• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ man and that's this thread alone?

That poll must be like

chaos-anchorman-o.gif
On a side note that fight scene was awesome. It was like a real life smash fight with items

There are like five Smash threads right now. We will never escape the cycle.

Every Direct from now until they stop making DLC will probably be Smash news.

Although I don't think we'll get more than 4 "proper" characters, and a couple of clones. Characters really do seem to take a lot of work and eventually the CSS is going to get obnoxiously crowded.

Maybe even a rotation of "big/small" characters
Mewtwo: Big, needed to be 100% remade, entirely unique
Lucas: Small, same body as Ness, similar properties, similar specials.
Wolf: Big, needed to be entirely remade, barely anything can be taken from Fox.
Roy: Small, can be a clone like Doc, with some Melee flair, but ultimately more of a clone.
Snake/Newcomer: Big, needs to be entirely redone, can't borrow from other characters easily
Pichu: Last DLC, very small release. Comes with Plusle/Minun costumes as well.

Something like that maybe? 6 DLC characters. However, there's only 4 spaces on the 3DS before needing a second page, so we might not get the 2 clones. I have no idea how the Wii U CSS will look with 6 additions, might be too crowded.

Ryce

Every Direct from now until they stop making DLC will probably be Smash news.

Although I don't think we'll get more than 4 "proper" characters, and a couple of clones. Characters really do seem to take a lot of work and eventually the CSS is going to get obnoxiously crowded.

Maybe even a rotation of "big/small" characters
Mewtwo: Big, needed to be 100% remade, entirely unique
Lucas: Small, same body as Ness, similar properties, similar specials.
Wolf: Big, needed to be entirely remade, barely anything can be taken from Fox.
Roy: Small, can be a clone like Doc, with some Melee flair, but ultimately more of a clone.
Snake/Newcomer: Big, needs to be entirely redone, can't borrow from other characters easily
Pichu: Last DLC, very small release. Comes with Plusle/Minun costumes as well.

Something like that maybe? 6 DLC characters. However, there's only 4 spaces on the 3DS before needing a second page, so we might not get the 2 clones. I have no idea how the Wii U CSS will look with 6 additions, might be too crowded.
The DLC isn't going to consist entirely of veterans. I would bet on that.

The DLC isn't going to consist entirely of veterans. I would bet on that.

Vets are easy to make and easy to sell.

I'm hesitant to think we'll be getting any new comers, especially since we'll probably only get 2-3 more DLC characters and one of those is certainly Wolf.

Given the choice between two characters that would sell roughly the same, but one was easier to make and wouldn't take a character from Smash 5, don't you think they'd focus more on a vet?

Maybe one of the top 5 voted new comers... but chances are there are going to be a bunch of vets in the top 5 as well.

Vets are easy to make and easy to sell.

I'm hesitant to think we'll be getting any new comers, especially since we'll probably only get 2-3 more DLC characters and one of those is certainly Wolf.

Given the choice between two characters that would sell roughly the same, but one was easier to make and wouldn't take a character from Smash 5, don't you think they'd focus more on a vet?

Maybe one of the top 5 voted new comers... but chances are there are going to be a bunch of vets in the top 5 as well.
I think we'll get one or two newcomers, but I don't believe we'll see them till next year. Veterans don't take any longer than newcomers -- minus any technical considerations. Sakurai already has the character's moves laid out by the time he decides on a character.

Ryce

Not really, because the whole "taking a character from Smash 5" argument is absurd. Sakurai probably wouldn't have opened the fighter ballot if he wasn't willing to include newcomers as DLC.

Village

I'm sure there will be another Smash Bros., but Sakurai is about five years away from even thinking about it.

Or less, smash is usually a console each affair.

Nintendo is working on their next thing, while i don't expect in next year, they could cut the wii u off in less than 5

I guess that job posting for smash 6 from last year was for the dlc team
More then likely. Which is really interesting if true since Sakurai said there were no plans for DLC last year. Granted it could have been similar to the discussions he and Nintendo had before development of the base game(s) where he was willing to do it so long as Nintendo provided the manpower.

The characters are great and all, but I'm really excited to see what other content is on the horizon. Stages, items, trophies, new challenges, music; there are so many possibilities. Hopefully there will be cross-promotion between Nintendo''s newer games and Smash, because Id love to see a Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Wii U stage; or even reaching back to newer games like Tropical Freeze and 3D World/Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Not really, because the whole "taking a character from Smash 5" argument is absurd. Sakurai probably wouldn't have opened the fighter ballot if he wasn't willing to include newcomers as DLC.

I'm in the camp that doesn't even think the poll matters at all and most of the DLC characters are either already planned out or just straight up done and waiting for release.

Unless some surprise horse pulls out a miracle (like Sonic in Brawl), chances are they already have a good idea of what the poll is going to look and have the next few years planned out. Or done already.

He's done this poll every Smash game, and every time the roster that was planned before the poll basically lined up exactly with the poll, except once with Sonic, and they added him later, but that's Sonic. A pretty big deal of a character. And with Ganon, who was a clone they added later after his body worked with Falcon and he did well in the poll. Or Dark Pit, whose just a clone. So the only instances where the original plan deviated from the poll was with Sonic and some clones.

Or the poll winners end up in the next game (Bowser (64), Mewtwo (64) and Dedede (Melee) for example). This, I believe, is more the intention of the poll. Which is why I'm reserved about New Comer DLC

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Honestly I think it's more likely Nintendo want to find out which Amiibo people would pay the most for. :p

But yeah, count me in as a person a bit---disturbed---by how a lot of people are taking this too seriously and seem to think the poll result is a direct 1:1 correlation as to who gets in as DLC, like Sakurai HAS to put the winner in. Thought it was obvious this poll is most likely lip service, and a fun little thing for Nintendo fans to just express which character they like, not a serious competition.

More then likely. Which is really interesting if true since Sakurai said there were no plans for DLC last year. Granted it could have been similar to the discussions he and Nintendo had before development of the base game(s) where he was willing to do it so long as Nintendo provided the manpower.

The characters are great and all, but I'm really excited to see what other content is on the horizon. Stages, items, trophies, new challenges, music; there are so many possibilities. Hopefully there will be cross-promotion between Nintendo''s newer games and Smash, because Id love to see a Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Wii U stage; or even reaching back to newer games like Tropical Freeze and 3D World/Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Agreed. I think at this point I'm more excited for the chance of getting stages as well. Would love to see a tropical freeze stage or treasure tracker stage.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm surprised that they didn't announce any stages for Mewtwo and Lucas, so I'm pretty sure that we are going to get Stage Bundle like Mii Costumes Bundle.

I'm still not sure about new challenges but I'm up of it if they are not going to force us to redo ALL characters again for DLC challenges.

Imagine challenges after last dlc characters asked us to redo Classic and All Stars with ALL characters including DLC characters.

Durden77

Theres really no point in voting for him or any Konami
or Hudson
character I feel since the whole thing with Konami destroying Kojima its obvious that its Konami's fault that Snake isn't in. (Tho I thought that already for months.) And with Sakurai and Kojima beng friends, Sakurai probably wouldn't add any Konami character due to them shaming his friend with all of the whole A Hideo Kojima removal. Sad but imo this is likely the closest to the truth.

Next new IP address I end up at, I'm voting for him again.

Revven

More then likely. Which is really interesting if true since Sakurai said there were no plans for DLC last year.

I wouldn't take whatever Sakurai says as absolute gospel. Devs deny things all the time to keep things a secret. He's also one man, one man who can be swayed/persuaded /influenced to do what he might not want to do.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wish there was a way we could see how many people are voting for which characters.

Ryce

He's done this poll every Smash game, and every time the roster that was planned before the poll basically lined up exactly with the poll, except once with Sonic, and they added him later, but that's Sonic. A pretty big deal of a character.
I agree, but the existence of a post-release survey feels like Nintendo trying to manufacture excitement around the DLC. My initial concern was whether or not Sakurai was going to commit to DLC beyond Mewtwo, but now that a big DLC campaign has been confirmed it seems foolish to not expect a single newcomer. I couldn't think of a more anticlimactic DLC lineup than Pichu and Roy. Sakurai is better than that.

Neoxon

Theres really no point in voting for him or any Konami
or Hudson
character I feel since the whole thing with Konami destroying Kojima its obvious that its Konami's fault that Snake isn't in. (Tho I thought that already for months.) And with Sakurai and Kojima beng friends, Sakurai probably wouldn't add any Konami character due to them shaming his friend with all of the whole A Hideo Kojima removal. Sad but imo this is likely the closest to the truth.
This is why I didn't bother with Snake. At best, we should put our hopes into a character who can act as the true spiritual successor to Snake.

Neoxon

Zalman

I hope two things come out of this vote:

1) Characters from lesser-known franchises
2) Characters from more modern (post-2000) franchises

Golden Sun and (technically) Advance Wars fit that bill. It's time for them to shine.

They requested that you only vote once.

Wouldn't be too surprised if they log IPs and toss votes if there are several from the same one.
Well crap, if they do that, I'll be pretty disappointed; I sent in a bunch of different suggestions... I should probably try to find a new IP address to vote from...

(long list)
So I probably won't be submitting this myself, since I think I've voted enough already
(see above)
, but you can add Qbby from BOXBOY! under the "Current Game" section; I think he could be a pretty simple and yet unique character in that since he's box-shaped, he could be the only character whose hitboxes line up perfectly with his actual model. Beyond that, for play-style, think of a Mr. Game-and-Watch that can change size/shape at will.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah, the "Smash 6" job posting was definitely to gather extra help with these DLC characters this year.
including Wolf ;)

I'm surprised that they didn't announce any stages for Mewtwo and Lucas, so I'm pretty sure that we are going to get Stage Bundle like Mii Costumes Bundle.

I'm still not sure about new challenges but I'm up of it if they are not going to force us to redo ALL characters again for DLC challenges.

Imagine challenges after last dlc characters asked us to redo Classic and All Stars with ALL characters including DLC characters.

It'd be nice if we were able to unlock exclusive trophies for using the DLC characters in different modes.

Classic: DLC Mewtwo trophy
All-Star: DLC Mewtwo Final Smash Trophy
Challenge: DLC Challenge #1: "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" - DLC CD: "Mewtwo's Theme"

Ahnez

I don't think they will outright discard votes if they are from the same IP

How would they know those were made by the same person? If two brothers vote using the same computer, those were two votes from the same IP, but from two different guys.

I believe they won't do anything unless its obviously cheating (like 20 votes to the same character from the same ip)

It'd be nice if we were able to unlock exclusive trophies for using the DLC characters in different modes.

I assume that's exactly what will be the case. I'd be more surprised if beating Classic and All-Star with Mewtwo (and later, Lucas) doesn't unlock the requisite character and Final Smash trophy, as well as make his alternate character trophy available for purchase in the Trophy Shop.

The CD thing probably isn't happening, though. Shame, as that would be cool.

Soul Lab

seems cool. but I hope custom moves for the dlc fighters are unlocked from the beginning. (or a specific grind at least)

Put me in the camp that believes that characters that are already Assist trophies, Pokeballs bosses or part of another character's final smash won't be considered. Same with Ice Climbers (unless they make Popo and give 4 alts to Nana) and Snake. It doesn't hurt to speculate though. Here's who I'm thinking has some chance.

Mario - Captain Toad (even though he can't jump lol)
Donkey Kong - Dixie, Cranky, K. Rool
Zelda - Impa (Skyward Sword version)
Star Fox - Wolf
Fire Emblem - If character (the game comes out in June for Japan)
Other Nintendo franchises: Inkling, Rhythm Heaven character, Isaac, Wonder Red (thought of putting Ray and Chibi Robo here but I don't think it will happen)
Third Party: I think Sonic is the most likely to get another rep if it did happen, maybe Eggman or something.

I assume that's exactly what will be the case. I'd be more surprised if beating Classic and All-Star with Mewtwo (and later, Lucas) doesn't unlock the requisite character and Final Smash trophy, as well as make his alternate character trophy available for purchase in the Trophy Shop.

The CD thing probably isn't happening, though. Shame, as that would be cool.

Don't kill my dreams. :'(

Still have a strong feeling Magicant will be upscaled for the Wii U version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom