• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish Sm4sh gets the same love as Splatoon.

You may want to re-read my post. She's not popular because of loli rule 34; the abundance of artwork proves that she's a popular character. It's a chicken and egg thing.

But what if she's popular not because of silly fetishes but because she appeals to the Japanese audience of being a cute witch?

Same reason why Lucario is popular - typical justice/heroic character in his introduction with relatively easy to get in the games and has good stats.

I'm going for the mindset here.

Crayolan

Was checking the warioware forums and noticed this little addition to the japanese badge collection thingy on Japanese 3DS... why can't we get nice things like this? :/

CRZO1nNUkAAp8_4.png:large

Look who's in half the badges, plus the translated text on the 2nd last panel :p
nice to see isabelle and nikki making an appearance too though :D

Mona/Jimmy T/9 Volt fans BTFO

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I already know Jimmy T isn't the most popular though. Jimmy T appeals to those who don't have two left feet ergo 1% of the population.

Dr. Buni

I think it's unfair to attribute Ashley's popularity solely to Rule 34. That's like saying Ness and Lucas are only popular because of shota rule 34 :p Of course, part of their popularity come from that, but it is nowhere near as bad as the likes of Zero Suit Samus who are only liked because "boobs".

Golnei

nowhere near as bad as the likes of Zero Suit Samus who are only liked because "boobs".

You're being completely unfair. There's far more to ZSS' appeal than just 'boobs'; and to imply otherwise does a great disservice to a character which arguably exemplifies an even more important and iconic aspect of the nature of Samus and the Metroid series than her Power Suited form.

Zero Suit Samus certainly is popular because of her sexiness, but that's not the only reason she's well-liked. Zero Suit Samus' history doesn't begin with Zero Mission (which is of course the origin of that particular design), but with the very first Metroid game for the NES, where one of the rewards for beating the game fast is Samus revealing herself to be a woman. And of course, the famous Justin Bailey password that allowed players to use Samus without her armor. The Zero Suit section in Zero Mission is a bit of a throwback to that (particularly because ZM is a remake of Metroid 1). Most people didn't get that ending screen with armor-less Samus when playing the original Metroid, so very few people knew she was female before the GBA and Prime titles, as well as her exposure to Smash Bros.

The reason why people like Samus as a character is because not only is she an attractive woman, but she's also a Bad Ass
(except in Other M, but we don't talk about that)
. She's a strong character, capable of fighting off bizarre aliens and exploring vast hazardous cavern systems, all on her own. It's why people were so upset with her characterization in Other M, because this woman who's been through so much and never had to rely on anyone when fighting the space pirates and the creatures on Zebes and SR388 (quite the contrary, actually; Samus is so good at what she does, the Galactic Federation hires her to infiltrate those operations on her own), suddenly turned into a stereotypical woman who needed a strong man to help and guide her.

In both Brawl and Smash 4, she's also a very strong character, so that also adds to her popularity in this particular game.

And on that point, I'm still massively upset we didn't get a Justin Bailey NES Samus as a colour palette for Zero Suit Samus. I want the hot pink suit and green hair, Sakurai. If we can get the hot pants versions, why not this.
latest

Boss Doggie

Rear is best.

Also I actually like how Palutena is depicted. Fanservice-y? Yeah, but she's also a goddess and it feels like she damn knows that and she plays around with it. Reminds me of Bayonetta in that regard.

Golnei

And on that point, I'm still massively upset we didn't get a Justin Bailey NES Samus as a colour palette for Zero Suit Samus. I want the hot pink suit and green hair, Sakurai. If we can get the hot pants versions, why not this.
latest

Ideally, the Zero Suit and Fusion/ZM model should have gotten 8 palettes each, with the latter including ones referring to the NES costume (with the skin, hair and maybe eyes changing as well) plus something based on the Chozo training outfit (which would colour some of her skin to suggest an undershirt and leggings).

Rear is best.

Also I actually like how Palutena is depicted. Fanservice-y? Yeah, but she's also a goddess and it feels like she damn knows that and she plays around with it. Reminds me of Bayonetta in that regard.

Palutena being flirty in itself isn't a bad thing, but her SSB4 portrayal was missing a bit of the endearing dorkiness that was central to her character in Uprising, and the new VA isn't able to sell that aspect as well as Hillis. Does she even use her glasses sprite at all in the Guidances?

Boss Doggie

Yeah, her VA in Sm4sh didn't get much of her quirkiness right, with that said I think one of the guidance features Nerdutena.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is Justin Bailey even a thing in Japan considering it's a coincidental code resulting in a screwed up palette.

Actually, their Metroid was a disk system game so used a save system therefore Justin Bailey was definitely not a thing.

Golnei

Is Justin Bailey even a thing in Japan considering it's a coincidental code resulting in a screwed up palette.

Actually, their Metroid was a disk system game so used a save system therefore Justin Bailey was definitely not a thing.

While I don't think you couldn't actually play as Samus without her suit in the Famicom version, the sprite definitely shows up in the ending. You're right that the name obviously has no relevance in Japan, though.

And while any hypothetical NES palette for ZSS would be more likely to use the brown hair due to that appearing in all versions of the game, it's not inconceivable for them to use the green, since it's the intended result of the Varia suit being picked up while playing as suitless Samus, not anything specific to the password itself.

So they don't really need pages on the 3DS if they don't want to
BjQ7GVx.png

Each tile is 40x44. By making every tile 40x40 you gain an entire new column and six more slots, which is probably the most DLC characters we could ever hope to get.

They're probably still just add another page, which is sad, since a barely noticeable solution to a one screen CSS is there.

Coincidentally, iirc, there are six more spaces on the Wii U CSS before they basically hit the size limit for the tiles.

NotLiquid

I'm kinda curious if nothing happens this monday. I mean, Friday's already busted.

I don't imagine that Monday is an absolute deadline as much as next week in general. If nothing happens this next week we'll just throw this one to the bank of fifty similar dud rumors. No big deal. It would be hilarious how much traction it had and how much stuff was going for it though when you consider everything else.

With Smash, every day is a slow news day.

Monday's maintenance must be massive, they bumped weekly maintenance to today and changed the wording on Monday's to no longer be "General" but specific to Nintendo Network IDs.

I'm not sure if that means a Direct or not, but I guess we'll know in a few hours. If one isn't announced within the next 6-8 or so hours, it's probably not happening.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Monday's maintenance must be massive, they bumped weekly maintenance to today and changed the wording on Monday's to no longer be "General" but specific to Nintendo Network IDs.

I'm not sure if that means a Direct or not, but I guess we'll know in a few hours. If one isn't announced within the next 6-8 or so hours, it's probably not happening.

It's 10pm there right now so yeah.

Boss Doggie

The deadline of the rumor keeps getting pushed?

It really is slow news. I wish something magnificent happens.

Clefargle

BjQ7GVx.png

Each tile is 40x44. By making every tile 40x40 you gain an entire new column and six more slots, which is probably the most DLC characters we could ever hope to get.

They're probably still just add another page, which is sad, since a barely noticeable solution to a one screen CSS is there.

Coincidentally, iirc, there are six more spaces on the Wii U CSS before they basically hit the size limit for the tiles.

Came to post this, it would be the best possible scenario for the game. 6 more chars split into 2 or 3 chunks would do very well for Smash 4 and keep people coming back into 2016. very hype if true.

NotLiquid

Don't think there was ever a real deadline in the rumor talk other than October. This week just made a lot of sense on account of the Splatoon murmurs. Some people have been suggesting some dates over than others. At least three people I know who got to find out about this rumor as well suggested "a couple of weeks", and this was before all of us, including some of the rumor dudes, started posting date assumptions.

I will say ever since I stopped anticipating things time has flown by much faster for me lol.

But hey, at least Nikki nailed the Splatoon estimate - she said that the game was going to need an update before next Friday and it got one.

Neoxon

BjQ7GVx.png

Beat me to it. So I suppose that 6 more characters is the limit.

Roger specifically said "next two weeks", so next week is indeed the deadline. We were just getting our hopes up that it would be this week.

Don't think there was ever a real deadline in the rumor talk other than October.

Now there is

@kakattekuru Not true, as I first stated and have clarified in many tweets, I was initially told something will happen by the 23rd.
@kakattekuru That being said, it looks like it'll probably happen sooner.

By the 23rd.

Beat me to it. So I suppose that 6 more characters is the limit.

The limit is technically infinite on the 3DS as they can add pages for 3000 characters if they wanted to. It's the Wii U that basically has a hard cap on characters.

Although I was assuming we'd get 4-6 more anyway, so this works out with my thoughts. I don't think we'll get characters ongoing for the entire lifetime of Smash 4, I think late life Smash will mostly be balance, Mii hats, and simple stages or Brawl ports.

Boss Doggie

They should also auto fix the character lineup

Don't think there was ever a real deadline in the rumor talk other than October. This week just made a lot of sense on account of the Splatoon murmurs. Some people have been suggesting some dates over than others. At least three people I know who got to find out about this rumor as well suggested "a couple of weeks", and this was before all of us, including some of the rumor dudes, started posting date assumptions.

I will say ever since I stopped anticipating things time has flown by much faster for me lol.

But hey, at least Nikki nailed the Splatoon estimate - she said that the game was going to need an update before next Friday and it got one.

hahah that's a good policy

jph139

So we've got about two weeks for the biggest rumors (Inklings, Shovel Knight) to basically sink-or-swim? Exciting.

I kinda hope there's nothing, just to see the world burn.

Neoxon

That lines up with what was said by Stealth & Sean. So yeah, the news is definitely Smash-related.

So we've got about two weeks for the biggest rumors (Inklings, Shovel Knight) to basically sink-or-swim? Exciting.

I kinda hope there's nothing, just to see the world burn.
One week for the Roger/Stealth/Sean rumor, two for the Shovel Knight rumor.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They should include a shitty mechanism for Inkling for stages with body of waters (Pirate Ship and Delfino Isle) If they touch waters, they would get instant knock out.

They should include a shitty mechanism for Inkling for stages with body of waters (Pirate Ship and Delfino Isle) If they touch waters, they would get instant knock out.

Charizard and Sonic seem to have no issue swimming, even if they wouldn't be able to. And Greninja shouldn't be able to drown.

They don't really maintain canon when dealing with swimming.

Delfino would basically be unplayable for Inklings.

NotLiquid

I kind of want to speculate a bit about movesets again.

Setting aside whether the rumor is true or not I wonder how Inklings would actually operate in terms of moveset. I'm thinking Mega Man is the closest comparison in terms of combining several weapons into one arsenal. That said, even though it's easy to just adapt several weapons (i.e forward smash being a Blaster etc.), the big question is how the Inkling's signature trait would be utilized - Squid form. Would it just be used as a dodge maneuver? Or would there be a way to actually lay down ink that you can move in? Does the latter pose a risk in 8 player Smash or 3DS in terms of technical limitations?

I imagine Sakurai could do great stuff with the Inklings since the potential is endless (as he does with virtually every other character's move set) but funnily enough they pose some of the biggest questions in how to translate their abilities.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They should also auto fix the character lineup

hahah that's a good policy

Of course, it's a best policy.

I hope that they would fix the character selection when they are done with dlc.

BjQ7GVx.png

As I expected, 4 characters would be great. It would be even more amazing if we actually getting 6 more characters. That would push the roster numbers to 61!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Charizard and Sonic seem to have no issue swimming, even if they wouldn't be able to. And Greninja shouldn't be able to drown.

They don't really maintain canon when dealing with swimming.

Delfino would basically be unplayable for Inklings.

My friend, I was being sarcastic.

Edited: I'm Smash fanatic so I already knew those details! XD

Neiteio

Six characters (in order of reveal)

- Wolf returns, given a Roy-style overhaul in time for Star Fox Zero

- Ice Climbers are dramatically reworked to still function as a team on both 3DS and WiiU

- Inklings arrive, in male and female, with Inkopolis stage that goes underground to Octo Valley

- King K. Rool appears, a surprisingly fast heavyweight (think Wario)

- Shovel Knight, his announcement timed with details of JPN release of game

- Snake: "Kept you waiting, huh?" Turns out Konami likes free money

Clov

Eh, I'm not going to get hyped. I mean, we are due for a Nintendo Direct soon since it's been so long, but I don't want to get all excited and have it turn out to be nothing.

Six characters (in order of reveal)

- Wolf returns, given a Roy-style overhaul in time for Star Fox Zero

- Ice Climbers are dramatically reworked to still function as a team on both 3DS and WiiU

- Inklings arrive, in male and female, with Inkopolis stage that goes underground to Octo Valley

- King K. Rool appears, a surprisingly fast heavyweight (think Wario)

- Shovel Knight, his announcement timed with details of JPN release of game

- Snake: "Kept you waiting, huh?" Turns out Konami likes free money

Now this would be great! I'd be perfectly satisfied with the roster if this happened. I won't expect this much, though.

Neiteio, replace SK with a Rhythm Heaven rep and we're golden.

- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Inklings
- Chorus Kids
- K. Rool
- Snake

I would die. I don't know about Snake's likelihood but I'd welcome him back

Hello.

Banned
BjQ7GVx.png

Most people probably don't notice this, but the Wii U's character selection tiles were actually reduced in width with the update of Roy, Lucas and Ryu. It wasn't necessary but they did it anyway. So yeah, they'll probably do the same for the 3DS.

Yeah, if anything it was Roy who got a Wolf-style overhaul.

Not even close, Roy got more a Toon Link overhaul lol.
If you gave Wolf a Roy-like overhaul, Wolf would be more of a clone than less of one. And again, Wolf is not a clone, he's not even a "clone". :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Neiteio, replace SK with a Rhythm Heaven rep and we're golden.

- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Inklings
- Chorus Kids
- K. Rool
- Snake

I would die. I don't know about Snake's likelihood but I'd welcome him back

- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Inklings
- Chorus Kids
- Dixie Kong
- Bomberman

Now that is better.

Yeah, if anything it was Roy who got a Wolf-style overhaul.

I'm definitely support either rosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom