• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
Whoa. Didn't expect to get back to see Neiteio was banned.

Well going back into this thread...I can see why he did...

Anyway back on topic: Smash 4 costumes for characters is a huge missed opportunity. It's one big reason why early Brawl modding was so popular. I'd love a Mr. L skin for Luigi lol.

NotLiquid

It seems the Monday maintenance is mostly to tie in with the Splatoon update.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkiP4UQJQ

This is about Splatoon's maintenance time which is separate from the overall Nintendo maintenance that's being performed earlier. Nothing has changed.

If there isn't a Direct, then at the very least we know the leakers were talking out of their respective asses.

None of them said anything about a Direct. That said since Roger put "before 23rd" as any kind of deadline for whatever major announcement they're talking about, then yes, the rumor will be quashed if nothing happens next week.

kirby_fox

Banned
Curious if anyone is expecting an update for Mewtwo to add customs for free soon, considering his amiibo comes out in the US on Nov. 13. Would just feel odd to see Mewtwo not having as many options for his amiibo.

Maybe even update to get customs unlocked easier or completely unlocked.

While I know tournaments have abandoned customs due to how hard it is to get things unlocked, making them all unlocked could really assist in that area.

NotLiquid

Curious if anyone is expecting an update for Mewtwo to add customs for free soon, considering his amiibo comes out in the US on Nov. 13. Would just feel odd to see Mewtwo not having as many options for his amiibo.

Maybe even update to get customs unlocked easier or completely unlocked.

While I know tournaments have abandoned customs due to how hard it is to get things unlocked, making them all unlocked could really assist in that area.

It's still possible to change an Amiibo in terms of equipment and just the play style they adopt. While it is a bummer that they don't have customs as the lack of them is something that removes a little bit of value, I don't expect them to be patched in. Would be a pleasant surprise though.

It's still possible to change an Amiibo in terms of equipment and just the play style they adopt. While it is a bummer that they don't have customs as the lack of them is something that removes a little bit of value, I don't expect them to be patched in. Would be a pleasant surprise though.

I'm just still amazed that they never thought to allow amiibos to unlock characters (you'd be able to unlock them via buying them as dlc still too, but scanning in the amiibo would allow you to play as that character on systems that dont have them) or at the very least store setups you might want to play as (so you can scan in your amiibo and it'd go to your saved profile with buttons and whatever color and customs you have set)
Such a wasted opportunity :/

I'm just still amazed that they never thought to allow amiibos to unlock characters (you'd be able to unlock them via buying them as dlc still too, but scanning in the amiibo would allow you to play as that character on systems that dont have them) or at the very least store setups you might want to play as (so you can scan in your amiibo and it'd go to your saved profile with buttons and whatever color and customs you have set)
Such a wasted opportunity :/

The thing is, it wouldn't really mean that much in the end anyway, considering that unlocking characters is incredibly easy in Smash 4, especially in the Wii U game where there's only like eight hidden fighters.

Hey, how's everyone doing? I've been off gaf for like a year, and I haven't been following Smash news that closely, so I thought I'd check back in. It's cool to see the same folks are all still here.

From what I gather, we've got fake leaks, hype for Directs and reveals which probably won't happen, pining for Ice Climbers, and Beelzebufo is banned again. Some things never change.

Hey, how's everyone doing? I've been off gaf for like a year, and I haven't been following Smash news that closely, so I thought I'd check back in. It's cool to see the same folks are all still here.

From what I gather, we've got fake leaks, hype for Directs and reveals which probably won't happen, pining for Ice Climbers, and Beelzebufo is banned again. Some things never change.

Sakurai still has a hold on GAFs reigns.

Welcome back though!

Neoxon

We don't know if the rumored reveal is fake or not, yet. As for Beelzebufo, he got banned on the Street Fighter V thread a few weeks ago.

As for what's new, Sakurai still has us by the balls.

Potentially controversial opinion: Bandanna Dee is one of the only characters I actively do not want in the game, and I consider myself to be a big Kirby fan. People think he "deserves" to be in Smash because he was playable in Return to Dream Land, and I'm like "So?" Kiddy Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong have all been playable at some point or another, but it's clear that none of them are super important. I'd argue that Kiddy Kong is more important to his series than Bandanna Dee is. The only thing he has going for him is that he's somewhat popular in Japan. Japan likes cute things. Big deal. "He has a spear, so unique!" The Bandanna Dee thread on SmashBoards is just the same 5-10 people shitposting over and over again. I'd much rather have Adeleine/Ado from Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64.

There's only one Kirby character we need:
latest

Why would it? You don't play as Amiibo.

It's fine just working as a customizable AI of the character who you can fight against.
I can play as my skylanders so I'm not really sure what your initial point is :eek:
As for it just being a weird AI gimmick being 'fine': it might be fine for you but it's pretty useless to me.

The thing is, it wouldn't really mean that much in the end anyway, considering that unlocking characters is incredibly easy in Smash 4, especially in the Wii U game where there's only like eight hidden fighters.
I meant mostly for DLC but it's never really a question of ease but rather time. If you play Lucina and go round to a friends who's not unlocked much of anything it's never something you consider adding to the experience. Being able to scan in my Lucy and just play would be way better :3

Should scanning amiibo™ for DLC characters unlock them?
I think it should, until you back out of the menu or close the game. It means you'd have to scan the amiibo you want every time you turn the game on but it's not that big a hassle just once per session and it'd be really handy for tournament setups :3

Long time no see. Welcome back :3

Potentially controversial opinion: Bandanna Dee is one of the only characters I actively do not want in the game, and I consider myself to be a big Kirby fan. People think he "deserves" to be in Smash because he was playable in Return to Dream Land, and I'm like "So?" Kiddy Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong have all been playable at some point or another, but it's clear that none of them are super important. I'd argue that Kiddy Kong is more important to his series than Bandanna Dee is. The only thing he has going for him is that he's somewhat popular in Japan. Japan likes cute things. Big deal. "He has a spear, so unique!" The Bandanna Dee thread on SmashBoards is just the same 5-10 people shitposting over and over again. I'd much rather have Adeleine/Ado from Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64.
I don't think it's all that controversial a position. I think most people don't really know much about bandana dee.

Sakurai still has a hold on GAFs reigns.
Sakurai still has us by the balls.
Dm1QpOl.jpg
<( YES! YES! THIS IS DELICIOUS! )

NotLiquid

Asking for Bandanna Dee is basically like asking for Blue Toad to be playable so I don't disagree. It'd be an incredibly boring choice.

NeonZ

Potentially controversial opinion: Bandanna Dee is one of the only characters I actively do not want in the game, and I consider myself to be a big Kirby fan. People think he "deserves" to be in Smash because he was playable in Return to Dream Land, and I'm like "So?" Kiddy Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong have all been playable at some point or another, but it's clear that none of them are super important.

Bandana Dee also was playable in Rainbow Curse and has various minor appearances in other games. I only realized now that he was only playable in Return to Dream Land though, as far as the standard platformer games go. I guess I was just thinking about Rainbow Curse, since, unlike Kirby, he keeps his standard form and abilities there.

Clov

Have to agree about Bandanna Dee. Absolutely boring choice. To me it's like asking for a Goomba in a boot to be playable.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My stance with Bandana Dee is neutral but I always felt that Kirby representative is already perfect enough with Kirby Trinity.

I'm telling you all, don't expect anything until Nintendo's investor meeting on the 30th.

No one would listen to us. :V

Hey Gonzales! It has been awhile and it was nice to see you again! Yep, SmashGAF will never change. I could promise you same thing would happens during future Smash. :p

Sponge

Banned
If this was before Kirby's Return to Dreamland released, I wouldn't understand the want for Bandanna Dee either. Since that game he's showed up in every game since through cameos and other playable spots. HAL seems to be pushing him as a new recurring character in the franchise. His play style in Return to Dreamland would translate well into Smash. I personally think he'd be a lot of fun.

Asking for Bandanna Dee is basically like asking for Blue Toad to be playable so I don't disagree. It'd be an incredibly boring choice.

This is a good analogy, actually. They're both filler characters for multiplayer games. Hopefully the colored Toads are relics of the past now that they've added Peach and Rosalina to a recent platformer.

Bandana Dee also was playable in Rainbow Curse and has various minor appearances in other games. I only realized now that he was only playable in Return to Dream Land though, as far as the standard platformer games go. I guess I was just thinking about Rainbow Curse, since, unlike Kirby, he keeps his standard form and abilities there.
True enough. Hal stated in an interview that "The people who join multiplayer have one responsibility, and that is to protect Kirby. To me, I thought only one character really suited that responsibility, and that was Waddle Dee."

This suggests to me that the role of protecting Kirby is beneath Meta Knight and Dedede, so why should a generic Waddle Dee be able to fight against them in Smash if its job is to protect and serve?

Daroach is pretty cool and Squeak Squad isn't that bad of a game. But I would prefer Adoleine as a 4th Kirby rep... buuuut I don't think Kirby should get a 4th rep, tbh.
I don't either. It seems like most people want Bandanna Dee so they can fill a "fourth Kirby rep" quota, when franchises like Donkey Kong are still struggling to get proper representation.

I want Adeleine because a character who has magic paint is such an awesome idea

Isn't fully owned by Nintendo.

Pretty sure Pokemon company is the reason we don't get shinies. They same to be fairly militant about this kinda stuff.

1. Is that verifiable? I mean can Square Enix really own "punk Yoshi"?

2. I don't mean just colours though, I want Pikachu to sparkle

Clov

Square-Enix partially owns all the original Mario RPG characters, don't they? In that case it would make sense if Nintendo needed their go-ahead to use Boshi. It's too bad, since that would be a great costume.

Square-Enix partially owns all the original Mario RPG characters, don't they? In that case it would make sense if Nintendo needed their go-ahead to use Boshi. It's too bad, since that would be a great costume.

Would that apply to characters based on Nintendo concepts though? Nintendo retained all of the Kongs after all

Dr. Buni

If this was before Kirby's Return to Dreamland released, I wouldn't understand the want for Bandanna Dee either. Since that game he's showed up in every game since through cameos and other playable spots.
That doesn't justify bringing him to Smash, though.

Bandana Dee, from a fighter perspective, could be an interesting addition. But why a 4th Kirby rep? I love the Kirby series and its characters, but it's perfectly well represented in Smash. If other series weren't struggling to be proper represented, I would support 100% a 4th Kirby rep, but that isn't the case.
Have to agree about Bandanna Dee. Absolutely boring choice. To me it's like asking for a Goomba in a boot to be playable.
But Goombella would a neat addition to the roster, though.
Better than yet another Mario

Vivian > Goombella tho

Pizza

I completely agree. Kirby is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises and I feel like it's pretty adequately represented. We have the protagonist and the two most important recurring characters.

Bandana Dee should be an assist trophy if anything.

If bandana Dee gets in over DK Jr or pretty much anyone else I'd be pretty let down.

Edit: it's also garbage that more characters don't have alt costumes. That's easy easy money sitting on the table. Why Miis are the costume cash cows is beyond me. I'd buy Ms Pac man and Mega man Volnutt costumes in a heartbeat. Or Meowser. Or anyone, really. Smash 4 is frustrating.

Dr. Buni

The biggest argument towards Bandana Dee in Smash 4 seem to be the removal of the Waddle Dee Toss move from Dedede's moveset. I think it was because it would be too taxing for Smash 3DS, others think it was because Bandana Dee is planned to be playable, at some point.

Instant main material for me :3
Of course, she is a girl :p

Sponge

Banned
That doesn't justify bringing him to Smash, though.

Bandana Dee, from a fighter perspective, could be an interesting addition. But why a 4th Kirby rep? I love the Kirby series and its characters, but it's perfectly well represented in Smash. If other series weren't struggling to be proper represented, I would support 100% a 4th Kirby rep, but that isn't the case.

I can agree with this. The Kirby series does feel represented well in Smash already. I'd rather see other characters from series that feel like they're missing reps before another Kirby one.

The biggest argument towards Bandana Dee in Smash 4 seem to be the removal of the Waddle Dee Toss move from Dedede's moveset. I think it was because it would be too taxing for Smash 3DS, others think it was because Bandana Dee is planned to be playable, at some point.

Waddle Dee shows up in one of Dedede's victory animations, and Dedede is carried into the arena by a group of Waddle Dees. I think the answer is pretty obvious.

We still have people who insist that Isaac's Assist Trophy was removed because they plan on making him playable. More like the 3DS couldn't handle it and he wasn't important enough to salvage.

Dr. Buni

Looking at the roster, the only series I feel that "need" more representation are DK and Metroid, but in the case of Metroid, it is either Ridley or nothing (since Dark Samus is an AT for now). DK could have Dixie and/or King K. Rool and maybe they could fit DK Jr. as a clone as well, because why not? Series like Pikmin and WarioWare don't "need" more representation, but I wouldn't be opposed to Captain Brittany (with Rock Pikmin and Bulbmin in her moveset) and Ashley or Mona being added to the roster, though Ashley is also stuck in AT hell for now. Animal Crossing is fine the way it is, but I dig the idea of Isabelle as a Villager clone of sorts.
Waddle Dee shows up in one of Dedede's victory animations, and Dedede is carried into the arena by a group of Waddle Dees. I think the answer is pretty obvious.
Yeah, but that doesn't stop the argument from being used by Dee supporters.
We still have people who insist that Isaac's Assist Trophy was removed because they plan on making him playable. More like the 3DS couldn't handle it and he wasn't important enough to salvage.
I do wonder why they cut Jill's AT. My best bet is that she is so irrelevant, they didn't want to create HD textures for her.
Considering my main in Soul Calibur was Nightmare, Zasalamel for Soul Calibur 3 and Dampierre for Soul Calibur V that's not really as important to me as people might think :p
I only said that because you once said a certain character (I don't remember who) being a girl was a "plus" for you ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom