• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopWOOP

Personal wants:
- Inkling (cartoony ink-based weapons potential, booya)
- Dixie Kong (hair-based fighter, booya)
- Anthony Higgs (ice guns, booya)
- Takamaru* (old school ninjutsu, booya)
- Wacky Rhythm Heaven inspired fighter (rhythm heaven in general, booya)
- Last 3rd party guest fighter (Simon Belmont, booya)

I mean I'm alright with Wolf or Bomberman or whatever really, but those listed appearing would be absolutely rad to me.

*Any retro representation would make me booya honestly

Considering the rumour referred to a trio character, it makes perfect sense to think that they were cut from the game for being too difficult to make work on the 3DS. The validity of the rumour is made stronger by the fact that we got music from Rhythm Heaven and that there was a series icon for Rhythm Heaven in the game's data (one that we've not seen yet - if it was non-character, don't you think that we would have seen it in the trophy gallery?).

Neoxon

Six characters...

1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf
3. Snake
4. Pichu
5. Shovel Knight
6. Inklings

Rumored newcomers, plus last of the vets.
Unless Sakurai ditches his roster parity deal (which likely won't happen considering how well the 3DS version sold), the Ice Climbers won't happen. Plus I'm pretty sure we're due for a ballot character or two.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really? Ah, I thought you would've appreciated a super-ripped and shirtless version of Wolf.

I'll tell Sakurai to cancel the design the next time we breakfast.

(Sakurai likes the French toast sticks and hash browns at Burger King)

Wolf in speedos would be better but I'm fine with what we have~

Six characters...

1. Ice Climbers
2. Wolf
3. Snake
4. Pichu
5. Shovel Knight
6. Inklings

Rumored newcomers, plus last of the vets.

Pokemon-The-First-Movie-Squirtle-Crying-GIF.gif

tumblr_ljatxfvBuN1qhtqp3o1_500.gif

I couldn't find an Ivysaur one lol

Unless Sakurai ditches his roster parity deal (which likely won't happen considering how well the 3DS version sold), the Ice Climbers won't happen. Plus I'm pretty sure we're due for a ballot character or two.

Sakurai can rework the character, and there's really no evidence that he's opposed to doing so

Why is this so hard

Neoxon

Considering the rumour referred to a trio character, it makes perfect sense to think that they were cut from the game for being too difficult to make work on the 3DS. The validity of the rumour is made stronger by the fact that we got music from Rhythm Heaven and that there was a series icon for Rhythm Heaven in the game's data (one that we've not seen yet - if it was non-character, don't you think that we would have seen it in the trophy gallery?).
That would depend on the nature of how the Chorus Kids acted in-game. In Rhythm Heaven, they're supposed to act as one (unless you fucked up, as you control the third Chorus Kid). Plus when their simplistic nature is factored in, it lends credence to the idea that their removal was more about time constraints than anything else.

Sakurai can rework the character, and there's really no evidence that he's opposed to doing so

Why is this so hard
Reworking the Ice Climbers into a solo Ice Climber is entirely possible. But the post referred to them as plural. Plus I doubt that they'd screw over the best-selling version of Smash 4.

I don't even remember if Ivysaur even ever appeared in the anime lol.

I guess that's what happens when the only reason you exist in Smash is to add a gimmick to Charizard.

Also I don't know why just because Chorus Kids haven't shown up yet that means we aren't getting them or another RH rep

I mean I kinda get the sentiment but it could easily be they're still working on them and tuning them up

Reworking the Ice Climbers into a solo Ice Climber is entirely possible. But the post referred to them as plural. Plus I doubt that they'd screw over the best-selling version of Smash 4.

I think people saying "Ice Climbers" mean "Popo/Nana at all in some capacity"

Further, the fact that the only enemies from Smash Run that come from series not represented by a character are the Polar Bear and Sneaky Spirit says to me that Chorus Kids were planned at one point.

Neiteio

Pokemon-The-First-Movie-Squirtle-Crying-GIF.gif

tumblr_ljatxfvBuN1qhtqp3o1_500.gif

I couldn't find an Ivysaur one lol
Honestly, I'd love to have Squirtle and Ivysaur back. When I made my "list of six," I left them out merely because we have a lot of Pokeymanz. (Albeit still a smaller percent of the overall roster than Brawl's rep vs. its roster)

Squirtle and Ivysaur were two of my favorite fighters to use in Brawl. Ivysaur was like an anti-air tank with the vertical seed-shooting move, and Squirtle was like a ninja with Surf and the shell-sliding move.

Dr. Buni

They would buy Ashley, Syrup, and Sammi.
Most people don't know who Sami is :(
And I'll keep trying to educate at least the people here on GAF. If it was only one person who stops thinking of Wolf as a clone after explaining to them that he isn't, I consider my effort to be successful.
Keep fighting the good fight!
I don't know why people are still clinging to that RH rep rumour. If it was going to happen it would have happened a long time ago.
I just want a RH rep. Isn't that allowed?
I want Blastoise and Venusaur. We need some bigger characters!
I'd to love have Venusaur in Smash. I want to know how Sakurai would design a heavy weight character who walks on all fours.

Neiteio

I'd to love have Venusaur in Smash. I want to know how Sakurai would design a heavy weight character who walks on all fours.
I want to see Venusaur actually fit on some of the narrower platforms.

Venusaur is so wide that I suspect his legs would be hovering over thin air when standing on some platforms.

TDLink

I just want a RH rep. Isn't that allowed?

Of course. Some people just "want" them because of that rumour though. A few even admit as much by saying stuff like "whichever RH character was planned". I roll my eyes at that type of thing.

If you actually want the character because you like the character, more power to you.

The fact is though they were cut from development (assuming they were actually in development) and now have no greater or lesser probability than any other character.

Neiteio

I laughed during the GameXplain talk where Derrick dismissed Josh's Chibi-Robo idea, saying Chibi-Robo is too obscure... and then Derrick proceeded to suggest Isaac.

And it was a very foppish laugh, too. I leaned back and held my tea to my lips and went, "Isaac? OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!"

To be planned suggests explicitly that they have greater chances than other people.

1. It demonstrates that Sakurai is interested in making a character based on the series, but simply couldn't make it work. It wouldn't be the first time that a character is added to the game despite not working in a previous game.

2. As a result of the rumour, a lot more people are voting for RH characters in the ballot than they normally would have.

Consider for a moment that the Pokemon in Smash (at least the first gen) are generally based on their Stadium models and animations

And then consider this
tn9RS.jpg

Eh, we got Venusaurs in Melee that didn't look high :p

Neiteio

Consider for a moment that the Pokemon in Smash (at least the first gen) are generally based on their Stadium models and animations

And then consider this
http://i.imgur.com/tn9RS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
absolutelydisgusting.jpg

Te be fair, though, Venusaur's current Gen 6/Pokedex Pro model looks great.

Super-solid. Like you want to touch his body. Want to rub your face in it.

Dr. Buni

Of course. Some people just "want" them because of that rumour though. A few even admit as much by saying stuff like "whichever RH character was planned". I roll my eyes at that type of thing.

If you actually want the character because you like the character, more power to you.

The fact is though they were cut from development (assuming they were actually in development) and now have no greater or lesser probability than any other character.
A lot of people didn't want them before because they didn't know Chorus Kids or Rhythm Heaven existed, the series and rhythm games in general aren't that popular in the west. So people wanting them because of the rumor isn't a bad thing in my books. I don't think they have greater chances than other characters for having been considered for Smash in the past, but that is just what I think. Maybe characters that were considered once (Dixie, Chorus Kids, Toon Zelda) do have better chances.
I want to see Venusaur actually fit on some of the narrower platforms.

Venusaur is so wide that I suspect her legs would be hovering over thin air when standing on some platforms.
Damn. Venusaur is too wide D:

It would be immediately clear if Venusaur was a him or her. Chances would be that Venusaur would be male, because male is the "default" Venusaur design.

Ivysaur kind of snuck in as possible female Pokemon because of a secret little part of her model you normally shouldn't be able to see.

Dr. Buni

"When Venusaur is on the battlefield, platforms widen to support her width!"

DONE
I am voting you for the next SSB director.
It would be immediately clear if Venusaur was a him or her. Chances would be that Venusaur would be male, because male is the "default" Venusaur design.

Ivysaur kind of snuck in as possible female Pokemon because of a secret little part of her model you normally shouldn't be able to see.
It seems like you hate the idea of Pokémon characters being female. Considering Ivysaur's Japanese voice, chances are she is indeed female. I wasn't even thinking about her model.

why was Venusaur red-eyed in Stadium? Late-sleeping? Sniffing weed?

I have no idea.

Venusaur is supposed to be a peaceful forest guardian, but Stadium made him look angry and temperamental.

I love Stadium for some of its silly animations. Some Pokemon do some pretty bizarre animations. Or stuff like Crobat flapping his wings like a bird, rather than like a proper bat.

It gave us Mewtwo's cool forward Smash as well! And his jab. And three of his alt colors.

It seems like you hate the idea of Pokémon characters being female. Considering Ivysaur's Japanese voice, chances are she is indeed female. I wasn't even thinking about her model.
I don't really get why you'd think I would be against Pokemon being female.

*meanwhile, at Nintendo of America*

*Reggie runs into the room covered in lipstick marks from the interns*

REGGIE: "What's the ruckus outside?!"

BILL TRINEN: "Sir, you need to have a look."

*the two men peek cautiously through the drawn blinds of the window*

*outside, members of PETA are throwing small children at the windows*

REGGIE: "Why are they pelting us with small children?"

BILL: "It's an ironic protest."

REGGIE: "A protest? Over what?"

BILL: "Well, someone on NeoGAF posted a screenshot from Ice Climber."

REGGIE: "And?"

BILL: "The screenshot showed Popo clubbing a seal."

REGGIE: "Oh, what the @#$%."

BILL: "Yeah. It's pretty bad."

REGGIE: *sigh* "Let me take care of it."

*Reggie pulls out a cell phone and calls Sakurai*

REGGIE: "Yo, Saks... I know you were planning on bringing back Ice Climbers, as a pair... But we need to cancel the character... It's controversial now since someone on GAF posted a seal-clubbing pic."

SAKURAI: "I love clubbing seals."

fark_uhSy9HgMEXafIzNl5Qi75Rj2iH8.jpg

FULL DISCLOSURE:
It was actually rather heart-breaking searching for this picture in Google Images...

It's all about wrap around wings Golbat.

Dodou's "wait, just give me a sec, okay?" hurt animation, where he flies back and lifts one toe up in the air.

Jynx in general. Electrode's and Snorlax's googly eyes. Magnemite and Ton exploding into a million pieces when they die. Slowpoke taking a few seconds to react to anything. Slobro having to be told by Shellder that he's dead.

The announcer mispronouncing names like Ekans

The power behind moves like Hyper Beam. The sky turns deep red and a huge blast comes out with sparks everywhere. Psychic covering the entire screen in a deep blue haze with a quick flash. Explosion blowing up everything. And they had to be flashy like this because you had to be fooled into not noticing each Pokemon only had 2-3 attack animations.

The game had a ton of character. EAD seems to have had a ton of fun making and animating so many different Pokemon. They all had their own unique personality and animation quirks.

Dodou's "wait, just give me a sec, okay?" hurt animation, where he flies back and lifts one toe up in the air.

Jynx in general. Electrode's and Snorlax's googly eyes. Magnemite and Ton exploding into a million pieces when they die. Slowpoke taking a few seconds to react to anything. Slobro having to be told by Shellder that he's dead.

The announcer mispronouncing names like Ekans

The power behind moves like Hyper Beam. The sky turns deep red and a huge blast comes out with sparks everywhere. Psychic covering the entire screen in a deep blue haze with a quick flash. Explosion blowing up everything.

The game had a ton of character. HAL seems to have had a ton of fun making and animating so many different Pokemon. They all had their own unique personality and animation quirks.

Just to add to this, Nidoking's dramatic forward roll of fainting glory.
I want to boot up Stadium 2 now.

As for hopes

Inkling
King Hippo
Tap Girl
Ashley
Sami
Captain Syrup

That'd be the most satisfying roster overall for me

I would buy every single one of these DLC characters more than happily! :D
...except king hippo :p

I'm surprised there hasn't been an Ashley costume, though I don't know what Mii they'd stick it on.
Viridi as a swordfighter doesn't make a lot of sense but at least her staff looks like you could swing it about. None of the mii fighter movesets even remotely suit Ashley and Red :eek:

NeonZ

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/roy-and-ryus-smash-bros.-leaker-says-mario-maker-has-costume-files-for1

Random Talking Bush, the data miner responsible for the leaked information regarding Roy and Ryu in Super Smash. Bros. Wii U and 3DS earlier this year, has discovered some sound clips inside the code for Super Mario Maker with strange implications. These sound clips correspond to character costumes under the names of Balloon Fighter, Mr. Saturn, Popo, Super Mario Bros. 2 Mario, and a mysterious character named "Pink Rabbit" (possibly the mascot of the 3DS Badge Center in Japan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom