• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Then I suppose that we could get So-Po as DLC.

A compromise is not good enough for me. Might as well be a newcomer from some game I don't care about. The appeal of ice climbers for me is strictly that they work as a pair. I have zero reverence for their game or characters. That's almost as bad as making ganondorf a captain falcon clone.

Neoxon

A compromise is not good enough for me. Might as well be a newcomer from some game I don't care about. The appeal of ice climbers for me is strictly that they work as a pair. I have zero reverence for their game or characters. That's almost as bad as making ganondorf a captain falcon clone.
At this point, it's either that or no Ice Climbers at all.

Neiteio

http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/u/uh/fark_uhSy9HgMEXafIzNl5Qi75Rj2iH8.jpg?t=U267ZGh-t5R-1i6gmPutIw&f=1445227200[IMG]

FULL DISCLOSURE: [SPOILER]It was actually rather heart-breaking searching for this picture in Google Images...[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
The image you posted was broken. I'm afraid to know what you might've posted.

Okay sorry we have to just disagree and I have to say this line of thinking is insane imo

Just no to this. I prefer them as a pair but I actually do like them as characters and their series so it's a sacrifice that needs to be made.

I love a good 4Chan "leak"

Ok i know nobody is gonna believe,but ey lets still try.I have some inside info about the next smash bros DLC and i know how and in which order they will be released.So lets get started.
1.Inkling is coming this month and it will be revealed in a nintendo direct.
2.Shovel Knight is coming later this year as a indie rep.He is mainly in because he is popular and he represents nintendos nindies thing.
3.Wolf he is coming late december or early next year.
NOTE THESE ARE NOT BALLOT CHARACTERS!
Now for the ballot characters,they are not final this is all the info that is being considered.But these are likley to be made dlc.
1.King K Rool
2.Snake(Now for Snake,Sakurai is considering bringing him back but also with all the buzz with Kojima and Konami he is also considering making Bomberman a replacement.)
All the other things i have no idea about but the thing i can confirm for sure that there will be 6 characters coming.Also there are also talks about bringing an ultimate edition of smash bros to nx.But the problem is Sakurai hates making a series to sequalized and also he feels that he is kinda ripping of people who have bought the dlc on the wii u.But the project is probbably coming sience nintendo wants money and the things that it will include are:
Smash Run,All the 3ds stages and Ice Climbers.The way they will be included is unknown.Thats alll i have to say.

"Let me list out everything the internet wants"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You think they will have the ballot characters ready to release this year?
interest in the Smash ballot outside of Smash communities was very frontloaded. I doubt they were busy making only two stages and Mii costumes for six months. They have to have known who was in the lead months in advance.

Neoxon

interest in the Smash ballot outside of Smash communities was very frontloaded. I doubt they were busy making only two stages and Mii costumes for six months. They have to have known who was in the lead months in advance.
But it's not really about who's in the lead. In all likelihood, Sakurai just pulled the Top 20 at a certain point & picked from whoever stuck out to him the most.

NeonZ

If their appeal to you is strictly gameplay-based, you realize that their chain grabbing would likely be removed here even if they returned as a pair, right?

Neiteio

I can see it now.

*Smash logo appears onscreen*

*cut to a house atop a snowy mountain*

NAGGING WIFE VOICE OFFSCREEN: "Popo!! Did you remember to take out the trash?!"

POPO: *watching TV* "I'll take care of it in a moment."

NANA: "Did you mow the lawn? Did you paint the bathroom?"

POPO: "I'm tired from work, leave me alone."

NANA: "Why are you watching Die Hard for the billionth time? You own it on DVD, why you do watch it whenever it's on TV?"

POPO: "GODDAMMIT BITCH! GET OFF MY BACK!"

NANA: "...I bet that's what she said."

*Popo turns off the TV and slowly turns around*

POPO: "...what?"

NANA: "That's right. Zero Suit Samus. I know what happened last night."

POPO: "I already told you, I was eating out."

NANA: "Oh, you were eating out alright."

POPO: "You know what? Fine. She understands me. You? You're crazy."

*Popo storms out of the room*

*cut to title card*

POPO CUTS THE KNOT!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But it's not really about who's in the lead. In all likelihood, Sakurai just pulled the Top 20 at a certain point & picked from whoever stuck out to him the most.
By in the lead I mean the most mentioned feasible character, I know it's not an actual poll yadda yadda semantics. And I doubt it's top 20. You want to appeal to the mass market, and anything in the double digits would be very fringe.

Neiteio

POPO: Is that a-

NANA: I'm feeling a little a bit adventurous tonight.

*Nana slips on a boot*
Wh... what kind... of b-boot...

1lmu0P6.gif

Neiteio

2.Snake(Now for Snake,Sakurai is considering bringing him back but also with all the buzz with Kojima and Konami he is also considering making Bomberman a replacement.)

This is the most hilarious thing.
I've read this forward and backward and can't make sense of it.

I just feel bad for Bomberman, prisoner to the yakuza at Konami.

To be honest I'm surprised they didn't just split the Ice Climbers up in order to keep them on the roster. It would have been a bummer to be sure, but the original game had you playing as one climber at a time and it would certainly be better than cutting them entirely. Heck, they could even have the other Ice Climber do something cool for the Final Smash ala Chrom. Plus it could be fun to add a little more oomph to the Ice Climber's moveset so make it feel satisfying for a single climber - maybe even add ice effects to more of their attacks, such as smashes?

I don't want Snake back because I don't want Konami associated with Smash Bros. after all its recent garbage. Plus he wouldn't be voiced by David Hayter anymore, so it would barely even be Snake.

Dr. Buni

To be honest I'm surprised they didn't just split the Ice Climbers up in order to keep them on the roster. It would have been a bummer to be sure, but the original game had you playing as one climber at a time and it would certainly be better than cutting them entirely. Heck, they could even have the other Ice Climber do something cool for the Final Smash ala Chrom. Plus it could be fun to add a little more oomph to the Ice Climber's moveset so make it feel satisfying for a single climber - maybe even add ice effects to more of their attacks, such as smashes?

I don't want Snake back because I don't want Konami associated with Smash Bros. after all its recent garbage. Plus he wouldn't be voiced by David Hayter anymore, so it would barely even be Snake.
I am not surprised. Didn't Sakurai say something like he doesn't want to change characters characteristics/movesets too drastically in order to not alienate fans of the character? Which is why Ganondorf hasn't been "decloned" yet.

I am not surprised. Didn't Sakurai say something like he doesn't want to change characters characteristics/movesets too drastically in order to not alienate fans of the character? Which is why Ganondorf hasn't been "decloned" yet.

I mean I get that but cutting them is more alienating than changing them.

At least to me, a fan of Ice Climbers.

Neiteio

Funny thing about Ganondorf is he doesn't feel anything like Captain Falcon anymore. It's obvious he borrowed some moves, but it's a moot point when the handling and execution is so different. Ganondorf is a true tank, bait 'n punish, etc. Captain Falcon goes straight for the jugular.

So I think that in Sakurai's eyes, Ganondorf -is- unique. But yeah, I do recall reading Sakurai doesn't want to alienate his users, so that's probably one reason why the essentials stay the same from one Smash to the next.

With Ice Climbers, them being a pair was what made them special in the first place. I don't think Sakurai would separate them, but I do wonder if it might be possible to rework them so they're still a pair but one that would work within the limitations of the 3DS.

Neiteio

BjQ7GVx.png

Can someone take the above, and using Photoshop magic, add the following:

- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Snake
- Inklings
- King K. Rool
- Shovel Knight

Also, feel free to rearrange the icons so it makes "sense."

Hoping someone can do me this favor. Eager to see what it looks like. Eager to believe.

Neiteio

What's the difference between Popo & Nana and Rosalina & Luma that makes the former more taxing from a CPU standpoint than the latter? The AI partner in each can perform moves, wander, get separated, come back, etc.

What's the difference between Popo & Nana and Rosalina & Luma that makes the former more taxing from a CPU standpoint than the latter? The AI partner in each can perform moves, wander, get separated, come back, etc.
Luma's AI is greatly, greatly simplified in comparison to Nana's. Separated from Popo, Nana is essentially a full CPU character.

Neiteio

But Luma's AI is basically non-existent. It doesn't move or attack on its own.
So how much or how often did Nana attack on her own? How much did she track opponents? I'm honest in all these questions. I don't remember much of how she worked separate from Popo.

I'm trying to get a baseline idea of how complex she is. I wonder if she could be scaled back to something akin to Olimar's Pikmin, etc.

Actually, the best way to "rework" Nana might be to just give her a separate HP bar, and have her always with Popo no matter what. While she's around, you get twice as many hits (i.e. two hammer hits instead of one), but if you keep letting her take the bulk of the damage (getting hit from behind, etc), she'll disappear until your next stock, and in the meantime you have to make do with halved attacks (i.e. one hammer hit instead of two).

This way, no AI is needed since she never wanders separate from you. It simply doubles your attacks until she takes too much damage and disappears.

I would buy every single one of these DLC characters more than happily! :D
...except king hippo :p

You monster

I don't even remember if Ivysaur even ever appeared in the anime lol.

I guess that's what happens when the only reason you exist in Smash is to add a gimmick to Charizard.

There's actually an episode with a whole bunch of them, only issue is that none of them are crying

Unpopular opinion: I'd rather not have the Ice Climbers at all if they can''t even have their unique gimmick. If they really were made into a single character, then that'd probably mean they would be stuck like that for the rest of Smash Bro's lifespan. It's why I can't see Pokemon Trainer being revisited with Charizard being his own character slot now.

So, yeah, I can wait like five years. By that point, Nintendo probably should have a handheld strong enough to run both ICs at once, especially considering the N3DS is already ahead of the original model.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Unless Sakurai ditches his roster parity deal (which likely won't happen considering how well the 3DS version sold), the Ice Climbers won't happen. Plus I'm pretty sure we're due for a ballot character or two.

Let not getting into this, Neoxon please. We already know that but they just want to support Ice Climbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom