• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Not even close, Roy got more a Toon Link overhaul lol.
If you gave Wolf a Roy-like overhaul, Wolf would be more of a clone than less of one. And again, Wolf is not a clone, he's not even a "clone". :p
His specials are all based on Fox's (even if they function and look different), though. You can keep saying he isn't a clone, but a lot of people will still see him as a clone.
I'm definitely support either rosters.
\o/

Btw, I wouldn't mind Isaac instead of Bomberman, as much as I want Bomberman. Dixie and Inklings would be good enough.

georly

Six characters (in order of reveal)

- Wolf returns, given a Roy-style overhaul in time for Star Fox Zero

- Ice Climbers are dramatically reworked to still function as a team on both 3DS and WiiU

- Inklings arrive, in male and female, with Inkopolis stage that goes underground to Octo Valley

- King K. Rool appears, a surprisingly fast heavyweight (think Wario)

- Shovel Knight, his announcement timed with details of JPN release of game

- Snake: "Kept you waiting, huh?" Turns out Konami likes free money

Outside of K rool, this is perfect for me, but i'd settle for k rool if i had to. I'd much rather another zelda person or someone from an untouched IP (I know DK fans feel neglected, but I'm not a DK fan).

Roster 100% w/ snake and ice climbers for me. Anything else is a bonus.

I don't want to be "that guy", but why are we suddenly expecting the Ice Climbers to return?

- King. Rool
- Wolf
- Rhythm Heaven/Dixie Kong
- Inklings
- Shovel Knight
- Another popular third party character

Book it.

Outside of K rool, this is perfect for me, but i'd settle for k rool if i had to. I'd much rather another zelda person or someone from an untouched IP (I know DK fans feel neglected, but I'm not a DK fan).

Neglected is an understatement.

Most people probably don't notice this, but the Wii U's character selection tiles were actually reduced in width with the update of Roy, Lucas and Ryu. It wasn't necessary but they did it anyway. So yeah, they'll probably do the same for the 3DS.

I really hope they shrink the tiles on the 3DS. The loss of 4 pixels of width is not noticeable at all, while an arrow would look bad.

anyway...

- Paper Mario
- Inkling
- Waddle Dee/Shovel Knight/Ballot Character
- Wolf
- Pichu *
- Dry Bowser *

* end of DLC bonus clones

His specials are all based on Fox's (even if they function and look different), though. You can keep saying he isn't a clone, but a lot of people will still see him as a clone.

Then Ike is a clone and people need to see Ike as a clone. It's inconsistent to view Ike as a unique fighter and Wolf as a clone.

I don't want to be "that guy", but why are we suddenly expecting the Ice Climbers to return?

My thinking is that Sakurai would sacrifice the dual mechanic and bring them back solo if they just won't work as a duo. He seems to be going all out on vets and I feel like he'd rather have them back in some form than not at all.

That's what I'm thinking though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was glad to see that we shared the first four characters haha :B

More Donkey Kong Country Presentative is plus to me. I don't care whoever get in. Cranky, Dixie or Rool.

o/

Btw, I wouldn't mind Isaac instead of Bomberman, as much as I want Bomberman. Dixie and Inklings would be good enough.

Bomberman is the best. I love multiplayer feature since it's one of best game to play with friends and family members.

Isaac's chance is pretty much zilch so I don't mind!

That's why I'm telling people to stop saying he's a clone.
If Wolf's moveset was on a character unrelated to Star Fox, nobody would even remotely think of naming him a clone.

Dr. Buni

Inklings, Wolf and Rhythm heaven rep on most lists. \o\ Shame the same can't be said for Dixie Kong.
Bomberman is the best. I love multiplayer feature since it's one of best game to play with friends and family members.

Isaac's chance is pretty much zilch so I don't mind!
Yeah. Super Bomberman 3/4 still are some of my favorite games and some of my best memories of playing multiplayer.
That's why I'm telling people to stop saying he's a clone.
If Wolf's moveset was on a character unrelated to Star Fox, nobody would even remotely think of naming him a clone.
And I am telling you that is pointless, you are wasting your energy :p There are people who think even Lucas is a clone.

No one's expecting them. But Sakurai might find a way if he wants to rework them and bring them back since he knows that fans miss the characters.

Yeah I don't see Sakurai as the kind that is going "Welp we couldn't make them work together so oh well"

I honestly think he's considering/has considered the best way to bring them back. Because I'm in the camp that honestly thinks this will probably be his last Smash at the helm and he wants to go all out.

Then again he always goes all out haha.

I know Mario Maker costumes have little to do with Smash Bros, but I can't shake this weird feeling about the cut solo Popo costume being related to Smash Bros.

And I am telling you that is pointless, you are wasting your energy :p There are people who think even Lucas is a clone.

Animation wise, Lucas is very much a semi-clone. He shares far more animations with Ness than any regular character does with each other (Wolf included).

Neoxon

I'm gonna go with...
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Wolf
  • Chorus Kids/Marshal/Whoever the Intended Rhythm Heaven Rep Was
  • King K. Rool
  • [Insert Other Ballot Character Here]

But Lucas is more of a clone than Wolf. His specials are more similar to Ness' than Wolf's are to Fox's, and he shares more normal moves with Ness (which is not a lot, but more than 0).

Neiteio

You take that back, Wolf is already perfect :mad:
Really? Ah, I thought you would've appreciated a super-ripped and shirtless version of Wolf.

I'll tell Sakurai to cancel the design the next time we breakfast.

(Sakurai likes the French toast sticks and hash browns at Burger King)

Wolf's Brawl portrait was really bad. Super stiff looking and his head was at an awkward angle that made it look very flat.

I remember not liking Wolf at all in the beginning because his portrait was so ugly. He also didn't really look much like the Wolf I remembered from Assault (even if he does look somewhat like it).

By the end of Brawl, Wolf was one of my mains. Imagine my disappointment having two games in a row where one of my mains was cut (Brawl had two! Mewtwo and Doc!)

NotLiquid

If I'd have to hazard a guess

Inkling
Wolf
Shovel Knight
K. Rool
Chorus Kids
Ashley

Now if you'd ask me of how I hope it'd look like;
replace Wolf with Wonder Red

Neiteio

Every time someone suggests solo popo/nana I die a little on the inside.
OK, so get this:

Solo Popo. Solo Nana.

But they're on separate character tabs.

On the opposite sides of the Character Select Screen.

And when they're in the same match, they'll stop and look at each other.

The match then pauses and goes to a cutscene.

Popo looks at Nana and says, "Do I know you from somewhere?"

And then there's a long pause.

And Nana replies: "No... Probably not."

How does that make you feel?

Dr. Buni

But Lucas is more of a clone than Wolf. His specials are more similar to Ness' than Wolf's are to Fox's, and he shares more normal moves with Ness (which is not a lot, but more than 0).
The point is that neither of them are clones and both are and will keep being called clones.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Has anyone made a mockup of how the Wii U CSS would look with six more characters?

I honestly don't see more than four. I imagine this holiday season will be the Smash team's grand finale.

Crayolan

OK, so get this:

Solo Popo. Solo Nana.

But they're on separate character tabs.

On the opposite sides of the Character Select Screen.

And when they're in the same match, they'll stop and look at each other.

The match then pauses and goes to a cutscene.

Popo looks at Nana and says, "Do I know you from somewhere?"

And then there's a long pause.

And Nana replies: "No... Probably not."

How does that make you feel?

iceclimber.gif

Six characters, huh?

- Wolf
- Inkling
- Ice Climbers
- Chorus Men
- King K. Rool
- Slime (Dragon Quest)

The catch is these characters are hidden for the new Super Smash Bros. NX version and will become DLC content for the older games a little time after.

Neiteio

*meanwhile, at Nintendo of America*

*Reggie runs into the room covered in lipstick marks from the interns*

REGGIE: "What's the ruckus outside?!"

BILL TRINEN: "Sir, you need to have a look."

*the two men peek cautiously through the drawn blinds of the window*

*outside, members of PETA are throwing small children at the windows*

REGGIE: "Why are they pelting us with small children?"

BILL: "It's an ironic protest."

REGGIE: "A protest? Over what?"

BILL: "Well, someone on NeoGAF posted a screenshot from Ice Climber."

REGGIE: "And?"

BILL: "The screenshot showed Popo clubbing a seal."

REGGIE: "Oh, what the @#$%."

BILL: "Yeah. It's pretty bad."

REGGIE: *sigh* "Let me take care of it."

*Reggie pulls out a cell phone and calls Sakurai*

REGGIE: "Yo, Saks... I know you were planning on bringing back Ice Climbers, as a pair... But we need to cancel the character... It's controversial now since someone on GAF posted a seal-clubbing pic."

SAKURAI: "I love clubbing seals."

Dr. Buni

It might happen.

1. They could tell who would win the ballot early on.
2. The characters that won might have been already worked on independently by them.
It's a possibility, sure. And the sooner we get them, the better, I think. But I don't see it happening until February or even May 2016.

The point is that neither of them are clones and both are and will keep being called clones.

And I'll keep trying to educate at least the people here on GAF. If it was only one person who stops thinking of Wolf as a clone after explaining to them that he isn't, I consider my effort to be successful.

As for hopes

Inkling
King Hippo
Tap Girl
Ashley
Sami
Captain Syrup

That'd be the most satisfying roster overall for me

I would actually be really into that expansion.

My hopes and dreams:
Wolf
Ridley (or at the very least the marine from Federation Force)
Captain Syrup
Ulala from Space Channel 5
Simon Belmont
Vic Viper

My expectations:
Wolf
Inkling
some other people maybe

That said, I still won't 100% expect any character until they're fully confirmed. :p

TDLink

I don't know why people are still clinging to that RH rep rumour. If it was going to happen it would have happened a long time ago.

If I had to pick 6, there's 3 that are based on what we know and rumours and 3 personal wish fulfillment:

Wolf (Guarantee)
Shovel Knight (Strong Rumours)
Inkling (Rumours, plus I like the choice)
Wonder Red
Isaac
Hades

I'm aware that K Rool or Dixie would probably be in place of one of those though (likely Hades).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom