Star Fox U wasn't even in development when the roster was finalized, so that's clearly not the case. There were only a few months of work put into the game as of last year's E3.

Does anyone else think this is a PR stunt by Nintendo?

I'm pretty sure all the DLC characters are already planned out, and they're probably characters that people have been voting for. That way when they're released, Nintendo can say "look, we listened!"

Oddduck

This ballot is probably the best chance at letting Nintendo know that there is interest in StarTropics as an IP.

No StarTropics on the Wii U/3DS VC at the moment.

No StarTropics representation in Smash Bros. Not even a single trophy.

Pompadour

You know, as much as I really want Wolf as DLC, I'll still feel a little... weird about it, since there's a suspicious lack of Wolf on Orbital gate, and he's pretty much the only cut Brawl character that isn't using his Brawl art as a trophy (the others are Ivysaur and Squirtle). In fact his trophy is in Brawl as well, labeled as Assault Wolf.

It kind of stuck out to me as weird at release, and now that we know DLC is coming and seems to be predominately veteran based... Wolf's omission in Smash 4's base roster seems awfully suspicious, especially with a new Star Fox on the way.

I imagine, like with past Smash games, Lucas and Wolf were originally planned but were cut later in development. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the rumored Chorus Men later on as well.

Ryce

Does anyone else think this is a PR stunt by Nintendo?

I'm pretty sure all the DLC characters are already planned out, and they're probably characters that people have been voting for. That way when they're released, Nintendo can say "look, we listened!"
Sakurai held the exact same survey for Brawl and a very similar survey for Smash 64 and Melee. There's nothing nefarious about it. People are just taking it way too seriously. It was never promoted as "the winner becomes DLC!" -- it's simply a way for Sakurai and the team to have an organized list of character requests instead of being bombarded on Twitter.

Morts

Looking at Miiverse soured me on this whole thing. It's pretty much all begging people to vote for Sonic characters...

Ricky 7

Ivysaur

180px-IvysaurTrophyWiiU.png

Because screw you, best starter (and before he evolves into a fat warty mess)
I have a feeling that all the Brawl veterans are likely to make it back since DLC all the way into 2016 is confirmed. Wolf will probably be released around Star Fox's new game and Squirtle and Ivysaur some time later.

I have a feeling that all the Brawl veterans are likely to make it back since DLC all the way into 2016 is confirmed. Wolf will probably be released around Star Fox's new game and Squirtle and Ivysaur some time later.

I think all vets in general, except Young Link, Ice Climbers and Snake.

Pichu and Roy are super easy to add, they could very well just be filler to keep the game relevant during the 4-6 month wait between major characters.

I'd rather not Ivysaur and Squirtle be put back in the game unless there are a LOT more characters coming. That would be so many PokeMon characters, it's not fair.

#Justice4Daisy

I don't think Wolf not using his Brawl look for his trophy is suspicious at all--Ice Climbers, Lucas, and the Pokemon Trainer do because they don't have any other useable 3D models. Wolf does.

I'd rather not Ivysaur and Squirtle be put back in the game unless there are a LOT more characters coming. That would be so many PokeMon characters, it's not fair.

#Justice4Daisy

But Ivysaur and Squirtle are already Smash characters, and Pichu is a clone. It's not like it's really adding a new Pokemon, just re-adding ones that had been cut before.

And besides, it's Pokemon. The second largest Nintendo IP, and one of the most well known video game IPs ever.

I don't think Wolf not using his Brawl look for his trophy is suspicious at all--Ice Climbers, Lucas, and the Pokemon Trainer do because they don't have any other useable 3D models. Wolf does.

True, and that would explain Squirtle and Ivysaur.

I think it's just the Orbital Gate lack of Wolf that's messing with me.

I was never really upset about X, I don't consider megaman to be capcoms mascot. Thats RYU and Several RE characters and now Monster hunter peeps by a large mile. And I was personally more weirded out how the frigging lost planet character that they had in the japanese centric crossoever Tastunoko vs capcom wasn't in the Western Centric crossover.

All that said, its sucks that that happened. And I feel sorry for those who wanted megaman. I can't say I am agaist directors being like no. Namco's Harada has made some very valid points on the matter.

Also other mahvel fun fact I guess, the sengoku bassarra dudes from my understanding didn't want their characters in the game.

Well, obviously opinions are opinions, but I'd say it's pretty much irrefutable that Mega Man is Capcom's mascot... not Ryu, and especially not any Monster Hunters. I work closely with Capcom a lot for my job, so I have a lot of their business cards and company swag, and they always have exactly one character on them: Mega Man (usually the 8-bit sprite version). The only exception I can think of is one of their crew shirts, where instead of Mega Man, they had... a Servbot, which is from Mega Man Legends. So take all that how you will, but I feel the conclusion is pretty obvious. :p

Of course, that doesn't change what went down with MvC 3. That was a weird time at the company with regard to Mega Man, though, with Inafune getting ready to leave and everything. Actually, despite the lack of a new game, Capcom's been treating Mega Man characters who (thankfully) aren't Zero quite a bit better since Inafune left, while Zero has more or less been ignored. Maybe they realized that would be the best way to get back at him, since it's really Zero who's his baby and not Mega Man!

Really? Is it true?

All I remember that they were supposedly to have 58 characters. Niitsuma really want to break highest numbers of characters (MVC2) by adding two more character. Basically, they actually considered Gene and Mega Man X.

I wonder if we actually get those two characters if boards didn't rushed the game to be out early. (Don't ask me for source because it was long time ago so I remembered it was from japanese article or interview.)

That's how I understand everything went down, but I doubt we'll ever know the whole, real truth. I sure would love to, though. As infuriating as that whole situation was, I also find the logistics of it really interesting.

I would also like to vote that all the veteran characters get new updated victory themes. The fact that all the vets had their themes ported from brawl still annoys me.

That would be pretty cool, actually. Honestly I'm okay with all the vets still having their Brawl victory themes because they're really good and appropriate across the board... except for one: Ness's. His Melee victory theme is unilaterally better than his Brawl one. Hell, his 64 victory theme is better than his Brawl one too!

Besides King Ka Rool, most of the major characters should have their villans in Smash. Dr.Eggman would be FANTASTIC for this game! Also, there's not a lot of overweight fighters in fighting games and Dr.Eggman would help fill in that roll.

Waluigi is already an assist trophy, so I don't see how it's possible for him to become a character :( I would love to see Tingle and Ghiarahim, but they're assist trophy's as well :( :(

L Thammy

Not sure if this helps anyone else with their votes, but this should be all of the mentions in the thread.

Featured Franchise (New character from a franchise with playable characters already in Smash.)
Donkey Kong Jr (Donkey Kong)
K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
Dixie (Donkey Kong Country)
Lanky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Candy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Tharja (Fire Emblem)
Owain (Fire Emblem)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Jody Summers (F-Zero)
Hades (Kid Icarus)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Impa (Legend of Zelda)
Tetra (Legend of Zelda)
Toon Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda)
Toon Zelda (Legend of Zelda)
Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Vaati (Legend of Zelda)
Ridley (Metroid)
Super Space Pirate (Metroid)
Anthony Higgs (Metroid)
Duster (Mother)
Kumatora (Mother)
Ninten (Mother)
Claus (Mother)
Sceptile (Pokemon)
Torterra (Pokemon)
Melotta (Pokemon)
N (Pokemon)
Blaziken (Pokemon)
King Hippo (Punch-Out)
Doc Louis (Punch-Out)
Mr. Sandman (Punch-Out)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Daisy (Super Mario Bros)
Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)
Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros)
Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Wart (Super Mario Bros)
Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)
Pink Gold Peach (Super Mario Bros)
Shadow Mario (Super Mario Bros)
Dry Bones (Super Mario Bros)
Mouser (Super Mario Bros)
Birdo (Super Mario Bros)
Master Core (Super Smash Bros)
Ashley (WarioWare)
Mona (WarioWare)
Jimmy T (WarioWare)
9-Volt (WarioWare)
Metal Face (Xenoblade)
Elma (Xenoblade)
Dunban (Xenoblade)
Melia Antiqua (Xenoblade)
Kamek (Yoshi's Island)

Returning Character (Playable characters from a previous Smash game that aren't in SSB4)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)
Squirtle (Pokemon)
Ivysaur (Pokemon)
Wolf (Star Fox)

Assist Trophy (Characters who have already been in SSBB or SSB4 in as assist trophies.)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Excitebike (Excitebike)
Midna (Legend of Zelda)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
Dark Samus (Metroid)
Jeff Andonuts (Mother)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)

Current Franchise (Multiple games, new entry as recently as 2010)
Vince (Art Academy)
Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Felix (Golden Sun)
Mia (Golden Sun)
Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
Vivian (Paper Mario)
Brighton (Mario Party)
Admiral Bobbery (Paper Mario)
Mallo (Pushmo)
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
Barista (Rhythm Heaven)
Marshall (Rhythm Heaven)

Current Game (Single game, new entry as recently as 2010)
Abraham Lincoln (Codename S.T.E.A.M.)
Mona (Nintendo Land)
Inkling (Splatoon)
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)

Dormant Franchise (Multiple games, no new entries as recently than 2010)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Lin (Advance Wars)
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
ST Falcon (Battle Clash)
Lolo & Lala (Eggerland)
Elite Beat Agents (Elite Beat Agents)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Meca Hawk (Pilotwings)
Lip (Puzzle League)
Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Dormant Game (Single game, released prior to 2010)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Tamagon (Devil World)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster Day of Crisis)
Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Murasame (Nazo no Murasamejou)
Star Man (Pro Wrestling)
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling)
Samurai (Sakura Samurai)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Mallo (Super Mario RPG)
Tin Star (Tin Star)

Third Party Franchise (All third-party characters, whether or not they fit in the above categories.)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jason (Blaster Master)
Django (Boktai)
Bomberman (Bomberman)
Tiz Arrior (Bravely Default)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Fou Lu (Breath of Fire)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Richter Belmont (Castlevania)
Shanoa (Castlevania)
Dracula (Castlevania)
Quote (Cave Story)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Bill Rizer (Contra)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Tawna (Crash Bandicoot)
Blob (De Blob)
Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Dudebro (Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time)
4 Fiends (Final Fantasy)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Kefka (Final Fantasy)
Lightning (Final Fantasy)
Lilac (Freedom Planet)
Goemon (Ganbare Goemon)
Vic Viper (Gradius)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Gunman Clive (Gunman Clive)
Master Chief (Halo)
Henry Hatsworth (Henry Hatsworth)
Haruka Amami (iD@LMASTER)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Chase McCain (LEGO City)
Yellow Devil (Mega Man)
Protoman (Mega Man)
Mega Man X (Mega Man)
Zero (Mega Man)
Megaman.EXE (Mega Man)
Snake (Metal Gear)
Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Chibiterasu (Okami)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Mail (Popful Mail)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Rayman (Rayman)
Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
Shantae (Shantae)
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Dr. Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Xianghua (Soul Calibur)
Rusty (Steamworld Dig)
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of)
Tetromino (Tetris)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
The Witch (The Witch's House)
Neku (The World Ends With You)
Adol Christin (Ys)

Non-video game Nintendo stuff
Hanafuda deck
Captain N
Shigeru Miyamoto
A console
Reggie Fils-Aime
Mister Magician
Non Specific Action Figure

lol
Shrek
John Cena
Bill O'Reilly
Vegeta
Goku
Naruto
Cory Baxter
Batman
Sonichu
Gohan
Dark Magician
Charlie Brown
Elsa
Dio Brando
Hideo Kojima
Brock Lesnar
Joey Wheeler
Hatsune Miku
Joe Montana
Spongebob
Mike Tyson
DMX
Spiderman
Charlie Brown
Policeman from Village People
Zack Morris
Jake Armitage
Sam & Max
Astro Boy
Popeye
Sailor Moon
Crow T. Robot
Bane
Christopher Robin
Mr. Satan

L Thammy

Also, there's not a lot of overweight fighters in fighting games and Dr.Eggman would help fill in that roll.

Is this a typo or a pun?

^ man and that's this thread alone?

That poll must be like

Yeah, I kind of wanted to dump the whole third party section in the "lol" category. And that bottom category isn't just made of joke suggestions, amazingly enough. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have to go over this data.

Although, I think the most popular votes might be visible in the thread already. If you eliminate every character with less than (let's say) 20 amount of votes, we might get fairly pretty short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom