• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let get it over with Direct discussion and focus on Smash discussion like this thread is for.

Anyway, let see what y'all predict for only two ballot newcome that could make in as DLC?

No wishy lists please. Just think what Sakurai would like to. Inklkng is off-limit for this one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, we'll have news this month. It's not just "eh, maybe, there could be something"...we have very solid bases about possible announcements in the next future, I won't list them again (that's Neoxon's job :sese ). So, unfortunately, we just have to wait and see. We have two weeks of October and a (supposedly) major investor meeting left, and way too many hints about stuff happening. In a way or another, we'll get infos. Hopefully, it's the first Direct in the post-Iwata era.

Hopefully, the metaphorical blue balls I'm suffering right now by the lack of anything about a Direct will be cured soon. Damn it, it's been too much time

EDIT: And yes, this avatar will stay until anything (even some of the news teased / leaked, not necessarly a Direct) will be announced.

Let get it over with Direct discussion over and focus on Smash discussion like this thread is for.

Anyway, let see what y'all predict for only two ballot newcome that could make in as DLC?

No wishy lists please. Just think what Sakurai would like to. Inklkng is off-limit for this one.

A Rhythm Heaven character and Isaac. RH character's reasoning is obvious - it was already considered for Smash, and would be really unique. Isaac I argue, while not having the Japanese popularity, Sakurai may look at how well he's polling, check out the character in depth, and decide that his moveset potential is awesome

It's close to evening in Japan, right? I'm not sure a Nintendo Direct has ever had less than at least a day and a halfs notice before airing. Could be wrong about that.
It could be a direct mini that just gets uploaded randomly on YouTube tomorrow, considering everything I wouldn't be surprised. I do think they wouldn't do that for the first post Iwata direct but ya never know.

NotLiquid

It would be kind of funny if a new character DLC trailer just suddenly sprang up on YouTube

I think they'd do that, as weird and unprecedented as it would be.

Hell I'd believe it. Nintendo just don't seem into revealing info collectively as of late, lol.

Plus, I don't really believe Nintendo thinks that Smash characters "need" to have a hyped up event/announcement. They can just throw up a video and it'd instantly get probably a million views in a day. Word spreads fast on the community and the internet when Smash involved.

JazzmanZ

Let get it over with Direct discussion and focus on Smash discussion like this thread is for.

King K rool and Bandanna Waddle Dee

Hell I'd believe it. Nintendo just don't seem into revealing info collectively as of late, lol.

Plus, I don't really believe Nintendo thinks that Smash characters "need" to have a hyped up event/announcement. They can just throw up a video and it'd instantly get probably a million views in a day. Word spreads fast on the community and the internet when Smash involved.

Mario Maker was a fairly low key stage release and that generated a ton of hype with just a simple YouTube video.

They did show us Robin's trailer without a Direct, but it was announced ahead of time. I think that worked well, even if it wasn't part of a huge event.

georly

Mario Maker was a fairly low key stage release and that generated a ton of hype with just a simple YouTube video.

They did show us Robin's trailer without a Direct, but it was announced ahead of time. I think that worked well, even if it wasn't part of a huge event.

The fakeout was totally ruined by the video title, though. Would have been a great nintendo direct tease. Segue to next trailer, fakeout to smash bros.

Dr. Buni

No wish list? Definitely not K. Rool or Dixie, because Sakurai gives zero fucks for Donkey Kong. I predict yet another Fire Emblem character, maybe from Fates and maybe Bandana Waddle Dee as the second character, since Kirby is Sakurai's baby.

Since Inklings are off-limit, I would want a RH rep and Dixie Kong...

No wish list? Definitely not K. Rool or Dixie, because Sakurai gives zero fucks for Donkey Kong. I predict yet another Fire Emblem character, maybe from Fates and maybe Bandana Waddle Dee or something.

Just an hour ago I was killing time on Smash, through the powers of random I ended up on the N64 Mario stage with Ike vs Another Ike vs Robin vs DK.
And in this moment it felt as if my personal underwhelming points about this entry had converged into one place, I was playing on the umpteenth Mario series stage with DK outnumbered by Fire Emblem characters, two of which were the same guy and the other a generic avatar.

And one lone tear ran down my cheek.
Fortunately Ike is my man so the FE overload has its pluses.

PK Gaming

One time I was playing a FG doubles match as Robin against an Ike and Roy player, with my partner being a Marth player. At the very beginning of the match, we all taunted at the same time. It was like... providence.

Wish I uploaded the replay ;(

That one ups the time in Brawl three of us entered an online match as Ganondorf and proceeded to initiate the sword taunt in celebration of this random chance.
Actually the real treat about this was immediately afterwards one Dorf got caught in a game of forward tilt tennis, now that was where the same wavelength really came into play.

And I do still have that replay coming to think of it

Dr. Buni

Just an hour ago I was killing time on Smash, through the powers of random I ended up on the N64 Mario stage with Ike vs Another Ike vs Robin vs DK.
And in this moment it felt as if my personal underwhelming points about this entry had converged into one place, I was playing on the umpteenth Mario series stage with DK outnumbered by Fire Emblem characters, two of which were the same guy and the other a generic avatar.

And one lone tear ran down my cheek.
Fortunately Ike is my man so the FE overload has its pluses.
Ike is a great character, both from a play style perspective and from a character perspective. I really enjoy his saga in Fire Emblem. Marth is the face of the series, Fire Emblem's Mario. He's also great playstyle wise. Robin is extremely unique and even though they come from an underwhelming game (IMO), I like them a lot.

The others... meh. They are clones, so they don't really bother me that much since not much development time and resources were put into them, but the fact a B-tier franchise like Fire Emblem have five characters while Donkey Kong have 2 really stings. It must feel good to be a FE and Smash fan.

That's okay. When Smash 7 is roughly one-third Fire Emblem nobodies who were popular at that one moment in time of their respective Smash entrance you'll appreciate what variety they bring to the series.

Ike is a great character, both from a play style perspective and from a character perspective. I really enjoy his saga in Fire Emblem. Marth is the face of the series, Fire Emblem's Mario. He's also great playstyle wise. Robin is extremely unique and even though they come from an underwhelming game (IMO), I like them a lot.

The others... meh. They are clones, so they don't really bother me that much since not much development time and resources were put into them, but the fact a B-tier franchise like Fire Emblem have five characters while Donkey Kong have 2 really stings. It must feel good to be a FE and Smash fan.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here, it's not so much that I dislike the characters or anything and the most lesser one of the lot to me in Lucina I can't really complain about because like Dark Pit she's basically an ascended alt costume which pleases her fans and doesn't really have any drawbacks.

I do think that while bringing back vets as DLC Wolf should have had priority over Roy but oh well, Wolf may still come in time.

Robin is a character that I like for the moveset idea but the actual character him/herself might just be the most flavourless one in Smash due to their stock appearance, good thing they made sure to give the tactician of Awakening a strong cloak design.

In any case I'd never have guessed that at this point DK would still be sitting at 2 while FE has 5.

To be fair? Every time I suggest a DK newcomer that's a clone DK fans poopoo the idea. DK deserves a brand new newcomer, but like you said - FE is elevated mostly by its clones. Maybe DK fans should ask for Dixie Kong to be a clone!

To be fair? Every time I suggest a DK newcomer that's a clone DK fans poopoo the idea. DK deserves a brand new newcomer, but like you said - FE is elevated mostly by its clones. Maybe DK fans should ask for Dixie Kong to be a clone!

I think most people expected Dixie to be a Luigified version of Diddy and yet she's still not playable. I'd tolerate Funky or Kiddy as DK clones as long as that didn't prevent K. Rool from getting in.

Dr. Buni

Ideally, Donkey Kong would get two completely unique characters, but I would be happy with an unique newcomer and a clone. I was thinking about getting Dixie or King K. Rool (unique newcomer) + Donkey Kong Jr. (DK clone, smaller and faster and stuff). Sadly one character, unique or clone, is already unlikely... let alone two.
Robin is a character that I like for the moveset idea but the actual character him/herself might just be the most flavourless one in Smash due to their stock appearance, good thing they made sure to give the tactician of Awakening a strong cloak design.
What I like about Robin, besides the moveset/play style, is precisely the fact they are an avatar character. Partially because people laughed at the idea of an avatar getting in Smash instead of the main lord of the game (Chrom) and partially because I am fond of customizable/avatar characters (Robin, Villager and hopefully Inklings soon).

I wouldn't say no to a Funky Kong clone, it's the only one that would really work.
I feel like Dixie could only offshoot from Diddy in a way like Wolf does to Fox as opposed to Falco.

What I like about Robin, besides the moveset/play style, is precisely the fact they are an avatar character. Partially because people laughed at the idea of an avatar getting in Smash instead of the main lord of the game (Chrom) and partially because I am fond of customizable/avatar characters (Robin, Villager and hopefully Inklings soon).
Don't forget Miis, it's avatar central now.

I just think that out of all of those Robin is the one that sticks out for being rather unremarkable in a visual sense, avatar characters like Villager and Inklings are very distinct by comparison.

Ultimately though Robin saved us from newcomer Chrom so I'll always be thankful for that at least.

Dr. Buni

I wouldn't say no to a Funky Kong clone, it's the only one that would really work.
I feel like Dixie could only offshoot from Diddy in a way like Wolf does to Fox as opposed to Falco.
Dixie has so much potential for being unique, that the only way she would be a clone is if Sakurai doesn't want to spend resources and development time with her.

You don't think DK. Jr would work as a clone? I like Funky Kong, but he is basically DK with clothes. He is the same size, same body build, etc. DK. Jr would offer more visual variety. Ideally, I would like Cranky, but I don't see how he could be a clone of anyone, really.

what if they added funky but gave him shitty animal noises instead of his signature dulcet voice

truly there is no worse fate
He wouldn't even be Funky Kong anymore.

Dixie has so much potential for being unique, that the only way she would be a clone is if Sakurai doesn't want to spend resources and development time with her.

You don't think DK. Jr would work as a clone? I like Funky Kong, but he is basically DK with clothes. He is the same size, same body build, etc. DK. Jr would offer more visual variety. Ideally, I would like Cranky, but I don't see how he could be a clone of anyone, really.
I'm just completely indifferent to DK Jr and would view his insertion as one of those moments where Sakurai would've deliberately avoided the actual desired series characters just so he could pull a "surprise".

Cranky has clone potential, when Shovel Knight arrives!

The FE salt is delicious

Absolutely delicious
Funnily enough the saltiest FE could've gotten from me is having Ike cut.
Still kinda surprised he made it to the default roster after Lucas and Wolf were dropped.

Dr. Buni

Isn't that the point of a clone? DK Jr. has nothing in common with DK other than the fact that they share the same name.
A clone doesn't need to look extremely similar to the original character, only share a similar moveset. Like Fox and Falco or Marth and Roy (nowadays he is more of a semi-clone). I have nothing against the idea of having Funky as a clone in Smash, but the whining would be a lot less if the clone looked considerably different from the original.

For example: I think that, if Sakurai had introduced Hades or Medusa as clones instead of Dark Pit, people would have complained a lot less.
The FE salt is delicious

Absolutely delicious
How mature of you. Look at them, they are salty :^)

I mean, I am a huge fan of... say, Animal Crossing and I would definitely find it weird if the series had 5 playable characters. But I guess FE fans can't understand that.

A clone doesn't need to look extremely similar to the original character, only share a similar moveset. Like Fox and Falco or Marth and Roy (nowadays he is more of a semi-clone). I have nothing against the idea of having Funky as a clone in Smash, but the whining would be a lot less if the clone looked considerably different from the original.

Ask yourself why the clones were added in the first place. Because they share similar builds with existing characters, so they were easy to add at the last minute. Why would they waste their time making a brand new model for a clone when they could give that character a unique moveset? Funky or Kiddy (preferably Funky) would both be extremely easy to make, but Sakurai probably doesn't even know that they exist.

I mean, I am a huge fan of... say, Animal Crossing and I would definitely find it weird if the series had 5 playable characters. But I guess FE fans can't understand that.

I think it's more weird that people are so upset about it that they talk about it all the time. I know this piece of advice is generally frowned upon but I mean, get over it.

It's somewhat odd at worst. One is a clone, one is a semiclone. It's a popular series with varied characters and protagonists. And the three totally original characters we have (Marth, Ike, Robin) are all very distinct.

Just, leave it be. Sorry everyone's franchise of choice didn't get more characters.

The observation

"Wow FE sure has a lot of characters. Huh."

is different from

"Golly gee I wish there weren't so many generic anime swordsmen from this series" or whatever people usually say to justify why they hate so many FE characters being in the game.

I'm not even that big a fan of FE lol. I kinda like it but the salt is mostly delicious because of the same reason say they want characters removed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They only had to make four new colors to bring Wario to 16. They ended up making 3 new colors to consolidate his biker colors anyway.

No excusing what they did with Wario (they could have at least kept his old colours), just pointing out they didn't exactly put that much effort into Mac's extra costumes.

Now the alleged "leakers" are claiming that the Direct is going to be on Monday. I fucking hope not, considering I work from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Watch K. Rool be revealed.

Draxal

For example: I think that, if Sakurai had introduced Hades or Medusa as clones instead of Dark Pit, people would have complained a lot less.

No offense bro ... your posting style discussing FE is rather petulant. I mean, yes I do think 5 fe characters is too many, but let's be real FE games have different protags every game, if Zelda/Mario/Donkey had a different main character each game their rosters would explode to Pokemon levels.

I guess they saw the maintenance schedule and decided to predict that it would happens on Monday.

Yeah, how convenient. I'm calling their bluff. This is getting ridiculous.

No offense bro ... your posting style discussing FE is rather petulant. I mean, yes I do think 5 fe characters is too many, but let's be real FE games have different protags every game, if Zelda/Mario/Donkey had a different main character each game their rosters would explode to Pokemon levels.

DK isn't playable in DKC2 or DKC3, lol. This is why we need Dixie (and K. Rool) to round out the DK series cast.

Fire Emblem characters nearly outnumber DK characters and stages combined in 3DS/Wii U

EDIT: If you put quotations around leakers, doesn't that mean the same thing as "alleged" :v

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Who are the so called leakers? Octogirl (who's actually a reliable dataminer, but she doesn't leak infos about next Direct) or who else?

Considering how big (not in terms of length, but in terms of what's going off Monday for 4 hours - i.e. everything) this maintenance is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Direct is indeed on Monday, several hours before that. But, yeah, I need more than that to believe not-so-reliable leakers.

NotLiquid

Now the alleged "leakers" are claiming that the Direct is going to be on Monday. I fucking hope not, considering I work from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Watch K. Rool be revealed.

Don't think anyone said this. Stealth misinterpreted a completely unrelated tweet from NWPlayer. Not that I think it matters tbh. At this point there's only really one week left for this to have any veracity.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Don't think anyone said this. Stealth misinterpreted a completely unrelated tweet from NWPlayer. Not that I think it matters tbh. At this point there's only really one week left for this to have any veracity.

one week left for what? Did I recalled it correctly that someone said that we would have know anything by tomorrow. (They specifically said "this week or next week" last week, so yeah.

Edited: I'm not saying that Direct wouldn't happens but I don't even remember any rumors about Direct being right after all for last few years.

Draxal

Yeah, how convenient. I'm calling their bluff. This is getting ridiculous.

DK isn't playable in DKC2 or DKC3, lol. This is why we need Dixie (and K. Rool) to round out the DK series cast.

I fully admit that I'm shocked that Dixie isn't in the roster. I definitely think there is an aversion to western developed characters, and particularly Rare chars.

edit. Also, Fire Emblem has at this point 11-23 different main characters (depending on what you think is main), obviously not every one of them has gotten into Smash yet either.

NeonZ

If we're randomly speculating clones... couldn't K.Rool actually work as a DK clone? Give him different idle animations and walk animations, and use the modern design (which has the legs spread further apart than the classic one) and it seems like most of DK's other animations would fit in just fine.

Of course, this would be a Ganondorf situation all over again. A character who could have unique moveset potential would then be forever limited by originating as a clone in Smash. Still, like I said above, aside from returning characters, I don't think we'll see clones in the DLC, since there doesn't seem to be price variation or bundles so far (aside from character + stage).

NotLiquid

one week left for what? Did I recalled it correctly that someone said that we would have know anything by tomorrow. (They specifically said "this week or next week" last week, so yeah.

Edited: I'm not saying that Direct wouldn't happens but I don't even remember any rumors about Direct being right after all for last few years.

I wasn't talking about Directs, I was talking about when we'd get to hear the announcements. It seems to me as if there's only one week left for this potential reveal if any of this talk is remotely true. For the better week most of the realistic talk I'd been hearing was "a couple of weeks" at most, but never a specific date from anyone.

NINTENDO ADDED A PRIVATE VIDEO TO THEIR DIRECT PLAYLIST

[SCREAMS]

What are the chances that they just privatized an older video though? Is there any actual proof that it wasn't there before?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
NINTENDO ADDED A PRIVATE VIDEO TO THEIR DIRECT PLAYLIST

[SCREAMS]

Same URL like 9 months ago.

u57BpVb.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Direct will come in the next hour.

Now just repost that every hour and you'll eventually be right.

Also DK Jr should be a Marth clone who attacks people with a banana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom